Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Okay, serious question: Why do people like Gohan as a fighter? His entire combat life has been a long, long series of getting rage powerups that fail to actually accomplish jack poo poo, and the one time he actually seems set to do something with that power he fucks it up so badly his dad has to sacrifice his life to bail him out.

Gohan to nerd and family man is honestly way more compelling IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blaze Dragon posted:

According to Herms98, the poster says "the work of the gods is done". It could also have a second meaning:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/880752673208778752

Considering how fast Jiren is shown to be maybe the "technique of the gods" could be referring to Whis' training? I forget what episode but he mentioned something about being able to fight without actually thinking about what your limbs are doing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

Okay, serious question: Why do people like Gohan as a fighter? His entire combat life has been a long, long series of getting rage powerups that fail to actually accomplish jack poo poo, and the one time he actually seems set to do something with that power he fucks it up so badly his dad has to sacrifice his life to bail him out.

It's mostly that your importance in this series is usually directly linked to how much you punch people, with very few exceptions (Bulma, mostly). People want to see Gohan fighting because it means we see Gohan, at least in the non-hardcore POWER LEVELS crowd. Beyond that, there's the fact that Gohan was truly the single most powerful non-fused being at the end of Z only to become totally useless afterwards, which felt displeasing (after watching Resurrection "F", a friend of mine outright said that it was embarassing to watch Gohan in it, and I couldn't disagree).

I love Gohan as the dorkiest dad, and I'd love to see more of that, but having Gohan as the super-being we were constantly told he was (and he was for extremely short periods of time that mostly accomplished little, except for the Cell fight) is good too. I think both sides can be balanced, although the series has not done a good job of it, considering we're getting no dorkdad Gohan right now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's gonna be everything. Kaioken is a Godly technique, So is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, and probably Ultimate/Mystic form. So it's gonna get all fused together.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Kild posted:

It's gonna be everything. Kaioken is a Godly technique, So is Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, and probably Ultimate/Mystic form. So it's gonna get all fused together.

Ultimate Super mystic god super mystic Kaioken x4

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Isn't super meant to be only 6 months after DBZ? Vegeta did say Gohan lost a lot of power in the cell to buu timeskip, but he was still ridiculously powerful, enough to make Supreme Kai and Kibito cack themselves (yeah I guess this is relative seeing as they both suck). That was a 7 year gap. Yet in 6 months he doesn't think he can even turn super saiyan let alone access his unlocked power.

I do like how even though Goku and Vegeta have been training in martial arts their whole lives and have reached stupid levels of power, they're still kinda poo poo. Many of the opponents in super have discovered massive flaws in their fighting style and they're still learning. It's kinda nice to have something other than the power pushing that dbz is famous for, although the god power ups have kinda kept that going regardless.

Caros posted:

Sir, this is a mcdonalds drive thru.

10 year old meme to you too.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They'll def go past End of Z unless they hate money.

Am I alone in liking Super Sayian 4 and some of GT's designs better than some stuff in Super? Using Great Ape again and such was really smart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

Am I alone in liking Super Sayian 4 and some of GT's designs better than some stuff in Super? Using Great Ape again and such was really smart.

I like it in theory but the actual SSJ4 is a hideous gaudy mess.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I like it in theory but the actual SSJ4 is a hideous gaudy mess.

yeah it was a neat look and idea, but the palette and outfits were so Drugged 80s it caused physical discomfort

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RBX posted:

SSJ4 is ugly. But I"m also the one who thought SSJ3 was also goddamn ugly. It's why I liked how Super dialed it down with the transformations. I still remember reading (not here) how people were disappointed that SSGod was just goku with red hair and I was like finally he doesn't look like an ugly ape. :v:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Isn't super meant to be only 6 months after DBZ? Vegeta did say Gohan lost a lot of power in the cell to buu timeskip, but he was still ridiculously powerful, enough to make Supreme Kai and Kibito cack themselves (yeah I guess this is relative seeing as they both suck). That was a 7 year gap. Yet in 6 months he doesn't think he can even turn super saiyan let alone access his unlocked power.

I do like how even though Goku and Vegeta have been training in martial arts their whole lives and have reached stupid levels of power, they're still kinda poo poo. Many of the opponents in super have discovered massive flaws in their fighting style and they're still learning. It's kinda nice to have something other than the power pushing that dbz is famous for, although the god power ups have kinda kept that going regardless.

