Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

Just watched Joe and Mika from this morning. I like how they sat on 2 HUGE stories 1) That someone running for president was, according to someone working on their campaign, mentally unhinged and unstable and 2) The president is blackmailing journalists, until they could use them to settle a Twitter war. I wonder why they thought the public didn't need to know those things before that...
I mean they both probably voted for him....they are still Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is loving beautiful

https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/880910072213368839

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean they both probably voted for him....they are still Republicans.

I'm sure they did. Just wondering if they realize how bad that story made them look as well as Trump. heh

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:doh:

This man is so profoundly stupid and oblivious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

:siren:STOP POSTING ABRAMSON:siren:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/880822581946974209?p=v

Also, I loathe the Intercept. But kudos to them for using their platform to lash out at the political hacks who are trying to boost their careers with fauxprogressive signaling and empty, impossible "bills". Many others have written similar articles detailing why those who bitch out Rendon on this are either ignorant or disingenuous, but none with the Intercept's progressive cachet.

Horseshit. The job of the Assembly as professional legislators is to write legislation that enacts the will of the people who elected them, not wait for the legislation faerie to drop laws in their laps, and yes telling individual senators to come up with a bill on their own time because we can't waste valuable committee time (you know the organs responsible for creating legislation) on something stupid like healthcare is waiting for the legislation faerie.

The Assembly had no problem passing bill after bill for Schwarzenegger to veto and then wringing their hands "gawrsh we have this great plan but the Republicans just won't let us pass it, if only we had a supermajority, you voters need to do your part." So the voters do, they turn out and give Dems supermajority control of the whole drat government and suddenly "oh I'm sorry but Mrs Barbara Smith of 123 Shady Grove didn't staple a fully costed legislatively complete bill to her ballot, writing laws is hard I guess we'll just have to wait for the lobbyists to write one for us. What campaign promises, sorry electing us to do our jobs isn't how this works, voters, what are you, stupid?"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Here is my hot take on the Morning Joe thing:

At first, I thought it was just more celebrity twitter slap fighting, but I do actually think it is relevant.

One of the big puzzles of the Trump administration was whether Trump would manage to alienate people or normalize behavior faster.

He has done a lot of both, but there are some institutions he has managed to squarely alienate. He alienated the mainstream press. A big chunk of the law enforcement and intelligence community were wavering, but with the Comey firing, he alienated them. Now, badgering and blackmailing at least part of the right wing media is letting them know that they aren't immune. There is another possible part of his power base that has just realized that, yes, leopards will eat their face and leave them bloody.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The President of the United States of America is not a smart man.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

withak posted:

The President of the United States of America is not a smart man.

Or at least, he's never seen Toy Story. Odd, since it's about on his intellectual level.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

:thurman:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Here is my hot take on the Morning Joe thing:

At first, I thought it was just more celebrity twitter slap fighting, but I do actually think it is relevant.

One of the big puzzles of the Trump administration was whether Trump would manage to alienate people or normalize behavior faster.

He has done a lot of both, but there are some institutions he has managed to squarely alienate. He alienated the mainstream press. A big chunk of the law enforcement and intelligence community were wavering, but with the Comey firing, he alienated them. Now, badgering and blackmailing at least part of the right wing media is letting them know that they aren't immune. There is another possible part of his power base that has just realized that, yes, leopards will eat their face and leave them bloody.

Has he?

The some of the largest police unions in the country endorsed Donnie and the largest police unions of various big cities continue to blast their Dem mayors for saying "Maybe you shouldn't kill blacks at the drop of a pin?"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

PhazonLink posted:

Has he?

The some of the largest police unions in the country endorsed Donnie and the largest police unions of various big cities continue to blast their Dem mayors for saying "Maybe you shouldn't kill blacks at the drop of a pin?"

I am actually curious about that.

You are right, the local law enforcement community probably hasn't changed.

The FBI certainly has. How far that has spread outside of the FBI is something I don't know.

Just like how many of his cable news supporters will realize that he might send the National Enquirer to reveal they have personal lives? I don't know.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Crow Jane posted:

Ever see The Wire? Carcetti was based on him. He REALLY hosed over Baltimore with his police and drug policies as mayor.

I'll admit the guy is pretty charismatic, however.

Haha, wait, really? Well that explains a bit.

Baltimore is a cess pit of corruption. Guess I shouldn't be surprised he was part of it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

glowing-fish posted:

I am actually curious about that.

You are right, the local law enforcement community probably hasn't changed.

The FBI certainly has. How far that has spread outside of the FBI is something I don't know.

