Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JEEVES420 posted:

It really is a struggle not to feed the troll, every post is a misinformed horrible opinion. First person I've considered for the ignore list.

He's the only person on my ignore list.
I actively don't put anyone else on there so that I may, in some small way, quarantine his horrible opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll nominate you for that as well.

That's what I get for not really proofreading my posts.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

He's the only person on my ignore list.
I actively don't put anyone else on there so that I may, in some small way, quarantine his horrible opinions.

We mustn't allow opinions we don't agree with to come near us, it may cause us to reflect upon our own beliefs and that would be bad

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like to remember that he's not a troll, he's an actual fat gently caress that believes the poo poo he spews. That makes me feel good.

I bought a National Park Access pass and spent a week in Utah. It was fantastic.

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Jun 30, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

I like to remember that he's not a troll, he's an actual fat gently caress that believes the poo poo he spews. That makes me feel good.

I bought a National Park Access pass and spent a week in Utah. It was fantastic.

Those

Are

AWESOME

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

I love that you're so mad at me liking an OS that you don't like. It's not autistic at alllllllllllllll.

Welcome to SA, the autistic for autists. Enjoy your stay PCOS Bill

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Hard to get more value out of $80 than a year of unlimited entry to hundreds of the best natural sights in the entire god damned world. Good choice.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Magic Underwear posted:

Hard to get more value out of $80 than a year of unlimited entry to hundreds of the best natural sights in the entire god damned world. Good choice.

It's also hard to come to terms with buying a pass for the thing you already pay for. Washington state parks are set to enter funding shutdown here pretty drat soon which means you can go in the overnight raffle areas without anyone there to write you the 500$ fine :grin:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

gently caress parks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

PCOS Bill posted:

We mustn't allow opinions we don't agree with to come near us, it may cause us to reflect upon our own beliefs and that would be bad

oh you maverick

i don't have you on ignore and ya, nothing you say is really insightful but i do enjoy the drama that unfolds so uhh in conclusion

*farts loudly*

canis minor
May 4, 2011

for snacking at work

to deal with dell's insane keyboard layout on new work laptop

belated bicycle maintenance

belated reading

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Are those your photos because holy poo poo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, there's a couple hundred more from the trip as well (it's my job)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You're really good at your job.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
You're really loving good at your job.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I have this, it's so good for the price.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Those are the worst selfies I've ever seen. Like :lol: you didn't even get your head in the picture. Try using the front camera next time idiot!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
and throw in a snapchat filter or two, my god we're a civilized nation

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

canis minor posted:

for snacking at work

to deal with dell's insane keyboard layout on new work laptop

belated bicycle maintenance

belated reading

Is the familiar series any good?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Sexual Shiite posted:

It can be really tiring to read especially the chinglish parts, but I like it overall. If you didn't like any other Danielewski, stay far away, if you just didn't like Only Revolutions it's fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Only Revolutions is my favorite work of writing ever (hard to call it a novel), and I loved House of Leaves, but I couldn't get super into The Familiar after struggling through vol. 1. Does it pick up?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

The Sexual Shiite posted:

To me it's the continuation of Danielewski's experiment from The Fifty Year Sword (so, every character has their own color, with no other gimmicks so far; well - there are some pages where he plays with typesets) - I found the first tome interesting with the plots like a puzzle (though Jingjing’s and Lupita's plots are tiring), but hadn't had the time yet to read anything past it, so for time being they're just sitting in the box, unread. As they were ~£8 for a book (and they are beautiful) I thought I'll risk it, even if in the end I won't like them.

For time being it's kind of... disappointing. I couldn't even start Only Revolutions

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bottom Liner posted:

Only Revolutions is my favorite work of writing ever (hard to call it a novel), and I loved House of Leaves, but I couldn't get super into The Familiar after struggling through vol. 1. Does it pick up?

Do you have a recommendation for how to actually read Only Revolutions? I've bounced off at least five times now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Read it slowly and appreciate the language and craft behind it. 8 pages at a time, alternating between the two characters. Remember that every page ties directly to the page below it in structure and language as well as it's pair in the alternate story, so every page is a part of a 4 page set. Every element of the book mirrors the characters' relationship. The stories start out far apart in tone, language (they see the events and speak of them in opposites in the beginning), and even font size, and as you get closer to the middle they get more and more similar as their relationship follows the same arch. The side bars are not very important, more to give context of where in history the story is at, similar to a lot of the subtext in House of Leaves.

It's more of a fun exercise to discover and appreciate the insanity of how he ties things together throughout than a story you read for the narrative. I think it's drat impressive writing and a beautiful book physically. It's best to approach it as a puzzly poem to figure out. It reminds me of Gravity's Rainbow in some ways, but in a different approach.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

first day, got the hang of the sampler so far. bass and FM next I think.