It's been several years since the end of Z.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

RBX posted:

Their version of Trunks was terrible, he looked like a teen who just walked out of Abercrombie & Fitch, and was on their way to the country club to take some golf lessons. Nothing about him was badass or cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jedah posted:

Their version of Trunks was terrible, he looked like a teen who just walked out of Abercrombie & Fitch, and was on their way to the country club to take some golf lessons. Nothing about him was badass or cool.
I mean arguably that fits his character in GT since he's the new President of Capsule Corp or whatever.

Not that GT is good but it would have been weird if he were just Future Trunks again.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah current Trunks is not as cool as Future Trunks since his life wasn't filled with sadness and failure.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Raxivace posted:

I mean arguably that fits his character in GT since he's the new President of Capsule Corp or whatever.

I suppose you're right, but Mike Haggar managed to be the mayor of Metro City and still kept pile-driving bad guys into the pavement.

Thankfully, Super restored the dignity of Trunks with the whole Zamasu arc. Remember when little Trunks gave big Trunks a pep talk, and they had a Vegeta-style motivational moment? That was really good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sharktamer posted:

There's no consistency whatsoever with the timeline and it's worthless to think about it because Toriyama suddenly realized everyone is old and tried to dial down their ages without trying to make sense with the timeline. It's better to take the dates we already know rather than what Super itself said, and even with Super, it's very possible that the six months thing was only for the very beginning slice-of-life stuff with Gohan's marriage.

Considering Bra was just born, we're currently in Age 780, 6 years after Kid Buu was defeated. This is also the very same year Future Gohan was killed by the Androids, yet Trunks looks far younger than his future counterpart did at the same age (14) but...Saiyans. They age very randomly. Resurrection "F" happened on Age 779 since Pan was already born but Bra wasn't, meaning that there was a 5 years gap between Gohan obtaining and losing Ultimate (and he still had it by Battle of Gods, so it had to happen between both movies).

RBX posted:

I still think Super Saiyan 4 looks amazing and using the Great Ape form, the Saiyans' very first transformation, to lead to it was actually very cool. Too bad it was in GT so everything else sucked rear end.

I've actually warmed up a lot to Super Saiyan God with time, realizing that there's actually some pretty big differences with how Goku looks normally (different eyes, less unkept hair, different shoes for some reason, less muscle, it honestly changes more than the usual Super Saiyan forms) and how it fits with Toriyama's current, less bulky style and the idea that a God would be less about brute force and more about finesse. I really don't like Blue though, being a literal recolour, but at least the aura looks cool.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 30, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked the part of GT where Goten went on a date with his girlfriend and then got Yamcha'd by a baby

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jedah posted:

I suppose you're right, but Mike Haggar managed to be the mayor of Metro City and still kept pile-driving bad guys into the pavement.

Thankfully, Super restored the dignity of Trunks with the whole Zamasu arc. Remember when little Trunks gave big Trunks a pep talk, and they had a Vegeta-style motivational moment? That was really good.

The Goku Black Arc is pretty much my favorite simply for the small interactions with Kid Trunks and 18.

18 trolling Future Trunks was the best.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gt had one idea that was absolutely brillant were the dragon balls being the final enemy. They had long became a crutch in the show to get out of a bad situation. Now the heroes are getting punished for abusing their power.

However, for every good idea they had like 3 bad ones and the fight choreography was terrible. Plus the old joke of GT standing for "goku time" is depressingly accurate. That's why I actually love super, because it gives other characters a chance to shine. I'm looking forward to eighteen, krillin and piccolo kicking rear end during the tourney. Almost none of the villains in GT had a distinct personality.

SS4 looks like rear end though. I just don't like this hairy weird look they had. Also they started putting on mascara for no reason. Much more of a fan of the god transformations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharktamer posted:

I hope you're not as much of a miserable gently caress outside of this forum as you are in here because :yikes:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pureauthor posted:

I know right? I hate the whole 'Bah, Gohan doesn't fight anymore, he sucks' whining. Gohan probably has my favorite arc of the entire series, every time he fights like Goku its either horrifically traumatizing or a failure, often both. His childhood was taken away from him so that he could be thrown against genocidal space tyrants while watching his friends around him die horribly. Seeing him settle down and enjoy his life as a normal nerdy dad with a cute wife, adorable baby and wacky family is like the most heartwarming thing about Super, and its interesting seeing him evolve over Super so that he sees the value in fighting again to protect his family but that it comes from his initiative rather than the demands of Goku or Piccolo.

gently caress the haters, Great Saiyaman 4 life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedah posted:

As long as we all agree that it's not OK to like Dragon Ball GT, everyone can coexist together peacefully.

