Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not even sure where to ask this since I don't think there's a minutiae of marketing thread but thought I'd try here.

There's a competitor who is jockeying with us on CPC ads, and I've noticed that recently he's added the "Store" rich snippet to his pages:
http://schema.org/Store

It's a subset of the Organization object. Is there any advantage to doing this, signalling wise, that I'm missing? I'm not talking the implications for local/knowledge graph (e.g. operating hours), but instead for CPC/Shopping Campaigns placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If anyone was ever wondering, Telerik Sitefinity is loving dumpsterfire garbage and I honestly hope they go under as a company. Half of their documentation and example code DOES NOT loving WORK, or has glaring omissions.

Did you know that their link manager example (which doesn't work anyway, and has been broken for two years https://plus.google.com/109228286046305451382/posts/hRQZJsZnooc) saves a loving HTML string to the database, rather than a page GUID? http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-link-selector If you want to create a widget with multiple link selectors in it you need to resort to a year old hack http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/developing-with-sitefinity-/custom-widget-with-multiple-link-selectors

Did you know that their personalization engine replaces content via Javascript? http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-implement-personalized-widgets#page-rendering

Did you know that adding external Javascript resources to your layout has been broken for three and a half years, unless you disable inline page editing? http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/bugs-issues-/scripts-broken-in-latest-update

I'm so sick of this poo poo. Sales sold a project on this janky-rear end piece of poo poo and I've been forced into the build with a compressed timeline. I'm currently updating my resume. I poo poo you not. I am keeping a list of issues and links in an Evernote document and I will be blogging them after I'm done. I will be buying Google ads that point to this blog article whenever someone searches for Sitefinity.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 21, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there any good way to make a background image a set height, and then crop any overflow on the left and right? Like the cover keyword, but only 400px tall instead of the full height? At the moment I have it set to background-size: 100% 380px; which looks pretty acceptable except for breaking the aspect ratio. Testing "auto 380px" maintains the aspect ratio, but only trims from the right when I want it centered and trimming from the right and left if possible.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

If anyone was ever wondering, Telerik Sitefinity is loving dumpsterfire garbage and I honestly hope they go under as a company. Half of their documentation and example code DOES NOT loving WORK, or has glaring omissions.

Did you know that their link manager example (which doesn't work anyway, and has been broken for two years https://plus.google.com/109228286046305451382/posts/hRQZJsZnooc) saves a loving HTML string to the database, rather than a page GUID? http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-link-selector If you want to create a widget with multiple link selectors in it you need to resort to a year old hack http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/developing-with-sitefinity-/custom-widget-with-multiple-link-selectors

Did you know that their personalization engine replaces content via Javascript? http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-implement-personalized-widgets#page-rendering

Did you know that adding external Javascript resources to your layout has been broken for three and a half years, unless you disable inline page editing? http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/forums/bugs-issues-/scripts-broken-in-latest-update

I'm so sick of this poo poo. Sales sold a project on this janky-rear end piece of poo poo and I've been forced into the build with a compressed timeline. I'm currently updating my resume. I poo poo you not. I am keeping a list of issues and links in an Evernote document and I will be blogging them after I'm done. I will be buying Google ads that point to this blog article whenever someone searches for Sitefinity.

I'm definitely keen on reading this eventual blog post (or series?) about this homegrown piece of poo poo.

-JS-
Jun 1, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Is there any good way to make a background image a set height, and then crop any overflow on the left and right? Like the cover keyword, but only 400px tall instead of the full height? At the moment I have it set to background-size: 100% 380px; which looks pretty acceptable except for breaking the aspect ratio. Testing "auto 380px" maintains the aspect ratio, but only trims from the right when I want it centered and trimming from the right and left if possible.

background-position:center; ?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm experiencing this obnoxious bug where my code only works if I step through it:

code:

var iframe = document.getElementById(ctrl);
var result = iframe.contentWindow.document.execCommand("print", false, null);

if (!result)
    iframe.contentWindow.print():

This works perfectly in Safari, IE, and Chrome. In Firefox, it only works if I put a breakpoint and step through it.

Firefox doesn't support execCommand and returns false, so it should be hitting the print() call -- which I can clearly see it does when I step through the code.

Any ideas? :saddowns:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

I'm experiencing this obnoxious bug where my code only works if I step through it:

code:
var result = iframe.contentWindow.document.execCommand("print", false, null);

if (!result)
    iframe.contentWindow.print():
This works perfectly in Safari, IE, and Chrome. In Firefox, it only works if I put a breakpoint and step through it.

