Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What's Poseidon got against Zeus? I suppose he and Cronus are both planning on the ol' backstab tango at the end to take control of everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Kronos being the ultimate villain is actually weirdly common in Greek mythology inspired modern fiction: off the top of my head I can think of more instances of that than I can "Hades as an out and out villain."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MinistryofLard posted:

Kronos being the ultimate villain is actually weirdly common in Greek mythology inspired modern fiction: off the top of my head I can think of more instances of that than I can "Hades as an out and out villain."

At least the Percy Jackson series uses him because it's explicitly history repeating itself with the Titanomachy. The sequel series uses the far less commonly seen Gigantomachy, with Gaia as the primary villain.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

At least the Percy Jackson series uses him because it's explicitly history repeating itself with the Titanomachy. The sequel series uses the far less commonly seen Gigantomachy, with Gaia as the primary villain.

Gaia was basically always a villain in Greek myths for whatever reason. Poseidon is pretty uniformly murderous and evil too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Melth posted:

Gaia was basically always a villain in Greek myths for whatever reason. Poseidon is pretty uniformly murderous and evil too.

The Mediterranean makes for pretty rough sailing, so it's easy to see why the Greeks would think the god of the sea was an rear end in a top hat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, Arkantos hasn't got a chance. Even if he succeeds, Kronos has time on his side.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MinistryofLard posted:

Thing is, Hades is actually a pretty chill guy. He only ever messed with humans in the whole Persephone mess and even that was eventually solved more or less peacefully.
He just got bad PR on account of his job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Thing is, Hades is actually a pretty chill guy. He only ever messed with humans in the whole Persephone mess and even that was eventually solved more or less peacefully.
He just got bad PR on account of his job.

The bad PR is uniformly from more modern audiences, it should be noted. The Greeks didn't love him, but they respected him. Pluto was downright popular with the Romans as god of wealth - which comes from under the earth, after all.

My favorite modern depiction of Hades comes from The Dresden Files, where he's a polite, classy gentleman who loves his wife and three-headed doggy and is a collector of wealth and art with exquisite taste. He's just not good with people.

Melth posted:

Gaia was basically always a villain in Greek myths for whatever reason.

But not in modern depictions, where she's usually the lone good Titan (this game) or at least no worse than Zeus (God of War).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Melth posted:

Gaia was basically always a villain in Greek myths for whatever reason.

Gaia was really salty over the Titanomachy wrecking the planet and blamed the Olympians for all the damage IIRC

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
There's an amusing Easter Egg if you check the Mission Hints the moment the mission starts. It reads, paraphrased: "Next time, don't drink so much wine before going to sleep."

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cythereal posted:

But not in modern depictions, where she's usually the lone good Titan (this game) or at least no worse than Zeus (God of War).

God of War had a pretty easy answer to the pantheons in general. Which gods/titans do you not murder? Uh, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Athena? It's been a while since I played so I could be misremembering. And I'm sure there are many that don't show up because there's only so much room in 3 games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Qrr posted:

God of War had a pretty easy answer to the pantheons in general. Which gods/titans do you not murder? Uh, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Athena? It's been a while since I played so I could be misremembering. And I'm sure there are many that don't show up because there's only so much room in 3 games.

Oh to the contrary, Kratos does murder Hephaestus and Athena. :v: The only gods Kratos meets who he doesn't kill are Aphrodite and Artemis.

I liked God of War's depiction of Hera, though. Everything about Hera makes so much more sense if you assume she's drunk 24/7.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Cythereal posted:

Oh to the contrary, Kratos does murder Hephaestus and Athena. :v: The only gods Kratos meets who he doesn't kill are Aphrodite and Artemis.

I liked God of War's depiction of Hera, though. Everything about Hera makes so much more sense if you assume she's drunk 24/7.

If Zeus was your husband wouldn't you be?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'd honestly say they deserve each other.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Fair. Greek mythology is kinda like an episode of It's Always Sunny tbh.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

anilEhilated posted:

I'd honestly say they deserve each other.

