Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 5+ pilot robots always seem way squisher than the lesser pilot giant robots like Big O for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

That's what I meant by being ok in J being damning. In a game where almost every other super can solo every stage of the game if you click end turn enough times being "ok" doesn't really cut it.

I mean, it's still better than every real in the game and it can still solo enemy waves with proper spirit use. Plus, having Enable and Renew on a unit that can actually deal damage is pretty nice to have, even if you will only get one cast.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'd use Combattler and Voltes even if they sucked because of their theme songs and because I love big blocky super robots.

They usually serve me well enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tae posted:

The 5+ pilot robots always seem way squisher than the lesser pilot giant robots like Big O for whatever reason.

Because the theory is that someone's supposed to be casting iron wall or invincible every turn even if it doesn't actually work out that way til 5 minutes before the game ends.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, it's still better than every real in the game and it can still solo enemy waves with proper spirit use.

J has Tekkaman Blade as Layzner Mk2 so it's not better than every real.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, it's still better than every real in the game

Freedom and Justice say hi.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The main problem with reals in J is the AI targeting thing.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Combattler/Voltes (they usually appear together and there's no practical differences anyway) are among the top tiers in Alpha 1, Alpha Gaiden and A Portable IMO.

It's kind of correct that generally multi-pilot Supers will tend to have worse stats than their single-pilot counterparts as a balance factor - the times where it doesn't happen is when you get Shin Getter being top tier, which happens a lot.

So you'll probably notice a trend in that the games in which C/V are very good are those where the enemy numbers just outscales the players such that you have to heavily rely on Spirits.

To break down in detail

Alpha 1: The big factor is that Alpha 1 uses the Winkysoft damage formula which has Morale has a straight damage multiplier. So one of the dominant strategies is to just slam on the Yell spirit like 5 times and then stomp all over the enemy.

Single unit pilot can't really do this because then they won't have any SP left to cast utility like Strike, but multi-pilot don't have that problem.

Alpha Gaiden: They switched to the modern formula now so the previous strategy isn't good anymore. They did forever add Faith (IIRC 80 SP to give 50 SP to another unit) but Alpha Gaiden's version restored SP to all pilots in a unit when it gets cast!

Later games made it so that it would only restore SP to the head pilot, but Alpha Gaiden is basically converting a whole bunch of 80 SP on pilots you don't care about into 200-250 SP per pop. Oh and some of the multi-pilot supers themselves have Faith.

A Portable: The enemy quality is really high in this game that you have to rely on Spirits a lot.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh crap am I missing Alpha 2 discussion?

Regarding huge maps, oh my god this a thousand times. This is some Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War poo poo.

So far in my work on Alpha 2, my favorite thing in the world is when the girls are just about to leave ship to visit a bathhouse, and then suddenly klaxons go off and you get this:

The moral of the story is do not loving stand between Kusuha Mizuha and a hot bath

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gundam Versus' US release date is September 29th.

Europe is "later this Fall" and Japan is still in 5 days.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I've just beaten V, and I'm curious about the backlash to the POD backlash. Not being familiar with the franchise, I assume people hate it because of Akito's characterization in the movie

Was there anything else that made the movie as lovely as it is?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

akito's characterization, ruri being the main character just because she's popular even though she isn't really suited to the main character role and wasn't *that* important in the original series, a lot of the plot developments/changes seeming kind of random.

I kind of like PoD as its own movie, it's got a lot of really neat animation and some cool scenes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Willo567 posted:

I've just beaten V, and I'm curious about the backlash to the POD backlash. Not being familiar with the franchise, I assume people hate it because of Akito's characterization in the movie

I asked the exact same thing a few pages back. Basically despite the events and themes of it, Nadesico ended on a really hopeful, light note with characters who had progressed as characters, grown up but were still who they were. The movie comes along and suddenly Akito is gritty space batman, yurika is a box and Ruri is the main character even though she doesn't really have the characterization to hold up a starring role on her own. Then it ends on a really lame note expecting sequels that never happened.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
in FMW4 Lilly Black is Black Serena and reminds me again how boring that unit is other than its music.

edit: Akito is supposed to be a master boson jumper but has no jump-based attacks like his enemies do.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 2, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hokuto posted:

Oh crap am I missing Alpha 2 discussion?