Dragonball GT is.........good :twisted:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

TheKingofSprings posted:

I hope you're not as much of a miserable gently caress outside of this forum as you are in here because :yikes:

gently caress, what did I do now?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really hate the pants Goku and Vegeta grow when they go Super Saiyan 4. Why are they even growing pants at all, that is silly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

I really hate the pants Goku and Vegeta grow when they go Super Saiyan 4. Why are they even growing pants at all, that is silly.

Comes from the same place as fusion clothes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
You know, watching the current opening again, I don't think we actually see Goku's hair reset to normal after the big, red aura. It stayed fluffed up in Super Saiyan style while he was in the aura, and while fighting Jiren every shot was on too black of a background to properly tell. It's back to normal for the very end bits, but that's just the usual "lets present the cast" segment.

I think the poster's just making it more clear what the trailer and opening were showing all along.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Rutibex posted:

Dragonball GT is.........good :twisted:

Alright, I believe ya, but my tommy gun don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gwu4X2UYc&t=188s

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RBX posted:

Yeah current Trunks is not as cool as Future Trunks since his life wasn't filled with sadness and failure.

Look I know he's not around a whole lot but Vegeta is still always there for his family when he needs to be (and way more than Goku) so I don't think this is true.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pureauthor posted:

It's all because ssj2 Gohan was the poo poo back in the day and, like a champion boxer past his prime, it's all been downhill from there.

Basically, it's actually Gohan that's having the mid-life crisis in this arc, not Goku.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also Future Gohan has the whole tragic hero thing going for him that makes him super badass, with a really unique power set given his one armed ness

Just, you know, shame he could never actually heal and rest and thus get all of his latent power. Maybe that should be a plot point in Xenoverse 2- Future Gohan has achieved his Ultimate form through rage and determination! You must stop him!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Dragon Ball GT has Star Trek Voyager syndrome: Decent to good ideas, but horrible execution.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Also Future Gohan has the whole tragic hero thing going for him that makes him super badass, with a really unique power set given his one armed ness

Just, you know, shame he could never actually heal and rest and thus get all of his latent power. Maybe that should be a plot point in Xenoverse 2- Future Gohan has achieved his Ultimate form through rage and determination! You must stop him!

In Shin Budokai: Another Road, Future Gohan does get his own Ultimate Form, alongside Super Saiyan 2. Not sure how it goes in-game though, I didn't enjoy it enough to get that far.

The original Shin Budokai is a much better game.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Gohan is awesome, 'cause he's probably the best character out of Z. As a toddler, he scares the poo poo out of his spooky space uncle, gets trained by a demon and is a huge part of the Saiyan arc ending well. Then on Nameck, for the first 3/4 he's pretty much the main character, basically doing all he can to keep things from going to poo poo. Then he finishes off the Android/Cell saga as the biggest badass. At the end of Z, he's way stronger than his dad, the main character.

Then in Super, they take a huge dump on him and make him pathetic. It doesn't really make sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just caught up from where I left off (the 2nd part of the Hit trying to kill Goku filler). The Tournament of Power build-up took a little too long and the scene with Roshi and the Witch was creepy as gently caress, but it was alright. I do like how much they're making the supporting cast relevant again.

I also love how much people in the comments were losing their god drat minds every episode.

"HOW IS ANDROID 17 AS STRONG AS GOKU NOW? SUPER SAYIAN BLUE? HOW!? HOW!? WHAT IS HIS POWERLEVEL? THIS INVALIDATES EVERYTHING GOKU HAS BEEN DOING!? IT MAKES NO SENSE! NO SENSE!"

"KRILLIN? WHAT A WASTED SPOT! HE'S USELESS! USELESS! AND TIEN? ONE SHOT hosed UP HIS TRI-BEAM? THE MOTHERFUCK KEPT 2ND FORM CELL DOWN! HE SHOULD BE THE STRONGEST! STRONGEST!"

"MASTER ROSHI? ARE YOU making GBS threads ME? THE FUCKER CAN'T FLY! HE IS A JOKE! A JOKE! HOW? HOW? HOW CAN HE MATTER? HOW!? HOW!?!"

"THE WRITTING IS UTTER DOG poo poo! HOW CAN SUPER SAYIAN BE REDUCED TO SOMETHING THIS SIMPLE? TINGLING IN THE BACK? IT'S NOT LIKE THIS IS SOME SUPER SAYIAN BARGAIN SALE! IT USED TO MATTER! EVERYONE IS JUST BEING ARBITARILY POWERED UP SO THEY ARE ON THE SAME LEVEL!? THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN DRAGONBALL! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!"

