Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Winning championships is hard, we've all said that a lot. Winning championships with a lot of super talented freshmen is in my opinion harder and the ADavis team is looking like it is proving the outlier more than the norm.

I would never say that Kentucky should have won more than one championship with all that talent because like I said winning championships is hard. It is my personal belief that the more successful alchemy of a championship winning team has elements of both super talented freshmen and upperclassmen anchors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The Davis team actually proves your point. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb were sophomores and Darius Miller was a senior, and they were just coming off a Final Four appearance. Davis and MKG were by far the best players on the team but they didn't do it alone. The 39-1 team is another example of how good you can be when you have some experience returning.

This debate is actually pretty common among Kentucky fans.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
USC has been doing great at recruiting this, I hope they aren't paying recruits this time :ohdear:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braxton Beverly, fresh off his release from Ohio State, could well be ending up at NC State. Would be first but not definitely not last benefit of Keatts's Hargrave connections.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

elentar posted:

Braxton Beverly, fresh off his release from Ohio State, could well be ending up at NC State. Would be first but not definitely not last benefit of Keatts's Hargrave connections.

It looks pretty certain this is the case. OSU just announced he was released from his scholarship.

And Derek Funderburk was let go for failure to meet expectations. Previous comments indicate he is lovely at school.

So OSU has like 8 scholarship guys, one of which is a walk on who got a scholly due to so many dudes leaving.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

The Glumslinger posted:

USC has been doing great at recruiting this, I hope they aren't paying recruits this time :ohdear:

I hope they are. Working for free is charity, which has its place, but not paying your employees is criminal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The Davis team actually proves your point. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb were sophomores and Darius Miller was a senior, and they were just coming off a Final Four appearance. Davis and MKG were by far the best players on the team but they didn't do it alone. The 39-1 team is another example of how good you can be when you have some experience returning.

This debate is actually pretty common among Kentucky fans.

Those guys were also 5 star recruits!! Terrance Jones was like Top 10 in his class.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

EvanTH posted:

I hope they are. Working for free is charity, which has its place, but not paying your employees is criminal.

What's worse: not paying them, or only paying some of them?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MourningView posted:

Those guys were also 5 star recruits!! Terrance Jones was like Top 10 in his class.

Yeah, saying "by far" was probably a stretch. Sometimes I forget how good Terrence Jones actually was.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kibner posted:

Bamba's brother is trying to get the NCAA to disqualify Bamba by alleging violations with a financial advisor: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/06/29/texas-mohamed-bamba-alleged-recruiting-violations

Does it really even matter that much that Texas got this guy in the first place? He's probably just gonna leave for the NBA after his freshman year like every other new star player Texas signs.

God Texas is going to suck next season. :smith:

MourningView posted:

Counterpoint: having lots of super good players is actually good, as evidenced by his extremely successful teams

... unless you go to Texas, in which case being super good means you're going to bolt for the NBA at the earliest opportunity, leaving behind a team of just mediocre upperclassmen and like two good first-year guys.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
nvr 4gt

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/882236455178915840

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lmao I was just coming here to post this.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ok sure

wait what
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/883389129395851264

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sure that's bad, but have you considered that he never broke the NCAA's garbage rules and had a very high graduation rate?????

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Unless the inappropriate touching was choking, I can't imagine what the problem would be.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

Sure that's bad, but have you considered that he never broke the NCAA's garbage rules and had a very high graduation rate?????

Thank you, Every Indiana Fan Over 35.

I'm happy that the athletics department has finally come around to the idea that we shouldn't be associating ourselves with that rear end in a top hat beyond hanging the banners he won.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The thing about choking is that both my alma mater and girlfriend are super into it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Least surprising thing ever.

Job at Fox News incoming.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Three top 100 recruits committed to Indiana in the last 24 hours. :getin:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Does anyone have any info on Marvin Bagley III potentially reclassifying with the 2017 class and possibly/likely attending Duke (but still maybe USC) in the fall?

ESPN recruiting has him rated higher than anyone in the current class but I got no good sources for that sort of thing. I'm in it for the NBA draft scouting

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If he does reclassify he is virtually guaranteed to jump ahead of Porter as the #1 recruit.

As for Duke...probably.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wow, he's that good? I've seen a tiny bit of tape but I have very little idea on how to evaluate HS players. Have any links where I could read on him?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/marvin-bagley-iii-3389

http://www.scout.com/player/193060-marvin-bagley/analysis?year=2017

http://247sports.com/Player/Marvin-Bagley-76765

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203733/marvin-bagley-iii

quote:

Strengths:
Bagley has emerged as one of if not the best high school prospect in the game. At 6'11 with multi-dimensional skills and blessed elite athletic ability he impacts the game on both ends of the floor. His soft shooting touch, scoring instincts and ball handing ability make him unique at his size. He is comfortable to knock down a face up jumper to the arc and operates best from the high post or along the baseline. His ability to attack with fluidness and length is hard for opposing big men to stop. He will go into the low post and utilize his jump hook or settle in to the mid-post and back down or face up smaller defenders and shoot over them. He is running the floor with more effort and his long strides with speed are impressive. His activity on the glass and how he alters and or blocks shots have been evident. He has taken his talent from potential to production but the scary thing is there is still plenty of upside in his ability.

Weaknesses:
Bagley has eliminated some of the talk of disappearing at times during the game and losing his assertiveness. It's important to note he must keep his drive for improvement and not be satisfied with his status. He must guard his heart and mind in regards to becoming bored with the game as happens with some of the gifted athletes. As long as he displays teachable spirit to grow his game and make others better he will always be a game changer. He also needs to add strength which will enhance his offensive finish game, post-up game and overall defensive productivity. He must develop and keep an edge on the court that make the great players the best.