I dunno. Zeus is a horrible husband, but Hera is just a horrible person in every way to everyone all the time. And I can't think of a single redeeming feature she has, whereas Zeus does show that when the chips are down he actually has the guts to face giant monsters like Typhon while all the other gods chicken out and run away. Or punish various wrongdoers and so forth.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Melth posted:

I dunno. Zeus is a horrible husband, but Hera is just a horrible person in every way to everyone all the time. And I can't think of a single redeeming feature she has, whereas Zeus does show that when the chips are down he actually has the guts to face giant monsters like Typhon while all the other gods chicken out and run away. Or punish various wrongdoers and so forth.

She's... nice to Jason? The shittiest hero of them all?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Kratos doesn't even make a clean sweep of the twelve Olympians, surprisingly enough. He knocks off Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Persephone, Ares, Hera, Hermes, Athena (on accident), Hercules, Morpheus, Hepheastus, and Helios. Artemis and Aphrodite survive their meetings with him while Apollo, Demeter, Dionysus, and Hestia are completely MIA.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Melth posted:

Does she interact with anyone besides Paris that isn't someone Zeus has cheated on her with?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Does she interact with anyone besides Paris that isn't someone Zeus has cheated on her with?

Jason.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Melth posted:

To be fair, that's just because the Greeks were horrible misogynists- hell, wasn't Medusa punished for the crime of being pretty enough to rape? I'm sure that if there were any myths that portrayed Hera in a good light, the vast majority of them would've been stamped out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, that's just because the Greeks were horrible misogynists- hell, wasn't Medusa punished for the crime of being pretty enough to rape? I'm sure that if there were any myths that portrayed Hera in a good light, the vast majority of them would've been stamped out.

You also have Arachne being turned into a spider because she was good at weaving and that really pissed Athena off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

You also have Arachne being turned into a spider because she was good at weaving and that really pissed Athena off.

Well, more specifically Arachne bragged about being a better weaver than Athena, the goddess of useful crafts.

Rule #1 About Being In Greek Mythology: Never, ever brag about being better than a god in any context. Ever.

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, that's just because the Greeks were horrible misogynists- hell, wasn't Medusa punished for the crime of being pretty enough to rape?

In most versions of the myths, yeah, and this was also the origin of Scylla and Charybdis most of the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

That doesn't really apply, though: Athena was pretty fair as far as goddesses went. Arachne bragged, so Athena challenged her to put her needles where her mouth was and have a weaving contest. Arachne lost, so Athena figured to make Arachne's bragging true as the perfect mix of punishment and consolation prize - Arachne really became the best weaver there was.
Like there's a lot of innocent victims of gods in the Greek myth but Arachne isn't one of them - she got punished for being dumb.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 29, 2017

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

anilEhilated posted:

That doesn't really apply, though: Athena was pretty fair as far as goddesses went. Arachne bragged, so Athena challenged her to put her needles where her mouth was and have a weaving contest. Arachne lost, so Athena figured to make Arachne's bragging true as the perfect mix of punishment and consolation prize - Arachne really became the best weaver there was.
Like there's a lot of innocent victims of gods in the Greek myth but Arachne isn't one of them - she got punished for being dumb.

See, the version of the myth I'm familiar with has Arachne pretty soundly beating Athena, Athena pitching a fit and destroying Arachne's tapestry, and turning her into the first spider to top it all off.

Then again, the compilation I got familiarized with that tale with uses Roman names for the gods out of author's preference, so take it with a grain of salt.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There's also a version where Arachne loses to Athena and then kills herself so Athena brings her back as a spider out of pity

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Athena is a psycho like all the rest. I mean, for starters she worked tirelessly to make sure the population of an entire city was massacred or enslaved because one guy who wasn't even the ruler didn't say that she was more beautiful than the goddess of beauty- after they all sought him out to judge them.

But actually pretty much every myth with Athena has her killing someone for completely petty reasons.