BobFossil has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jul 2, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Good purchase and good photos. We definitely have to go do a shoot sometime. I just shot Warped Tour yesterday and did a wedding out in Columbia, MO for the merch guy for Hellyeah.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Read it slowly and appreciate the language and craft behind it. 8 pages at a time, alternating between the two characters. Remember that every page ties directly to the page below it in structure and language as well as it's pair in the alternate story, so every page is a part of a 4 page set. Every element of the book mirrors the characters' relationship. The stories start out far apart in tone, language (they see the events and speak of them in opposites in the beginning), and even font size, and as you get closer to the middle they get more and more similar as their relationship follows the same arch. The side bars are not very important, more to give context of where in history the story is at, similar to a lot of the subtext in House of Leaves.

It's more of a fun exercise to discover and appreciate the insanity of how he ties things together throughout than a story you read for the narrative. I think it's drat impressive writing and a beautiful book physically. It's best to approach it as a puzzly poem to figure out. It reminds me of Gravity's Rainbow in some ways, but in a different approach.

House of Leaves broke my brain for a little while when I first read it and I've avoided dudes other works but I kind of feel like driving back in.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

House of Leaves broke my brain for a little while when I first read it and I've avoided dudes other works but I kind of feel like driving back in.

What was it that broke your brain? I'd like to eventually go back and read the whole thing, I just sampled the beginning. It was pretty interesting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

colas posted:

What was it that broke your brain? I'd like to eventually go back and read the whole thing, I just sampled the beginning. It was pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZfTLFREap8

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I've been listening like crazy recently to Poe's second album. I'm liking it as a whole, but my favorite tracks are Haunted, Wild, Hey Pretty, and Control.

I'm thinking about buying Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters Remix. I enjoyed the novel in its original release, but I'm fascinated by the idea of reading it like a magazine. I've enjoyed all of his books so far. I've also enjoyed Bret Easton Ellis. I'm wondering if there are any other authors that write similar stuff.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Getting tired of getting memory and cache issues with my desktop when editing photos so I decided to upgrade my ancient tiny SSD for a much better and faster one.

Also bought six 4GB sticks of memory to max out the RAM capacity on my motherboard. Suck on this Photoshop.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rockcity posted:

Suck on this Photoshop.

Oh, it will.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, it will.

Oh, I'm well aware, but with 24GB and a faster 500GB SSD will give it a lot more to work with than the really old 74GB SSD and 6GB or RAM. I never had a ton of issues with it until I jumped to a Canon 6D a while back and the 20MP raw images really put it to work.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

New shoes. It's gonna take me a lot longer to break these in, my new job says I have to wear athletic shoes, but that just means these are gonna last me a lot longer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a tea cup from the Salvation Army flea market around the corner:

I also went to the local pub and the karaoke hostess repaired my jacket with her 1910-1920 Singer and then I won 201€ from the slots. All in all a nice day and a new* tea cup.

*) In that I haven't seen this pattern (Aslak) before.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

The Johnny Truant storyline hit a little close to home in a lot of areas in regards to where my life was at the time I picked the book up. I also got extremely weirded out by the idea of a place with shifting dimensions, I was working as a theatrical carpender at the time and every once in a while you would end up trying to build some dumb thing and could never ever get all your measurements to match up. In general, the tricks he does with typesetting layout, and the constant flipping back-and-forth to read footnotes worked extremely well on me and just totally creeped me out for quite a long time.

I also read the book during a period fairly heavy psychedelic use. I would often come home from a party or whatever and read for an hour or so while I came down, which certainly didn't help matters any.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't understand how The Sweethome's pick for best sheets can be 280 thread count. I was at Sam's Club and compared their 450 and 650 side by side and it's a huge difference. I don't care how good your 280 is, there's no way it can compare to a 650 in softness: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't understand how The Sweethome's pick for best sheets can be 280 thread count. I was at Sam's Club and compared their 450 and 650 side by side and it's a huge difference. I don't care how good your 280 is, there's no way it can compare to a 650 in softness: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/

How do you feel about a cameras megapixel measurement?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

How do you feel about a cameras megapixel measurement?
A 4mp is hard pressed to beat a 10mp unless the 4mp has a significantly large pixel size.

With respect to sheets, you would have to assume the 650 has an inflated thread count and is shoddily made, which we can ignore the same way we can ignore a 10mp digicam from Vivitar or Colby or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

A 4mp is hard pressed to beat a 10mp unless the 4mp has a significantly large pixel size.

With respect to sheets, you would have to assume the 650 has an inflated thread count and is shoddily made, which we can ignore the same way we can ignore a 10mp digicam from Vivitar or Colby or something.

I gave up on cotton and went with linen because I was so sick of the bullshit (and to try something different). I think the issue is thread count doesn't necessarily mean softness. That being said I think sweethomes crap to get you to click affiliate links. Well maybe not crap but certainly not the end all and be all.