Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

It occurs to me that more thought went into this gif than the entire network code for Star Citizen over the past five years.

And I'm strangely ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

I'd like advance warning on my hate boner, that's all

Like pgaz rage, it's uncontrollable you see

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Mind you I don't have $8k in ships, eh moma?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spatial posted:

Hahaha, I forgot about this piece of insanity

I remember someone who left CIG mentioned on their Linkedin that they had worked on a fluid dynamics simulation presumably for this minigame. That was about two years ago.
I'm 80% sure the fluid dynamics were actually related to some old gif of a citizen being washed away and drowned in a shower cubicle.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wrecked Angle posted:

Dear Backers,

It is with a heavy heart I

am posting this from an extradition free country.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

I'll allow it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Schedule up. -diff-

quote:

Eckhart has been implemented in Subsumption, now just need to polish and iron out the kinks. The team will now start setting up Ruto with the goal that both Mission Givers will be fully setup by the end of the next sprint.
ETA is 14th July (was 30th June)
300+ person company managed to get an one NPC working. At least if you trust their word.

quote:

The conversion to the Item 2.0 ships and how they work has introduced unforeseen issues with their physics. This will require a combination of Tech Design and Physics code to address the situation. This is proving to be a more in-depth problem than initially anticipated and the code team was pulled to help support elevators and general physics crashes which we necessary for internal review.
ETA is 12th July (was 27th June)
Unforeseen problems? Just do it! :thurman:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Yup! New schedule is up. Totally called it. Extended delays. We're now middle of August "release" window. Which means "Road To GamesCom 2017"

Sources were right when I reported they were going to try and push this out in time of GamesCom (Aug 22), one of their biggest fundraising drives.

Notice how ships (the primary money driver) tend to be on schedule. Gee, I wonder why that is happening.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

DIFF: https://www.diffchecker.com/dx95qRIX

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Yup! New schedule is up. Totally called it. Extended delays. We're now middle of August "release" window. Which means "Road To GamesCom 2017"

Sources were right when I reported they were going to try and push this out in time of GamesCom (Aug 22), one of their biggest fundraising drives.

Notice how ships (the primary money driver) tend to be on schedule. Gee, I wonder why that is happening.

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Still looking good for the december 19th release of 3.0, never said which year

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Derek nobody's impressed that you 'called it', seriously stop writing that, it's silly

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Derek nobody's impressed that you 'called it', seriously stop writing that, it's silly

I'm impressed :saddowns:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yep, See! It ticked over to 11.40pm, totally called it!

More delays, turns out making games is hard yo. If only we'd started work on this 5 years ago when we said we would...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Two Weeks" delayed on mission givers which puts them right in the middle of the avocado start dates. Realistically, this should push the avocado 2 weeks to the right, but of course they dont display it in their graphs. My boss wouldn't tolerate a delay like that, and if he did, he sure as hell would chew my rear end if I showed him a timeline that didn't reflect that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Called it, Star Citizen is late :smug:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Happy Hour Updates: (stolen from relay, did not watch)

They have all the rest of the ships for this year planned out as well as the website revamp and getting that prepared.

Clifford_aka_Miku sent a fruitbasket to the LA studio, Thanks Clifford!

[Update on Referral awards?] They're adding a couple more tiers between 1-10 and those rewards have been selected and it has been sent to Turbulent to make it happen.

[Will we see different body sizes?] Not qualified to answer that.

[Are you planning on changing the flight model for 3.0] The flight model will continue to change throughout development. Also Ben promised that there will never ever be pandas in game.

[Is Oxygen a resource we can actually hold in our inventory space?] There's a concept of it of course where your blood is affected by the oxygen so certain environments will boost or hinder your character. As far as it being inventory, they don't know yet.

[CIG video content has much improved since the earlier days and what's the process like now compared to then?] They have an entire video department now with every studio having a small video department of their own with a head department keeping it synchronized. They couldn't have done any of this without the monthly contributions of subscribers.

[Will Evocati be allowed to stream 3.0 when they get it?] Evocati IS the NDA so Evocati can't stream, video, screenshots etc. For folks who wonder why the Evocati is rewarded with early builds is it's not a reward as it's very hard work. There's a lot of dedicated tests that can be very repetitive and also they have to deal with buggy, unstable builds. Plus they do this all for free. QA also isn't simply playing the game before everyone else, you literally beat your head against the same wall over and over again until you almost don't even want to play the game when it releases.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Completed

quote:

INHABITED DERELICT SHIP SITES

PICK UP & CARRY

INSURANCE (Code Complete. Now supporting bugfixing)

CARGO (Code Complete. Now supporting bugfixing.)

KIOSK SUPPORT (Code Complete. Now supporting bugfixing.)

