Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, finally

rank 13 was harder than 11 or 12, lots of ups and downs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is there any way to make botchling/lubberkin viable? The card description makes it sound like you should be cloning them somehow but you can't do that due to them being silver. Are they just a 5/10 strength morkvarg that can only come back once?

botching, then decoy your botchling, then have a big strong rhea round 2

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just started this and although I have been playing CCGs for a long rear end time I have been struggling a lot. It seems like the starter decks are pretty much poo poo and I can't make any headway with pve challenges or pvp. I'm willing to put some cash in but I was wondering around how many kegs I need to at least reach the point I can get the daily keg without losing 12 games to do it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

I just started this and although I have been playing CCGs for a long rear end time I have been struggling a lot. It seems like the starter decks are pretty much poo poo and I can't make any headway with pve challenges or pvp. I'm willing to put some cash in but I was wondering around how many kegs I need to at least reach the point I can get the daily keg without losing 12 games to do it?

Pves challenges are perfectly doable, most likely it's a question of grokking some game mechanics you still haven't assimilated fully.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I did all of the challenges before dumping any cash into it, so it is definitely doable.

Mind letting us know what you're having trouble with? It's likely just a couple basic principles you're missing that aren't as apparent from the get-go (e.g., card advantage is an enormous premium in this game — much more so than something like HS or MTG).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

gently caress these stupid goddamn Kambi decks, even with shackles they have like 3 ways to unlock them.

Every game devolving into "play some gigantic bullshit card right at the very end of the game that can't be answered" is really lame. Oops, you spent the entire round building a 50 point lead? Welp haha here's a single card to completely negate every play you made this round.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They should just give up on Gold cards as a concept.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some Gold cards are out of control.

At first, like at the start of the closed beta, the nominal value of bronze cards was 8 strength, silvers was 10, and gold was 12-13. Or at least that was the plan.
Look at Triss, 7 + 5 dmg = 12.
Geralt, 10 or 13 strength = ~12 on average.
Cerys, 6, when resurrected another 6 = 12.
Draug, 7 value + 6 damage= 13.
That's how gold cards should be. But we definitively had 'power creep' in the game.

There are gold cards that are valued perfectly in ~20 points.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

gently caress these stupid goddamn Kambi decks, even with shackles they have like 3 ways to unlock them.

Every game devolving into "play some gigantic bullshit card right at the very end of the game that can't be answered" is really lame. Oops, you spent the entire round building a 50 point lead? Welp haha here's a single card to completely negate every play you made this round.

If you can, shackle Hjalmar instead of Kambi.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Syrinxx posted:

There is a secret to getting your six winning rounds in quickly, while still getting exp for the game and even the gg bonus: go absurdly all-in on round one, most people will pass at some point, just win the round. Concede when you see the little half crown filled in, but before the next mulligan starts.

Also the beginner decks can easily beat the PVE stuff, they even nerfed the dagon one that used to be actually difficult.

As for improving the beginner decks: geralt is really not very good, triss is much better. Dudu is doodoo, commanders horn is poo poo as well. I know you don't have much to work with, but generically each faction's "mage" silver is seeing huge use right now, that's Vanhemar, Water Hag, Gremist, Dethmold and I guess Ida Emean. They are very flexible and powerful. People might not agree with me but I think king of beggars is a good value neutral silver in any deck with weather, it also works well against more refined decks to match their big tempo plays that you don't have.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Golds seem worth about 16 now. They're a little crazy. But I also feel like drawing all of my golds during CB gave me a bigger edge than it does in OB, possibly because bronzes are stronger now. Other people might disagree.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

RatHat posted:

If you can, shackle Hjalmar instead of Kambi.

Most people wait a turn until Kambi goes off to drop Hjalmar, so it's really hard to play against, especially since you don't know if they're bluffing and you can't really wait to see if they don't actually have him in hand.

