Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Assassin seems so hastily put-together I can't help but feel like it was done just to pander to "but it was in the AD&D PHB!"

But then they don't have the ridiculously powerful disguise skill:

quote:

There is a base chance of 2% per day of a disguised assassin being spotted. This chance goes upwards by 2% if the assassin is posing as another class, another race, and/or the opposite sex (maximum of 8% chance).

Nor the assassination table:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Valentin posted:

I need suggestions on what to play in my campaign, if anyone has ideas. Four player game, I'm definitely the most familiar with D&D and most prone to min-maxing. My goal is to make a character I think is interesting to play, can plug gaps in our line-up, and is mechanically sound enough to help save party members who do silly things without being so strong on a round-to-round basis as to make the other players (rogue, sorc, pally) feel irrelevant. My current character, a monk, is great, but I think the paladin feels sub-optimal next to me, which kind of bums me out. I don't want to play something CHA-based, since we're already heavy on that, and supplemental healing would be a nice bonus. I feel like I'm talking myself into a wizard or cleric at this point: any fun cleric or wizard build ideas? Or anything I'm overlooking?

e: I'm open to pretty much anything from UA and official WOTC publications (which is probably part of the issue; my kensei monk was built to maximize AC which I think left the paladin feeling a little pointless).

My current favourite gimmick is Cleric(Nature)1/DruidX, 14 DEX and max WIS. All kinds of utility from spells, and also great flavour if you're into nature-based characters.
Alternately, start as a Rogue at level 1 and just have tons of skills; take the Scout archetype if you take Rogue to 3 and wanna double-down on nature stuff, or go Arcane Trickster for even more utility spells.

You can sub in Knowledge domain in place of Nature pretty easily, too; less flavour but even more skill/tool capability.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 29, 2017

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

P.d0t posted:

My current favourite gimmick is Cleric(Nature)1/DruidX, 14 DEX and max WIS. All kinds of utility from spells, and also great flavour if you're into nature-based characters.
Alternately, start as a Rogue at level 1 and just have tons of skills; take the Scout archetype if you take Rogue to 3 and wanna double-down on nature stuff, or go Arcane Trickster for even more utility spells.

You can sub in Knowledge domain in place of Nature pretty easily, too; less flavour but even more skill/tool capability.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. What's the Cleric 1 here for, medium armor proficiency?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Valentin posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. What's the Cleric 1 here for, medium armor proficiency?

Skills and first level cleric spells (Bless).

There's very little reason to do it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What's the worst possible multiclass? Is it wizard 1 into barbarian 4? I'm giving up extra attack just so I can be a failed wizard who can only do prestidigitation and tenser's floating disc and then hulk out when people aren't impressed.

You know i'm picking berserker barb. I'm gonna get so sleepy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I was thinking that would be good if mage armor stacked with unarmored defense but....nope.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Barbarian + Sorcerer is worse because you can't cast rituals.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Krinkle posted:

What's the worst possible multiclass? Is it wizard 1 into barbarian 4? I'm giving up extra attack just so I can be a failed wizard who can only do prestidigitation and tenser's floating disc and then hulk out when people aren't impressed.

Nah actually 1 level of wizard is genuinely useful for a bunch of minor utility spells and most importantly having the Shield spell to retroactively cancel attacks when they hit a couple of times a day.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Conspiratiorist posted:

Barbarian + Sorcerer is worse because you can't cast rituals.

Make it a wild sorc so the few spells you do cast blow the party up or turn you into a potted plant.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Already hammered this out with the DM but want to see how other people would solve this:
Wizard barbarian beating the poo poo out of someone with his spellbook in a frenzied rage - is he proficient in spellbooks? Does two handing it bump it up from an improvised 1d4 to like a 1d6 or something?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Krinkle posted:

Already hammered this out with the DM but want to see how other people would solve this:
Wizard barbarian beating the poo poo out of someone with his spellbook in a frenzied rage - is he proficient in spellbooks? Does two handing it bump it up from an improvised 1d4 to like a 1d6 or something?

Only with Tavern Brawler.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Curse of Strahd spoilers We ran into the mad wizard. Our DM had an undead juvenile black dragon living in the lake. We managed to kill it and take his phylactery.
I (monk) and our artificer passed charisma checks when touching it. It ended up that this super high level wizard almost became possessed by an evil dragon but he lost a grapple check with the gnome artificer. When he tried to grapple he dropped his staff which I took and ran away with. I buried it and later snuck it back to our artificer to identify. Now we apparently have a staff of the magi in our bag of holding that this forgetful wizard can't remember about because of his insanity and mind blank. Next session should be interesting.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Krinkle posted:

I'd say that if it's an isolated incident, the book would count as an improvised weapon and follow all the relevant rules. If he does make a habit of it I'd probably give him proficiency with spellbooks-as-weapons for shits and giggles. 1d4 bludgeoning damage seems like the bare minimum, could go higher if he has the book's spine reinforced with iron or the like.

