Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
First of all, my Pops is a pretty drat good guitarist but he's just a fan when it comes to chord-melody and the jazz-boxes used in that style. He's very talented but he doesn't learn standards or experiment at all. His normal playing style is a very listenable Chet Atkins thumb-picking up-beat thing that's a lot of fun to hear.
Pretty much the only thing I ever hear him play on a jazz-hollow body is "They Can't Take That Away From Me" and yeah, it's gotten very stale to my ears. I'd sit and listen you play all day, that was very sweet.

So, this instrument:

It sits in my closet. It's what guitarists (I tihnk) call a case-queen/closet-queen.

My Dad brags that it's the best-playing guitar of all his hollow-bodies and I am willing to believe him, because the thing really is amazing. The action is stunning, even compared to my favorite shred-machines.

It has this wonderful violin-like timbre... I don't know what register that would be but it's loud and bright and plays like a dream. The pick-attack and following almost nasal tone is quite pretty, and also quite loud.
Unfortunately I'll never use it correctly, because I'll never get around to legit chord-melody playing.
I'm surprised that the pickup isn't great, but my Dad has a certain penchant for playing with a very round, dark tone. At 76 he can't really stand being in the same room with me playing his Blues Jr. with a bright guitar. It's kinda offensive to him and that's ok.

The family rule is that I'm forbidden to part with it but at some point I am going to secretly sell it to someone who will actually appreciate it and play the hell out of it, the way it's meant to be used (should I live so long to build up that courage.)

I was gonna get into the unsavory details of how I came to own it and then decided I've said enough, there's no reason to assassinate the guy's character any more than I have.

Yeah, someday I'll probably try to find it the right home. I like being able to say I have it, but it's wasted here. It's a rare beauty in wonderful condition (this is not a sales-pitch) from 1986 and I do feel it's a bit of a shame to leave it languoring around with no one putting notes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm surprised that the pickup isn't great, but my Dad has a certain penchant for playing with a very round, dark tone. At 76 he can't really stand being in the same room with me playing his Blues Jr. with a bright guitar. It's kinda offensive to him and that's ok

duncan jazz pickups are pretty mid-scooped and a little too high-output for actually playing jazz with apart from sonny sharrock type stuff

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

rio posted:

This is a video I did to demo the new guitar with a little chord melody and there are others on my channel too if you dig through it. https://youtu.be/tsCHbaACP-k

This is wonderful and a joy to listen to and watch, thank you for posting it

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I said I was going to hang up my drumsticks, get a combo amp, and chug chords and by God that's just what I did.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

praxis posted:

I said I was going to hang up my drumsticks, get a combo amp, and chug chords and by God that's just what I did.

Nice! Which fuzz pedal did you get? Wait, what? You didn't?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Posted in the synth thread but I'm posting it here too because some of y'all might be into it:

I got an email deal from Rhythmic Robot for a bunch of Q Up Arts Kontakt libraries. It's five libraries (everything here except the Voices of Native America libraries) for 80 GBP instead of the normal 800, which is 90% off. Now 800 is arguably a dumb as poo poo price for those five libraries anyway, but I've been coveting California Keys for a while and it's normally 400 GBP on its own, so 80 just for that would have gotten me to hit "buy" anyway.

Long story short: I now have a new favorite piano library and a new favorite Hammond library, along with a bunch of other stuff that varies in quality from "pretty good" to "excellent". I don't actually use Hammond sounds that often, but that piano is going to be all over my poo poo from now on. It does the very quiet end of things better than any other library I've used.

