Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Waiting to hear/see if the light/snub ppcs are worth using.

I'm going to go with situationally useful.

The lights will probably be popular with light and light mediums that like to poke and scoot from range. Snub nosed PPCs will be useful on PPFLD brawlers - shoot and twist style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Saddest Robot posted:

R60 isn't trash. It's probably the 2nd best urbanmech atm. 1 LPL, 1 MPL and 4 machine guns will wreck any mech's day. The only reason I feel like the K-9 is superior to it atm is because it can run a standard engine which gives it increased durability.

You don't need to run an XL on a brawling R60, and in fact you shouldn't.

Start from this base: max armour everywhere except for the head, endo, ferro, STD170, 4MG, 1LPL, 1ML, 1 ton of MG ammo (which is actually 1.2 with the new nodes). That leaves you with one free ton and three slots. Depending on your preferences, you can either upgrade to a STD180, or add jump jets and another half-ton of ammo. (Or add a heatsink, or upgrade the ML to a MPL, but those would be bad ideas.)

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 30, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

NihilCredo posted:

You don't need to run an XL on a brawling R60, and in fact you shouldn't.

Start from this base: max armour everywhere except for the head, endo, ferro, STD170, 4MG, 1LPL, 1ML, 1 ton of MG ammo (which is actually 1.2 with the new nodes). That leaves you with one free ton and three slots. Depending on your preferences, you can either upgrade to a STD180, or add jump jets and another half-ton of ammo. (Or add a heatsink, or upgrade the ML to a MPL, but those would be bad ideas.)

I run a std 180, 2 jj, 4mg with 2.5 tons of ammo and 2 mpls. It works pretty well. I guess i could drop down to a 170 and try to shove an lpl in? But the 2 mpl seem to work alright.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, there's been 900 posts here since I last booted this up. Is the game any good yet?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
... eh.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

So, there's been 900 posts here since I last booted this up. Is the game any good yet?

Well, nobody has bought out pgi and fired everybody sooooo....

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to go with situationally useful.

The lights will probably be popular with light and light mediums that like to poke and scoot from range. Snub nosed PPCs will be useful on PPFLD brawlers - shoot and twist style.

Light PPCs are very niche especially since you tend to want to double up on PPCs anyway, a single ten damage shot is pretty flaccid. But LPPCs have the same ghost heat limit of 2 as regular PPCs and take more crits than just taking a single normal PPC if you'd take 2 instead of one, so the only builds that would get any use out of a LPPC are mechs that can't manage the tonnage to run a single PPC already, which is vanishingly few. Even then plinking away for five damage a hit on a weapon that slow is going to discourage people.

Snub nose is even more dubious- it's the same as a normal PPC but with a much shorter range in exchange for no minimum. The thing is, that 90m minimum doesn't really come up on mechs you'd normally run PPCs on unless your team is already getting hosed; and even then redlining your heat tends to stop you from firing well before enemies coming within 90m of you. That's not different with snub nose PPCs, the only difference is that you suck at long range which is the whole point of PPCs anyway; hot weapons that do well at long range, giving you time to back off and cool down. I can maaaaaaaaaaybe see a couple mechs running AC20+2SPPC, but that'll be super rare and honestly probably not that good.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

aniviron posted:

Light PPCs are very niche especially since you tend to want to double up on PPCs anyway, a single ten damage shot is pretty flaccid. But LPPCs have the same ghost heat limit of 2 as regular PPCs and take more crits than just taking a single normal PPC if you'd take 2 instead of one, so the only builds that would get any use out of a LPPC are mechs that can't manage the tonnage to run a single PPC already, which is vanishingly few. Even then plinking away for five damage a hit on a weapon that slow is going to discourage people.

Snub nose is even more dubious- it's the same as a normal PPC but with a much shorter range in exchange for no minimum. The thing is, that 90m minimum doesn't really come up on mechs you'd normally run PPCs on unless your team is already getting hosed; and even then redlining your heat tends to stop you from firing well before enemies coming within 90m of you. That's not different with snub nose PPCs, the only difference is that you suck at long range which is the whole point of PPCs anyway; hot weapons that do well at long range, giving you time to back off and cool down. I can maaaaaaaaaaybe see a couple mechs running AC20+2SPPC, but that'll be super rare and honestly probably not that good.

What I found is that the LPPC is really good for mechs that would otherwise be running three PPCs and would have to make a lot of sacrifices to be able to do it. I slammed four on a cicada 3F, which normally runs way too hot to be able to use PPCs, and it is able to actually function as a poptart where it really wasn't able to do so before. Two LPPCs does the same damage as a PPC with one more crit slot taken, one less ton, and one less heat. The only downside is that you can't group them together for a 20 damage alpha, but being able to continually fire for a good amount of time is a fair payoff for breaking it up 10 and 10 imo.