Bottom Line:
His size, length and versatility is the way the NBA game is being played. What would make him reach his enormous potential and project out as a one of the best we have seen in a decade would be his continued work ethic and attention to defensive details. With effort he should record a double-double and flirt with a triple-double each game because he is that good. A remarkable set of skills and scoring instincts at a young age who is now starting to grow into his body.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Awesome! Thanks for the links and things. From what tape I saw I was mostly impressed that a young big guy was putting it on the floor and immediately passing to the open man once he found a double. Not always what I expect from AAU guys, hah.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Of course these rankings change hilariously based on questionable motives. Like a four star will pick North Carolina and then the next ranking update comes around and oh hey wouldn't you know it that player is now a five star because basically a lot of these bigger programs evaluate talent better than an online journalist.

The ESPN ranking system is a little different than Scout or Rivals, they evaluate talent based on how they will perform as an NBA player as opposed to a college player. As an NBA fan that may be the one you want to pay the most attention to.

And of course they could all be wrong about a player, like Cliff Alexander. In that case stick to what MourningView thinks, he can sniff out the turds better than most.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah, don't worry I got no plans to get too overexcited when the site gives a new guy a 98, the same rating they gave Austin Rivers, James McAdoo, Quincy Miller and Marquis Teague

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kiimo posted:

Of course these rankings change hilariously based on questionable motives. Like a four star will pick North Carolina and then the next ranking update comes around and oh hey wouldn't you know it that player is now a five star because basically a lot of these bigger programs evaluate talent better than an online journalist.

The ESPN ranking system is a little different than Scout or Rivals, they evaluate talent based on how they will perform as an NBA player as opposed to a college player. As an NBA fan that may be the one you want to pay the most attention to.

And of course they could all be wrong about a player, like Cliff Alexander. In that case stick to what MourningView thinks, he can sniff out the turds better than most.

Star rankings can be hilarious.

There's an ESPN 5-star guy that I've seen play a few times (I cover high school sports). His shot selection was horrendous. He thought he was a jump shooter at 6'9" and he wasn't. No presence on the boards at all despite being that height and 225 pounds. I doubt he'll make it off the bench in college, even with the mediocre SEC team he's currently committed to.

There are a couple more ESPN 4-star guys that I think got inflated because their districts aren't physical ones and the schools are big names. Both players were shut down completely because they couldn't handle any physical pressure at all.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Star rankings in basketball have almost nothing to do with skills and everything to do with your body potential

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue's incoming class has length:

Daniel Ewing -- 6-9; 215
Aaron Wheeler -- 6-9; 200
Nojel Eastern -- 6-6; 220
Sasha Stefanovic -- 6-4; 195
Matt Haarms -- 7-3; 250

Plus 6-10 Jaquil Taylor should see his first real playing time this year. Hopefully a couple of them can actually play.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

PotatoJudge posted:

Purdue's incoming class has length:

Daniel Ewing -- 6-9; 215
Aaron Wheeler -- 6-9; 200
Nojel Eastern -- 6-6; 220
Sasha Stefanovic -- 6-4; 195
Matt Haarms -- 7-3; 250

Plus 6-10 Jaquil Taylor should see his first real playing time this year. Hopefully a couple of them can actually play.

I'm sure they'll whup our rear end in the Crossroads Classic this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how many freakishly large people with double a last names does purdue need, oh i just looked up a picture of haarms, congrats on signing ivan drago

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

R.D. Mangles posted:

how many freakishly large people with double a last names does purdue need, oh i just looked up a picture of haarms, congrats on signing ivan drago

He looked like a desiccated Isaac Haas when he came on campus in January. He had some sort of eligibility issue so he enrolled early and red-shirted because he only weighed 215. Haas is just an inch shorter but is close to 300.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State confirmed the signing of Braxton Beverly today. That's not even remotely an NC State name but if he can shoot even a little bit I think everyone will deal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watching Kansas destroy an Italian team, Udoka dunked so hard he was given a warning and screwed up the goal. They had to fix it. He's going to break a backboard this year guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/892793254676230144/video/1

https://twitter.com/JayhawkVideo/status/892796388362383361

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 2, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
MPJ's little brother Jontay is reclassifying for this year so Mizzou's class gets even better

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

MPJ's little brother Jontay is reclassifying for this year so Mizzou's class gets even better

It was already probably the best class Mizzou's ever had.

Everyone's going to be so young and I don't trust Cuonzo to figure things out really fast like Cal does, but it will be nice to at least watch potentially very good players. And MPJ, who I'm sure will be very good no matter what.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

congrats MU fans.

KU trying to keep up news-wise as Mitchell Robinson is visiting this weekend but he's never going to get a waiver so it's kind of pointless. Look for him in Australia or Greece this season.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well here's a new wrinkle...

Apparently Mitchell Robinson's enrollment paperwork is not processed even though he attended some summer school classes. I guess the Dean could just deny enrollment automatically making Robinson a decommit instead of a transfer.

That Dean is...former KU vice chancellor Tim Caboni.

If KU somehow lands this guy they will trot out two NBA-caliber 7-footers this year. Their guards playing without a big scored 118 against the Italian all stars last week.

opks22
Dec 12, 2003

Something wicked this way comes.

So... Bagley to Duke... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Jesus this is the best recruiting class in Duke history.

• Locked thread