Coupon code is QUPMEGASALE if anyone's interested.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

praxis posted:

I had the HT60 which is very similar.
It was a superb, modern amp. Totally rock steady and tons of quality of life features. You've got a great amp there, congrats :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I sold off a bunch of spare parts I don't need anymore and had enough to finish buying the bits of my Tele build. I was told 6 to 8 weeks for the neck and body, and it's been 5, so we're getting there! Here's a Photoshopped mockup of what I'm shooting for, visually:

Sonic-Blue-yellowed-to-pale-green body, solid rosewood neck with matching painted headstock to sort of hide the fact that it's got a rosewood neck. The modernizations are strap locks (Schaller), noiseless pickups (DiMarzio Area T), locking tuners (Gotoh SD91 MG-T), and stainless frets (6105). Everything else will be '60s spec/ aesthetic.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Apogee's running a sale for the 4th and has their Gio guitar interface refurb for $150 (refurb's usually $300, new $400). I've been wanting an all-in-one USB foot controller for a while and the price is right, so I went ahead and ordered one. Hopefully it doesn't suck!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A local deal I could not refuse.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Carbohydrates posted:

I sold off a bunch of spare parts I don't need anymore and had enough to finish buying the bits of my Tele build. I was told 6 to 8 weeks for the neck and body, and it's been 5, so we're getting there! Here's a Photoshopped mockup of what I'm shooting for, visually:

Sonic-Blue-yellowed-to-pale-green body, solid rosewood neck with matching painted headstock to sort of hide the fact that it's got a rosewood neck. The modernizations are strap locks (Schaller), noiseless pickups (DiMarzio Area T), locking tuners (Gotoh SD91 MG-T), and stainless frets (6105). Everything else will be '60s spec/ aesthetic.

Oh hell yes

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Nice! Which fuzz pedal did you get? Wait, what? You didn't?
OH poo poo

peter gabriel posted:

I had the HT60 which is very similar.
It was a superb, modern amp. Totally rock steady and tons of quality of life features. You've got a great amp there, congrats :)

I'm glad to hear that. I've played acoustic for years but I know gently caress all about electrics. I bought the guitar and amp based on Internet research and the recommendations of my guitarist friends.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Jazzcaster is done!

100% happy with it, best sounding guitar (single coil) I've ever heard, the Lindy Fralin pickups are so intensely good it's staggering. Even the luthier said it's the best electric he's heard in a long time

I am so happy with it :)

I'll get to stick it through the amps tomorrow night, can't wait!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
drat bro that's tight. I never realized before your first post about this axe that the Ibanez Talman is kinda like a shrunken version of this guy in T-Type form. My Talman as JBE Gattons in it by my MIM Tele has Fralins and God drat they're great. Like nothing I'm used to, but still amazing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

peter gabriel posted:

Jazzcaster is done!

100% happy with it, best sounding guitar (single coil) I've ever heard, the Lindy Fralin pickups are so intensely good it's staggering. Even the luthier said it's the best electric he's heard in a long time

I am so happy with it :)

I'll get to stick it through the amps tomorrow night, can't wait!

Holy poo poo I just cummed up my pants.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I forget if I posted this, cross post from stupid music poo poo but I love my old rear end 70s Distortion+ I got not too long ago. Op-amp and diode distortion at its simplest and most elegant.

It likes to slam into other pedals, too.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Distortion+ into a fuzz face clone was my main heavy sound for years. Those things stack great, and I like them on their own too.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

drat bro that's tight. I never realized before your first post about this axe that the Ibanez Talman is kinda like a shrunken version of this guy in T-Type form. My Talman as JBE Gattons in it by my MIM Tele has Fralins and God drat they're great. Like nothing I'm used to, but still amazing.

Every time I saw your Talman I was smiling because I knew what I was building looked like it, I used to love those - still do, they were one of the guitars I lusted after.
One of the stars of the show is this Babicz bridge, I can't say enough good things about it

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Holy poo poo I just cummed up my pants.

Same here ha ha
The idea here was to make my perfect guitar and I've got there I think, I wanted to do the exact opposite of the Mustang (all 1960s parts) and go for all new high quality bits.
The only thing I'll change at some point in different coloured bodies, I want to end up with two or three bold colours and what I already have to choose from, that could be fun :)

It's also the only full scale length guitar I own, oddly!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 6, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I forget if I posted this, cross post from stupid music poo poo but I love my old rear end 70s Distortion+ I got not too long ago. Op-amp and diode distortion at its simplest and most elegant.

