Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Polish posted:

Will the humble bundle get all the expansions?

And I'm not getting a PS4 until God of War comes out.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Edmond Dantes posted:

This.
I'd just go with Prepare to Die for now, that should keep you busy for a good long while.

its not on sale dude otherwise i would agree. i wouldnt rec it for $20 buckaroos (especially when its been on sale for like $5 almost every time before) when other ones are much cheaper

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xaris posted:

its not on sale dude otherwise i would agree. i wouldnt rec it for $20 buckaroos (especially when its been on sale for like $5 almost every time before) when other ones are much cheaper

Welp. I assumed it'd be on sale since why the gently caress wouldn't it, but I guess they just don't like money.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Is it worth getting the Gold edition or DLC for the Talos Principle?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bigis posted:

Is it worth getting the Gold edition or DLC for the Talos Principle?

Road To Gehenna is really good; I've no idea what Serious DLC or Prototype are but RtG alone puts you over the price for Gold Edition, so you may as well just go for that.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Serious DLC gives you a Serious Sam-themed skin, but also replaces the narrator with Serious Sam himself, complete with new dialogue that discusses the story from a more meta perspective.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Downs Duck posted:

Thank you for Torchlight :)

Is there any reason why this doesn't have the simple login with Steam option like Steam completionist and others? It looks better than other sites, but I'm not sure why I have to register an account.

Not sure - I have only ever used it for quick searching. Never once considered setting up an account as I have no desire to add my own times.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you should not feel bad paying $20 for dark souls 1 even if it has been $5 before

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Given the shoddy build and unplayability without the fan made dsfix you should.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You still get to play dark souls after you begrudgingly installing the fan patch.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Serious DLC gives you a Serious Sam-themed skin, but also replaces the narrator with Serious Sam himself, complete with new dialogue that discusses the story from a more meta perspective.

The voiceover is hilarious and well worth the second playthrough.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Awesome! posted:

you should not feel bad paying $20 for dark souls 1 even if it has been $5 before

this except buying a ps4 to play bloodborne

i will even send them a free copy since i have an extra disk

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Please help me pick between Sniper Elite 4 and Watchdogs 2. I picked up Dying Light, Prey and Dishonored 2 and looking for one more and it's down to one of those. Never played a Sniper Elite game before but I like slow paced stealthy poo poo and am one of those people that likes World War 2 enough to not be burned out on it. I also liked the first Watchdogs fine. I don't give a gently caress about multiplayer/co-op (although the invasions in Watchdogs were fine) and as long as a story isn't making GBS threads in my mouth I don't really care about it either. I just want a sandboxy game with lots of cool poo poo to do and emergent mayhem.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Please help me pick between Sniper Elite 4 and Watchdogs 2. I picked up Dying Light, Prey and Dishonored 2 and looking for one more and it's down to one of those. Never played a Sniper Elite game before but I like slow paced stealthy poo poo and am one of those people that likes World War 2 enough to not be burned out on it. I also liked the first Watchdogs fine. I don't give a gently caress about multiplayer/co-op (although the invasions in Watchdogs were fine) and as long as a story isn't making GBS threads in my mouth I don't really care about it either. I just want a sandboxy game with lots of cool poo poo to do and emergent mayhem.

Consensus seems to be that Sniper Elite 3 is better than Sniper Elite 4. Buy Sniper Elite 3 and save the money, buy Watch_Dogs 2 when it's cheaper? :v:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
If anyone has a Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation from last months humble monthly that they don't want, lemme know. I've had my eye on that game for a while now, but wasn't subscribed last month.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Sniper Elite is like a linear MGSV, Watchdogs 2 is Watchdogs 1 but more fun.

I'd say you'll be happy with either, but WD2 is probably the better bet.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

-Blackadder- posted:

Looking for opinions on a few more horror games....

