Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It know this is a little of topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for a pc game on steam or something that fans of this game would enjoy? I stopped Andromeda in the middle to play this game when I got it and after beating all of it I have this video game black hole thing going on where I don't feel like playing other games. I'd like to start something new but can't really find anything up to par with Automata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Revengeance?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, go with other Platinum games. Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence are all on sale on Steam right now, give at least one a spin.

Or go find a PS3/360 copy of Nier 1.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Everyone should totally get all of those, just keep in mind that without Open-World RPG elements Platinum character action games are high pace thrill rides that usually last around 6-9 hours, although if you want more there's a plethora of "git gud for S ranks" difficulties stretching to the sky and beyond.

Another bonus is that you can totally finish them in a sitting or two and yes, those three are absolutely worth it at any sale price.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

rio posted:

It know this is a little of topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for a pc game on steam or something that fans of this game would enjoy? I stopped Andromeda in the middle to play this game when I got it and after beating all of it I have this video game black hole thing going on where I don't feel like playing other games. I'd like to start something new but can't really find anything up to par with Automata.

Probably Undertale

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, it depends a lot on what you liked about Automata. If it's the gameplay, definitely pick up those platinum games. However if it was the story, there really isn't all that much that's very similar, although I would at least look into a lets play or something for the original Nier if you really want more of that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Witcher 3 has open world questing + swordfights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you like the visuals of the game and want something similar: http://store.steampowered.com/app/530890/

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gameplay-wise yeah, just play more Platinum games. In terms of story/worldbuilding, hmm. Undertale doesn't quite fit, although it does some great meta-stuff too - one game is unrelentingly bleak, the other is unrelentingly positive unless you murder them all. In the end of the day, there's a reason why people were pumped for Nier Automata, there's a certain flavor to Yoko Taro's games that is hard to find anywhere else.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Aside from Platinum games, Devil May Cry 4:SE (make sure you get the special edition, that's the one on sale right now) on Steam is really solid, probably still my favorite in the character action genre. DMC3 on PC is a terrible port, though. The DMC games are more about weapon combos than the all-i-frame-all-the-time Platinum games.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
If we're talking similarities storywise I think I'd actually recommend MGS2 more than anything. If you want to try another game that tries combining melee fighting with bullet hell elements I'd recommend giving Furi a shot, it arguably makes more of the idea than either Nier ever does.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Revengance is the best game ever made, so it gets my recommendation.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I lent Nier Automata out to a friend.
It's been a month. want to give the DLC a shot.
So, how do you like the game so far?
"Haven't played it yet, my brother is playing Nier every moment he can. he's completely engrossed in the game"

:negative:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Eh, I seem to be the bizarro Platinum game player because I'm the exact opposite of everyone else.

I found Bayonetta to be trivially easy. I never even used Witch Time. I yawned my way to the platinum trophy.

But I find Vanquish to be loving impossible. I've tried playing the drat game three times now and hit a brick wall on the first boss every loving time. And that's on the easiest difficulty setting. I've read every guide there is and absorbed every tip the goons could give, and nothing. Something about that game just won't click in my head. It makes me sad because it seems like it would be pretty awesome if I could figure it out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Finally I can click on this thread after just getting Ending E. Terrific game. One of my favorites. However, I think it peaked in the middle of playthrough C when 2B had the virus. After that, it got increasingly very confusing, even to someone that played Nier. I'm going to have to do a bit of reading. The last few hours got a little Chrono Cross for me there. I was waiting for a big explanation to put all the little story pieces together. It didn't happen. There was just a tiny one that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me and went over my head. It said something about "2B hated to keep killing you." I thought "What? She only did that one time. At the beginning, they died together. When the gently caress is she talking about?" Then I read somewhere that the beginning of the game wasn't the first time 2B and 9S met. 9S just didn't have any past memories. And that's why 2B wanted to maintain no emotions between the two. I did not get that at all from the little speech. I have no idea if this is true or not true, it sounds cool, I wish I would have realized that while playing.

The final ending, ending E, needed to be more I thought. When Yoko Taro wants to show you something bad happening, it lingers. You don't just see the child robots die. They're rescued, brought to some place, you get to hear how scared they are and that they want their mommy, THEN they die. When he wants to show you something good happening, it's a quick cut away.

You should definitely have seen 2B, 9S, and A2 talk, and it would have been nice if you could have controlled one of them again. I never honestly believed 2B was forever dead. So I'm disappointed you didn't get to control her again. It takes a little away from the credits game and having other players sacrifice themselves when the end reward wasn't much. Hell no, I'm not deleting my data so someone could see the pod programs talk to each other. Maybe if Ending E was amazing and something a person had to see, I would have considered it.

It's been a few years since I last played Nier but I didn't notice that much difference in gameplay. That's fine for me because I enjoyed the first Nier's gameplay a lot. But my two main attacks in Automata were the laser and the big hand for single enemies, and an attack to hit all enemies on the screen if there were a lot of enemies. Those were the same main attacks I used in the first Nier. Spending most of the time firing the tiny lasers was similar to firing pages from the book in the first Nier. I wonder if I'm missing something about the gameplay. I was never able to find the ingredients to upgrade my pod, maybe that could have something to do with it. Where's a mushroom?