Firefox doesn't support execCommand and returns false, so it should be hitting the print() call -- which I can clearly see it does when I step through the code.

Any ideas? :saddowns:

Try catch? (douseewhatididthere?)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm posting from mobile so I didn't want to type it out, but it's wrapped in one. No error log gets created, tried writing to the console but nothing. Breakpoint in the catch doesn't get fired.

If it were throwing an exception then result should be undefined or null, not false, right?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

I'm posting from mobile so I didn't want to type it out, but it's wrapped in one. No error log gets created, tried writing to the console but nothing. Breakpoint in the catch doesn't get fired.

If it were throwing an exception then result should be undefined or null, not false, right?

If it were throwing an exception it wouldn't get to the line where you check the value.

If FF does not support that command, then it *should* be throwing if the method does not exist. You may want to feature-detect it then?

JavaScript code:
if (document.execCommand) {
	// hooray
	iframe.contentWindow.document.execCommand("print", false, null)

} else {
	// silly FF!
	 iframe.contentWindow.print()
}
EDIT: According to MDN Firefox *does* support it... https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Document/execCommand but print isn't one of the things it does.

EDIT THE SECOND: iframe.contentWindow.print() should work cross-browser, but it looks like the same-origin policy can come into play, so maybe that's why FF isn't printing?

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 21, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If anyone here work developing browsers. My personal "gently caress you" for breaking something has simple as window.print().

that we need a wrapper for something has simple as printing the page is insulting.

anyway I imagine tryiing to use iframes or contentWindow cross so drat context, that is tempting to attract the ire of security problems

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This works...

code:

var isFirefox = typeof InstallTrigger !== 'undefined';

setTimeout(function ()
{

if (!isFirefox)
    execCommand();
  else
    print();
}, 500);

I don't really even know what to think anymore.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 21, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

-JS- posted:

background-position:center; ?
That worked, thanks.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

BlackMK4 posted:

You have a kindred soul in me, friend. I worked with that horrible mess for a long time and I just about threw a party the day we abandoned it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have worked with SOAP in two projects. I develop on PHP so sometimes is like helping a passenger land a commercial jet with advices from the control tower.

What I want to know is, who I have to blame for the .... humm... roughness of it all?

Sometimes I have noticed is lack of validation. Like passing the wrong character would generate a null exception on .NET or Java, and if you are lucky the SOAP response would wrap the unhandled exception.

Is this normal as in "thats the right way to do it?".

I have developed API's myself, REST-ish apis, and my api's have like more usability, they tell people about required parameters that are not present and whatever problem arise.

I am working with bad SOAP users, are .NET and Java developers validation-adverse or what is the cause of that?

Should I get angry at these developers?

Can't they, I dunno, wrap their methods in custom exceptions that inject like some meaning in why some request failed? "WRT33432 oops, durr.. your address is bullshit and the agency operator rejected it".

There are like some "good practices" around the .NET and Java world that claim validation of parameters is ungood, handlind excepcions is ungood and what I see is the "good practices" behavior?

For the next episode, I am going to create a SOAP server myself and be the one terrorizing the world. Should I expect suffering and pain tryiing to do a SOAP server in PHP?

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

validating parameters is definitely a nice thing to do. but a lot of developers of SOAP apis expect them to be consumed by auto-generated java or c# code, and don't test for the kind of problems that can arise when consuming it from more dynamic languages..

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tei posted:

Should I expect suffering and pain tryiing to do a SOAP server in PHP?

Yes. Incredible amounts.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Yes. Incredible amounts.

Thanks mates.

Gul Banana posted:

validating parameters is definitely a nice thing to do. but a lot of developers of SOAP apis expect them to be consumed by auto-generated java or c# code, and don't test for the kind of problems that can arise when consuming it from more dynamic languages..

Ok. Understood.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

You have a kindred soul in me, friend. I worked with that horrible mess for a long time and I just about threw a party the day we abandoned it.

Haha, I have an interview Tuesday at a place that the dude that hired me here works now. Pour one out.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Do many people use OpenType features in web fonts? I'm surprised that there are so many features and most are hidden behind generic CSS tags but are actually supported by many browsers. Stuff like tabular numerics:

Or changing how a number 3 appears:

A plethora of options on fonts, even variations of typefaces themselves can be a bit excessive:

For Gotham each one is also licensed separately too, nice. I don't think I can see any difference with "SmartScreen" fonts, maybe it is a give away that typography.com does not have side-by-side comparisons.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
eCommerce question. It's been a long while since I've looked too deeply into eCommerce systems, because generally I assist clients in setting up Shopify.