"I REMEMBER WHEN GOKU WAS WELL-WRITTEN! WHEN HE WOULD DO HIS "HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE SPEECH"! NOW!? NOW!? NOW, HE'S A HORRIBLE PERSON! HE'S AWFUL! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL! SUPER IS WRITTEN LIKE DOGSHIT! IT IS WORSE THAN GT! BAD! BAD! BAD! BRING BACK THE REAL GOKU! BRING BACK OUR HERO!!!!!"

Like, I'm exagerrating, but that is what some of the comments on Cruncyroll was for each episode and it was de-light-ful. Frankly, for some of the more boring filler episodes, it was better than the episode.

I got no earthly idea what they did with Buu, though. First, they give him a new form so he could fight alongside them, then he's out of the tournament all together. My guess is either the VA had troubles, someone went "no, Freeza being on the team could lead to some interesting double crosses" and they needed a spot, or they planned that as a feint from the start so you'd never expect it when they needed a last member.

Got to say, I love how their characterizing Freeza. Trying to become the warrior of another universe was a great trick, his desires to play the gods, and his team up with Frost all got me kind of hyped for him more than anything else in the tournament.

Plus, the way Yamcha got turned into an absolute joke the entire time was loving perfect. "My invitation must be here any second" and just getting loving ignored and never, ever considered. Perfect!

Also, I do like the subtle touch where Universe 11 is male japanese superheroes and universe 2, it's pair, are female japanese superheroes. Super Sentai and Magical Shojo, respectively.

I also love how much the writers feel they kept having to go "Goku isn't evil, Zen-oh sama was going to destroy the universe already: Goku gave his own universe a chance to keep itself alive! Stop making theories about him being evil on Youtube, already!"

Female Broly, Freeza and Frost machinations, Gohan being cool again, the OG dragonball supporting cast back, superhero teams, and a bunch of new characters. This is gearing up to be pretty wizard.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 1, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Slightly Absurd posted:

Gohan is awesome, 'cause he's probably the best character out of Z. As a toddler, he scares the poo poo out of his spooky space uncle, gets trained by a demon and is a huge part of the Saiyan arc ending well. Then on Nameck, for the first 3/4 he's pretty much the main character, basically doing all he can to keep things from going to poo poo. Then he finishes off the Android/Cell saga as the biggest badass. At the end of Z, he's way stronger than his dad, the main character.

Then in Super, they take a huge dump on him and make him pathetic. It doesn't really make sense.

Underpowered gohan as the unwilling lackey to a nap prone vegeta is definitely when I got most excited about him as a character.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Slightly Absurd posted:

They don't make him pathetic and his development makes perfect sense.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

khwarezm posted:

They don't make him pathetic and his development makes perfect sense.

it's depends on the lens you're viewing the series through. older fans see gohan leaving behind the passions of his youth and becoming this nebbish glasses wearing family man and view that development positively, due to the parallels it has to their own lives.

the young and hungry can only see such a thing as failure. gohan has softened up and abandoned the idea of being the best. his family life is a mere consolation prize given to those who refuse to seek true greatness

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can't abandon an idea you never followed

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Covok posted:

I got no earthly idea what they did with Buu, though. First, they give him a new form so he could fight alongside them, then he's out of the tournament all together. My guess is either the VA had troubles, someone went "no, Freeza being on the team could lead to some interesting double crosses" and they needed a spot, or they planned that as a feint from the start so you'd never expect it when they needed a last member.

I thought it was because they knew they were writing themselves into a corner if they used Buu. He's incredibly overpowered - one of the strongest warriors in the universe; invulnerable to pain; invincible short of destroying his every last atom all at once; a master mimic, capable of learning any technique once he's seen it; can heal anyone from any injury provided they survive it; really, think of any bullshit power you can and Buu probably has it or can learn it, and all of those examples aren't including techniques that murder people, such as turning people into candy by the thousands or absorbing his foes with chunks of his body. The only reason he didn't immediately curbstomp the dogman is because he thought he was playing a game until Mr. Satan's injury properly motivated him.

Frieza is the better option for the drama and intrigue, but if the writers wanted Universe 7 to win, Buu would have allowed them to win virtually unchallenged, which wouldn't have made for an exciting story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can't abandon an idea you never followed

yeah Gohan NEVER wanted to be the best, from the very beginning he was only fighting out of necessity to save his dad/friends

• Locked thread