Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I just knew somebody would see that lock and hack it without considering the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doesn't the lock say "pod door release" or something right above the keypad..?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Doesn't the person on the radio (I forget if it was November or the person in the pod) explicitly warn you not to accidentally space him?

GlyphGryph posted:

It's a damned good question, actually. We know they have another secret facility on the moon, and I originally thought it might be stopping there, but 12 minutes really isn't enough time to be doing that. We also know the volunteers never actually go back to Earth. And it's 12 minutes both ways, right?

Wait, what's this about a secret (location not visited ingame) moon base? I missed this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Developers are always bashed for putting too many warnings and repetitions on things, and "child-proofing"/closing off other routes or ways to allow the player to fail, but then this comes along and a bunch of people just launch dudes into space.

Sardonik posted:

I'd be surprised if most people don't accidentally space him the first time through. My first instinct was to quickly go to the container and look for interactable things, and, well, yeah.

ConfusedUs posted:

I just accidentally spaced a dude who was hiding in a cargo container. I thought I was activating the control panel, but nope. Spaced him. I feel bad.
Literally his first message contains the phrase "I don't have a space suit". The door says something like "pod door release". If you get close to the pod, he sends another message saying "don't open the door I'll die". If you spaced him, I have no sympathy. :colbert:

Tell the truth: that was no accident. You just wanted to see what it felt like to take a man's life. Who's the real monster on this station?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

If you get close to the pod, he sends another message saying "don't open the door I'll die". If you spaced him, I have no sympathy. :colbert:

When I reloaded to see what would happen if I manually unlocked it, the plea only came (right) after the hack. I guess I was very quick.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I spaced him intentionally just to see how the game handled it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I spaced him on accident because another voice log was playing (a transmission from January, I think) the entire time I was hacking the pod, and his voice started playing right as I opened the door. He died mid-sentence, then I looted his body and found a recording of him saying exactly what he was saying as I spaced him. So I quick loaded.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Vib Rib posted:

Developers are always bashed for putting too many warnings and repetitions on things, and "child-proofing"/closing off other routes or ways to allow the player to fail, but then this comes along and a bunch of people just launch dudes into space.

Literally his first message contains the phrase "I don't have a space suit". The door says something like "pod door release". If you get close to the pod, he sends another message saying "don't open the door I'll die". If you spaced him, I have no sympathy. :colbert:

Tell the truth: that was no accident. You just wanted to see what it felt like to take a man's life. Who's the real monster on this station?

I was hoping to get extra dialogue for hacking the door without opening it, probably a panicked "woah there Director, please don't hit that button!"

I somehow didn't expect the door to auto-open after the hack.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

double nine posted:

Wait, what's this about a secret (location not visited ingame) moon base? I missed this.

Its like a core component of the final act twist. Hard to miss. Weird.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I spaced Igwe the first time through, because his container had a keypad on it. If he didn't want to get spaced, he shouldn't have been inside a container with a keypad on it. Simple as that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A slightly awkward roundtable on immersive sim like games. Hosted by a mediocre interviewer (and the ubisoft guy felt a bit out of place). Pity Raphael Colantonio couldn't make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyw0Pm7ulqc

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you think Bioshock Infinite is a better game than Prey you've got a crippling case of the B.Ds. Prey allowed you to solve problems how you thought they would be solved, plus the narrative is way loving better. As a tour Bioshock Infinite is better, with big setpieces and such, but as a game Prey just shits all over it, as it is a game and not an $80 movie.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Does Igwe actually move around when you space him or is he instantly a frozen corpse?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BobKnob posted:

Does Igwe actually move around when you space him or is he instantly a frozen corpse?

Corpsicle :(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GlyphGryph posted:

Its like a core component of the final act twist. Hard to miss. Weird.

also if you look at the moon you can see a bunch of lights at certain sections of it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Just picked this up from the sale, had a few questions that I didn't see mentioned in the OP. Is Hard the actual "normal" difficulty (in the sense that you will be challenged to use all your abilities and junk), or is it obnoxious bullshit? Any relevant mods to improve the experience or should I go in clean?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

First off, I'm p. bad at games so take this with a grain of salt. I played on normal. I found Prey had a pretty standard "RPG" style difficulty where the endgame was waaaaayy easier than the beginning because by then you have resources and skills and such. Still, the curve broke way, way later than it does in most other RPG type games. That is, on normal, for the vast majority of the game I felt like I needed to be tense and watchful or I'd get killed. It was only maybe the last hour that I felt like an invincible demigod.

edit: also you will never be challenged to use all your abilities and will always be challenged to use the ones you want to. There are seriously so loving many ways to accomplish anything in this game - I can't imagine any difficulty making you need to use every possible tool in your tool-set.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fuligin posted:

Just picked this up from the sale, had a few questions that I didn't see mentioned in the OP. Is Hard the actual "normal" difficulty (in the sense that you will be challenged to use all your abilities and junk), or is it obnoxious bullshit? Any relevant mods to improve the experience or should I go in clean?