Right now I have a client looking to do something a little bigger - a multi-vendor marketplace site, somewhat like Amazon. There won't be a huge number of sellers (this won't be like Etsy where tens of thousands of randos will be signing up to sell), but it needs to support multiple independent sellers who can list/maintain their own products, while having a unified shopping cart for buyers.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions as to good eCommerce platforms for this?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Hmm. You mean just one domain that users go to to buy from multiple stores? Or like one account that has multiple stores/domains

At work, we pretty much exclusively work with BigCommerce which is great for mid-sized stores that are too big for Shopify. Their new templating engine is great for developing locally and the app marketplace is pretty great too.

I think when it comes to eCommerce platforms, it's really about the devil you know, but BigCommerce stores are generally fast and easy to develop. It really feels like you're developing a website in 2017, as they utilize webpack and handlebars.js. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's definitely geared towards shops that are too big for Shopify but don't want to spend the money on some large enterprise platform

That being said, BigCommerce is the only eCommerce platform i've worked with, so definitely take my advice with a grain of salt.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but Woocommerce has a few plugins that allow for it:
https://www.wcvendors.com/

I've got a lot of experience in ecommerce, but 90% of it is using custom coded solutions, so when a platform question pops I usually just lazily look around "has someone written a Woocommerce plugin that does this? ok". If the client wants the reassurance of an actual company being behind it, Magento claims to do it, but it can be a PITA to get your head around their counter-intuitive templating system. If they want to pay way too much for software that feels like it was designed in the 70s Net Suite should also be able to do it, though front-end/backend work in that is a nightmare. Have never used bigcommerce.

To avoid:
- OSCommerce
- OpenCart (holy god I could write a book about this)
- 3dCart
- PrestaShop
- ZenCart
- DrupalCommerce

If you want to experiment there's some relatively new RoR and Python implementations out there that I haven't bothered checking out yet:
https://www.ecommwar.com/

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Why you dis-recomend PrestaShop?

Has for osCommerce, holy hell, the last time I did something to it, instead of a plugin system you had to manually merge stuff following hacky instructions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What is so bad about OpenCart? I nearly got a project done with it before the principal got bored with it or whatever and stopped responding to emails, and it didn't seem abjectly terrible. What manner of bullet did I dodge?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Tei posted:

Why you dis-recomend PrestaShop?

Has for osCommerce, holy hell, the last time I did something to it, instead of a plugin system you had to manually merge stuff following hacky instructions.

Most of my work is with "big" ecommerce (e.g. >100,000 skus, inventory/accounting integration, BI analytics, marketplace integration, that kind of thing) so my experience is mostly with moving people off of their old platforms that they've outgrown and onto either a new one I write from scratch, or a more robust bespoke solution. PrestaShop doesn't suck out loud like OpenCart does, but I find that it's not very flexible if you're not a specific kind of small business. As soon as you start scaling up, or need a feature not covered, it gets kind of chancy and you're either looking at custom development that will break updates, or shelling out for a pricey plugin. Woocommerce is much the same, but the marketplace is that much bigger, which has a democratizing effect on the price/availability of themes and plugins. Shopify has the same problem, goodish for small, but as soon as you want to do heavy lifting with data transfer it gets to be a PITA.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PT6A posted:

What is so bad about OpenCart? I nearly got a project done with it before the principal got bored with it or whatever and stopped responding to emails, and it didn't seem abjectly terrible. What manner of bullet did I dodge?

This blog post is kind of the gift that kept giving for a while about OpenCart:
http://www.techchattr.com/never-use-opencart

The author/maintainer has a kind of... Trumpian approach to the community in general:

Daniel Kerr posted:

Hi this is Daniel the owner from opencart.

you are an amateur! I don't know what big project you claim to have worked on but what you have pointed out here is pathetic!

you also forget to mention when you recommend people to use magneto is that it requires a dedicated server just to sell one product! obversely not very optimised! even with cache opencart beats the crap out of it in page load times.

every company i have met at expos are moving away from magento because its a bloats piece of crap!

there is a reason why opencart is the no.1 most used ecommerce solution in places like china and india, its the easiest code base to understand!

my biggest competitor magneto has paid millions of USD to advertising fees. yet opencart is still no.3 in the world without paying a penny!.