Pathologic Classic HD
DreadOut
Slender: The Arrival
Monstrum
Oxenfree
Nation Red

Pathologic is draining. Monstrum is light on content but has its charms. Nation Red is fun but I'd suggest looking at Splatter as well. Splatter doesn't have the powerups that Nation has though.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
Thinking of picking up MGSV - Is the complete pack worth it, or should I just get the base game?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

For me the complete pack is cheaper than the base game, so check that. Having said that, none of the DLC is actually worth it, so if that's not the case for you just get the base game IMO.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for these, I already have a few of them, but the others are going on my wish list. And Lords of Xulima, I'll be picking up this sale.

Two unrelated questions....

1. is that Sherlock vs Cthulhu game (The Awakened or something) a good Lovecraftian horror game?

2. Goon opinions on The Talos Principle?

I can answer #1, but keep in mind I haven't played it in years. It's a Sherlock Holmes game first and foremost. The monstrous Lovecraftian stuff is kept on a slow burn, so when it hits, it really hits hard. This makes it one of the most true to the stories Lovecraft games I've ever played, too. Lovecraft was really big on not showing the monster until the very end, if at all, and the game keeps that feeling, which really works in its favor.

It is absolutely and without question a budget title. It's unpolished and janky, and this is the game with the famous Teleporting Watson; they didn't bother creating a running animation for Watson, so they have him teleport behind you when you move.

The puzzles are easy to medium difficulty for a point and click game. I beat it with only consulting a guide once, and that was only because I'm an American and don't need to know no national flowers goddammit.

All told, it's been years since I played it, and still clearly remember a good chunk of it, so it left a lasting impact. I'd recommend it if it's sub-$5 or so.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Madoushi posted:

Thinking of picking up MGSV - Is the complete pack worth it, or should I just get the base game?

The DLC is all cosmetic and not worth anything, just get the base game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

Buy both of these 2

I don't care how much dicks you have to suck or possesions to sell, or delaying this rent this month, make it happen!!

Hmm, it's not so much a money thing, but time. I'm trying to limit myself to around 5-6 games per sale so that I actually play them. I still have about 40 games I haven't touched from when Steam still did dailies/flash sales and I want to avoid making my hoarding worse. Last year I chose a budget limit, got what I could within that budget, and made sure I at least tried all the games, and only beat those I enjoyed. Worked out well.

That said, Talos Principle for sure and I'll consider Gunslinger :v:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I will now recommend some games that I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread.

Jets'n'Guns is really old, but you can pick it up for almost nothing, so I feel like plugging it bc it's one of only a handful of games that I still go back to and replay every couple of years. It's a side-scrolling western shoot 'em up, similar to Tyrian in the sense that the better you do on each level the more money you'll have to buy new weapons, ships, and upgrades in the following levels. I don't even like shoot 'em ups but I still love Jets'n'Guns. The screenshots on the Steam page give a pretty decent sense of what the game is like, and I'm almost certain that the band who made the soundtrack use an old SID chip for their synthesizer, so if you're an old man like me it'll remind you of the glory days of the C64 and Amiga. Recommended for players who enjoy: moving sideways, firing projectiles at hundreds of exploding enemies, upgrading things, nonsensical storylines in broken English.

Dungeon Warfare is probably the best tower defense game on Steam, if you're the kind of boring retard who enjoys tower defense games. It's very similar to Orcs Must Die!, with its variety of wall/floor traps, and emphasis on combos. The better you do on each level, the more points you'll earn to upgrade your traps, and you can make levels more and more difficult by applying a bunch of different modifiers at level start (which will win you more points if you're successful). Recommended for players who enjoy: putting 200 prism towers around their base in Command and Conquer, spending long minutes considering the most effective way to torture hundreds of people to death, upgrading things, human enemies who explode into piles of bloody gibs, retrying for a better score.

