Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
That's insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/880965327034527744

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It only cost olidipo and sabonis

:psyduck:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

COOL NOW THE PICK WE GOT FOR RUBIO JUST DROPPED SIX OR SO SPOTS

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

IcePhoenix posted:

COOL NOW THE PICK WE GOT FOR RUBIO JUST DROPPED SIX OR SO SPOTS

lol owned

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

WHAAAAAT

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Oladipo got owned by a little kid and Presti immediately shipped him out of town

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

robbed

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

G-Hawk posted:

players getting 35% isnt a new thing, it just was only for players after 10 years before, so arguably it was restricted to some of the worst long term contracts because it was superstars who were likely headed toward decline. Superstars are just flat out worth 35% of a cap, and probably more. I guess you can argue what the cut off is of who is a "superstar" or worth that or whatever, but reality is no one is going to win a title without at least one of those guys and thats gonna be what they make unless they're young enough to not be there yet.

I feel like people haven't really adjusted to the new higher cap so these numbers seem more astronomical than they are. Same deal on a lot players getting 10-20mil now, everyone insists they're "not worth" that much and obviously in some cases thats true, but really salaries have just gone up quite a bit the last few years and players just make more.
Yes, I know that, we know that

My point is that we already know it's almost impossible to get to the finals without a bunch of stars. How is anyone going to beat the team with the best or second best player if that player's roster is at all decently constructed? Golden State prior to Durant was a result of smart/lucky drafting and good timing on contracts to build a really talented deep team. The Spurs did the Patriots trick of having players take less money than they'd get on the open market.
What comes next is even deeper into asset management territory and will make tanking and purposefully injuring players to lower their 2nd contract value the only ways to get ahead.

Imagine 2 players making 70% of your cap and they're John Wall and Bradley Ball(His new name). Or Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson. Those teams aren't going to win anything

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This is a great trade for the forums

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lol, but really, what's happening with paul george

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Wake up Danny

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mean that's still dramatically worse than they were with Ibaka/Durant, but a nice improvement over last year. I doubt it makes them better than 5th in the West though. Offense will be Waaaaaaay less disgusting to watch though, Metapod and Our Thread Grandpa gonna have a fun year

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
i heard okc was interested in z-bo, any movement on that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

LMAO BOSTON COULDN'T BEAT THAT??

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Oladipo sucks rear end so giving up him and Sabonis isn't even that bad if it ends up being just a rental. Certainly worth taking a shot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahha after all of this loving Oladipo and Sabonis nets Paul George I am loving dying

Nah it's okay we don't want Kevin Love. We've actually got an offer for Domantas Sabonis but thanks anyway

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would hope Indiana is getting a future 1st but OKC can't trade one till 2022.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
do GMs hate their all-stars or something

Remember when Cousins was considered a bad trade, now in context it looks like the best after this

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
GOLDEN STATE WE ARE COMING

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahah grats metapod

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
You know PG ain't resigning.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/880965284235956224

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jota posted:

Oladipo sucks rear end so giving up him and Sabonis isn't even that bad if it ends up being just a rental. Certainly worth taking a shot.

Yeah just thinking the same thing

Can't believe pritchard didn't get better offer

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Any other good players we can trade to the West?

melo to the spurs

anything is possible

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao fuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkk!!!! That team is going to be fun!!!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jota posted:

Oladipo got owned by a little kid and Presti immediately shipped him out of town

Yooo what the gently caress

Westbrook is also an LA guy whose contract is expiring after this season, so they can go to the Lakers together in 2018

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

What comes next is even deeper into asset management territory and will make tanking and purposefully injuring players to lower their 2nd contract value the only ways to get ahead.
I basically agree with this and the rest I just doubt very many teams are willing to do this. I mean I don't think its a great idea I just don't think there are many better options right now unless they want to burn it down for the next 5+ years which they won't

Anyway what the gently caress paul george

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

E2M2 posted:

At worst, they cleared the books of Oladipo's contract. There's no downside to this.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Boosh! posted:

Wake up Danny

Gonna leak out reports saying the Pacers wanted all of their picks

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Carlosologist posted:

LMAO BOSTON COULDN'T BEAT THAT??

Hes not agreeing to an extension and Danny clearly isn't thinking about competing right now

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

but seriously how is Buddy and the number 10 pick for Boogie a better deal than PG's

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

E2M2 posted:

He probably is so he can go to LA

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jota posted:

Literally just the crap Orlando traded them for Serge. In effect they traded Serge for Jerge. Not terrible not great, but the loser in all this is clearly Orlando

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wow what a steal

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Somehow Blake's deal is still worse than that trade.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/880966827530211328

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Great for Dipo, he gets a fresh start with a fan base that rooted for him in college.

I mean that's a garbage return for the Pacers but who expected Pritchard to be good at this?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ahahah Danny Ainge got owned.

• Locked thread