Yes, this is the kind of high powered businessman I want leading development on my ecommerce solution.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Most of my work is with "big" ecommerce (e.g. >100,000 skus, inventory/accounting integration, BI analytics, marketplace integration, that kind of thing) so my experience is mostly with moving people off of their old platforms that they've outgrown and onto either a new one I write from scratch, or a more robust bespoke solution. PrestaShop doesn't suck out loud like OpenCart does, but I find that it's not very flexible if you're not a specific kind of small business. As soon as you start scaling up, or need a feature not covered, it gets kind of chancy and you're either looking at custom development that will break updates, or shelling out for a pricey plugin. Woocommerce is much the same, but the marketplace is that much bigger, which has a democratizing effect on the price/availability of themes and plugins. Shopify has the same problem, goodish for small, but as soon as you want to do heavy lifting with data transfer it gets to be a PITA.

Oh, I see. You had me worried for a minute.

I find that is acceptable that theres software good for a task, and when you need something bigger, you have to move to other software. Otherwise .. what? you will have small shops having to deal with 90 options to configure discounts in a screen that looks like a space subtle control panel.

If they outgrown it, they can find people like you and move to something else.

I will check this woocomerce thing.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Would anyone mind taking a look at my site and letting me know how I can improve it? Anything from overall design to certain elements like color, font, etc.

http://thesavvybackpacker.com

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Omits-Bagels posted:

Would anyone mind taking a look at my site and letting me know how I can improve it? Anything from overall design to certain elements like color, font, etc.

http://thesavvybackpacker.com

While I'm not doing a deep dive here, the homepage looks great, then all the subpages are just lifeless blocks of text and lists outside of the hero.

Home page really does look fantastic though.

EDIT: The city guides seem to do a much better job.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

The Dave posted:

While I'm not doing a deep dive here, the homepage looks great, then all the subpages are just lifeless blocks of text and lists outside of the hero.

Home page really does look fantastic though.

EDIT: The city guides seem to do a much better job.

Those menu pages/subpages have been really thowing me for a loop. I have so much content that I don't know how to structure those pages in a interesting, yet logical and straitforward way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Your logo looks like it should close the window.

Otherwise the entire thing is miles better than anything I've ever built. Looks great to me.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm building the backend for a webapp (as a REST API, more or less) and I'm looking to outsource the deisgn and front-end development. It's a relatively small project, I think, for a company's internal use, no e-commerce or anything like that. It's not much more than a CRUD application. However, I'm pretty new to this and don't know where to start to get a sense of how much time and money to budget for outsourcing. I tried browsing through Upwork but that just left me more confused as to how much to budget. Anyone have any pointers on this? I'm sure you need more information to really help me out, so ask away.

Basically, what I have is a list of the different pages of the webapp, and the data each page needs to display and the functionality for interacting with it. I have the backend APIs that provide this data/functionality. And I have a logo and color scheme. I'm imagining hiring a designer to make mockups, facilitate some back-and-forth between the "client" and the designer regarding the mockups, then send the mockups and the API docs to a front-end developer. Do I have the right idea of how this could work?

I'm a data guy who taught myself enough web stuff to make an API with the functionality we need, but I don't trust myself with UX. Help me find someone to help me. And importantly, help me manage everyone else's expectations as to time and money.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Grump posted:

Hmm. You mean just one domain that users go to to buy from multiple stores? Or like one account that has multiple stores/domains

I mean, you go to Amazon and you buy poo poo from Amazon... but that poo poo may come from one or more third-party vendors that simply sell though Amazon. Ditto NewEgg nowadays (and god, has it gotten bad). So all those vendors need to have their own back-end access to manage their poo poo, while the front end is just one storefront.

It doesn't matter much to me if it ends up being a hosted solution or (eg. Shopify) or not - I'm guessing there aren't going to be many if any) multi-vendor hosted solutions. Looks like BigCommerce won't do multi-vendor, but it does look like it might work well for another client I've got coming up (a wholesaler) so I'm glad you mentioned it nonetheless.

Scaramouche posted:

Magento claims to do it, but it can be a PITA to get your head around their counter-intuitive templating system.

I dealt with Magento once. Never again. Ditto Prestashop, and I'll avoid the rest of your list too, then.

Here are the ones I've managed to find in my research so far... Any experience or opinions here?

Sellacious: The terrible English on this site scares me.

cs.cart multi-vendor: I have a good feeling about this one (based on nothing, really).

x-cart multi-vendor: This looks like it might be ok.

Yo!Cart: As one might guess from the name, this seems pretty bad.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Choadmaster posted:

I mean, you go to Amazon and you buy poo poo from Amazon... but that poo poo may come from one or more third-party vendors that simply sell though Amazon. Ditto NewEgg nowadays (and god, has it gotten bad). So all those vendors need to have their own back-end access to manage their poo poo, while the front end is just one storefront.

It doesn't matter much to me if it ends up being a hosted solution or (eg. Shopify) or not - I'm guessing there aren't going to be many if any) multi-vendor hosted solutions. Looks like BigCommerce won't do multi-vendor, but it does look like it might work well for another client I've got coming up (a wholesaler) so I'm glad you mentioned it nonetheless.

I dealt with Magento once. Never again. Ditto Prestashop, and I'll avoid the rest of your list too, then.

Here are the ones I've managed to find in my research so far... Any experience or opinions here?

Sellacious: The terrible English on this site scares me.

cs.cart multi-vendor: I have a good feeling about this one (based on nothing, really).

x-cart multi-vendor: This looks like it might be ok.

Yo!Cart: As one might guess from the name, this seems pretty bad.

Out of all of those, I've only used x-cart before, and I the last time I used it multi-vendor wasn't even a concept people cared about, so I'm not qualified to comment on it.

Sellacious looks very charming, in a straight from India kind of way. I know of CS-Cart but haven't used it; what I've heard is that it's pretty techy and doesn't do a lot of hand-holding, but that might a good thing. Check out their Requirements page:
http://docs.cs-cart.com/4.3.x/install/system_requirements.html

Those aren't bizarre requirements, but it feels more "developer friendly" if that makes sense, good or bad.

I'd wish I could breezily dismiss Yo!Cart as what happens when brogrammers do ecommerce, but it actually looks the most intriguing out of the lot and is something I'm going to keep an eye on I think.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
XML code:
<style>
  .parent {
    display: inline-flex;
    flex-direction: column;
  }
</style>

<span class="parent">
  <span class="child1">child1</span>
  <span class="child2">child2</span>
</span>
Given that I can only modify the inline style on child2, is there some hack I could use to align child1 and child2 horizontally?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sedro posted:

XML code:
<style>
  .parent {
    display: inline-flex;
    flex-direction: column;
  }
</style>

<span class="parent">
  <span class="child1">child1</span>
  <span class="child2">child2</span>
</span>
Given that I can only modify the inline style on child2, is there some hack I could use to align child1 and child2 horizontally?

No.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Later PHP frameworks exit has pure destiled admiration of Java, and seems designed with a Java design paterns book in the left hand all the time. Everything is class.

The problem is, following how code work with so many class is hard. And all these magento, prestashop, etc web applications have to use a huge hack to hunt down all the class files and concatenate in a single file, so loading a page where fast and did not involved several seconds. Perhaps this approach, the java one, is not the most appropiate for PHP.
Php can get influenced by unix, and the idea that everything is a file. Unid allow things to be ridiculous simple. So much that with unix you can do things in the command line that would have required a program in other os.

Anyway, I guess we will never know.

I asked the owner of a popular forum system what database he used and he said. We dont use a database, all is files in the filesystem.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 30, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If I'm looking to host smallish (500mb?) data payloads and serve them as regular in browser downloads to ~a few thousand users a month what's my best option if I want to keep prices low and availability/speeds high? Not really looking to gently caress with torrents or free download sites like megaupload or whatever and I'm not super familiar with the landscape of AWS, Google Cloud, whatever Microsoft's thing is, etc. so hoping someone who is can point me in the right direction.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

The March Hare posted:

If I'm looking to host smallish (500mb?) data payloads and serve them as regular in browser downloads to ~a few thousand users a month what's my best option if I want to keep prices low and availability/speeds high? Not really looking to gently caress with torrents or free download sites like megaupload or whatever and I'm not super familiar with the landscape of AWS, Google Cloud, whatever Microsoft's thing is, etc. so hoping someone who is can point me in the right direction.

How FAST do you need these downloads to be? Depending on how many concurrent downloads you expect, you can probably get by on just a free AWS/Azure tier system hosting a website with the files on it. Don't even really need to host the website there, just link to the files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skandranon posted:

How FAST do you need these downloads to be? Depending on how many concurrent downloads you expect, you can probably get by on just a free AWS/Azure tier system hosting a website with the files on it. Don't even really need to host the website there, just link to the files.

Moderately fast, it really doesn't matter as long as people don't notice that it is incredibly slow. I figured I'd be in free tier for a while, should I just use whatever looks cheapest from AWS S3/Google Cloud/whatever Azure calls their poo poo? Or is there some kind of super special subservice within these that people use for hosting larger static files?