Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Roland Jones posted:

Guy has quicksand powers. No, I don't know how they're related. He's still neat though.

Oh, it's likely not related at all. People in MHA just have weird physical mutations.

Sometimes the mutations are related to powers--like Tsuyu. Other times they have a bird head because, well, their parents had bird heads too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

Sometimes the mutations are related to powers--like Tsuyu. Other times they have a bird head because, well, their parents had bird heads too.

This makes me wonder how common some mutations are if both parents have the same/similar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm interested in how they're perceived in the wider world, it seem look like those with severe physical mutations are looked down upon like say the Morlocks in X-Men but then we haven't seen many that aren't in some way 'attractive' or at least cool looking.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'd assume that people in a post-quirk society are generally super chill about someone looking like a bird/frog/whatever or having six giant freakish body horror arms with webbing and appendages that can morph into ears/mouths/eyes :cry:

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
At the same time children can be very cruel so it wouldn't be surprising if some people get ostracized for being the monster mash

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Je suis fatigue posted:

At the same time children can be very cruel so it wouldn't be surprising if some people get ostracized for being the monster mash

A lot of that comes from everyone around you being very similar and then suddenly being confronted with a big difference you'd never even considered, prompting a WHAT THE HELL IS THAT reaction. If you grew up surrounded by people with a lot of body variation, both in real life and in media, you'd probably get over that quick.

That said, Tsuyu's friend Mongoose wasn't exactly little miss popular. But on the third hand, nobody's screaming "OH BLERGH IT'S THAT OCTOPUS GUY" either.

So in conclusion, MHA is a study in contrasts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Guy has quicksand powers. No, I don't know how they're related. He's still neat though.

Dude is also one of the four recommended Students. I don't think we know who the other recomended student in Class B is however.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Might be copy guy, that's a hell of a quirk and it would explain his self-superior attitude.

There's someone in the manga whose unusual appearance is a minor point, but that's not for a while yet, and he's kind of the exception.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like that so far the weirdest people get about someone's appearance is the police officer who was a cat person because they were expecting the more cliche police dog character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not having an episode this week is gonna throw me off, but they've always been good about taking their time to make sure everything works out.

Wouldn't have minded some filler clip show ep or something so they don't have to do any recap during next week's episode, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait there's no episode this week?? :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nah, but new OP and ED next week with the new cour. Hope we get another Best Girls ED.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, but new OP and ED next week with the new cour. Hope we get another Best Girls ED.
I imagine it will be something like that since the ED is being done by LiSA.

Tsuyu never made any friends because she was busy taking care of her siblings, was working towards going to UA, and people had a hard time approaching her because her face is hard to read.

Which speaks to heteromorphic mutations being insanely common. Tsuyu being a froggirl didn't really gross anyone out or repulse anyone, people just were less comfortable to approach or interact with her because she's really really hard to read and that makes conversation awkward. I think her frogform-induced poker face works really well with her bluntness- it'd make sense to be more direct/blunt when you can't emote as much as other people.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Mirage posted:

That said, Tsuyu's friend Mongoose wasn't exactly little miss popular. But on the third hand, nobody's screaming "OH BLERGH IT'S THAT OCTOPUS GUY" either.

So in conclusion, MHA is a study in contrasts.

I didn't want to say anything about Mongoose because this is the anime thread but I guess the Training of the Dead OVA has been out for a month now (I only just watched it yesterday). There's also Shinso who looks completely normal but people are creeped out by his quirk so he's not exactly popular either.

People seem to get over it once they get into high school in this world though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hell, Deku caught more hell for being quirkless than anyone else seems to have, and they're supposedly 1/5 of the population.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PMush Perfect posted:

Hell, Deku caught more hell for being quirkless than anyone else seems to have, and they're supposedly 1/5 of the population.

All Might said that quirklessness was more common when he was younger than it is now, which could mean that there were more people alive who were born before quirks appeared, but I guess you could also interpret that to mean that quirklessness is getting rarer with each generation, so while 20% of the population might be quirkless, it's more common among older people than kids.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That would make sense, but it'd still be like mocking someone for being left handed. Makes sense in kindergarten, not so much in middle school.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

That would make sense, but it'd still be like mocking someone for being left handed. Makes sense in kindergarten, not so much in middle school.
Quirks are kinda viewed like a part of being an average human being in the MHA-verse. Midoriya probably was looked at like he was literally disabled.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Pakled posted:

All Might said that quirklessness was more common when he was younger than it is now, which could mean that there were more people alive who were born before quirks appeared, but I guess you could also interpret that to mean that quirklessness is getting rarer with each generation, so while 20% of the population might be quirkless, it's more common among older people than kids.

I'm not sure if it's ever outright stated or simply implied, but the sense I got from what I've read of the manga is that this is indeed the case, and that being a Quirkless kid in Midoriya's generation is incredibly uncommon. For example, at the beginning of the series, though we didn't see the rest of his school, he at least seemed to be the only one in his class without a Quirk.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also most of the crap we saw him catch for being Quirkless was slung by Bakugo, known rear end in a top hat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
More importantly kids around that age are noted shitheads.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I imagine it will be something like that since the ED is being done by LiSA.

Tsuyu never made any friends because she was busy taking care of her siblings, was working towards going to UA, and people had a hard time approaching her because her face is hard to read.

Which speaks to heteromorphic mutations being insanely common. Tsuyu being a froggirl didn't really gross anyone out or repulse anyone, people just were less comfortable to approach or interact with her because she's really really hard to read and that makes conversation awkward. I think her frogform-induced poker face works really well with her bluntness- it'd make sense to be more direct/blunt when you can't emote as much as other people.

The most minor of setting details from the manga: Non-quirk physical mutations are common enough that pretty much all clothing stores in the MHA world have tailoring services.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dude is also one of the four recommended Students. I don't think we know who the other recomended student in Class B is however.

huh, I thought it was the vines hair girl, but apparently not.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

My money's on the rear end in a top hat who can copy quirks

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

It's gotta be speach bubble head, how does that guy get in to UA he doesn't even have a face

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ok, wasn't able to watch the last two episodes when they came out, but all caught up now.

25: I really did not expect the bakugo/todoroki fight to go in the direction it did. but bakugo's reaction to it was great

26: alien queen > pinky. FROPPY FROPPY FROPPY. I now know where the engrishy names on the subway posters came from, cool! That's, uh, quite some foreshadowing you're doing there, deku.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/karehng/status/880861210609987584

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
God, gently caress you Endevour.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's more like a mash-up where you combine a good song and a terrible song and get an amazing song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxu0k3017vc

For example. (I do not care for 21P)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

New visual and casting for some of the pro heroes in part 2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How long is Best Jeanist's neck?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Maybe his neck is normal size, but he has a really long skull.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

He's Benedict Cumberbatch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KAE-DAk5B8

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wanna play Dragon Quest Academia now

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The new OP song isn't very good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araki posted:

The new OP song isn't very good.
Thankfully, the new ED is a god drat treasure. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love that Mt. Lady played the hell out of Mineta.

All Might is All Right All Night - The taiyaki is me!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 8, 2017

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I loved the little cowboy whistle during Gran Torino's reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The new OP is alright. That ED is great. Totally didn't expect that; maybe we'll get the kung-fu AU in the next one.

• Locked thread