Axiom Verge is, I think, like Metroid, but I have never played Metroid, so I can't say whether that's true or not. You run and jump and shoot your way through an enormous, labyrinthine structure, tracking down more and more abilities, weapons, and upgrades that allow you to access more and more parts of the world. I really enjoyed this game, and I don't usually play things like this. I'm probably going to check out Hollow Knight because that sounds like it might be a similar sort of thing. Recommended for players who enjoy: moving sideways, jumping, swinging, blinking, glitching, remote-controlling a headcrab, teleporting, backtracking, upgrading things.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Anti-Hero posted:

Hmm, it's not so much a money thing, but time. I'm trying to limit myself to around 5-6 games per sale so that I actually play them. I still have about 40 games I haven't touched from when Steam still did dailies/flash sales and I want to avoid making my hoarding worse. Last year I chose a budget limit, got what I could within that budget, and made sure I at least tried all the games, and only beat those I enjoyed. Worked out well.

That said, Talos Principle for sure and I'll consider Gunslinger :v:

Thats fair, maybe you need to binge on several short games, hit a long game, do several shorter, maybe really put off the "mediocre" games you really don't want to play in another catagory so you don't have to look at them. Gunslinger can be finished in about.. 7 hours? Maybe sooner if you don't try to hunt for collectibles (There are not very many and it tells you how many out of each level you got). But it's stupid fun so you could finish it in a few sittings with a wide grin on your face.

Talos is longer, depending on how many optional levels and gold-star things you go for, and how good you are, but could be 20-40 hours. I think if you did the bare minimum and pretty competent you could do it in 10-15.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Mu. posted:

I will now recommend some games that I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread.

Dungeon Warfare is probably the best tower defense game on Steam, if you're the kind of boring retard who enjoys tower defense games. It's very similar to Orcs Must Die!, with its variety of wall/floor traps, and emphasis on combos. The better you do on each level, the more points you'll earn to upgrade your traps, and you can make levels more and more difficult by applying a bunch of different modifiers at level start (which will win you more points if you're successful). Recommended for players who enjoy: putting 200 prism towers around their base in Command and Conquer, spending long minutes considering the most effective way to torture hundreds of people to death, upgrading things, human enemies who explode into piles of bloody gibs, retrying for a better score.

This is me.

You also get pusher and puller traps you can use to drop enemies into bottomless pits. When they fall they go "AAAAaaaaaaaaa."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Debating either Everspace or No Man's Sky?

Any thoughts on either? I know NMS got a ton of patches and content, and it looks entertaining now from the support it's gotten post release.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mu. posted:

Dungeon Warfare is probably the best tower defense game on Steam, if you're the kind of boring retard who enjoys tower defense games. It's very similar to Orcs Must Die!, with its variety of wall/floor traps, and emphasis on combos. The better you do on each level, the more points you'll earn to upgrade your traps, and you can make levels more and more difficult by applying a bunch of different modifiers at level start (which will win you more points if you're successful). Recommended for players who enjoy: putting 200 prism towers around their base in Command and Conquer, spending long minutes considering the most effective way to torture hundreds of people to death, upgrading things, human enemies who explode into piles of bloody gibs, retrying for a better score.bably going to check out Hollow Knight because that sounds like it might be a similar sort of thing. Recommended for players who enjoy: moving sideways, jumping, swinging, blinking, glitching, remote-controlling a headcrab, teleporting, backtracking, upgrading things.

Sold! (75% off too)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Same. And they literally announced their sequel today.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Dungeon Warfare may be my single #1 favorite TD on Steam. I enjoyed Defenders Quest a lot, and even Immortal Defense, but Dungeon Warfare beats them out for stupid good ol' fashioned crazy TD fun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Hell yes! :toot: best news I've heard all week

Looks great.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 30, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dungeon Warfare owns hard but I enjoyed it more as a mobile game honestly.

Also don't get NMS, just don't.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Could I get horror games recommendations? I beat SOMA a few weeks ago and loved it, and have the first Amnesia and Alien: Isolation to play. Pretty much any style would be fine since I haven't played a ton of horror games after Silent Hill 4.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr E posted:

Could I get horror games recommendations? I beat SOMA a few weeks ago and loved it, and have the first Amnesia and Alien: Isolation to play. Pretty much any style would be fine since I haven't played a ton of horror games after Silent Hill 4.