It likes to slam into other pedals, too.

I really need to get a DS+ because I so lust for Rowland S. Howard's tone and he only ever used a Jaguar, a DS+, and a Silverface Twin. Of course, I'm sure he's running the amp at "war crime" volume, which I don't get to do as often as I like, and also he's Rowland S. Howard.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

After The War posted:

I really need to get a DS+ because I so lust for Rowland S. Howard's tone and he only ever used a Jaguar, a DS+, and a Silverface Twin. Of course, I'm sure he's running the amp at "war crime" volume, which I don't get to do as often as I like, and also he's Rowland S. Howard.

You really should get one. They are one of the simplest, brilliant, most elegant circuits ever. Has that heavy "push" to it and yet when you hold a note you hear all of this fun writhing, bristling goodness.

edit: I opened it for funsies. It's just a 741 op-amp into a pair of 1n34a diodes.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 7, 2017

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought another cheap guitar at the pawn shop, Samick built Squier II from 1989.

Pots are loose and scratchy, strings are black, bridge saddles are a roller coaster from one side to the other, neck has too much relief; pretty much the typical pawn shop guitar except it has almost no fret wear. It'll be a good weekend project to clean it up and make it play better, and it even came with a pick!

It also appears to be a "first generation", if there is such a thing, based on the knob placement. Somewhere around serial S97xxxx to S98xxxx the controls moved back about 1". I don't know why I noticed that, but I did. This would be Squier # 14 or #15 for me, but somehow only my first Korean one.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A couple new guitars came today - one new to me and one new out of the box. I have wanted a 7 string for a long time and haven't wanted to invest thousands on one not knowing if my hands would like it. But being a bassist and guitarist I really wanted to try one and all of the ones I have tried in stores (not many) have been unplayable. Someone on the jazz guitar forum recommended a schecter C7 as a cheap, not thin neck suitable for jazz 7 string so I Amazoned it since it had prime. It will be funny playing this black guitar that I presume is made for metal playing clean jazz guitar. The fretwork seems good and the guitar is in excellent position. I am going to put on heavy strings and do a setup tonight and I'll post some impressions (and a demo at some point over the weekend if I can learn to play it by then) over in the guitar thread.

The second guitar was kind of a pity buy and it ended up being sweet. Again, on the jazz guitar forums there is a guy who built this guitar and it was just in the corner collecting dust. It is rough in some ways being hand built by a guy who is a hobbyist builder but he did pretty well and it plays excellent and sounds really good. I was considering routing the neck cavity for a humbucker when I got it but now that I have heard it, it sounds excellent as is with no noise surprisingly - reminiscent of my ES-175, actually. It is really resonant and is more acoustic sounding than any other semis I have had (the top is very thin). The neck is mahogany with a rosewood board (it's a warmoth neck), the back/sides are also mahogany with a maple top. It is so loving light - I need to weigh it but it has to be like 5 lbs, if that.

It is DEFINITELY TIME TO STOP BUYING GUITARS FOR A WHILE. Jesus, two months ago I told myself I would buy one nice one and I ended up with 5.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

widefault posted:

Bought another cheap guitar at the pawn shop, Samick built Squier II from 1989.
Holy poo poo, I went back through yr post history to see the wacky poo poo you've picked up at the pawn shop. Some fun stuff in there. I love the Fender offsets the most. Someday, you're gonna need a J.Mascis Squier Jazzmaster!
The music store where I started taking lessons (back in '93) always tried to push Samicks. I would've ended up with one, were I not left-handed. Thank goodness the only lefty my parents could find was a Mexican strat.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Apparently the Schecter Jazz 7 is not easy to find but you must attempt affixing a Korg Cliphit to that C7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nIiPOGAfo0

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Apparently the Schecter Jazz 7 is not easy to find but you must attempt affixing a Korg Cliphit to that C7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nIiPOGAfo0

Whoa what the gently caress is this egg looking thing haha. I've never heard of that - I wonder why they chose that design. That guy kills it though; he sounds really good and uses it really well. I need to find a store where I can try it...now that I have the seven string and I have the Boss RC-300 looper I am going to try some elaborate loop songs and that could be neat to add drums too...

