Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Igoudala leaving really hurts Golden State. He's such a smart and versatile player, and Matt Barnes can maybe what he does but is worse at every single thing by a large factor. They're going to need some ring chasing wing who can pass, and I doubt it will be James Johnson, because he's ready to get paid. I don't see anyone who does half of what Igoudala does for t hem.

leftist heap posted:

It's definitely important. I know this is just some dumbass RealGM article and they didn't really get into their methodology for "projected" cap space, but going by this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245546/The-Maximum-Available-2017-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams-Version-50

There's about 226 million in projected cap room vs. almost 460 million in negative cap room out there. Put another way the league is at a 232 million cap deficit overall. I know there's way more wrinkles to this, and who the gently caress knows what that guy means by projected (is that resigning every cap hold, just some of them? what about trade exceptions etc). Either way, it doesn't really paint a pretty picture of the cap space in aggregate. If I was less lazy I'd try to come up with my own projected cap numbers so I could play around with it, but meh.

Aggregate cap space is also a bit of a zero sum game too, because most dudes you renounce or cut are just going right back into the pool of players looking for a slice of that pie. It's also not distributed perfectly so it really cuts down on the number of possible permutations in handing it all out.

If I was an even less lazy man I'd try to project the amount of salary there is to be handed out this year, but I suspect that it's a decent bit more than the amount of cap room out there. Lots of teams are probably going to go over or further over the cap and just re-sign players. Which probably means things are going to get worse before they get better in terms of how valuable cap space is.

Finally I'm extremely dumb and prone to making really stupid mistakes in these types of things so I could be extremely wrong about everything.

That makes sense. Bad teams might want to use their stretches asap to have big chunks of sellable cap room, because there are a lot of contenders in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Did any teams decline visiting the Bush White House over Iraq?

Just Manny Ramierez.

Also the Ravens Punter didn't visit the WH when Obama was president because Obama is pro-choice.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I made a new Be Your Own GM thread if anyone is interested in signing up. It's a real great time to spend with your fellow SAS NBA friends.

Doing a new format this year, auction, which should make for a lot of funny moments.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Oooooh LeBron's cryptic tweets got me shook

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Iggy will leave and Chris Boucher will magically turn into a mini Giannis or something because Golden State.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

zoux posted:

Just Manny Ramierez.

Also the Ravens Punter didn't visit the WH when Obama was president because Obama is pro-choice.

Boston Bruins goaltender didn't visit because :kingsley: Obama :kingsley:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Doltos posted:

Ainge's style seems to be a wait and see approach because he knows nothing he can do at the present will win a championship. Like I highly doubt anything Morey is putting together will beat the Warriors and the Celtics themselves can't really do it even if they add PG3 and Heyward.

That's the wrong way to look at it.

You want to be the next team in line if Ayesha makes an underdone coq au vin that gives Steph listeria, and KD gets run over by a cable car.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

G-Hawk posted:

per Houston chronicle, the Rockets intend to bring over Zhou Qi.

7'2 21 year old in China that they drafted in 2016. I don't know much about him. Looking around online looks like hes got a decent outside shot. Skinny as gently caress, probably needs to put on about 50lbs to not get pushed around in the paint.

so do I pronounce this "Joe Chee" or should I worry about that after we see if he sucks

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Boston Bruins goaltender didn't visit because :kingsley: Obama :kingsley:

He more than didn't visit. He basically retired to a compound somewhere off the grid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Warriors are the least likely to repeat. Durant is made of paper tissue, did everyone forget he missed almost half the season. And then he got injured again after that.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bigass Moth posted:

Oooooh LeBron's cryptic tweets got me shook

it's not that cryptic he's listening to the new Jay-Z album and posting about it like a grown teen

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Tae posted:

The Warriors are the least likely to repeat. Durant is made of paper tissue, did everyone forget he missed almost half the season. And then he got injured again after that.

He missed 20 games, and I don't recall him getting injured in the playoffs?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

so do I pronounce this "Joe Chee" or should I worry about that after we see if he sucks

That's probably as close as it gets in English. Zh is a retroflex J so your tongue should be further back, like pointed up basically

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/880868955472134144

Hahahaha

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

He got injured again in the portland series.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/880872097475551233

So this is what its like for random free agents to want to actually come play for your team

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

This is your hottest take ever, I am so impressed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Also they were still really good without him because they still had the core of a team that went 73-9.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tales of Woe posted:

Going all-in on a 'superteam' that doesn't include a MVP-level player is super risky and Ainge is right to be patient. All the posturing is presumably just to appease the dumb entitled Boston sports fans.

I don't think a team can be considered a super team without an MVP level player.

G-Hawk posted:

per Houston chronicle, the Rockets intend to bring over Zhou Qi.

7'2 21 year old in China that they drafted in 2016. I don't know much about him. Looking around online looks like hes got a decent outside shot. Skinny as gently caress, probably needs to put on about 50lbs to not get pushed around in the paint.

Rockets are going to get so many all star votes.

BOOOOO

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Did any teams decline visiting the Bush White House over Iraq?

