Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 21 - We Should Know Better :siren:

Today we run into a mysterious, totally new to us in every way teen who identifies himself as Gerad. I think he may be mistaken, though. Shouldn't he be introducing himself as LARVI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but opentyrian can't play Tyrian 2000.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FPzero posted:

I know of only one other pair of brothers that do romhacking together but they're in the Super Metroid scene and both of them are pretty drat good at what they do. It's rare to have that sort of dynamic available at all times.
I'm following the 20 Years of Doom thread as well, and I think TeminDump played a wad by a couple of brothers from Scandinavia. Unless I'm misremembering and they're just two good buddies.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Hard to find a good list of holiday specials, but let's see... a game called Skyroads, apparently

Oh man, SkyRoads. SkyRoads was also totally awesome, and is also freeware now too. They've got the Christmas Special for download too.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow! In the spirit of this thread, it's a pity it's just the engine, I wonder how hard it would be to tinker with the weapon stats to rebalance them and make the useless ones actually do something.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today is a short episode as we look at the rest of World 1 prior to it's castle.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 02 - Feathery Delight

Monk E
May 19, 2009
When you were summarizing the other games in the series I thought you were making stuff up on the fly as a joke until I actually looked it up.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm surprised the spot with the note blocks and feather gave you a little trouble. You should've been able to just hold run and jump and easily clear that gap from the note block without a feather but it looked like you were no longer holding down the Run button after springing from it. Also, don't forget you can use your Spin Jump to get rid of some of the more pesky enemies. Later levels may even require using it to jump across dangerous enemies to progress.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you've enjoyed our talks about old SMWCentral history, this episode has a lot more of that.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
The BGM in the second stage is Area F from Mega Man ZX

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That second level seemed practically reasonable! Partially transparent spikes that can still kill you dead seem like a terrible idea, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's the "1f0" tile?

The second level was cool but the second half was too hard IMO.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

FPzero posted:

I'm surprised the spot with the note blocks and feather gave you a little trouble. You should've been able to just hold run and jump and easily clear that gap from the note block without a feather but it looked like you were no longer holding down the Run button after springing from it. Also, don't forget you can use your Spin Jump to get rid of some of the more pesky enemies. Later levels may even require using it to jump across dangerous enemies to progress.

Thanks for the tip. To be honest I actually forgot about the spin jump until the castle where it became mandatory.
The next episode will have a slightly different subtitle method to address the old one blocking a lot of the action.
I've taken the idea from the Aria of Sorrow LP so now it's at the bottom.

Great work on the VLDC stuff. It's always fun watching two veterans talk about the mechanics and how things work.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a good thing that second level didn't ramp up the bullshit too much like the second level in the previous video, because autoscrolling levels are annoying to watch. It's manageable in its difficulty but I don't agree with it placing 18th at all.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So does this mean you're going to be showing off VLDCX? :D

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gridlocked posted:

So does this mean you're going to be showing off VLDCX? :D

:shepicide:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Maybe if they finish judging it, which from the sound of how it's going so far, should only be another two or three years.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today the gloves come off as the difficulty gets kicked up a notch.
But hey at least the plot gets advanced and we meet a new friend.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 03 - Piranhas and butterflies

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Glad that the games plot has fulfilled my expectations of quickly devolving into insane fanfiction.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 22 - Thanks, OBS :siren:

Today we, regrettably, reunite with Zepeli, Demerine and I bicker, we visit Zepeli's best dead friend, and we take to the skies again in this horrible new world.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

In today's roundup I find out some bosses aren't as Heavy as they seem.

Why yes I'm playing Four Job Fiesta, why do you ask?

Also, full disclosure, I was permitted to go out into the world, and did so. Which is why I was acting informed about Dullahan. So I've already picked up all but Jean, Gendo and the Umaro/Gogo surrogates. Fun was had by all. And by fun I mean bum. and by bum I mean bumrush. And by all I mean Shanon, sometimes Iggy.

Also, spoiler Zepeli continues to be the biggest loaf, the lowest level of the whole party at 29, where he will remain forever

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I looked up GP Rain, and it's 2 damage per gil, not 1. So it's not as bad as it looks. And it is of course by miles the best thing Zepeli can do that isn't "leave the party". :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Not seen here: I cut out nearly 15 minutes of attempting to get the Koopa to catch the Ice Block in the second level. We eventually explain why it wouldn't work, but it turns out the SA-1 patch that allows for more sprites to be on the screen at one time also interferes with Blue Koopas' ability to catch sliding items. Even with that knowledge, the level still felt like it was all over the place and we later learned that it was using all sorts of glitches and obscure knowledge to hide all its dragon coins and moon. But that alone wasn't enough to make the level enjoyable for me. Not sure how it landed 19th place in the end but I guess the other judges saw something in it that I just totally didn't.

First level was good though. I really liked its theme/execution and its use of a secret exit was perfectly acceptable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The second level seemed... once you realized what the stupid gimmick was, it basically felt like you took three steps to the left and coincidentally also beat the level.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least that second level had a bit of good music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGS79bPPCI

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It feels like "lol I know so much about Mario" the level, abusing every glitch and then laughing at people who didn't know them or didn't know they were fixed. So for people with the knowledge of what can be exploited (such as the judges, I expect) it's a hilarious in-joke but for anyone else it's just incredibly confusing.