Walking/puzzle-"horror"
->Outlast
->Penumbra
->Inside?
->Year Walk?
->The Swapper (not really horror, more creepy and discerning)
->Talos Principle (same writers as the Swapper. again, not horror but discerning and unsettling)
->Five Nights at Freddies (hehe)

Action-"horror"
->Prey
->Dead Space 1+2
->System Shock 2
->Resident Evil 4 + 7
->Silent Hill 2 (again)
->Metro 2033 / Last Light (p light on the horror but good why not)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Nice. This made me wonder if there might be a Jets'n'Guns sequel some day too, and boy oh boy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nova-111, Dragon Fin Soup, Highrise Heroes and One Finger Death Punch in this bundle

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nova-111, Dragon Fin Soup, Highrise Heroes and One Finger Death Punch in this bundle

Yeah, I just came to the thread to see if anyone posted this yet.
Highrise Heroes is a good word-find-based game, and many a goon likes One Finger Deathpunch. I don't know much about Dragon Fin Soup, but it has mixed reviews on Steam.

Edit: on another note, Bundlestars has a deal on Monster Slayers (Complete Ed.) - it's a deck-building game with good reviews. The price (which is lower than Steams price) also includes all the DLC. And you get an additional 5% off with RED5 code.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/monster-slayers-complete-edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496620/Monster_Slayers/

Edit #2 - VVV beaten! VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 30, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I really like High-Rise Heroes.

Bundlestars FWIW has a good deal on Monster Slayers with both of the DLC. It's a deck-building roguelite thingy with good reviews so I snagged it. It's cheaper than the base game on Steam right now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mr E posted:

If you don't mind some reading, I played a gaggle of generally good horror games back in October and wrote a whole bunch about all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Trip report from recent games picked up during Steam Sale:

Dead Cells -- controls feels better, particularly the combat and jumping, than any Metroidvania I've played since SOTN. It just feels tight, like you want this kind of game to play. The gradual advancement and constant death reminds me of Rogue Legacy, but this looks and plays better than that ever did. It's still in Early Access, but there's quite a bit of content now, and they seem to be updating regularly -- just added a bunch of stuff with an update yesterday. Have put more time into this than anything else so far.

Hollow Knight -- this is the Metroidvania I feel like I see most everybody raving about, and I'll say for it that it looks amazing and in particular the sound design is incredible. It all seems to massive, with tons of exploring and a lot of items to acquire. That being said, and maybe this is just playing it at the same time as Dead Cells, the controls (particularly the jumping) feel a little floaty, and it has this annoying thing where hitting an enemy pushes you back slightly. I can get used to it, but it's annoying me now. It's a finished game, so it's got that. Overall, very pleasing, but it just doesn't have for me the perfect feel of Dead Cells.

Starcrawlers -- sci-fi dungeon crawl that I've just started in on. Reminds me a bit of Grimrock, but the sci-fi aesthetics seem incredibly well done. Haven't played enough to say more of substance, but it sure seems stylish.

Cosmic Express -- picked up this train puzzler based on RPS raving, but it just didn't click for me. Maybe because I expect something where you're laying track to play a bit like Pipe Dream and this didn't, or maybe because the basic mechanic just didn't do much for me (and it didn't seem to do much more than the basic mechanic in my limited time with it), but in any event I refunded it and I'll go back to wracking my brain with Stephen's Sausage Roll. Turned that refund into most of Starcrawlers, which feels like a better fit.

Lego World -- this is based in watching my kids play it and them erupting with excitement as they discover some new content in it, like a massive bazooka, or a bulldozer that flattens everything and one around you, or the weird way your character will climb up anything. There seem to be approximately a zillion Lego items and prebuilt vehicles and buildings in the game and there's some kind of story mode that has them going from one weird world to another looking in buildings for plans or some such. They built a giant obstacle course last night with spike traps and flames, so it's got that going for it. Seems very buggy too. Overall different enough from Minecraft -- more than I would have expected -- that they seem be enjoying the change of pace, and for myself, it is pretty cool to see these massive Lego structures go up wherever you want, looking like they were actually constructed brick by brick.

• Locked thread