No but Bush also didn't call groups advocating for the police not to kill black people terrorist organizations. He also didn't advocate sexually assaulting women in a recorded conversation etc. It's early in the Trump Presidency. Give him time and America will probably be in a worse war while having civil rights poo poo on even worse than the Bush era.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This Iggy thing is absolutely huge. Unless they can find another smart midsized defender who can switch like Iggy does, their whole defensive structure is undermined and their second team will get roasted on the regular.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

No but Bush also didn't call groups advocating for the police not to kill black people terrorist organizations. He also didn't advocate sexually assaulting women in a recorded conversation etc. It's early in the Trump Presidency. Give him time and we will probably be in a worse war while having our civil rights poo poo on.

Yeah his administration actually did the terrible, terrible things instead of simply saying dumb evil poo poo constantly

plus Bush approval rating after 9/11 was freakin' 70%. It was horrifying. Major news personalities lost their jobs for questioning whether we should go to war with nations uninvolved with 9/11. Democrats went along with everything they proposed instead of grandstanding about how they're doing so much by doing nothing. They all supported for the Permanent War Patriot Act, the largest-ever expansion of the security state with the foundation of DHS, the CIA creeping into military territory with its own fleet of military assassination drones, etc etc

anyhow visiting with the president is stupid except when Shumpert is wowed by a podium

DeimosRising posted:

That's probably as close as it gets in English. Zh is a retroflex J so your tongue should be further back, like pointed up basically

ooo this is helpful

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/880872097475551233

So this is what its like for random free agents to want to actually come play for your team

Too bad he'd have to settle for half of that and not be a starter to actually come to Houston so it's not happening

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

PHI PLEASE

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The champions of a sport visiting the White House is a really strange thing regardless.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/880847471546466304

Wouldn't hate giving him a 2 year deal for big money but I also would rather use that cap space to suck up bad contracts and assets

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Great marketing all around except when the President is a toxic piece of trash

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Man I just realized Brooklyn lost the Brook-Lin connection, that's a dang shame for non-basketball reasons

edit: reminding myself Brooklyn was 11-12 with Lin playing, 9-40 with him

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 30, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/DanFeldmanNBA/status/880880788211982337

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Strawberry Panda posted:

The champions of a sport visiting the White House is a really strange thing regardless.

Yeah it's some Teddy Roosevelt or Ronnie Reagan poo poo, but essentially harmless?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Gallo owns and I'll be sad to see him leave the Nuggets. Probably best that he leaves so that the Nuggets can replace him with younger players to build around Jokic, though. Goodbye :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM2UW7ofGLM

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't get why Denver doesn't commit to a real rebuild around Jokic, they've been just about to trade Wilson Chandler for like six years and it never happens

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Tae posted:

I'd still say they are the most likely, but would you take them or the field? Durant does get historically get injured a lot (but it would only really matter if he misses the WCF / Finals, they can get through the rest without him), they might lose Iguodala, and Houston could be really good.

I think I'd take the Warriors over the field, but not by a lot.

Spacebump posted:

No but Bush also didn't call groups advocating for the police not to kill black people terrorist organizations. He also didn't advocate sexually assaulting women in a recorded conversation etc. It's early in the Trump Presidency. Give him time and America will probably be in a worse war while having civil rights poo poo on even worse than the Bush era.

If you place zero worth on middle eastern lives, then yea sure Trump is worse

Overall I don't really care either way about the visit. IMO its unfair to place a responsibility of protest on athletes. If you grew up poor or w/e its probably pretty cool to be able to set foot in the White House, and they have no moral obligation to decline it. I don't view a White House visit as an endorsement of the totality of an administration's policies, because then you could probably come up with good reasons to never visit any President / Prime Minister anywhere, ever

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

morestuff posted:

I don't get why Denver doesn't commit to a real rebuild around Jokic, they've been just about to trade Wilson Chandler for like six years and it never happens

its was absolutely fuckin stupid that they didnt push harder to trade chandler and gallo before the deadline this year, and now gallo will walk for nothing

denver's fo is real fuckin' bad at everything except scouting and some ok draft luck

like one of tim connelly/josh kroenke's first moves post Ig was to sign jj hickson and randy foye to multi-year deals :cripes:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'd be pretty happy with Danilo Gallinari so jokes on him

Yeah, Gallo actually fits where Boston is at right now quite a bit if they can't get Hayward or a committed George in or only one of those things and still have money left.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/880883976684097539

Bruh. Woj is gonna go supernova tonight.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/LeighEllis/status/880885644075163648

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think lot of deals are already done

NBA clamping down I guess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/880889629402124289

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the bulls released rondo

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880889996659630081
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/880890166197596161

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Also they were still really good without him because they still had the core of a team that went 73-9.

Except for 5th man superstar Harrison Barnes!

For real though, while Durant has been pretty durable these lower body injuries are just going to keep happening more frequently, and the foot thing could legit derail a season at any time. Obviously they are in a better place to win another championship than maybe any other team in the preseason (maybe since the Bulls?) but I also wouldn't be totally blindsided if they have a season derailed due to injuries.

In the NBA you can build a team more dominate than other sports, but that team can also fall apart quickly.

• Locked thread