Just like how many of his cable news supporters will realize that he might send the National Enquirer to reveal they have personal lives? I don't know.

The FBI are an educated bunch. The Republican "elite" aren't as comfortable with Trump as blue collar Republicans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BarbarianElephant posted:

The FBI are an educated bunch. The Republican "elite" aren't as comfortable with Trump as blue collar Republicans.

Being "not comfortable" with Trump doesn't mean they won't support him, enable his lawlessness or vote for him in 2020.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

mik posted:

I feel like there's sort of a Spartacus thing going on with all these states defying Trump on the voter information now that the defiance-ball is rolling. It's the same as the healthcare bill, everyone waits for the point where they can say "oh yeah well I never liked that anyway!"
Honestly I expect this to eventually happen to Trump himself.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

what a fuckin' time to be alive

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

No.

The original Oregon constitution, from 1859, prohibited slavery, and also prohibited any African-American people from living there. My own guess is that before the Civil War, there was fears that slavery could be started by people bringing in "free blacks who just happen to have agreed to be our indentured servants", and then normalizing it into a slave state.

I'm not very familiar with Oregon's history, but maybe you shouldn't weigh in on the reason for banning black people from the state if you're just guessing...

Black Americans apparently couldn't even move to the state until 1926.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

mcmagic posted:

Being "not comfortable" with Trump doesn't mean they won't support him, enable his lawlessness or vote for him in 2020.

Possibly an increase in the Libertarian vote. I guess.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Glazier posted:

Counterpoint

Wow, I don't have anything else to add, just... wow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LtStorm posted:

https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/880842900577206272

I really hope this isn't the start of a trend.

The fact that Oathkeepers are involved is probably the least surprising part of the story. When the Trumpstaffel becomes official those goose-stepping motherfuckers are going to be the first in line to join.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

More news about the guy trying to get Clinton's emails and apparently more soon.

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/880964138993946624

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/880965413156392960

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wittes is keeping true to his word and retiring tick tick tick tick

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hopefully real soon because I don't want to go through the long weekend without some juicy news. I need my fix! :argh:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/880961480308469760

loving assholes. These people just want to serve their country.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm not very familiar with Oregon's history, but maybe you shouldn't weigh in on the reason for banning black people from the state if you're just guessing...

Black Americans apparently couldn't even move to the state until 1926.

Yeah, just like the geography of US he has no idea what he's talking about. Oregon was originated as a white homeland. Oregon didn't ban slavery because slavery was bad, it was because if you don't have slaves, you don't have black people.

And the Coon Chicken Inn was an actual place, not just a postcard.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Major story on Friday before the 4th? It's one of the biggest take out the trash days.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Can someone post the text of this? Paywalled.

Never mind, I got past it. I'm not clear on why this is a big deal though.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 1, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/PressSecSpicey/status/880966844865064960

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/880961480308469760

loving assholes. These people just want to serve their country.

So far, the pentagon has been rather separate from the Trump administration (mostly). I wouldn't read too much into this just yet. The military has a *lot* of issues in integrating folks and making sure that things like bullying do not occur, so I'd hold and wait first.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/880967435926556672
:f5:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

There's another WSJ follow up naming Conway, Bannon, and others working with Smith.

Maddow is talking about it right now.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh sheeit

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ntan1 posted:

So far, the pentagon has been rather separate from the Trump administration (mostly). I wouldn't read too much into this just yet. The military has a *lot* of issues in integrating folks and making sure that things like bullying do not occur, so I'd hold and wait first.

This. It's lovely, but I don't think it's a political decision.

Also, I would not want to work anywhere near the armed forces right now, trans or not.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

There's another WSJ follow up naming Conway, Bannon, and others working with Smith.

Maddow is talking about it right now.

holy poo poo

please let there be concrete evidence

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

skylined! posted:

holy poo poo

please let there be concrete evidence

The article is basically nothing because it just says their names were in a file.

quote:

Mr. Smith’s purpose in listing the officials isn’t clear. There is no indication in the document that he sought or received any coordination from the campaign officials or the campaign in general.

I really don't know why they even ran this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BarbarianElephant posted:

GA - 06 was one of the most highly educated areas of Georgia.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

GA - 06 was one of the most highly educated areas of Georgia.

They're not comfortable with Trump, just with other Republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Phoix posted:

The article is basically nothing because it just says their names were in a file.

I really don't know why they even ran this.

Because I need it to get me going on yet another Friday night alone with my DVD boxsets of West Wing.

• Locked thread