Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Verisimilidude posted:

FF XV was the biggest piece of dog poo poo but for some reason I was super compelled to finish it. I hated everything about it. I thought the graphics were too busy, the characters looked stupid, the story was mindless, combat felt awful, traversing the world was a chore. In retrospect there is not one thing I liked about that game. And yet I got it, and couldn't put it down.

Yeah, but rocket league car....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

- transfer the bits to your friends when you let them borrow the game

- yeah, this is why I've never had to upgrade my HD either. Just uninstall the game data, free up 50+ gigs. You can reinstall it in 5 mins.

Okay, so downloading 6 gigs as opposed to 60.

Depending. I think just to play Star Wars Battlefront, which I bought the disc for so that I could show people the VR mode, it requires a 50 GB patch. So even owning the disc, if I want to show somebody that section, it's a 50 GB download no matter what.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress you native forest

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Depending. I think just to play Star Wars Battlefront, which I bought the disc for so that I could show people the VR mode, it requires a 50 GB patch. So even owning the disc, if I want to show somebody that section, it's a 50 GB download no matter what.

On the other hand why would anyone ever play that game: is what I want to say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The X-wing mission is goddamn amazing and worth the disk footprint, at least temporarily. Ignore the rest.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
FFXV was fun but also super flawed.

Crash Remaster is really fun. The complaints about the jump is valid, but I remember jumping being really floaty in the original game, too. I remember the early level layouts really well, but not how to unlock the secrets. This is a cool and good remaster, and a fair price, too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Legitimately only because the X-Wing experience is loving fantastic, packaged with a poo poo game I've never touched. But, again, to play it, you have to download a 50GB patch first.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renoistic posted:

FFXV let's me play the drat game within the first ten minutes so I can't say I agree. And no, walking from cutscene to cutscene is not really gameplay.

Lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Games Gameplay Gatekeepers

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I didn't really like Persona 5 overall but the opening owns. I mean it's part VN this is what you signed up for.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm thinking about picking up a cheap PS3 slim from gamestop today. I had one up til the PS4 came out but there's a lot of games that never made it to the PS4. Any recommendations? I don't really remember what the library and PS3 scene was like back then and once the PS4 came out I pretty much ignored the previous gen entirely. I like pretty much anything that isn't survival horror.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

HonorableTB posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap PS3 slim from gamestop today. I had one up til the PS4 came out but there's a lot of games that never made it to the PS4. Any recommendations? I don't really remember what the library and PS3 scene was like back then and once the PS4 came out I pretty much ignored the previous gen entirely. I like pretty much anything that isn't survival horror.

Nier.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Morby posted:

FFXV was fun but also super flawed.

Crash Remaster is really fun. The complaints about the jump is valid, but I remember jumping being really floaty in the original game, too. I remember the early level layouts really well, but not how to unlock the secrets. This is a cool and good remaster, and a fair price, too.

Same here for Crash. I'm loving it, but can't remember where a vast majority of the hidden boxes are or how the heck I get the gems that lead to other boxes. I also either had way more patience 20 years ago or had way more time on my hands to beat every one of these levels without dying.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

haha, they actually got around to adding this?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Was there a flash sale last weekend? I was sick and not exactly thinking about checking.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, wasn't great though you didn't miss much

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wow, Crash looks great! I was worried about the design and color pallet from the pre-release stuff but in motion it's actually really beautiful.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Anyone have any experience with the PS Platinum Wireless Headset and the PS Pulse Elite compared to the PS Gold headset? Wondering how big a jump in quality am I getting for the price.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's a bunch of games that have bonkers sized updates now. I'm with you though. That's why I still buy discs.

Stuff like the X-wing mission really makes me wish we were allowed to pick and choose which updates we take. It sucks having to take up so much HDD real estate with a game I don't play, just so I can demo the drat thing. A friend was at my house the other day and wanted to try it, but I had to shoot him down because updating and installing would have taken hours.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ularg posted:

Anyone have any experience with the PS Platinum Wireless Headset and the PS Pulse Elite compared to the PS Gold headset? Wondering how big a jump in quality am I getting for the price.

Don't. If you can find the plats used for like $50-70 then MAYBE. I've owned the golds and have the plats

Check out the lucid sound LS30z

I'm a bit of a dork that owns/owned too many headsets just cause

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Don't. If you can find the plats used for like $50-70 then MAYBE. I've owned the golds and have the plats

Check out the lucid sound LS30z

I'm a bit of a dork that owns/owned too many headsets just cause

For sound quality or mic quality? Beyond having to have a built in mic for obvious reasons, I hope it's either wireless or has a long wire and no problem connecting to my PS4. Cause I think I've had quality issues previously trying to plug wired headphones through my controller.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ularg posted:

Pulse Elite is a great sounding headset with some junky components. Mine is in it's fourth year of daily use and I get 4-7 hours of time from the old batteries.

The fake leather PU lining to the ear cups flaked off entirely around 8 months ago which is fine because I hate the stuff.

