Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd only buy Animal Crossing Amiibos if they were buy 1 get 4. I can't imagine they'd ever go to that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd only buy Animal Crossing Amiibos if they were buy 1 get 4. I can't imagine they'd ever go to that price.

you can already get some Animal Crossing amiibo for 99 cents.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

you can already get some Animal Crossing amiibo for 99 cents.

the plural is Amiibos

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
::eye twitches::

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm pretty sure the Animal Crossing ones were buy 1 get 3 free at Toys R Us at some point earlier this year.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm pretty sure the Animal Crossing ones were buy 1 get 3 free at Toys R Us at some point earlier this year.

They are that deal RIGHT now at Toys R Us. A person came in yesterday buying every character. And their permanent price is only 8.99 so it two bucks per character.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
If the SNES Classic can be hacked to play Awful Fantasy I would buy 10
still gonna buy it regardless

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KingShibby posted:

If the SNES Classic can be hacked to play Awful Fantasy I would buy 10
still gonna buy it regardless

lol

Look at this guy thinking he's going to have the option to buy it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Preordered two at two different stores so that I can cancel whichever ships last

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 30, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Preordered two so that I can cancel whichever ships last

GreatGreen posted:

lol

Look at this guy thinking he's going to cancel.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

It seems like if Nintendo actually gave a drat about its customers and still wanted to maintain an iota of exclusivity, all they would really have to do is just accept as many preorders people are willing to pay for in full, then make exactly enough to fulfill the preorders plus an additional chunk for planned RMAs or defective units and bam. Everybody is happy provided you put enough advertisements out there to let people know you're planning to sell them this way. Limiting preorders is entirely unnecessary. Nintendo has every opportunity to gauge exactly how much demand this SKU will have before they even begin production.

But that's not what Nintendo is doing, they are creating a product and limiting its output because they think the panic to get one will be directly profitable for them in one way or another.

Though I do think that the demand for an NES classic was so strong that they really did grossly underestimate it and it cost them money in the end.

This would be logistically insane, which is why no one does it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tender Bender posted:

This would be logistically insane, which is why no one does it.

How so? Serious question, I'm legitimately asking.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Guy Goodbody posted:

the plural is Amiibos

Paging jivjov to the thread

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rirse posted:

They are that deal RIGHT now at Toys R Us. A person came in yesterday buying every character. And their permanent price is only 8.99 so it two bucks per character.

Oh nice. I bought them all at release at full price cause I'm dumb.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

GreatGreen posted:

Production chains are incredibly slow, and in reality very few people pre-order, much less pay in full up front. Nintendo knows it's leaving money on the table, but it's much more lucrative to produce a set number knowing you'll sell out than overproduce and be stuck with inventory that comes back or worse, never leaves the warehouse in the first place.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

Production chains are incredibly slow, and in reality very few people pre-order, much less pay in full up front. Nintendo knows it's leaving money on the table, but it's much more lucrative to produce a set number knowing you'll sell out than overproduce and be stuck with inventory that comes back or worse, never leaves the warehouse in the first place.

Nintendo has to know that there's a middle ground between producing 5000 units and producing a billion, and that the WiiU sold badly because it was poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nintendo has to know that there's a middle ground between producing 5000 units and producing a billion, and that the WiiU sold badly because it was poo poo.

They made over 2 million NES classics, that's not a tiny production run.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wow, that was about a million and a half more than I thought

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Wow, that was about a million and a half more than I thought

Yeah.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/28/nes-classic-edition-shipped-23-million-units-worldwide-before-its-cancellation

They definitely underestimated last time, my guess would be the cost/time to spin up more production wasn't worth it for them, especially since they had the SNES classic in the pipeline.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crackbone posted:

Yeah.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/28/nes-classic-edition-shipped-23-million-units-worldwide-before-its-cancellation

They definitely underestimated last time, my guess would be the cost/time to spin up more production wasn't worth it for them, especially since they had the SNES classic in the pipeline.

I honestly think the margin/profit on the NES and SNES Classics must be borderline zero. Licensing is likely the biggest fee, and since there is no DLC it's a one time sale. There has to be a secondary reason why they released the items - there's no way they are high profit, because if there were then they would make as many as they could - contrary to popular belief, I'm sure they don't hate money.

The question is why? They are getting a ton of media attention for these systems, so maybe their goal was to draw attention toward the Switch as people saw related stories? A non-gamer who used to love Zelda tries to get a NES Classic and can't, but sees a story on BotW and decides "Oh poo poo that looks great, maybe I'll grab that instead!"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am probably the only one who is excited to get one so I can see what the tiny poster they include is, right? I love the old NES "Now You're Playing With Power" ad they included with the NES Classic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone gonna make a killing on animal crossing amiibo when AC: Switch comes out.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am probably the only one who is excited to get one so I can see what the tiny poster they include is, right? I love the old NES "Now You're Playing With Power" ad they included with the NES Classic.