ENGINE TRAILS & CONTRAILS

ASTEROID PHYSICS (* Feature Complete)

SOLAR SYSTEM MISSION SERVICE V1 “MISSION BROKER”

Delayed

quote:

MISSION GIVERS
Eckhart has been implemented in Subsumption, now just need to polish and iron out the kinks. The team will now start setting up Ruto with the goal that both Mission Givers will be fully setup by the end of the next sprint.
ETA is 14th July (was 30th June)

DELAMAR / LEVSKI
Due to the time required for the correct implementation of the elevators and their local physics grids this date has moved back slightly
ETA is 7th July (was 30th June)

ITEM 2.0 SHIP CONVERSION – PART 2
Due to issues with the last remaining ships we want to make sure all are fixed before implementation.
ETA is 3rd July (was 30th June)

DOORS AND AIRLOCKS
During an internal milestone review that we had this week, we identified further elements of work and polish that we will aim to have completed for next week’s milestone review.
ETA is 5th July (was 30th June)

ROVER AND DRAGONFLY IN SHIPS
The conversion to the Item 2.0 ships and how they work has introduced unforeseen issues with their physics. This will require a combination of Tech Design and Physics code to address the situation. This is proving to be a more in-depth problem than initially anticipated and the code team was pulled to help support elevators and general physics crashes which we necessary for internal review.

HINT SYSTEM
A few of the required engineering tasks were slightly delayed in their completion this week due to bugfixing being required on other systems.

ENTITY UPDATE COMPONENT SCHEDULER
Good progress has been made on this feature for 3.0.0, however an issue was discovered that severely affected ships. The LA Engineering team is currently busy supporting the item 2.0 ship conversion and the UI team with the implementation of their features, their support is required for this particular bug so we had to wait until they were available, resulting in a delay.
ETA is 7th July (was 30th June)

ENTITY OWNER MANAGER
Work on this feature was paused in order to support various bugs and feature polish for this week’s milestone review.
ETA is 7th June (was 28th June)

ITEM 2.0 MULTI FUNCTION DISPLAYS
Completion of this task was delayed due to support teams being focused on internal milestone demo review.
ETA is 7th July (was 29th June)

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
Delayed due to team’s focus on priority tasks for internal milestone review.
ETA is 25th July (was 17 July)

PERSONAL MANAGER APP
Work on this task has been postponed so team can focus on resolving other systems.
ETA is 3rd July (was 27th June)

CARGO MANIFEST APP
ETA is 7th July (was 3rd July)

VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP
Delayed due to team’s focus on priority tasks for internal milestone review, specifically the Hint System.
ETA is 27th July (was 13th July)

SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM
Delayed due to team’s focus polishing the mission manager.
ETA is 19th July (was 5th July)

INVENTORY SYSTEM
ETA is 7th July (was 3rd July)

STARMAP APP
UI will break down feedback from internal milestone review and begin to address issues that came up.
ETA is 7th July (was 29th June)

COMMS SYSTEM UI
ETA is 18th July (was 10th July)

MISSION SYSTEM
Some bugs are blocking completion of the mission system which the AI team requires support from the LA Engineering department to resolve. However, LA Engineering are currently closing out their remaining tasks for milestone reviews before they are able to provide support for this.
ETA is 19th July (was 30th June)

RENDER TO TEXTURE
Various other requirements for this system have been discovered in the course of development that were not originally apparent, but are required for building a robust and scalable system for the future.
New ETA is currently being scoped out based on our internal review findings

PHYSICS SERIALIZATION
All work for this feature is currently undergoing a thorough code review between some of the Lead Engineers due to the complexity of the work. So far the review is going well, but is probably not going to be complete until early next week.
ETA is 3rd July (was 30th June)

8 items "completed"
20 delayed

Of the 8 completed items, 3 of them made a note that they still need bugfixing, so goes knows what shape they are really in. As if anything in this game doesn't, but as we all know Roberts only releases things when they are completely polished and perfect.

Asteroid Physics has a asterisks next to it for whatever reason

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 30, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

Completed

Delayed

You can really feel those new pipelines kicking in yo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Virtual Captain posted:

Schedule up. -diff-

300+ person company managed to get an one NPC working. At least if you trust their word.

Unforeseen problems? Just do it! :thurman:

Why do mission givers need goal-oriented strategy-picking AI to begin with?

Also, why do their physics need to be serialised?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 30, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

Why do mission givers need goal-oriented strategy-picking AI to begin with?

Duh it's subsumption

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Good Dumplings posted:

I'm impressed :saddowns:

me too, derek margin calling star citizen on development.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
loving doors man, causing all the problems, getting delayed again.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

MilesK posted:

...For folks who wonder why the Evocati is rewarded with early builds is it's not a reward as it's very hard work. There's a lot of dedicated tests that can be very repetitive and also they have to deal with buggy, unstable builds. Plus they do this all for free. QA also isn't simply playing the game before everyone else, you literally beat your head against the same wall over and over again until you almost don't even want to play the game when it releases.