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

betterinsodapop posted:

Holy poo poo, I went back through yr post history to see the wacky poo poo you've picked up at the pawn shop. Some fun stuff in there. I love the Fender offsets the most. Someday, you're gonna need a J.Mascis Squier Jazzmaster!
The music store where I started taking lessons (back in '93) always tried to push Samicks. I would've ended up with one, were I not left-handed. Thank goodness the only lefty my parents could find was a Mexican strat.

I have a list of stuff I should have bought, but decided I needed food and shelter instead, or waited a day too long. Top of the list was a Kalamazoo KG-2, SG body shape with single coils and vibrato. I think it was $350, and I knew they went for a couple hundred more than that, but just couldn't justify it on that day. There are two pawn shops in town I stop at once or twice a week, and it's mostly $150 Squier Affinity Strats or off-brand Chinese acoustics, but the oddball stuff shows up fairly often. The one shop has kind of figured me out, to the point the one manager straight asks me if they priced something too cheap when I buy it.

At the time, Samick was the best of the Korean manufacturers, and a close second to what was coming from Japan. That said, this one has issues. Tremelo block is literally cracked and falling apart, and only has two springs. Even with the claw cranked down, the bridge was floating high enough that the action was about double what it should be with all saddles bottomed out. Didn't help that all the bridge screws were tightened all the way down, so the bridge couldn't lay flat even if it had three springs. With those screws loosened, the temporary remedy is a folded up piece of cardboard. Neck tone control was loose and frozen, but after tightening and a heavy blast of contact cleaner it is moving freely. Quick setup, and it plays good for a $100 guitar. Bridge humbucker is pretty nice sounding to me, the other two pickups are garbage. Oh, and in the pickup and control cavities the paint is thin, showing a red base layer. It has not been repainted, just looks like they resprayed a red body at the factory and did a half-assed job.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I've used the Jazzcaster for a gig and it's amazing, but an issue has arisen!
The wiring I bought is pretty lovely, it was a bit of a risky experiment anyway really. It has a varitone built in / pull knobs for out of phase etc and I wanted to try it. Turns out the people who made it skimped a bit on pots, switches and the jack. It's all well put together but the parts are pretty poo poo and sort of let the guitar down.

The pots crackle and the varitone makes an audible pop sound when used.

I've chosen every part of the guitar to be the best it can be and to be exactly what I want, and the wiring is the one thing that misses the mark. Oh well, experiment tried, failed. Here it is, you can see it's pretty cheap looking inside:

So to counter this i have gone full tonedad and ordered this:

No frills but good quality wiring and parts, that is a safe bet but I it'll stop my brain twitching.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll salute you, Dad; but when your back is turned I'll make faces at you!

I wish I had the money to start a new guitar project. Something from the ground-up, like yours. I can't shoot for the moon with a gorgeous figured-wood body and gold hardware (yes, everyone knows my tastes already) but I would like to built and honest-to-god strat-style with high-quality but affordable parts. This month I pay off all the new gear I bought for the Blues Jr. project (everything is paid off but two small-ish payments left on the monitors) and I did just get a tiny raise from work.

Perhaps I shall finally build my non-Strat Strat. I have one I built in '92, but it's a hard-tail with H/S/S. This will be S/S/S with a vintage-style trem. And yes, it must be tobacco sunburst, for I shall not rest until I have a tobacco sunburst strat.

What are the opinions on pickguards (black, white, or three-ply... no tortoise please) and fretboards (rosewood or maple) for a very Stratty-strat-strat.

I'll probably put Fralins in it but Fender makes a set that my friend loves, they're not Texas Specials, they're something else. I think they come in the Hendrix Strat? Or one of the Ritchie Blackmore Strats. poo poo I can't remember.