They're definitely situational though. If you're in a mech that can afford the heat/tonnage to run 2 PPCs it's worth it. On the Vindicator 1R I slapped two snub noses and two LPPCs onto it, and it does pretty well. You just poke with the LPPCs as they close in, and once they hit the proper range bracket you start twisting and jumping to trash them with the snubs. The extra heat sinks that you get out of having lights/snubs does a decent job of making up for the extra heat you incur.

Light ferro fibrous is amazing and opens up a lot of builds. The PHX3S is beastly now with 486m ER Medium lasers, because its 20% range quirk applies to those as well as the standards. With light FF you can downgrade the engine two steps and slap on your last jumpjet and some more heatsinks to deal with the extra heat on the ERs. Light MGs on it aren't bad either, because you can keep a 280m distance on people while breaking their components. It's slower than normal MGs and heavies, but the fact that you can be working on brawlers and breaking their guns safely outside of SRM distance is a big change.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 30, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, they REALLY need to do something about arty strikes. I did some group queue to knock down some of that challenge and goddamn it was all arty all the time.

We had 8 people dropping in discord last night and one match each person called out a separate incoming arty strike that the other guys had dropped on us. It was loving madness.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
Is there a medium with ECM that can gauss?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sterling_Archer posted:

shadow cat but I can't recommend jamming a gauss in anything under 65t

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sterling_Archer posted:

If you're going for that gauss event cheevo just grab anything that can dual gauss and hang back a bit from the front line. I think I got it in something like 3 matches with a MadIIC

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Would you believe us if we told you it actually got worse?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

aniviron posted:

But LPPCs have the same ghost heat limit of 2 as regular PPCs and take more crits than just taking a single normal PPC if you'd take 2 instead of one, so the only builds that would get any use out of a LPPC are mechs that can't manage the tonnage to run a single PPC already, which is vanishingly few.

I had the same thought, but in the opposite direction.

The Heavy PPC is a pretty crappy deal on paper: 40% more weight and 50% more heat for only 20% more pinpoint damage, plus some splash. 3 PPC would be way more efficient than 2 HPPC. But you can't fire 3 PPC together, while you can fire 2 HPPC at once.

There should be a few sniper mechs that can use that. I know the Thunderbolt-9S is currrently a little weak with 2 PPC and a little awkward with 3 (in addition to ghost heat, the third mount isn't nearly as nice), so 2HPPC should fit great in there. I'm guessing at higher tonnage there should be former XL 2PPC/1Gauss snipers who could benefit similarly.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're going for that gauss event cheevo just grab anything that can dual gauss and hang back a bit from the front line. I think I got it in something like 3 matches with a MadIIC

Oh, no I got it in my first 1 or 2 games in my K2, was just looking for a good fast sniper mech to annoy people with.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sterling_Archer posted:

Oh, no I got it in my first 1 or 2 games in my K2, was just looking for a good fast sniper mech to annoy people with.

Gauss rifles only make sense when your build has plenty of spare tonnage but little heat capacity, i.e. on heavier mechs. Lighter mechs should snipe with energy weapons.

If you want fast and sneaky, this is as far as you can take it: RVN-3L

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Sterling_Archer posted:

Just lol if you put anything but ac20s in your K2.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just lol if you put anything but ac20s in your K2.

4 ERLL for CW :barf:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I use 2ERLL / 2 UAC5 / 2ML on my K2. It's pretty fun to play because it's got options at every range. Stay at ~600m most of the time, whenever you jam pull back a little and keep poking with only the lasers showing, if an enemy gets too close use only the torso weapons to have good heat efficiency.

I tried 2AC10 / 2LL as well but didn't manage to make it work.

The big gun K2 builds are classic, but they became a lot less fun after the Jagermech came out, and later the Warhammer.

e: Unrelated, I just learned that airstrikes can OHK Locusts :(

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 1, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I had the same thought, but in the opposite direction.

The Heavy PPC is a pretty crappy deal on paper: 40% more weight and 50% more heat for only 20% more pinpoint damage, plus some splash. 3 PPC would be way more efficient than 2 HPPC. But you can't fire 3 PPC together, while you can fire 2 HPPC at once.

There should be a few sniper mechs that can use that. I know the Thunderbolt-9S is currrently a little weak with 2 PPC and a little awkward with 3 (in addition to ghost heat, the third mount isn't nearly as nice), so 2HPPC should fit great in there. I'm guessing at higher tonnage there should be former XL 2PPC/1Gauss snipers who could benefit similarly.