As opposed to all the other backers who have to deal with buggy, unstable builds and pay $4000 dollars for the privilege.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

MilesK posted:

Happy Hour Updates: (stolen from relay, did not watch)

They have all the rest of the ships for this year planned out as well as the website revamp and getting that prepared.

Clifford_aka_Miku sent a fruitbasket to the LA studio, Thanks Clifford!

[Update on Referral awards?] They're adding a couple more tiers between 1-10 and those rewards have been selected and it has been sent to Turbulent to make it happen.

[Will we see different body sizes?] Not qualified to answer that.

[Are you planning on changing the flight model for 3.0] The flight model will continue to change throughout development. Also Ben promised that there will never ever be pandas in game.

[Is Oxygen a resource we can actually hold in our inventory space?] There's a concept of it of course where your blood is affected by the oxygen so certain environments will boost or hinder your character. As far as it being inventory, they don't know yet.

[CIG video content has much improved since the earlier days and what's the process like now compared to then?] They have an entire video department now with every studio having a small video department of their own with a head department keeping it synchronized. They couldn't have done any of this without the monthly contributions of subscribers.

[Will Evocati be allowed to stream 3.0 when they get it?] Evocati IS the NDA so Evocati can't stream, video, screenshots etc. For folks who wonder why the Evocati is rewarded with early builds is it's not a reward as it's very hard work. There's a lot of dedicated tests that can be very repetitive and also they have to deal with buggy, unstable builds. Plus they do this all for free. QA also isn't simply playing the game before everyone else, you literally beat your head against the same wall over and over again until you almost don't even want to play the game when it releases.

Where did Wulfe go?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thanks Nick.

Notice how NONE of the material elements of this patch are completed? And this was due out 7 MONTHS ago back when croberts said Dec 19th

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
I like the comment for the render to texture delay

quote:

Various other requirements for this system have been discovered in the course of development that were not originally apparent, but are required for building a robust and scalable system for the future. New ETA is currently being scoped out based on our internal review findings

3 Months into switching the engine to a deferrer rendering system they are still discovering the requirements. Bunch of professionals they got there

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 30, 2017

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Thanks Nick.

Notice how NONE of the material elements of this patch are completed? And this was due out 7 MONTHS ago back when croberts said Dec 19th

your welcome Senpai

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Looks like the internal milestone demo review is the core problem. Just look at how many line items it is mentioned.

This means that the whole team got tasked with fixing green pixels as a result of Chris' meeting being filmed for the Road to Gamescon doc.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Thanks Nick.

Well, I'm sure they're going to hit THIS deadline.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

-We're going to see Derek say "I called it" much earlier than "mid-summer."
-A July blog will, at the very least, have a paragraph (or a few updates) this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain ELE will begin happening very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

All good for Star Citizen, FUD spreaders

Chris only releases the highest standard stuff, the tech and staff have just not caught up with his vision yet

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Roberts is pioneering a new type of development "Dragonball C++"

It takes years to get anywhere but when it finally happens it's awesome

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Hobold posted:

loving doors man, causing all the problems, getting delayed again.
It never gets any less funny.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

I like the comment for the render to texture delay

3 Months into switching the engine to a deferrer rendering system they are still discovering the requirements. Bunch of professionals they got there

See LINE 288 of the Diff. Remember back when I reported that the internal milestone schedule wasn't the same as the public one?

Also, this cracks me up:

LAST WEEK:

quote:

Delayed due to unforeseen shortage in resources.
ETA is 17th July (was 21st June)

THIS WEEK

quote:

ETA is 25th July (was 17 July)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Called it, Star Citizen is late :smug:

No one could have predicted this, you must have some high level sources.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RENDER TO TEXTURE
Various other requirements for this system have been discovered in the course of development that were not originally apparent, but are required for building a robust and scalable system for the future.
New ETA is currently being scoped out based on our internal review findings

Guys I dont think a single moon taking up 13GB of ram is something they wanted or know how to deal with

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Massive scale? No problem.
Realistic physics? Easy for Chris.
Three entirely new languages? You better believe it.
Perfectly simulated economy? Effortless.
Procedural hand-crafted artisan world/city building? Child's play.
AI that will literally change the future? Simple.
Doors? Hold the gently caress up...

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

They're two separate businesses. Also, Chris receives a salary from each one because he works for both.

Do we have any idea what he makes a year, heard a couple people say he gets paid for 4+ positions.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nicholas posted:

Delayed

quote:

DOORS AND AIRLOCKS
During an internal milestone review that we had this week, we identified further elements of work and polish that we will aim to have completed for next week’s milestone review.
ETA is 5th July (was 30th June)

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard