Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Sam herself is such a smug sanctimonious prick that I stay away from that show by default
that's just about every late-night talk show host now, they're heavier on holier-than-thou bullshit than they are on jokes. comedy has always been cyclical, but it really feels like the "comedians should also be modern-day philosophers" phase is never going to end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

that's just about every late-night talk show host now, they're heavier on holier-than-thou bullshit than they are on jokes. comedy has always been cyclical, but it really feels like the "comedians should also be modern-day philosophers" phase is never going to end

Get woke stay woke just after a word from our sponsors and an interview with the star of the latest summer blockbuster

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

About the only comedian I ever saw pull that off was Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUaqFzZLxU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

everyone wants to be the next jon stewart. the issue is stewart was talented and while he poo poo on and hated the GOP for the monsters they were, he wasnt afraid of making GBS threads on the dems for their stupidty, he also wasnt afraid of making jokes or being clever.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

imagine thinking this:

https://twitter.com/TVLine/status/880763994470064128

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuzzySkinner posted:

About the only comedian I ever saw pull that off was Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUaqFzZLxU

they saw carlin do it and they all said 'hey i can do that too but better' and most of them can't do it at all

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

everyone wants to be the next jon stewart. the issue is stewart was talented and while he poo poo on and hated the GOP for the monsters they were, he wasnt afraid of making GBS threads on the dems for their stupidty, he also wasnt afraid of making jokes or being clever.

Stewart also wasn't afraid to just express anger. He got mad about poo poo, and that was both entertaining and relate-able. He would snark and be smug or whatever but when a story crossed his personal line he displayed very human anger in a way none of the Daily Show alumni - except maybe occasionally Oliver - have really dared to express. I don't think the issue with Noah, Bee and the others isn't that they aren't as funny, Stewart told some real stinkers and his impressions were never great, nor that theyre somehow smugger than Stewart was, its that none of them have the knack of just dropping the comedy screen for a moment and being an angry human about incredibly stupid things.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the worst part about colbert doing this poo poo is that the colbert report was much better than the daily show. it was great satire, it was funny, and it was insightful

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seeing trevor noah defend obama over his ludicrous speaking fees because he's black was bad in many ways, not the least of which that jon stewart never, ever would have done that. he was way too cynical about people in politics for him to take that lying down, much less defend it

between every talk show host doing a jon stewart impression (and failing) and most of the new comedy central shows this year playing up the "woke" angle, i'm just amazed that we're apparently not at the saturation point yet

Not a Step posted:

Stewart also wasn't afraid to just express anger. He got mad about poo poo, and that was both entertaining and relate-able.
my problem with the daily show in the last few years when jon stewart hosted was that it leaned way too much into him being angry and yelling at current events. when the colbert report ended, i stopped watching it entirely. john oliver is the best of the bunch and i don't watch last week tonight for the same reason

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

"comedians should also be modern-day philosophers"

This is absolutely the worst trend in pop culture

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
A person gives a speech and lies and gladhands for votes

Oh fine I guess

A person gives a speech and lies and gladhands for money

Well I never, and don't dare defend such a person!

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

it really feels like the "comedians should also be The Troops" phase is never going to end

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dreddout posted:

This is absolutely the worst trend in pop culture
norm macdonald talking about this and other dumb comedy trends with gilbert gottfried is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAkLGLviGk

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

norm macdonald talking about this and other dumb comedy trends with gilbert gottfried is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAkLGLviGk

Guys like Norm just..."work" because they don't give a poo poo.

That's generally when a comedian is best.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

the worst part about colbert doing this poo poo is that the colbert report was much better than the daily show. it was great satire, it was funny, and it was insightful

seeing trevor noah defend obama over his ludicrous speaking fees because he's black was bad in many ways, not the least of which that jon stewart never, ever would have done that. he was way too cynical about people in politics for him to take that lying down, much less defend it

jon stewarts brother was COO of the new york stock exchange. i dont really think he would have criticized obama that much

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terror Sweat posted:

jon stewarts brother was COO of the new york stock exchange. i dont really think he would have criticized obama that much

This is also why his coverage of Occupy Wall Street was so incredibly bad

John Stewart Leibowitz aka "John Stewart" is ultimately part of the same power elite he is supposed to be criticizing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

John Stewart Leibowitz aka "John Stewart" is ultimately part of the same power elite he is supposed to be criticizing

:thunk:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its Jon, short for Jonathan.

Also Stuart.

This whole thing is full'a holes!