The crystals level was much better and it had a very neat gimmick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Any level that lies to you about how to solve it is a bad level. I would be seriously steamed if I wasted 15 minutes trying to do the thing the level told me to do, only to give up and then have a later message box go "oh, that doesn't work? lol, try this instead."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That level is ranked in 19th place :ughh:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Could it have been the way it was originally when submitted, and the rest was just a quick fix while the rest of the level was left "as is"? I've already forgotten what you said about it in the video.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I liked Ice Block Cavern better than the other top 20 level in this world, but it still didn't deserve to be that high.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any level that lies to you about how to solve it is a bad level. I would be seriously steamed if I wasted 15 minutes trying to do the thing the level told me to do, only to give up and then have a later message box go "oh, that doesn't work? lol, try this instead."
Yeah, the level outight lying to you about how to proceed is pretty awful in my books. Especially since it's glitchy inconsistent behaviour that causes it, and kind of makes it look like it's the player's fault (tight timing/screen scrolling weirdness) rather than known behaviour/how the level is meant to play. It would have been much better if the koopas kicking blocks gimmick worked everywhere and got you through to the regular exit, but had one conspicuous exception where it obviously didn't work, and finding the alternate solution to that part gets you to the secret exit.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That Level is put together reasonably well and looks nice. However, I have no idea how it could possibly warrant being ranked in the top 20 given that it's mostly just some weird lamp-shading/lampooning/passive-aggressive jab at obscure mechanical knowledge.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I guess the judges enjoyed being pandered to with in-jokes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Having to use a Silver P-Switch to get the secret exit in the second level is infuriating twofold IMO. You've got the level outright lying to you with the fake solution... and ALSO the real solution. You get a demo about how taking a Silver P through a pipe makes it do nothing, before having to take it through a pipe and having it conveniently work that time.

Also the level is kind of ugly and things just seem to be placed randomly and without much meaning or purpose if its not related to these "hilarious" piss takes.

e; First level was super great though. Kinda think that one was a bit underrated by the judges, considering every level we've seen so far at least, and the dumb glitch bullshit one was overrated because injokey memes.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 04 - Enter Hunter

Things start to go south as we proceed ever deeper into the mutation.
There are a couple spot which I think are kinda stupid.
One of those spots being the wall climbing triangles. You know the ones that you have to run straight at to run up the side of a wall.
Well in this episode some of them are put into positions where you can't actually get a running start at them but instead must do a run jump at them and hit just the right spot or you are screwed.
The next spot would be right outside the boss where you have a large canyon and only a single enemy floating closer to your side.
The problem here is that you have to jump off the enemy at just the right time or risk hitting your head against a ceiling or not being high enough to clear the gap.
Add to that that the checkpoint is just before the guantlet of yellow walls that you have to wait on hunter to get through and you have a recipe for a somewhat frustrating time.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
That fortress felt more like a masters thesis on how not to use magikoopa visualized then an actual level.

Monk E fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 1, 2017

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Anime Reference posted:

I guess the judges enjoyed being pandered to with in-jokes.

That didn't look like an in-joke so much as a nasty swipe at the organisers of the previous year's contest for making bugfixes that broke the author's original concept. It came across as really mean-spirited and I'm disappointed the judges didn't haul the author up for it.

EDIT: I feel the other level with the hot-cold system is being unjustifiably forgotten. That looked fun and interesting, and things like the blind jump to where you saw a dragon coin in the frozen section were excellent ways to hide secrets. It used just as much cunning level design and remembered to make the level actually fun, instead of a letter of complaint in Mario form.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 2, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Well, yeah. Being a simple, good level will tend to be overshadowed in discussion by 'why is this one big weird passive-aggressive jab about obscure glitches and why did they decide to give it top marks'. The 'twitch chat' level was a much better attempt at being a weird meta level and that was one of the lowest-rated levels in the contest, so I'm not sure what won the judges over to the 'lie to the player about what's possible, put in multiple text dumps about obscure mechanics' level.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The 'twitch chat' level was a much better attempt at being a weird meta level and that was one of the lowest-rated levels in the contest

Which is a shame, because it looked vaguely fun. Not exactly high quality but the gimmick was entertaining and the level itself was decent. It also helped that it was quite short; you got your laugh and you moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FPzero posted:

Not seen here: I cut out nearly 15 minutes of attempting to get the Koopa to catch the Ice Block in the second level. We eventually explain why it wouldn't work, but it turns out the SA-1 patch that allows for more sprites to be on the screen at one time also interferes with Blue Koopas' ability to catch sliding items. Even with that knowledge, the level still felt like it was all over the place and we later learned that it was using all sorts of glitches and obscure knowledge to hide all its dragon coins and moon. But that alone wasn't enough to make the level enjoyable for me. Not sure how it landed 19th place in the end but I guess the other judges saw something in it that I just totally didn't.

First level was good though. I really liked its theme/execution and its use of a secret exit was perfectly acceptable.

That first level heavily reminded me of that Sky World level from Super Demo World where the time of day changes when you go through pipes

• Locked thread