Except for Hestia, Hephaestus, and Hades, all the olympians are horrifying.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

The version of Arachne's story I read had Arachne have her tapestry judged superior, but because the tapestry depicted the gods as debauched nutcases Athena shoved Arachne's needles and thread down her throat. When that killed her, Athena felt bad and turned her into a new creature with thread and needles as part of it's body.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Melth posted:

Athena is a psycho like all the rest. I mean, for starters she worked tirelessly to make sure the population of an entire city was massacred or enslaved because one guy who wasn't even the ruler didn't say that she was more beautiful than the goddess of beauty- after they all sought him out to judge them.

But actually pretty much every myth with Athena has her killing someone for completely petty reasons.

Except for Hestia, Hephaestus, and Hades, all the olympians are horrifying.

yeah hades is a good guy, he calls his dog spot

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Whammiewazzle posted:

The version of Arachne's story I read had Arachne have her tapestry judged superior, but because the tapestry depicted the gods as debauched nutcases Athena shoved Arachne's needles and thread down her throat. When that killed her, Athena felt bad and turned her into a new creature with thread and needles as part of it's body.

Now I'm picturing the Greek gods as being really ignorant of mortals.

"Wait, humans die when you shove a lot of sharp things down their throat? I figured we'd have a good laugh about it afterwards! Uh, what can I do to tell her I'm sorry... ooh, everyone loves bugs, right?"

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Sordas Volantyr posted:

See, the version of the myth I'm familiar with has Arachne pretty soundly beating Athena, Athena pitching a fit and destroying Arachne's tapestry, and turning her into the first spider to top it all off.

Then again, the compilation I got familiarized with that tale with uses Roman names for the gods out of author's preference, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ovid's Metamorphoses, yes? My Classical Mythologies prof was of the opinion that Ovid wrote that as an "up yours" to Augustus Caesar who aspired to godhood. "Look at all these gods who are terrible people".

Most of the stories slant pretty heavily towards gods and cults being dangerous and bad compared to their "original" Greek versions.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always assumed that most polytheistic gods were kinda dicks because they represented natural forces which were pretty dickish

I guess I'm not really sure if non-Greek gods are dicks though. The Aesir seem pretty chill from what I remember of them.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

cheetah7071 posted:

I always assumed that most polytheistic gods were kinda dicks because they represented natural forces which were pretty dickish

I guess I'm not really sure if non-Greek gods are dicks though. The Aesir seem pretty chill from what I remember of them.

At their worst they can be every bit as bad as the Greek gods, but they don't get to those highs quite as often.

Oh boy when they do though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What about the Egyptian pantheon? From my limited knowledge, only Set was an rear end in a top hat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CommissarMega posted:

What about the Egyptian pantheon? From my limited knowledge, only Set was an rear end in a top hat.

Egyptian gods are hard to nail down because of the absurd length of time they were around in some form or another. Many of them changed radically over the centuries, and a lot of times older depictions would be destroyed when new ones came into vogue etc,

While this is true of basically all ancient pantheons, Egypt had such an ancient and long running civilization its really exacerbated.

Like remember there are Pyramids still standing that are almost 5000 years old, and Egyptian society and records go back further than that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CommissarMega posted:

Given Zore's point, there are some whose very names imply assholery, such as Am-Heh, the Devourer-Of-Millions, Eater-Of-Eternity.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Given Zore's point, there are some whose very names imply assholery, such as Am-Heh, the Devourer-Of-Millions, Eater-Of-Eternity.
...And then it turns out it was just the god of cooks and feasting.
(I have no idea what they were a god of)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 30, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

...And then it turns out it was just the good of cooks and feasting.

The closest thing the Egyptian pantheon has to a traditional supreme evil being is Apophis, a primeval serpent that wants to eat the sun. Set's generally a dick but seldom that kind of overt evil. Isis could also be an incredible pain in the rear end if you got on her bad side in most myths.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

...And then it turns out it was just the god of cooks and feasting.

According to wikipedia he lives in a lake of fire in the underworld, so he sounds more like some sort of demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Balderdash. The ancient Egyptians just understood the value of well-cooked ingredients.

It does make me wonder about where the fire=hell=bad connection comes from; I mean, most of our concepts of Hell come from Dante and Milton, but the only fiery bad guy ancient mythology I can name off the top of my head was Loki.

• Locked thread