The difficulty curve is mostly dependent on which skills you choose, with two specific ones that essentially get rid of all the challenge even if you're playing on nightmare. Human-only or Typhon-only each have significant drawbacks that increase the difficulty, but those are basically self-imposed challenge runs that people do for story reasons. I would play on hard or nightmare the first time through just because everything is so easy at the end in a normal playthrough. You'll have trouble for the first few hours and have to use creative solutions to kill things, but after that you'll tear through everything without much issue.

The only mods I've seen are to add more difficulty which doesn't sound like what you're looking for. There was another one being worked on to restore some things that were cut from the game like an air meter out in space, but I don't know if anything ever came of that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

A slightly awkward roundtable on immersive sim like games. Hosted by a mediocre interviewer (and the ubisoft guy felt a bit out of place). Pity Raphael Colantonio couldn't make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyw0Pm7ulqc

seems pretty decent since they had Spector/Smith there. As far as immersive sims go, they pretty much wrote the book on them with their work in Deus Ex.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Remember you can switch difficulty whenever you want w/o penalty (no achievements either).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, start on the hardest difficult, dial it down if you you are having trouble, dial it back up if you start having difficulty.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the advice dudes. Hard sounds like the way to go. I decided to throw in all the plugins from this mod that disable enemy music cues and targeting, so hopefully I don't regret it!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I found most of those useful. I think you should leave them be before deciding. Certainly for your first playthrough.

Music cues less so, but the game's audio issues run deeper.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Also, there are tons of containers that don't really look like they have loot in them but do, so disabling your HUD might make you miss out on that.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Definitely keep the music cues on - it's more of a stylistic feature than diminishing the difficulty type thing.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Watching release day gameplay the audio cues seem obnoxious but after the first patch I really didn't mind them usually. Occasionally you'd get annoying string cues during "jump scares" like the body outside your apartment at the beginning.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Turning off some of the things that alert you to enemies might be nice, especially the big obvious bar above their heads when they see you- but a lot of the things that mod disables are things that make pretty good sense immersion-wise, especially since you're wearing a fuuuuutre spacesuit with a special head attachment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The sound mixing is totally hosed in this game. The biggest thing I notice early is that janitor lady in the hallway in the tutorial level- her voice is so loud it almost sounds like it's overdriving my speakers.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The sound mixing is totally hosed in this game. The biggest thing I notice early is that janitor lady in the hallway in the tutorial level- her voice is so loud it almost sounds like it's overdriving my speakers.

What system do you play on? Seemed fine on ps4, at least to me

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

goddamn, I'm replaying the game now and for the life of me I can't remember how I dealt with the electro phantoms.

Also is there any point to go beyond mimic level 1? I don't see the point of cosplaying as a turret when I've got more agility and firepower running around shotgunning everything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You can use typhon powers freely while mimicing and enemies wont attack you. As a turret you can shoot while doing so with unlimited ammo, and as an operator you can move about freely while blowing stuff up with your mind and not being attacked

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Can you also fly as an operator? I dont remember but it would make sense. I only used it for making GBS threads around

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you also fly as an operator? I dont remember but it would make sense. I only used it for making GBS threads around

You can.

Aiming the blackbox lasers was a pain.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My job consists of my sitting in a tiny office watching people try to escape death traps all day and Im using most of my day dream budget imagining (F) Morgan Yu and Adam Jensen having a giant Neo//Agent Smith fight across Prague and it is making me hungry for a video game that will never exist :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

My job consists of my sitting in a tiny office watching people try to escape death traps all day

Elaborate, if you can.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Doing my no human mods runthrough on hard. First thing I did when I got to the outside of the station was go find the double jump chipset. I was worried the corpse wouldn't be there until you got the quest but it was right there to the right coming out of the shuttle bay airlock, past the ring.

Now I'm unstoppable!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rinkles posted:

Elaborate, if you can.

Grenfell landlord?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rinkles posted:

Elaborate, if you can.

Sounds like it might be one of those escape room recreational things?

3Romeo posted:

Grenfell landlord?

:pusheen:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fuligin posted:

Granted, I have not beaten the game yet, but I think that hard is pretty well balanced some 20 hours in. The way that I approach situations has shifted dramatically from when I started playing as my level of mobility and flexibility has drastically increased, but if I'm not being fairly cautious single enemies can still kill me and I end up burning through tons of resources. It's also been nice that as my individual power has increased scarcity has begun becoming more and more of a problem as the amount of resources on the station are being depleted. While I can brute force my way through pretty much any situation it's now pretty important that I try to conserve items and resources as much as possible.

Overall I'd say that this is probably one of the most well done progression and difficulty curves that I've seen in a recent game - going back to older areas with tons of new abilities and seeing the environment in a totally different way is great.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Some of the dialogue is way too loud, but at the same time a huge amount of dialogue sounds like the compression got absolutely hosed up.

I also don't get why they didn't make a push to include positional audio in their game about navigating 3D zero G or highly vertical environments. Directional works fine for the majority of games, but it really falls flat here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

turn off the TV posted:

I also don't get why they didn't make a push to include positional audio in their game about navigating 3D zero G or highly vertical environments. Directional works fine for the majority of games, but it really falls flat here.

Wouldn't you not be able to hear directionally, or at all for that matter, in outer space?

Not that it wouldn't be cool, mind you, they could say your helmet has advanced software that simulates directional sound to enhance spatial awareness. Or a typhon mod!