The soundtrack lived up to the first Nier. It's nearly as incredible. Probably the best part of both games.

Is there anything worth doing after getting the A-E endings? Any must see side quests or fail endings?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Vanquish has the least exploitable systems in a Platinum game and that makes it such a thrill ride

some guy on the bus posted:

Is there anything worth doing after getting the A-E endings? Any must see side quests or fail endings?

Get the quest you get from interacting with the mall lunar tear after interacting with Emil. It's also worth finding his home and you get the conclusion to his storyline by collecting all the weapons and upgrading them to level 4

Nina fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

There was just a tiny one that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me and went over my head. It said something about "2B hated to keep killing you." I thought "What? She only did that one time. At the beginning, they died together. When the gently caress is she talking about?" Then I read somewhere that the beginning of the game wasn't the first time 2B and 9S met. 9S just didn't have any past memories. And that's why 2B wanted to maintain no emotions between the two. I did not get that at all from the little speech. I have no idea if this is true or not true, it sounds cool, I wish I would have realized that while playing.

You missed some very important dialogue. You may want to rewatch that scene again.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

...! posted:

Eh, I seem to be the bizarro Platinum game player because I'm the exact opposite of everyone else.

I found Bayonetta to be trivially easy. I never even used Witch Time. I yawned my way to the platinum trophy.

But I find Vanquish to be loving impossible. I've tried playing the drat game three times now and hit a brick wall on the first boss every loving time. And that's on the easiest difficulty setting. I've read every guide there is and absorbed every tip the goons could give, and nothing. Something about that game just won't click in my head. It makes me sad because it seems like it would be pretty awesome if I could figure it out.

If you're willing to pick it up on PC the Mouse and Keyboard controls make it much easier and it feels tons better than using a controller. You'll be headshotting robots in slowmo all the time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine that the 2E reveal doesn't mean nearly as much if you didn't do amnesia. Somehow it was one of the three side quests I did, so lucky me.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

No Wave posted:

I imagine that the 2E reveal doesn't mean nearly as much if you didn't do amnesia. Somehow it was one of the three side quests I did, so lucky me.

What's that?

Yeah, when they said her real name was 2E like it was a big reveal, I was thinking "Ok, her name is a different letter of the alphabet?" :confused:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Game patched yet?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
E stands for execution. Units specifically designed to kill other androids. So 2B's purpose was to be a leash for 9S and anytime he finds out too much then she kills him.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Major spoiler: 2B wasn't a "Battle" model. She was actually 2E, which is an "Execution" model. Her job was to kill 9S whenever he got too close to the truth about the council of humanity. 9S is naturally inquisitive, so he'd always eventually start to wonder why command was making certain decisions.

The whole A/B Route, 2B is trying her best to not get too attached to him, because she knows she'll have to kill him again eventually. This is the reason why her character is so unemotional at the beginning of the game and often shuts down any deep thoughts 9S may have about any given mission. 9S was very close to getting himself executed in the bunker by 2B before the start of Route C.

Edit: extra big spoilers: The E models were at least brought up in some of the text files late game, and I thought they were in at least one main quest. I may be wrong. That said, I am fairly certain A2 literally says 2B was an execution model during her little monologue to 9S.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 30, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The side quest amnesia is really good and easy and you meet an e-type model. It explains the concept as well as what those models go through emotionally.

"do amnesia" is the advice I'd want a new player to have, but I'd also want its narrative importance to be a surprise. Sort of a pickle.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 30, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This conversation we're having about 2B and 9S's relationship is why I love Romeos and Juliets so much. It perfectly serves the role of Shakespearean story-within-a-story by encapsulating an important aspect of the plot within that smaller story.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Tatumje posted:

Major spoiler: 2B wasn't a "Battle" model. She was actually 2E, which is an "Execution" model. Her job was to kill 9S whenever he got too close to the truth about the council of humanity. 9S is naturally inquisitive, so he'd always eventually start to wonder why command was making certain decisions.

The whole A/B Route, 2B is trying her best to not get too attached to him, because she knows she'll have to kill him again eventually. This is the reason why her character is so unemotional at the beginning of the game and often shuts down any deep thoughts 9S may have about any given mission. 9S was very close to getting himself executed in the bunker by 2B before the start of Route C.

Edit: extra big spoilers: The E models were at least brought up in some of the text files late game, and I thought they were in at least one main quest. I may be wrong. That said, I am fairly certain A2 literally says 2B was an execution model during her little monologue to 9S.

Thank you. Why did they give 2B the virus while 9s was still alive?

By the way, are there big android cities somewhere? Or are the ones in the Resistance Area the last group? Is there anyone overseeing the destruction of YoRha?