Well apparently we're not the only ones. PTS got patched with no notes, but light PPC ghost heat is now at 3 instead of 2, which is a pretty big buff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah the PTS got its first balance pass.

Ballistic

• UAC/10
    Fixed ammo tuning to appropriate amount, 40 shots per ton, 20 per half ton
    Heat reduced to 3 (from 4)

• UAC/20
    Fixed Ammo tuning to appropriate amount, 21 shots per ton, 9 per half ton
    Heat reduced to 6 (from 7)

• RAC 2
    Increased damage up to 0.7 (from 0.5)
    Reduced Spin up time to .75 seconds (from 1 second)
    Increased velocity to 1500 (from 1150)

• RAC 5
    Increased damage up to 1.35 (from 1.2)
    Reduced Spin up time to 1 second (from 1.25 seconds)
    Increased velocity to 1025 (from 950)
    Increased ammo to 150 shots per ton, 75 per half ton (from 130 and 65 respectively)

• Light Machine Gun (Both Clan / IS)
    Damage increased to 0.07 (from 0.06)
    Crit Multiplier increased to 13(from 9)

• Heavy MachineGun (Both Clan / IS)
    Damage reduced to 0.14 (from 0.15)
    Crit Multiplier reduced to 6 (from 9)

• Light Gauss
    Increased velocity to 2200 (from 2000
    Decreased Cooldown to 3.75 (from 5)

• Heavy Gauss
    Increased velocity to 1500 (from 1000)

Energy

• Light PPC
    Increased the minimum heat penalty trigger to 4 (from 3)
    Component Health reduced to 5 (from 7.5)

• Heavy PPC
    Projectile damage increased to 13 (from 12)
    Arcing Damage decreased to 1 (from 1.5)
    Minimum range now represented by an exponential damage drop off similar to Clan LRMs.

• Heavy Small Laser
    Duration decreased to 1.2
    Cooldown Increased to 3.9

• Heavy Medium Laser
    Duration Decreased to 1.45
    Cooldown Increased to 5.15

• Heavy Large Laser
    Duration Decreased to 1.55

Missiles

*Special Note*
First round PTS feedback alerted us to a current bug on PTS in which the Artemis Mech upgrade is unintentionally boosting MRM, ATM, and Rocket Launcher spread attributes. This will be fixed for the final feature release, but it still remains within this current PTS. It is advised that anyone wishing to test the new Missile weapon systems on PTS to take the Artemis Guidance Mech upgrade to test currently intended spread test values.

• MRM 10
    Velocity increased to 400 (from 350)

• MRM 20
    Component Health increased to 10 (from 7.5)

• MRM 30
    Component Health increased to 12.5 (from 7.5)

• MRM 14
    Component Health increased to 15 (from 7.5)

• ATM 3
    Minimum Range reduced to 120 meters (from 180)

• ATM 6
    Component health increased to 5 (from 3.5)

• ATM 9
    Component health increased to 7.5 (from 3.5)

• ATM 12
    Component health increased to 10 (from 3.5)

• Rocket Launcher 10
    Spread increased to 6.2
    Heat Penalty value increased to 3.5 (from 1.75)
    Heat Penalty Trigger reduced to 3 (From 5)

• Rocket Launcher 15
    Spread increased to 6.2
    Heat Penalty Trigger reduced to 2 (From 5)

• Rocket Launcher 20
    Spread increased to 6.2
    Heat Penalty Trigger reduced to 2 (From 5)

Equipment:

• Laser Anti Missile System (Both Clan / IS)

• Heat reduced to 3.5 (from 4)

Please note that these values still remain test values and may change by final release.

Blanket buffs almost across the board. It's a move in the right direction, which is nice.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Skippy McPants posted:

[*]RAC 2
Increased damage up to 0.7 (from 0.5)
Reduced Spin up time to .75 seconds (from 1 second)
Increased velocity to 1500 (from 1150)

[*]RAC 5
Increased damage up to 1.35 (from 1.2)
Reduced Spin up time to 1 second (from 1.25 seconds)
Increased velocity to 1025 (from 950)
Increased ammo to 150 shots per ton, 75 per half ton (from 130 and 65 respectively)

That's like a blanket 50% buff to RAC2. Baby it's Christmas time

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rysithusiku posted:

To make them feasible they still need to ditch the ghost heat on them. They require too much face time for lights and mediums and dakka heavies/assaults can't boat them due to the GH.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Honestly, I'd rather they remain a gimmick weapon. Like LRMs, they're simply too much of a pain in the rear end if they're actually good.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

To make them feasible they still need to ditch the ghost heat on them. They require too much face time for lights and mediums and dakka heavies/assaults can't boat them due to the GH.