Doesn't help that some of the Kambi decks basically look exactly like a regular SK deck until it's too late.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A problem I see with golds is that they completely nullify other decks entire designs. Scoiatel action-decks for instance will commonly not put any bronze cards on the board at all until the end of the third round, content to pelt away at you with endless removal backed up by a few strong gold cards. (one iteration of this deck can play scorch thrice in one match) The only real answer to this is to have exceptionally resilient bronze/silvers or stronger gold cards of your own. Whatever removal or weather you yourself bring into the match-up is effectively forfeit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

A problem I see with golds is that they completely nullify other decks entire designs. Scoiatel action-decks for instance will commonly not put any bronze cards on the board at all until the end of the third round, content to pelt away at you with endless removal backed up by a few strong gold cards. (one iteration of this deck can play scorch thrice in one match) The only real answer to this is to have exceptionally resilient bronze/silvers or stronger gold cards of your own. Whatever removal or weather you yourself bring into the match-up is effectively forfeit.
So what? This is true in every card game. The way you win is the same - put down threats that can't be answered efficiently given the reactive tools you can infer that they're running. What this means changes from deck to deck.

If these reactive cards are too strong, that's a separate issue. But the core of those scoia decks are removals and three bronzes, it doesn't have much to do with golds.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because it's boring. If Gwent was a swingy as say Yugioh I wouldn't have a problem. Instead, what Gwent is supposed to be is a long grind match where both players tug back and forth until one player successfully gets the opposing player to over-invest, waste their key cards or let you reach round three with a too big hand. Since open beta launched Gwent is officially in its Face Hunter stage where nothing matters because several decks are structured around ignoring the three-round system all-together. At least in closed beta the swingy nature of turn 3 Dimeritium Bomb/Weather/Scorch/Rally, for all its faults, facilitated some value in how turn 1 and 2 was conducted.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 28, 2017

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Spell decks can be countered by just getting card advantage over them. Ideally, you can bait them into making lovely plays in round 1 like playing weather on an empty board, letting you get a huge tempo lead, and then pass. Usually this either wins you the round or forces them to go down 2 cards in order to win. Either of these is good for you because it means you'll have the advantage in round 3. Winning round 1 is better though if you can drag out round 2 and force them to play their bronzes early. But don't sacrifice card advantage to do this.

The rest should be pretty easy as long as your deck has a card that can deal with hugely buffed units. And if you do, you're pretty likely to have drawn it by round 3. And if you don't, well, this is just a bad matchup for your deck.

There's also the option of completely making GBS threads on them by playing regis, but he's hardly necessary. Just handy if you feel like destroying their entire gameplan with a single card (that's fairly good against a bunch of different decks).

Really, this is a strong deck but it's far from being god-tier, and it's countered by about as much stuff as other strong decks are. The problem is that it's usually boring to play against.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It's not about how strong it is, it's about how aggravating it is to play against.
Some decks (Bloody Baron/Weather) just cant play against it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Slowhanded posted:

I did all of the challenges before dumping any cash into it, so it is definitely doable.

Mind letting us know what you're having trouble with? It's likely just a couple basic principles you're missing that aren't as apparent from the get-go (e.g., card advantage is an enormous premium in this game — much more so than something like HS or MTG).
Mostly I felt like the base mechanics/synergy of all the colors couldn't even be attempted with the starter decks plus whatever few kegs I've earned. Like oh here's a faction that seems to use frost a lot and I have 0 cards that actually create frost. Or here's one where all this poo poo talks about revealing cards but I only have one unit that benefits from the card revealing.

I'll use the tips posted here to try and at least get through the PVE challenges and cheese the 1 keg per day, thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I mean ultimately I assume the end goal is to create a fun game and even if you win, playing against completely uninteractive decks has literally never been fun in the history of card games.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Spell'a'spell has never bothered me (and neither has Freeze mage in HS... believe it or not) because there is interaction in trying to make the removal pieces in their hand fit as poorly with your board as possible. This is a minority opinion though.

Even the spell decks aren't nearly as uninteractive as CB Ragh Nar Roogh though. That one's the king of hosing an entire round of effort.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Spell'a'tell is such a lesser evil now in the age of endless goddamn frost everywhere.

The leader winrate and popularity graphic from GwentUp is pretty amazing in case anyone missed it https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6jeehh/leaders_winratepopularity_l_vs_l_stats_and/ - it's a good sign when 75% of the highest ranks are occupied by Skellige and Monsters decks right? I don't feel nearly as bad about my Nilfgaard deck's performance after looking at NG's general win rates though. Yikes!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Foltest up there is a ticking time-bomb.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

Spell'a'spell has never bothered me (and neither has Freeze mage in HS... believe it or not) because there is interaction in trying to make the removal pieces in their hand fit as poorly with your board as possible. This is a minority opinion though.