I'm going to replay that last part again. I could have missed something just because I was playing it at 3 AM. (Going to work with 2 hours sleep)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Tatumje posted:

Also there's foreshadowing at the end of A/B when 2B says "Why does it always have to end this way?" She's done this before and she's sick of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tarezax posted:

This conversation we're having about 2B and 9S's relationship is why I love Romeos and Juliets so much. It perfectly serves the role of Shakespearean story-within-a-story by encapsulating an important aspect of the plot within that smaller story.
Yeah it's really cool how that comedic bit is replayed again as tragedy in the later part of the game, when 9S is destroying the different 2B copies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

By the way, are there big android cities somewhere? Or are the ones in the Resistance Area the last group? Is there anyone overseeing the destruction of YoRha?

I'm going to replay that last part again. I could have missed something just because I was playing it at 3 AM. (Going to work with 2 hours sleep)

Due to what happened with Eve 9S was seriously out of date with the regular check up to the server meaning that he was mostly safe from the virus but even still it got into his system. 2B was less updated with the server but still more recently then 9S so she got hit earlier by it. In regards to other androids I think there are other groups scattered around the planet, you just never see them as you are too busy dealing with everything in your small area.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If nothing else there's north defence HQ or whatever who send YoRHa troops to fight the sea monter. There aren't many of them but they fight all over the planet.

Likewise you'd think that the resistance are just scrappy guerrillas, but they also coordinate orbital launches, run 12 space stations other than the Bunker, and have aircraft carriers.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Id assume the regular androids have some larger bases of their own or itd mean the machines already won since theyd hold most of the land and production capabilities. Of course i cant think of any mention one way or ther other so who really knows.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

No one gave 2B the virus specifically. 9S halted the data sync, so they were the only two YorHa that weren't infected. 2B was re-infected by the virus by the zombie YorHa flight units in the section between the bunker blowing up and 2B crash landing. The enemy flight units during that section shoot yellowish blasts that cause the virus.

2B got 9S to safety before he could be infected. 9S was having a mental breakdown for most of Route C, but I think he only got infected by the virus when he tried attaching a spare 2B arm to himself.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
What a ride! Spoilers and musings:

The whole Bunker and it's entire mission are a sham because humanity stopped being a thing ages ago, the aliens are already dead and gone, and the big enemy machines just want to live on the server on the moon in peace, but some assholes are honoring the memory of their creators by trying to re-claim the planet. 9S is really good at his job but he's a little too inquisitive, so 2B/E has to murder him when he asks the wrong questions, and she's based on 2A who survived a botched mission via adaptability and went rogue when she found out the truth. Everyone I like died in anguish, so the final ending was a nice palette cleanser that cheered me up.

All because thousands of years ago, a giant monster and a dragon came out of the sky, got blown up, and the world started to die. Some time later, Gary Busey lost his temper and hosed up the dude trying to save the world, and then unmade himself to prove a point.

this cannot continue and become as gods are game of the forever moments.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So did anyone else have this thought when A2 was fighting N2 in her memory: "Hang on....six/seven year old girl in red dress...whose voice changes from a young girls to stereotypically evil...and then splits into hundred copies, including some that are 50 feet tall...oohh sheet, THE MACHINES ARE CONTROLLED BY THE WATCHERS! :supaburn:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

So did anyone else have this thought when A2 was fighting N2 in her memory: "Hang on....six/seven year old girl in red dress...whose voice changes from a young girls to stereotypically evil...and then splits into hundred copies, including some that are 50 feet tall...oohh sheet, THE MACHINES ARE CONTROLLED BY THE WATCHERS! :supaburn:

I'm just surprised you didn't start wondering about that when you saw Eve's tattoos.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really enjoyed Jackass' plot summation in her memo at the very end (endgame spoilers, if that wasn't obvious from context):

So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *****ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really enjoyed Jackass' plot summation in her memo at the very end (endgame spoilers, if that wasn't obvious from context):

So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *****ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

Basically the perfect metaphor for life.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What is the explanation for why Earth stopped rotating, and how this hasn't turned the sun-locked side into a scorching desert?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Basically the perfect metaphor for life.

no that's pod 153 "life is nothing but a series of embarrassing moments."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
And that's because the machines have the capability to completely annihilate the androids at any time but they choose not to. The machine network was designed to fight the androids and has discovered that it values the fight itself more than it values victory. It would lose its sense of purpose if the androids were wiped out.

Plus it's obsessed with studying and emulating humanity. Emil's the only living human and the network eventually realizes that he's not exactly normal. So, besides Emil, the androids are the only living remnants of humanity for it to study. So it cycles between bringing the androids to the brink of extinction and then holding back so they could rebuild. Thus the androids can't possibly lose. The machine network isn't actually trying to win. The android higher-ups eventually discover this and choose to hide it from the other androids. Thus Jackass being pissed when she finds out.

Of course, Eve derails the network's plan when he actually does try to drive the androids to extinction in his grief. So by killing Eve, 2B/9S actually cause the network to be relieved.