It'd also depend on the general tone of the game, of course.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Just pay an extra 15 elfbucks, say your spellbook is heavily plated in iron, and treat it as a warhammer (1d8 or 1d10 2-handed).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Krinkle posted:

there is a variant of a pathfinder class that uses a spellbook as the primary melee weapon

it counts as a light mace

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 30, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

What's the worst possible multiclass?

Fighter / Barbarian because you lose out on the final Extra Attack without really picking up anything significant.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Valentin posted:

So if you're a Druid1, you know 2 Druid cantrips, and you prepare 1+WIS number of Druid spells
When you add Cleric1 onto that, you know 3 Cleric cantrips, and you prepare 1+WIS number of Cleric spells

So already, you're covering off some good spells like Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word etc. with your Cleric spells, and then you can just do whatever with your Druid stuff.
Your WIS boosts will let you prepare a couple more Cleric spells and Druid spells; if you're feeling dangerous, you can even dip into Ranger for a couple levels and have that cover your standbys like Goodberry (which gets you a couple more class features, and your spell DC for these classes will all key off the same stat.) Basically just depends what the highest level of spells is that you want to end up with.

On top of that, Nature domain gives you "Speak With Animals" and "Animal Friendship" as always-prepared (and both are rituals, so you can pretty much cast them as much as you want) AND an additional Druid cantrip AND prof with one of Animal Handling/Nature/Survival. So you can contribute a lot in non-combat situations with skills or stuff like Druidcraft or Thaumaturgy, while still having whatever damaging cantrips you want from either class.

Basically it's just a bigger all-around boost to the breadth of your utility than going straight Druid, but it keeps you in the same fluff-space. You can use the heavy armor prof from Nature domain if you want to build around STR for defense rather than DEX, but I prefer the latter. And errata has said that you can feel free to ignore the "Druids will not wear metal armor" as it's only meant to be fluff, and they basically call out having any sort of background with using other armors (particularly, being another class) as perfectly fine justifications for a Druid wearing whatever they want.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 30, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Monk/Paladin? Either you turn off a lot of what makes one class worthwhile or the other, you have half a character's worth of half-caster progression, and at least four of your six stats are hungry for points. (We can assume the strongest build might skip strength and INT isn't needed). You also don't get to stack your extra attack traits.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Monk/Paladin? Either you turn off a lot of what makes one class worthwhile or the other, you have half a character's worth of half-caster progression, and at least four of your six stats are hungry for points. (We can assume the strongest build might skip strength and INT isn't needed). You also don't get to stack your extra attack traits.

I mean, you need 13s in four stats just to meet the MC requirements, and then you probably want at least a 14 CON on top of that.
And you're right about all the other stuff; that's what makes this worse than Ranger/Paladin, easily.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
All the phases of D&D Beyond are now available.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Is Paladin in general a bad multiclass?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Tir McDohl posted:

Not for Sorcerer or Bard, or possibly Fighter or Barbarian too. It's a matter of the stats required for multiclassing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tir McDohl posted:

Not with other charisma oriented class (Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard). The synergy is strong especially if you take your first level in paladin because the armors and weapons proficiencies are a lot better than the warlock or sorcerer ones.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tir McDohl posted:

Paladin seems like a pretty versatile multiclass since they're a melee class that likes having more spell slots. Wis and Int based classes are vastly suboptimal but you could probably still be viable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tir McDohl posted:

Paladin has excellent level 2-6 (and 7 for ancients) features, so no, not by a long shot.

For (charisma-based) spellcasters taking Paladin turns them into an effective gish, and for martials, well... Paladin is the better combat class so it actually should be Paladin just taking dip in Fighter/Barb/Warlock to round themselves out.

Special case for Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster as two levels of Paladin gives them something useful to do with their spell slots that isn't Shield and Resist Elements.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

what's like, the most broken combination you can think of?

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Cease to Hope posted:

there is a variant of a pathfinder class that uses a spellbook as the primary melee weapon

That's fantastic, what is the class?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Paladin 2/Sorcerer X, you get heavy armor and smites, then get Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade and you can smite off it. Quickened and Twin Spell metamagics get you more castings of same (and another smite with each). Or you can just enjoy being only one level below full caster progression in terms of slots and blow people up like a regular sorc while also benefiting from heavy armor and a shield.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 30, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Verisimilidude posted:

what's like, the most broken combination you can think of?