Even the spell decks aren't nearly as uninteractive as CB Ragh Nar Roogh though. That one's the king of hosing an entire round of effort.

i agree with this. but i also didn't mind playing against miracle rogue in HS when that deck was super strong.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Of the spell decks that appeared pre-patch, the Scoia'tel version was the worst, the Nilfgaard one was too good because it abused a mechanic that should not have stayed dead in CB, and the Skellige version was the actual good one and it eventually morphed into weather Axemen and survives to this day.

Then Scoia'tel spell died as Skellige started to include Regis because of mirror matches.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Foltest up there is a ticking time-bomb.

Swim was playing a 40-card Foltest deck yesterday and it worked shockingly well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I wish they would roll out some more frequent hotfixes for bugs - it is super annoying that Succubus is somehow still broken on consoles, considering it's a majorly important card in one of the only decent decks that isn't some drat flavor of Skellige, and it really hurts the matchup against the most dominant decks in the meta.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I saw a bug today where i mulliganed 3 elven wardancers in a row, and the third one just didnt deploy

it went back into my deck like a normal card would. I ended up drawing it third round and losing by 4 points.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
At this point I'm like 99% sure Crones are a trap and should not be played. Getting one turn a few points above rate isn't worth half your silver slots and horrible mulligans.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

King Pawn posted:

At this point I'm like 99% sure Crones are a trap and should not be played. Getting one turn a few points above rate isn't worth half your silver slots and horrible mulligans.

As a counter-point, I put together a crones-focused deck and went 17-6 in the 2200-2700 mmr range last night. I think the occasional bad mulligan is definitely infuriating, but crones are a 20-point swing at will + thinning if you use them in an earlier round, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

I barely started to play this game and i already hear my wallet's cries of pain

Nilfgaard will reign supreme :hist101:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
There's going to be a dev stream on monday.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
To expand on my last post and try to stimulate a bit of discussion (and brag a little I guess) I'll post my deck. It's not blazingly original but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

from ~3k-3200 RIP nilfgaard

I really like most of the choices in here. No crones means you can put in some nice tech silvers and I can play foglets+frost dogs while almost never having a really brutal mulligan. I don't see myself going back. Random notes:

• Succubus and Bekkers Twisted Mirror are nutted in this meta. Huge axemen, huge ekimmaras, those annoying Scoiatael bronzes can face the wrath of my ridiculous 50+ point swing turn. Even in the "bad" matchups you can usually get acceptable value from these (I learned my lesson from one of the losses to not be too greedy with BTM), and the ceiling is sky-high.
  • Ciri is still really good. The nerf mattered, a bit, but it's still one of the only sources of true card advantage and there are no other golds I really want to run.
  • Cyprian is kind of medium. It shuts off deathrattles like Nekker or harpy eggs, is good value on Morkvarg in r1 etc. but it's one of the cards I'm less enthused about.
  • There could be some wiggle room in the bronzes. Drowner and the Bloodcurdling Roar have performed very well for me, but harpies are solid rather than great without consume synergies and I'm not a huge fan of the bronze fog either. If any of you have suggestions for replacing those or Cyprian I'd be interested in testing some stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Crones are good, but they would be better if every single deck wasn't all-in on winning round 1 at all costs. If you can pop them in round 1, having a crone in hand is basically an extra gold worth of points, but the way the mulligan system works can really gently caress you over hardcore going into r2 and 3, and especially if the opponent is running Avallc'h.

Honestly though there just isn't a whole lot of competition for silver slots in monsters. Fiend and Water Hag are incredibly good, but you can run those and crones. Then you've got Katakan and Frightener, which are also really good. After that the quality starts to dip unless you are running a consume list, which has a few more options like the Toad and Monster Nest and stuff, but even then most of the top consume decks are just using the Crones / Fiend / Hag package.

Weather just doesn't have anything better, really. You're stuck with like, Jotun and Cyprian Wiley, which have some niche use but are way too inconsistent and generally get worse in later rounds, which is bad in a deck that already has quite a few cards that you don't really want to see in R3.

King Pawn posted:

[*] Ciri is still really good. The nerf mattered, a bit, but it's still one of the only sources of true card advantage and there are no other golds I really want to run.