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Colbert seems to have a real dislike for Trump as a person which to an extent distracts from his viewing the President as part of a larger problem. instead of satirizing policy issues, the GOP or Congress as a whole he's zero-ing in on Trump's tweets, his appearance and behavior and mostly ignoring everything else and it comes off as snark at an easy target. I think Tracy Morgan said Donald Trump is bad for comedy and it makes sense that Trump is such an immediately ridiculous figure that he's causing normally critical thinkers to focus on his most superficial poo poo like some sort of obvious joke lightning rod

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Les Os posted:

I think Tracy Morgan said Donald Trump is bad for comedy
he's right. the first few minutes of that video i shared is norm making fun of the concept of how comedy needs to be "important." that was put up four years ago and it's only gotten worse

skip to an hour in to see him and gilbert make fun of bill hicks and the concept of "important comedy" some more

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Jul 1, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Les Os posted:

Colbert seems to have a real dislike for Trump as a person which to an extent distracts from his viewing the President as part of a larger problem. instead of satirizing policy issues, the GOP or Congress as a whole he's zero-ing in on Trump's tweets, his appearance and behavior and mostly ignoring everything else and it comes off as snark at an easy target. I think Tracy Morgan said Donald Trump is bad for comedy and it makes sense that Trump is such an immediately ridiculous figure that he's causing normally critical thinkers to focus on his most superficial poo poo like some sort of obvious joke lightning rod

R

Atings

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zeris posted:

R

Atings
some day, audiences will get bored of late night talk show hosts like colbert and jimmy kimmel being "important," as well as comedy shows being the same way. i'm eagerly awaiting the turning point

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yah those darned audiences

When will they shape up

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

some day, audiences will get bored of late night talk show hosts like colbert and jimmy kimmel being "important," as well as comedy shows being the same way. i'm eagerly awaiting the turning point

This isn't the Johnny Carson or David Letterman days where this actually made sense.

Carson was also apolitical, and Letterman would only briefly touch on it.

Les Os posted:

Yeah that's the thing I've noticed from most. Same thing with a lot of "Never Trump" conservatives. It's about the manner he's doing things, not so much his actual policies. They never really batted an eye when obama or dubya was doing some pretty abhorent poo poo. But you know, Trump tweeted something insulting so let's meltdown about it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its not that Trump is an incompetent idiot with abhorrent policies that will lead to the death of thousands, perhaps tens of thousands.

Its that hes just so *embarrassing* while hes doing it. Have a little class while you gently caress over the nation, jeez. Nobody *really* cares that Trump is leading the way on loving up healthcare for millions, they care that hes a clownish buffoon.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
goddamn America

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

lmao an unironic (((power elite))) in C-Spam

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Les Os posted:

hating trump is key, IMO

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/878686481644216321

https://twitter.com/mattprov94/status/878687050941255680

https://twitter.com/liftrs/status/878690703362203648

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

oxballs should probably stick to gbs where he'd face a warmer reception with his posting

Zeris posted:

Yah those darned audiences

When will they shape up
"important entertainment" is the pop culture trend du jour and networks will milk it until it's dry, which will happen when audiences either get tired of the glut of such shows or actively pine for something else. when that happens, these shows will either have to be entertaining as well as important instead of leaning more heavily towards the latter, or (more than likely) they'll swing into the apolitical

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

hating trump is key, IMO

It really isnt though. Trump is a clownish buffoon and a lot of 'pundits' seem content to score easy goals concerning either his appearance or his extensive personal history of gently caress-ups and skulduggery. That makes it very easy to avoid talking about how abhorrent his and the Republicans actual policy stances are, and how we as a nation should really be striving to do more than just #resist and laugh about Trump. Hating Trump is an easy excuse to not think about any of the factors that led to a President Trump in the first place.

Trump is perhaps uniquely suited to take advantage of the current state of affairs, but he didn't create them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Those indeed have not aged well.

I get some sort of feeling of overwhelming dread looking at them. Not that I'm opposed to the concept, but it just feels like people were kinda blissfully unaware of what was to happen.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

yeah you're still a meonazi mange mite

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Cool rap sheet you antisemetic nazi gently caress

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FuzzySkinner posted:

Guys like Norm just..."work" because they don't give a poo poo.

That's generally when a comedian is best.

norm macdonald doesnt work, thats a well known fact

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Cool rap sheet you antisemetic nazi gently caress

yeah im thinking of throwing in a ban on top cus hes def a nazi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
6 hours seems pretty lenient

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jose posted:

6 hours seems pretty lenient

yeah i didnt read his history and leaned on the side he was being stupid or stupidly ironic but actually He's A Nazi

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its pretty insane that people just being nazis online is a common and daily thing now when like 3 years ago you had to actually look for them and they were just rare freaks to laugh at. thank u 4chan

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

oxballs should probably stick to gbs where he'd face a warmer reception with his posting

"important entertainment" is the pop culture trend du jour and networks will milk it until it's dry, which will happen when audiences either get tired of the glut of such shows or actively pine for something else. when that happens, these shows will either have to be entertaining as well as important instead of leaning more heavily towards the latter, or (more than likely) they'll swing into the apolitical

they're basically rush limbo for libs. makes em feel better that someone's sticking it to djt, so they sleep well then go back to being office drones the next morning. it's placating them into inaction because they would like the system if someone nicer was on the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not a Step posted:

It really isnt though. Trump is a clownish buffoon and a lot of 'pundits' seem content to score easy goals concerning either his appearance or his extensive personal history of gently caress-ups and skulduggery. That makes it very easy to avoid talking about how abhorrent his and the Republicans actual policy stances are, and how we as a nation should really be striving to do more than just #resist and laugh about Trump. Hating Trump is an easy excuse to not think about any of the factors that led to a President Trump in the first place.

Trump is perhaps uniquely suited to take advantage of the current state of affairs, but he didn't create them.

key for comedy i mean. anyone looking for policy stuff shouldnt be watching late-night shows anyway