You say this. But I could stick 2 RAC2, 2mg, and some SRMs on a bushwacker and just go to town

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

It's really not. I tried them today, they're still terrible, though probably better than the RAC5 now since they do similar DPS for less weight and far far less heat. That said, almost any other weapon kills faster, and without having to stare your enemy in the face without moving.

Someone did the math; because of how fast they overheat and how long they take to spool (and especially because they generate jam bar while spooling up and not firing) you can fire for a theoretical maximum of 26% of the time. Adding insult to injury, because of how this game plays cover is important, which means someone peeks out, you spool up, they shoot you, and by the time you're ready to fire they're moving back into cover and you're a quarter of the way through your firing bar without ever having fired a shot. Then, when they peek you again in a few seconds you have to spool again but the bar hasn't depleted yet so you're even more hosed.

Even in an absolute best case scenario where you and your opponent are on a flat plane with no cover I've found that you tend to just flat out lose to other weapons because you can't twist and they can, RACs have pretty bad spread, and again, your gun only fires for 26% of the time while they can keep dumping shots into you.

Making the guns not generate jam while spooling would fix most of these problems by increasing the percent time you are firing and by not penalizing you for moments where you don't shoot after getting peeked.

The other thing that they need to do is fix the ghost heat. Firing a RAC5 and an RAC2 together at the same time should have no ghost heat but overheats you so fast that it's like a 12 ER ML alpha in a Nova where you cannot survive it, you just sort of die. Furthermore, firing an RAC2 and then another RAC2 on different control groups shouldn't generate any heat either but does the same thing; and PGI has been aware of these problems since the PTS start. It suggests to me that the ghost heat code is hard enough to fix here that they're not going to be able to do it or not going to deem it worth doing, so they're just going to do something worse.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tarbrush posted:

They have a bunch of new guns and armour and engines on the test server, they have an elaborate new skill system that isnt terrible, they have a few new game modes, they are doing lots of sensible incremental tweaks. Still an arena shooter but it seems like they are doing all the stuff goons have wanted for years, though it may be too late...

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Lol, those patch notes read like the fixes are to correct the original copy/pasted values that got pushed live.

:pgi:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

Even in an absolute best case scenario where you and your opponent are on a flat plane with no cover I've found that you tend to just flat out lose to other weapons because you can't twist and they can, RACs have pretty bad spread, and again, your gun only fires for 26% of the time while they can keep dumping shots into you.

Wait, they have spread? Well that's bullshit. Dash all my dreams why donchya :pgi:

What would be fantastic is if you could rotate your torso independently of your arms. Like Q/E to wiggle your torso while your arms stay on your mouse. Thatd be loving baller

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

Wait, they have spread? Well that's bullshit. Dash all my dreams why donchya :pgi:

What would be fantastic is if you could rotate your torso independently of your arms. Like Q/E to wiggle your torso while your arms stay on your mouse. Thatd be loving baller

Comp matches would look like a bunch of robots doing the dab.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

You can use free look to almost achieve this effect, I say almost because your aim still drifts a bit but I use this in order to shoot out of the corner of my eye with mechs that have arm actuators. It is actually really good for saving your weapons side/CT

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sebmojo posted:

They have a bunch of new guns and armour and engines on the test server, they have an elaborate new skill system that isnt terrible, they have a few new game modes, they are doing lots of sensible incremental tweaks. Still an arena shooter but it seems like they are doing all the stuff goons have wanted for years, though it may be too late...

Is it still a sniper/lurm fest?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

tarbrush posted:

Is it still a sniper/lurm fest?

no dude everyone is running SRMs and AC/20s and every game is brawling heaven, what the gently caress do you think

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, it hasn't been a lurmfest for years unless the idea of cover and joint pushes is totally alien to you.

Still some snipers but tbh it's mostly about midrange play.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Brawling with Dad

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
A: my friend and i were in a match against you and some other goons, tjyv. We got loving rolled, the pubbies were useless (as useless as us)

B: got the battlemaster. What should i do with it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I like 3lpl 5 ml with that one.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
4ml? It's the 1g, 1 laser in the arm, 3 in the right torso, 4 in the left torso. How do you get it all to fit?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, 4 ML. something close to this build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oooof. 4 million cbills. I haven't been playing consistently, so i dont have a bunch saved up. Maybe I'll try a budget version...

Thanks

• Locked thread