Have you tested Caretaker at all? He's been pretty good for me in a lot of matchups. If you manage to lock Morkvarg R1 you can steal him out of their graveyard, or yank one of their bears so it can't be revived. Against NR you can steal their dude that buffs everything by 1 + 1 armor, which is really fun with harpies and foglets. Once in a while you can interrupt someone's witcher combo or do something completely dumb like revive a shackled Hjalmar or something.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 30, 2017

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I think crones are pretty important in monster weather too because their raw point value potential is not very good otherwise. You can carefully manage r1 and r2, go in to r3 with CA and still lose because you have a real hard time overcoming tibor, hjallmar, spotters, axemen and the like. I run a mardroeme too, works almost as well as cyprian (better even, since it does work in the weather mirror where cyprian does jack).

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Crones are good, but they would be better if every single deck wasn't all-in on winning round 1 at all costs. If you can pop them in round 1, having a crone in hand is basically an extra gold worth of points, but the way the mulligan system works can really gently caress you over hardcore going into r2 and 3, and especially if the opponent is running Avallc'h.

Honestly though there just isn't a whole lot of competition for silver slots in monsters. Fiend and Water Hag are incredibly good, but you can run those and crones. Then you've got Katakan and Frightener, which are also really good. After that the quality starts to dip unless you are running a consume list, which has a few more options like the Toad and Monster Nest and stuff, but even then most of the top consume decks are just using the Crones / Fiend / Hag package.

Weather just doesn't have anything better, really. You're stuck with like, Jotun and Cyprian Wiley, which have some niche use but are way too inconsistent and generally get worse in later rounds, which is bad in a deck that already has quite a few cards that you don't really want to see in R3.

Have you tested Caretaker at all? He's been pretty good for me in a lot of matchups. If you manage to lock Morkvarg R1 you can steal him out of their graveyard, or yank one of their bears so it can't be revived. Against NR you can steal their dude that buffs everything by 1 + 1 armor, which is really fun with harpies and foglets. Once in a while you can interrupt someone's witcher combo or do something completely dumb like revive a shackled Hjalmar or something.

Every silver I play besides Cyprian is really good, like i said BTM is absurd right now. Probably won 4-5 of those games off its strength alone. And crones wouldn't just force me to cut, say, Katakan and Fiend (which i don't want to do) but also the frost dogs that I really like. I actually am considering cutting a harpy and the fog for a third frost+dog, 5 power + frost + deck thinning is better than any other option I can think of.

I have tried Caretaker, it's quite good. Whether it's better than Ciri I really don't know.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I certainly don't buy into the thinning argument for crones (thinning your deck of silvers to get to your... bronzes?) but their place in weather and consume makes sense. Both decks play cards that generate value over longer intervals (vran warrior, frost hounds, etc so getting 20 in one turn is reaply important if someone passes on you early.

Of course that doesn't always happen anymore and you often play out your whole hand round 1. But still, point stands.

That said there are really good silvers even in monsters. Toadgierd especialy is nasty.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I miss the old fire elemental, he still nice if you find yourself lacking good mirror bodies.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Bringing in crones and the foglets makes for such awkward round one mulligans.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

I certainly don't buy into the thinning argument for crones (thinning your deck of silvers to get to your... bronzes?) but their place in weather and consume makes sense. Both decks play cards that generate value over longer intervals (vran warrior, frost hounds, etc so getting 20 in one turn is reaply important if someone passes on you early.

Of course that doesn't always happen anymore and you often play out your whole hand round 1. But still, point stands.

That said there are really good silvers even in monsters. Toadgierd especialy is nasty.

I wonder if it'd be crazy to play Toadgierd in weather monsters. Okay, I don't have any Nekkers to buff, but is that really such a big deal?

Only problem is which other silver to cut besides Cyprian. I feel like my least favourite is Katakan, but that fills some of the gap Crones leave by being a big one-turn play (and can randomly hose Queensguard players, or eat a NR's witcher or something).

Subvisual Haze posted:

Bringing in crones and the foglets makes for such awkward round one mulligans.

Awkward seems too mild - it's legitimately game-losing. Even when you don't draw into a second crone and go "whew, that went ok" all you did in your mulligan phase was not get completely screwed. It is actually nice to be able to shape your hand somewhat for the matchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

lol just ran into a weather axemen deck that basically just ran Avallc'h, Hjalmar, Axemen + Operator, and like 50 loving weather cards, plus 3 shackles and that silver that toggles locks, just in case you think maybe you can shut them down.

Beginning to think maybe CDPR isn't all that great at designing card games.