Detailed suicide instructions

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

the WiiU sold badly because it was poo poo

It has better hardware than the Wii, a better gimmick (but also the Wii's gimmick), plays Wii games, and has good exclusives like Super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 2

Whether it's poo poo depends on how you evaluate a platform but there's no standard by which it's poo poo and the Wii isn't

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Detailed suicide instructions

I like retro ads.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wizard on a water slide posted:

Whether it's poo poo depends on how you evaluate a platform but there's no standard by which it's poo poo and the Wii isn't

Good point.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

You're making every aspect from setting a budget to working out deals with manufacturers to going into production to distribution, more complicated and subject to change by making it all dependent on pre-order totals and specific numbers from specific retailers. And collecting those is a nightmare in itself unless you're only selling through like, the nintendo, best buy, Amazon, and Walmart websites, which will miss a large chunk of potential buyers. And you're relying on your distributors to accurately collect and report pre-orders through their various methods. It's doable, but takes a lot more effort, and who's gonna be doing that, and what would they be doing instead? Then consider you're either going to have to rush manufacturing way more than is ideal, or take pre-orders way earlier than is ideal, in which case you're going to get inaccurate numbers. And you're going to have to have a hard cap anyway, because what if the pre-order numbers are higher than what you're able to work out with manufacturers? Then people get their pre-orders canceled and you run into an entirely different pr shitstorm.

And if you don't do it perfectly you're gonna undersell or oversell which defeats the whole point!

It's just like... A big headache for little gain. You're still gonna piss off everyone who didn't know to pre-order like nine months ahead of time.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I hope they put in blast processing this time

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Over the course of 2016, for various reasons, I picked up a PS3, Xbox 360, and a Wii U

My PS3 I snagged merely to scratch my God of War itch.

My Xbox 360 got a little bit of play for South Park and Halo 3/4.

My Wii U, however, is at 13 games and counting, and is the only console of the three I actively seek out on a daily basis.

Sure, I'm just playing catch-up after the system was released however long ago. But having a solid 15-20 titles that are complete bangers (along with full Wii backwards compatibility) means I'm going to ride this thing till the disc drive and/or the 500GB hard drive I attached crumbles to dust.

In conclusion, I can happily bide my time until whenever I can get my hands on the SNES Classic. Feed me more Nintendo asap

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It has better hardware than the Wii, a better gimmick (but also the Wii's gimmick), plays Wii games, and has good exclusives like Super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 2

The Wii U is one of my favorite consoles ever although the Switch will probably overtake it just due to it getting all the good Wii U games too. It still has more good exclusives than PS4 and Xbone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

price?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Medullah posted:

The question is why? They are getting a ton of media attention for these systems, so maybe their goal was to draw attention toward the Switch as people saw related stories? A non-gamer who used to love Zelda tries to get a NES Classic and can't, but sees a story on BotW and decides "Oh poo poo that looks great, maybe I'll grab that instead!"

I don't necessarily think a non-gamer who was thinking about maybe getting an $80 nostalgia thing is going to suddenly grab a $500 new console when they see it is out of stock but I guess it does raise Nintendo's profile in general and get people talking about the old games

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
If anything, I expect stone age gamer to experience an influx of orders of the sd2snes once the snes mini stock dries up. Sure, its quite a bit more expensive, doesn't come with hardware or games, but it definitely scratches the same itch with I assume better emulation accuracy.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Superstar, Starfox, and Starfox 2 sadly won't work on a SD2SNES.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Acolyte! posted:

Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Superstar, Starfox, and Starfox 2 sadly won't work on a SD2SNES.

Ah, thats a bummer. Having only played Starfox, it wouldn't bother me as much but I guess thats a deal breaker for some.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Holy poo poo guys Chrono Trigger is loving awesome! I have no nostalgia for it since I never played it before, and it's remarkable how well it holds up. Only an hour in, and it's a blast.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Severed posted:

Ah, thats a bummer. Having only played Starfox, it wouldn't bother me as much but I guess thats a deal breaker for some.

Well it is 3 of the very best games for the system

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

Paging jivjov to the thread

Hi! The plural of amiibo is amiibo! Have a nice day!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Holy poo poo guys Chrono Trigger is loving awesome! I have no nostalgia for it since I never played it before, and it's remarkable how well it holds up. Only an hour in, and it's a blast.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. There's a lot of little secrets and flavor so take your time.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Even if you don't usually like turn-based RPGs, it's a great game