Like with Paladin or in the game?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
honestly both please. I always just play traditional single class characters, show me the Wild side.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bladesinger wizard ignoring the "melee" part seem pretty great on their own - 19 AC at level 2 is pretty nuts for a frail caster dude, you don't really need warcaster with the bladesinging "add int to concentration" thing, and...you're a wizard.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jack B Nimble posted:

honestly both please. I always just play traditional single class characters, show me the Wild side.

Best Paladin is probably some combo of Pal/Warlock/Sorc/Fighter but I don't know the balance.

Most powerful possible is 2 Fighter/17 Divination Wiz/1 Who Cares.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Bladesinger wizard ignoring the "melee" part seem pretty great on their own - 19 AC at level 2 is pretty nuts for a frail caster dude, you don't really need warcaster with the bladesinging "add int to concentration" thing, and...you're a wizard.

Warcaster's neat for tagging people with Booming Blade on oppos. Nasty surprise.

mango sentinel posted:

Best Paladin is probably some combo of Pal/Warlock/Sorc/Fighter but I don't know the balance.

Most powerful possible is 2 Fighter/17 Divination Wiz/1 Who Cares.

Never not go Wiz 18 for infinite Shields and Misty Steps.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reclaimer posted:

Never not go Wiz 18 for infinite Shields and Misty Steps.

Does an Adult Gold Dragon really need those?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

mango sentinel posted:

Does an Adult Gold Dragon really need those?

What's scarier, a dragon or a dragon that also teleports as a bonus action and has an AC 5 higher than usual?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reclaimer posted:

What's scarier, a dragon or a dragon that also teleports as a bonus action and has an AC 5 higher than usual?

I mean I guess if they're not doing anything else with their reaction... It's probably stronger than any lvl 1 dip.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

Paladin 2/3/6 and Sorcerer works really well. 2-dip is just for the smites and proficiencies, and uses quickened and twinned cantrips (GFB, BB) to get its attacks, while not losing the chance for 9th level spells if the game lasts that long. 6/14 is more like a traditional Paladin and simply takes sorcerer for quickened cantrips and more smite slots (also flight at level 14 for draconic as the multiclass capstone).

Paladin taking 3 levels of Tome Warlock gets a Charisma-based ranged option through Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, the Devil's Sight + Darkness combo for easy advantage, a pair of short-rest replenishing smite slots, and Shillelagh so they can attack using Charisma. Quarterstaves are already great weapons (Shield + Dueling Fighting Style + Polearm Master), and become downright amazing for a Paladin if they get to use their main support stat to attack with them. This multiclass only needs the 3 levels of Warlock to work (taken at any point) but Paladin honestly doesn't get that much good stuff after 11-12 so it might be better for everything past that to just be Warlock.

Paladin and Bard is like the above but it requires 6 levels of Bard to get Shillelagh. Potentially stronger, but takes longer to become active.

If you want to be ridiculously explosive you add 2-3 levels of Fighter (Action Surge + Champion) to any of the above. For that matter, almost every class benefits from getting 2 levels of Fighter for proficiencies and Action Surge.

As for notable multiclasses that aren't those:

Barbarian+Moon Druid that you can read on if you filter my posts.
Barbarogue, ditto.
Sorlock (Warlock 2-3, Sorcerer X) is a damage monster through doublecasting Eldritch Blast.
Warlock 2/Abjuration Wizard gets an at-will Mage Armor that lets them freely recharge their Arcane Ward back to full between fights.
1 level of Fighter is how you make Bladelocks functional.
1 level of Cleric gives Wizards armor and shield proficiencies and access to Bless and the great Cleric cantrips, all without sacrificing their spell slot progression.
Fighter 1-2 + Monk. Basically, you stop pretending that martial arts and unarmored defense are worth a poo poo, while benefiting from the rest of the Monk's kit (everything that uses Ki still works just fine).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ambi posted:

That's fantastic, what is the class?

living grimoire but the image I posted above is the only good thing about it, it's a mess

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sorlock (Warlock 2-3, Sorcerer X) is a damage monster through doublecasting Eldritch Blast.

This sounds like my poo poo since I'm currently playing a straight warlock because I'm not very good at 5e character building and I LOVE Eldritch Blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There's very few compelling reasons to play Warlock past 3 if you plan on multiclassing at all tbh (or even past 2 if you don't care about familiars). I highly recommend sorlock.