The plastic near the ear cups split at 2 years of use (from yanking it on and off with 1 hand) so I wrapped both joints with a bit of electrical tape and they've been holding strong. I've used it pretty hard and I'd say I might be able to get another year out of it.

Sound and mic quality (even without a boom) is great, and it has a splitter, as well as an 1/8th inch jack. Simulated 7.1 is cool but eats batteries, so I use stereo.

It can load custom sound profiles for certain high profile games, and it rumbles for some reason but I never use the feature.

If you can get the Pulse Elite new for $70 then I'd say go for it. Otherwise there are probably better options, but as you can see I don't fetishize headsets at all, they're just my concession to living somewhere with thin walls.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Goddamn Crash 1 is such a loving sadistic game. It honestly plays like a rom hack at times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone pick up the Crash Bandicoot collection?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

PantsBandit posted:

Goddamn Crash 1 is such a loving sadistic game. It honestly plays like a rom hack at times.

Crash 1 is probably the hardest one in the series. Back in the PSX era I started at 2 and goddamn did the slide jump mechanic really makes things better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ularg posted:

For sound quality or mic quality? Beyond having to have a built in mic for obvious reasons, I hope it's either wireless or has a long wire and no problem connecting to my PS4. Cause I think I've had quality issues previously trying to plug wired headphones through my controller.

I suppose for a built-in mic it's not terrible, but I don't remember it being good. The plats are 100% wireless. I also hate not having separate mic and game volume controls. The plats work like the golds and just raise or lower one it was always hard to find the sweet spot and like the golds the buttons are easy to forget as to what they do

The controller works well enough for wired poo poo but it is limited by the DS4 hardware and the Bluetooth transmission

But really check out the LS30's. The LS40's are their surround sound variation but they're dog poo poo

I currently use the newest iteration of Astro A50s which are stupid expensive but I got them used so 🤷🏽‍♀️

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Crash 1 is probably the hardest one in the series. Back in the PSX era I started at 2 and goddamn did the slide jump mechanic really makes things better.

I think they learned a lot about design from the first game. There are sections of platforming that are just sinister and require incredibly precise timing, and sometimes you can't even tell what the timing is going to be until after you're past the point of no return.

Luckily that doesn't apply to that many levels, so the game is still really good as a whole.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

...! posted:

Was there a flash sale last weekend? I was sick and not exactly thinking about checking.
Nah, but for everyone who checked the store, they gave away Knack and Knack 2 for free (when it comes out).

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 30, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Did they mess with the physics in Crash 1 because the multi turtle section in the high road seems like a crapshoot

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, wasn't great though you didn't miss much

Well, that's good. Sometimes they're great and sometimes they're poo poo. Their regular weekly sales have gotten a lot better, at least.

The awful thing is that awhile back they had Demon's Souls on sale every week and I decided not to buy it every single time since I've already platted it. The instant I decided that I wanted to play it again, they took it off sale and it hasn't been on sale since. So I'll be waiting forever for a sale on both that and Drakengard 3, which I don't think has ever been on sale.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is RESIDENT EVIL NET useful for anything? (RE1)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone is looking for some free money, you can buy Need for Speed and NFS Rivals , plants be zombie 2 and shadow of modded from Best Buy @ 15 each and trade them in at gamestop for $30+ each as long as you have six games.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Should you cheese the bridge levels on Crash 1 by jumping on the ropes y/n?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Games Gameplay Gatekeepers

You didn't do a great job at making that guy look worse than you here

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Buccaneer posted:

You didn't do a great job at making that guy look worse than you here

Who cares

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't stop playing Crash a Bandicoot. It's perfect in every way.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

NDI did some insane poo poo to make the Crash games and it's worth reading this whole series if you're interested: http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/04/making-crash-bandicoot-part-3/

That was a fun read! It's easy to take for granted how dense Crash 1 was with 3D geometry. When I look back at other PSX games from 1996 on Youtube there's a clear difference in visuals, performance, and animation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Pulse Elites are some of the worst headsets I have ever used. I had two separate headsets that had major problems within 4-6 months. The first had an issue where it refused to wirelessly pair, which I probably would have accepted except this also made them not work while wired. So doing all the troubleshooting I sent in for a replacement, and after a couple of months the earcup holder on the replacement broke. Again, I probably would have just lived with it except it had another pairing issue and that's when I decided "gently caress this"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Please tell me there is patch in the works to fix these terrible load times in Crash 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Pulse Elites are some of the worst headsets I have ever used. I had two separate headsets that had major problems within 4-6 months. The first had an issue where it refused to wirelessly pair, which I probably would have accepted except this also made them not work while wired. So doing all the troubleshooting I sent in for a replacement, and after a couple of months the earcup holder on the replacement broke. Again, I probably would have just lived with it except it had another pairing issue and that's when I decided "gently caress this"

That's my exact experience with every Sony wireless headset I've ever owned. The build quality is poo poo, which causes all kinds of problems.