P.S. - No "Relic" poo poo. I'll ding and scratch up and otherwise destroy my guitar the old-fashioned way: by accident.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

What are the opinions on pickguards (black, white, or three-ply... no tortoise please) and fretboards (rosewood or maple) for a very Stratty-strat-strat.

match the pickguard to the fret markers

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll salute you, Dad; but when your back is turned I'll make faces at you!

I wish I had the money to start a new guitar project. Something from the ground-up, like yours. I can't shoot for the moon with a gorgeous figured-wood body and gold hardware (yes, everyone knows my tastes already) but I would like to built and honest-to-god strat-style with high-quality but affordable parts. This month I pay off all the new gear I bought for the Blues Jr. project (everything is paid off but two small-ish payments left on the monitors) and I did just get a tiny raise from work.

Perhaps I shall finally build my non-Strat Strat. I have one I built in '92, but it's a hard-tail with H/S/S. This will be S/S/S with a vintage-style trem. And yes, it must be tobacco sunburst, for I shall not rest until I have a tobacco sunburst strat.

I'll probably put Fralins in it but Fender makes a set that my friend loves, they're not Texas Specials, they're something else. I think they come in the Hendrix Strat? Or one of the Ritchie Blackmore Strats. poo poo I can't remember.

P.S. - No "Relic" poo poo. I'll ding and scratch up and otherwise destroy my guitar the old-fashioned way: by accident.

There's a place that buys and strips guitars for parts:

https://stratosphereparts.com/

I'd have a good look on there for a strat project - they have a ton of stock and some decent deals usually

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

rio posted:

Whoa what the gently caress is this egg looking thing haha. I've never heard of that - I wonder why they chose that design. That guy kills it though; he sounds really good and uses it really well. I need to find a store where I can try it...now that I have the seven string and I have the Boss RC-300 looper I am going to try some elaborate loop songs and that could be neat to add drums too...

I've spent like the last hour looking at videos of that thing. It is neat as hell haha.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

There's a place that buys and strips guitars for parts:

https://stratosphereparts.com/

I'd have a good look on there for a strat project - they have a ton of stock and some decent deals usually
My friend just sent me this link to the relic'd necks yesterday at 12:43 PM so I could laugh at the $949.oo Fender Replacement necks. And laugh I did!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I can't stop buying things, I should take a break from craigslist.

1999 Warwick Streamer Standard. This was their cheapo model before Rockbass existed, but it was made in Germany and I got in for $160 so I won't complain. One humbucker, passive volume and tone and the volume pot has a push-pull series/parallel switch.

The body is beat up and the neck was way out of adjustment. I got the truss rod about where it should be, and the Just-A-Nut works great (and is now up there with the EBMM truss rod wheel on the list of things I wish more basses had). Sounds like a very muddy Stingray with the dead strings on it, will replace those in the next few days after I clean up the body. Need to figure out how to clean the brass frets and if the neck needs any special oil first. Eventually I may try to refinish the body, but that project would be a ways off.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just finished making a V4/op-amp/1978-1980/David Gilmour/Smashing Pumpkins Big Muff with modified tonestack + tonestack bypass. For funsies I used the original RC4558P in the first two gain stages but I used a Burr Brown OPA2134 for the third gain stage and it sizzles and saws. Hell yea bros.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 11, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's super clean and pretty work. I'd go blind working on that. Looks like so much fun, though!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat, props on making that look so good.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Pablo Gigante posted:

I had never heard of Babicz before but just on a whim I googled his name and it turns out he's in the Hudson Valley like a half hour away from me, small drat world

Oh word? Wappinger's Falls is surprisingly close to me, too.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Also, hi thread! You're very entertaining. I am not nearly the master or the collector that you guys are, but I've learned a lot from reading through this and the other ML threads in the four years I've been playing guitar.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's super clean and pretty work. I'd go blind working on that. Looks like so much fun, though!

rio posted:

drat, props on making that look so good.

thx u guyz ^_^

also thanks for not mentioning the misaligned jacks and such because gently caress it we went freehand that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Now I can never un-see it!!! :negative: