Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Hey thread,

After years of not being able to play the latest and greatest, this is my first steam sale where I can actually play modern games. I've cleared out my backlog recently and i'm looking for some new things. I'm really into games that are easy to get into but have a high skill ceiling. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is exactly my poo poo. I'm also into metroidesque platformers with high skill as well: ori and the blind forest and dead cells are games I can't get enough of lately. I'm also into games with Arkham-style combat, my favorite being Sleeping Dogs. I'm also a big fan of the Deus Ex franchise. Got any recommendations for me?

Also, I found a post at the beginning of the thread that was something like "heres the best games of 2017 so far" and i found hollow knight on there and its extremely my jam. Are there any other "must have" lists from previous years? I could look at the top selling steam games but I'm not that interested in call of duty or grand theft auto. I also saw someone recommend rise of the tomb raider and since Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is one of my all time favorite games so I thought id check it out.

Other games currently on my wishlist that I haven't pulled the trigger on, any of them better than the others?
Bayonetta
Nier: Automata
Shovel Knight
Witcher 3
Firewatch
Prey
River City Ransom: Underground
Strider ($5 metroidvania, courtesy of Too Shy Guy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lechtansi posted:

Other games currently on my wishlist that I haven't pulled the trigger on, any of them better than the others?
Bayonetta
Shovel Knight
Witcher 3
Firewatch
Prey

Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, and Witcher 3 are going to be extremely good for you, and are easily amongst the best in their genres.

That said, do you have Mark of the Ninja?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shadow of Mordor, cheap and awesome

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

ArbitraryC posted:

little unclear if you mean you've played those games or are looking for recommendations but might & magic X - legacy is an amazingly good game that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone either experienced in first person dungeon crawls or willing to give the genre a try.

Yeah, I meant that I'd already played all those games and was looking for other games like those.

I agree though, M&MX Legacy was really fun, probably the best first person dungeon crawler experience I've had in years.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

Hey thread,

After years of not being able to play the latest and greatest, this is my first steam sale where I can actually play modern games. I've cleared out my backlog recently and i'm looking for some new things. I'm really into games that are easy to get into but have a high skill ceiling. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is exactly my poo poo. I'm also into metroidesque platformers with high skill as well: ori and the blind forest and dead cells are games I can't get enough of lately. I'm also into games with Arkham-style combat, my favorite being Sleeping Dogs. I'm also a big fan of the Deus Ex franchise. Got any recommendations for me?

Also, I found a post at the beginning of the thread that was something like "heres the best games of 2017 so far" and i found hollow knight on there and its extremely my jam. Are there any other "must have" lists from previous years? I could look at the top selling steam games but I'm not that interested in call of duty or grand theft auto. I also saw someone recommend rise of the tomb raider and since Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is one of my all time favorite games so I thought id check it out.

Bayonetta
Shovel Knight
Witcher 3
Firewatch
Prey

Bayonetta is god-tier and easily the best game on that list, Shovel Knight is probably the second best, put Vanquish on your list because it's also super great but maybe hold off because it isn't on summer sale. ICEY has a fun combat system with a high skill ceiling as well, even if it is pretty short and experimental.

Guacamelee is fantastic, get the super turbo championship edition since it has an extra area and an extra mechanic. If you enjoyed the platforming in Ori, you might enjoy the platforming in Rayman Legends/Origins, they're extremely good games. Valdis Story is a Metroidvania with extremely deep combat, but it gets fairly frustrating with areas that damage you as long as you're in them and enemies flinging you into lower areas when you gently caress up - get it if that wouldn't bother you too much.

The new DOOM is an incredible action game with both quick pick-up and a high skill ceiling.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that springs to mind.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Neurovoider y/n?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400450/NeuroVoider/

I keep looking for a twinstick shooter I'll love, I still haven't found it :mad:

Deathstate is my favorite so far.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Are there any games on BundleStars' Mega Pick & Mix Bundle 4 besides Fate that are worth getting?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 1, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

victrix posted:

Neurovoider y/n?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400450/NeuroVoider/

I keep looking for a twinstick shooter I'll love, I still haven't found it :mad:

Deathstate is my favorite so far.

Neurovoider is good but it doesn't feel very punchy, if you feel me. Might be better in co-op, haven't tried it. Have you tried Nuclear Throne and Gungeon?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Palpek posted:

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter - worth getting? How does it compare to Crimes and Punishments?

Not as good, the first half is stuffed with relatively janky puzzles and minigames. But the back half of the game was genuinely good, with maybe my favorite case between both games.

If you liked crimes and punishments, get it on sale and just skip puzzles you don't like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you don't have any money for this sale, might I recommend Khimera? http://store.steampowered.com/app/467380/Khimera_Destroy_All_Monster_Girls/

it's a freeware Megaman/Shovel Knight-inspired game that is really fun where you punch the poo poo out of everything. it has an insane amount of effort for a free game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Are there any games on BundleStars' Mega Pick & Mix Bundle 4 besides Fate that are worth getting?

Not really, but I kind of liked Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages. Pretty decent little game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Neurovoider is good but it doesn't feel very punchy, if you feel me. Might be better in co-op, haven't tried it. Have you tried Nuclear Throne and Gungeon?

Yeah I've played (most) of the more obvious genre staples, none of them really stuck for me.

I'll find one I love one of these days :pray:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

-Blackadder- posted:

I love Ring Runner so much I've put 80 hours into it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm always looking for new games on these sales but the post above reminded me that this is an AMAZING opportunity to pick up titles "that every gamer should own."

Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time is one of the best games ever made and you should own it.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but you do know Risk of Rain is meant to be played over and over again, right? Your review sounds like it's meant to be a single play through game. Like, I don't think you can get most of the characters in your 4 playthroughs.

Yes, I understand that. I guess I should have said: while I recognize that the goal of the game is replayability, it fails to achieve that, in our opinion. This may not be a problem for tougher roguelites, but for RoR it lead to a pretty quick "end of the game."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hopper posted:

I just finished Life is Strange. 14 hours for one playthrough. Buy this game if you haven't got it and like adventure games. Storywise this is definitely among the best games I have played, even if the graphics could be better sometimes.
Don't read on if you haven't played it: drat the story takes a turn for the dark and sad though, I actually felt "bummed out" and had to take a break after that chapter. And the final choice was actually really difficult, not just a pick a or b, I actually thought about it. One story aspect I think they messed up is how Chloe can suddenly remember Max time travels when Max can't, or did I misunderstand that part? That seemed like a hole in the story because normally the only person who remembers is Max. Overall a great game though.

Hella! It's getting a prequel at the end of August.

The same studio also did Remember Me, a sci-fi brawler set in Paris in 2084, where memories can be technologically edited. I have mixed feelings about it. I want to say "it had a lot of potential" but that suggests that what's there is bad, which isn't true. It's just that for me the main attraction is memory remixing, which is awesome, but you only get to do that like six times and the rest is brawling. And the fights are good--visually interesting and very strong kinetically--but I would rather they have taken out the brawling entirely even if it meant only one more remix, or even if it meant the same amount of content but more focus on the writing so they could fully explore the ramifications. (But I understand they had a hard time getting a publisher on board, so without that hook the game probably wouldn't have ever come out.)

Anyway, it's on sale for $6, so if you like both punching and high concept sci-fi, give it a go. Or if you like one or the other, check out some reviews and see if it grabs you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The same studio also did Remember Me, a sci-fi brawler set in Paris in 2084, where memories can be technologically edited. I have mixed feelings about it. I want to say "it had a lot of potential" but that suggests that what's there is bad, which isn't true.

Remember Me was a p big disappointment. I was hyped af before it came out and well ehhh... I would definitely say it had a lot of potential, but really the fighting was terrible (remember Batman games had also come out a little prior as well) and the actual world/exploring/combat was just so mediocre to bad. The remixing was a cool thing and I dug the techno-future atmosphere. I would have liked it to be the amazing game it could have been but I understand monetary reasons that never happened nor will it.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Rampage Knights or Lost Castle?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I have not played Rampage Knight but it looks better. Lost Castle felt like a lovely mobile-flash game with extremely stiff/unresponsive, janky and unsatisfying combat and movement. I really wanted to like it and seems like itd be right up my alley but I could not get over how much it just felt like a mobile game port.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 1, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any real good hard rear end games on the summer sale? I love stuff like Xcom/Dark Souls/Dmc4, also platformers like VVVVVVV, super meat boy or other rogue likes like rogue galaxy/binding of isaac. Whatever the genre or if the game has good hard difficulty. If its its on sale please recommend me.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

Rampage Knights or Lost Castle?

I remember playing Rampage Knights when it first came out, and in co-op it was horrible. It was balls-hard, and my co-op buddy and I kept dying by falling off the map. It might have been early access back then, and gotten better, but I only remember it being zero fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

Any real good hard rear end games on the summer sale? I love stuff like Xcom/Dark Souls/Dmc4, also platformers like VVVVVVV, super meat boy or other rogue likes like rogue galaxy/binding of isaac. Whatever the genre or if the game has good hard difficulty. If its its on sale please recommend me.

Risk of Rain

Slime-San

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Ulio posted:

RunGunJumpGun is a hard-rear end game with great-rear end music and controls and a really fun setting and dialogue and it's a dollar and a half.

You're casting a pretty wide net, but have you tried Bayonetta? Revengeance? Spelunky? Nuclear Throne?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
More goon opinions needed...

Beat Hazard
AudioSurf
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
Savant - Ascent
Plague Inc: Evolved
Among the Sleep
Dex
Axiom Verge
Year Walk
LastFight
Distance
Redoubt EE

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 1, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ulio posted:

Meat boy guy is releasing a new platformer in like, 2 weeks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ulio posted:

Nex machina and Furi. Maybe the surge but it's only 25% off.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Risk of Rain

Slime-San

Those look great. I love the retro artstyle. Gonna pick up Risk of Rain for sure as its only 2 bucks. Putting Slime-San on my wishlist for now.

Trick Question posted:

RunGunJumpGun is a hard-rear end game with great-rear end music and controls and a really fun setting and dialogue and it's a dollar and a half.

You're casting a pretty wide net, but have you tried Bayonetta? Revengeance? Spelunky? Nuclear Throne?

Never heard of RunGunJumpGun but looks fun I'll put in my list.

Ya I have played both Bayonetta and Revengeance on console but I never got to finishing them. I bought Revengeance though on Steam but haven't gotten to it. I love that beat em up genre so I know I will love it. Is Nier Automata like Bayonetta/DMC in terms of combat? I know Nier 1 was just more straight up RPG combat.

Spelunky is also a great call and probably one of the first roguelikes I played. Didn't like the controls as some other platformers/roguelikes but still great tough game.

Have never played Nuclear Throne was always kinda interested by it. I remember it was in early access or something for a while never got around to it.

nachos posted:

Nex machina and Furi. Maybe the surge but it's only 25% off.

Nex Machina looks fun, I'll check that out. I got Furi in the sale earlier haven't played it yet though. The Surge looks interesting but ya I'll probably wait for a bigger sale.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Meat boy guy is releasing a new platformer in like, 2 weeks.

I am definitely interested in that. It looks like its called the End is nigh. I ll keep an eye out for that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh definitely play furi. It will kick your rear end. Nier Automata is a good game but...the combat is pretty lackluster at least by platinum standards. It's adequate for it's needs but there's not much depth there.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my back pages posted:

Yes, I understand that. I guess I should have said: while I recognize that the goal of the game is replayability, it fails to achieve that, in our opinion. This may not be a problem for tougher roguelites, but for RoR it lead to a pretty quick "end of the game."

No worries, and that is a valid critique! Sucks that y'all didn't find something to click this go round.

My only co-op thoughts would be Clandestine. I'm eyeing it to play with my girl, because she's not much for shooters or action games. Also, I think an asymetrical co-op game might be fun. I don't know what the consensus is on this, and it lacks the "super-high replayability" of the games you listed like Terraria and Don't Starve.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lazy recommendations:

Dungeonmans: One of my favorite roguelikes. Plays fast and smooth. Persistent academy (or not, as you see fit) to retain progress through deaths. Huge world, tons of dungeon types, varied and powerful skillsets you can combine any way you see fit. And amazing, amazing music.

Deathstate: A single stick (?!) shooter. Awesome music. Funky aesthetic. Very, very weird and cool.

Grim Dawn: Diablo-esque monster basher. Spiritual successor to Titan Quest. Heavy developer attention, many patches, and an expansion on the way. Healthy (and seemingly growing) community. (Also throwing in a tentative recommendation for Titan Quest if you love greek mythology - the game is a little dated these days, but still looks remarkably beautiful and is a joy to explore).

Age of Wonders III: Just great. Turn based strategy game with remarkably non-lovely combat AI. Incredibly varied race/class combinations with dozens (hundreds?) of units. Superb music (noticing a theme in games I like here?).

Warlock 2: Ultra janky turn based strategy. Why recommend? Because it's fun. Also has a stupidly good fan patch that is basically Warlock 2.5, fixes a shitload of stuff, adds a shitload more stuff, makes the AI more challenging. Treat this as a hex based wargame, not a Civ empire builder and you can have a real good time building up monstrous super enchanted super geared heroes and armies and fighting your way across the planes of existence.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger: Gets recommended by goons a lot. For good reason. Superb old west FPS with great gimmicks.

The Curious Expedition: FTL, but in 19th century britain. With cthulu and angry tribesmen. Ok not really FTL. Hard to describe. Go look it up, it's funky and fast to play.

Doom: I'm listing a big AAA game here because it's real loving good. If you enjoy shooting demons in the face and generally feeling like a badass, get it. And (wait for it), has a kickass soundtrack.

Dungeon of the Endless: Funky hybrid of tower defense and roguelike exploration. Fun multiplayer too. Cool aesthetic, fun to explore.

Full Bore: A bit older, this is a funky puzzle game about... boars. Stick with it and it'll surprise you, promise.

One Way Heroics Plus: Rogue-like-ish game with a really clever conceit. You constantly move right, fleeing the darkness from the left. Simple to play, comfortable controls, lots of clever mechanics, and a ton of unlockable stuff. I'd skip the very newest release, plus is a straight update of the original release with more content, the newer one is a commercial remakeish thing.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for all the spooky games recs, I'll check them out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Besides the stuff in Before I Play, are there any other things I might need to know about Dead Rising 2 OTR in the beginning? The DLC is dead.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Oh definitely play furi. It will kick your rear end. Nier Automata is a good game but...the combat is pretty lackluster at least by platinum standards. It's adequate for it's needs but there's not much depth there.

Oh ok ya it definitely didn't look like regular platinum combat. Still looks interesting.

E: Is Styx Master of Shadows any good? I haven't seen much about this game but it looks pretty well made. Fantasy RPG with heavy stealth elements sounds cool since I love RPGs and the hitman games.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Styx is actually a stealth game with rpg elements. I'm not that far in but I liked what I played.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lechtansi posted:

Hey thread,

After years of not being able to play the latest and greatest, this is my first steam sale where I can actually play modern games.

Bayonetta
Shovel Knight
Witcher 3
Firewatch
Prey

All you need from that list is Witcher 3 complete edition. Then you are basically busy until the Christmas sale starts. And it is the best game ever.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Besides the stuff in Before I Play, are there any other things I might need to know about Dead Rising 2 OTR in the beginning? The DLC is dead.

The only other thing I can think to recommend is to keep an eye out for objects that you can examine to get new weapon combination recipes. There's several posters on the walls in various locations that can provide you with some powerful combos.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Someone tell me about Mount and Blade Warbands! Should I grab the two DLCs for it? Should I pay the buck and a half extra for Regular Mount and Blade?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

More goon opinions needed...

Beat Hazard
AudioSurf

Both are good and cheap. AudioSurf's more the rhythm game of the two, but has a decent variety in the game modes. I think it was the first of the 'use your own music to generate the level' games, and while simple at the base it's good and relaxing. Beat Hazard has the same base concept but is a very different bent. AudioSurf's relaxing, Beat Hazard is nail-biting. It's a bit more one-note (there's no real alternative game modes) but it's thick with challenges/upgrades. Just to warn it's past the overload point with flashy poo poo everywhere, so even if you don't have seizure issues it can be really hard to follow what's happening because the screen is full of seven million neon strobing particle effects, only two of which are bullets that will kill you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Saxophone posted:

Should I pay the buck and a half extra for Regular Mount and Blade?
No. Warbands is literally Mount and Blade 2.0, and you're missing absolutely nothing by starting with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Xander77 posted:

No. Warbands is literally Mount and Blade 2.0, and you're missing absolutely nothing by starting with it.

Sweet. Now should I shell out the extra 5 for the dlc?

• Locked thread