Regarding huge maps, oh my god this a thousand times. This is some Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War poo poo.

So far in my work on Alpha 2, my favorite thing in the world is when the girls are just about to leave ship to visit a bathhouse, and then suddenly klaxons go off and you get this:

The moral of the story is do not loving stand between Kusuha Mizuha and a hot bath

dare I ask for progress?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I asked the exact same thing a few pages back. Basically despite the events and themes of it, Nadesico ended on a really hopeful, light note with characters who had progressed as characters, grown up but were still who they were. The movie comes along and suddenly Akito is gritty space batman, yurika is a box and Ruri is the main character even though she doesn't really have the characterization to hold up a starring role on her own. Then it ends on a really lame note expecting sequels that never happened.

Heck, the robots aren't even as much fun. the Aestivalises you get in V are garbage compared tot he ones in J, which were from the original show and had multiple frames you could use.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Are the Aestvalis's in J actually good?
Because I didn't get too far in that game and my only impression of the Aestvalis's in that game was 'generic lovely reals umbilicalled to the Nadisico'

I tried to play that game again after V and I just looked at the GBA UI and was just...ugh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They're good, but in the context of J, not as good as the absurdly broken reals like the entire Tekkaman squad and Justice/Freedom.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ChrisBTY posted:

Because I didn't get too far in that game and my only impression of the Aestvalis's in that game was 'generic lovely reals umbilicalled to the Nadisico'

I tried to play that game again after V and I just looked at the GBA UI and was just...ugh.

Ryoko, Izuki, and Hikaru are fantastic. Together they can use their team attack three times a turn, and J is a game where boss units tend to have strong defenses that team attacks bypass. Being umbilicalled to the Nadisico is often a positive.

There are a lot of good units in J.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

The enemy AI in J is scripted to prioritize the unit with the lowest Mobility stat first, and often times that unit is the Nadesico, one of the most broken units in the game. Which means that the Aestivalises can potentially clean up anything that the Nadesico doesn't horribly overkill because they'll be hanging around the ship's Gravity Antenna range to keep up their EN. Like Schwarzwald said, Team Ryoko is probably the best out of the lot because the girls have a combination attack that is available for nearly the entire game and comes in real handy as boss stats increase over the course of the game. Akito and Gai work well for the first few stages, but then have to wait until stage 44 (out of 55) to be good again due to Gai leaving and being a secret unit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Ryoko, Izuki, and Hikaru are fantastic. Together they can use their team attack three times a turn, and J is a game where boss units tend to have strong defenses that team attacks bypass. Being umbilicalled to the Nadisico is often a positive.

There are a lot of good units in J.

The nadesico doesn't refill their energy to max each turn, unfortunately, but being able to bust out their team attacks 3x a turn is pretty good and they're decent at clearing trash since you'll almost always have them really close at hand and within spitting distance of the nadesico. They're not Tekkaman tier of awesome or anywhere near the ridiculousness of Granteed or the Mazingers but I tend to use them the whole game because they're just solid units. Especially great if you're ever trying to do something like kill Devil Gundam for that sweet, sweet bless cash but he bails at like 10k health so you need to chip him down just enough for your supers to swoop in and nuke it.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

For what it's worth it doesn't help that in every previous SRW adaption of POD the units were either mediocre at best or withheld till the end game. In previous games, Akito was a fun unit that you only got to use for a couple of stages. Contrast with V in which he's permanently part of the roster before the half way point.

The movie is also disliked for ending on a clifhanger that was never resolved. This isn't a problem in SRW though since they just tie POD into other series.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Race Realists posted:

dare I ask for progress?

It's going to be a long while. Even if I get the scenario dialogue done this year, that's only part of the equation. I haven't touched the battle dialogue or databases, and anything graphical isn't even in a touchable state yet, like location screens and stage title screens.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Being tethered to the Nadesico isn't really an issue for the Aestavalises (Aestavali?) in most of the games the series appears in - heck, I think V is the only game it shows up that has Battle Masteries (which usually translates to turn limits on missions)

They're usually mid tier pushing a slight edge towards the "good" end, but I think they're actually pretty top tier in R.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Davzz posted:

Being tethered to the Nadesico isn't really an issue for the Aestavalises (Aestavali?) in most of the games the series appears in - heck, I think V is the only game it shows up that has Battle Masteries (which usually translates to turn limits on missions)

They're usually mid tier pushing a slight edge towards the "good" end, but I think they're actually pretty top tier in R.

Impact?

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 4, 2017

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I can't resist temptation anymore and am going to get SRW V. I just can't decide whether to go Vita or PS4; portable SRW is great, but then big-screen HD is pretty rad when I can get my wife off the TV.

Are there any major differences or performance/loading issues between Vita/PS4?

Also, is it good? Better than Z3?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't know about differences; but stages feel pretty long to me? Not like J-tier where you're fighting five bosses in a row or anything but unless I'm just exceptionally slow, I find most stages past the halfway point take like an hour or so to get through. I don't know how you'd really play the game without your vita battery dying.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

thorsilver posted:

So I can't resist temptation anymore and am going to get SRW V. I just can't decide whether to go Vita or PS4; portable SRW is great, but then big-screen HD is pretty rad when I can get my wife off the TV.

You could get the PS4 version and do remote play when the wife won't give up the TV.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Aestivalises were extremely good in Impact for three main reasons. First, the Nadesico in that game was possibly the most overpowered incarnation of the Nadesico ever in the context of the other units in the game, which is saying something. Second, the game had some pretty serious resource concerns for a lot of the game on a lot of units that the Aestivalises largely ignored. Third, the game gave you the Lunar Frames, which had extremely powerful finisher-class 2-7 P missiles that could be used off the bat and then the frame could be immediately discarded for whichever normal frame you preferred, meaning that they had a ton of up-front damage output in the early parts of stages when will was still low.

They weren't bleeding edge top tier but they were definitely extremely good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I suggest PS4, partially because from what I've heard the Vita is kinda a huge pain in the rear end to deal with when it comes to non American games since it can only hold one account at a time

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I suggest PS4, partially because from what I've heard the Vita is kinda a huge pain in the rear end to deal with when it comes to non American games since it can only hold one account at a time

If it's the physical version, it's not an issue. Physical Vita games are region free and don't care about your PSN region. I have the Vita version and it looks good. It's tough since the PS4 version is of course going to look superior and remote play gives you the best of both worlds, but I'm more than happy with getting the Vita version.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hunter Noventa posted:

You could get the PS4 version and do remote play when the wife won't give up the TV.

You're a genius :aaaaa: How did I not think of that?!

Nuebot posted:

I don't know about differences; but stages feel pretty long to me? Not like J-tier where you're fighting five bosses in a row or anything but unless I'm just exceptionally slow, I find most stages past the halfway point take like an hour or so to get through. I don't know how you'd really play the game without your vita battery dying.

Well the Vita's battery isn't great, but to be fair, sleep mode is incredibly convenient and uses barely any power, so playing long games on Vita is generally fine IMO. Although it might be a bit annoying not to be able to actually complete a stage during my commute, if they're all that long.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

thorsilver posted:

I can't say whether or not it is better than Z3 because I have only played the games I can play in English. (J, Moon Dwellers, Alpha Gaiden)
SRW V is the only SRW game I've played that didn't completely burn me out before I could finish it.
There is a fair knock on it being a little too easy. But that didn't really start to get to me until about 3/4ths of a second playthrough where I spent the first 35 chapters making things explode by looking at them funny.

Also, it has a bot based on an existing IPs that is unique to that game Mazin Emperor G and it is just the best goddamn thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

I can't say whether or not it is better than Z3 because I have only played the games I can play in English. (J, Moon Dwellers, Alpha Gaiden)
SRW V is the only SRW game I've played that didn't completely burn me out before I could finish it.
There is a fair knock on it being a little too easy. But that didn't really start to get to me until about 3/4ths of a second playthrough where I spent the first 35 chapters making things explode by looking at them funny.

Also, it has a bot based on an existing IPs that is unique to that game Mazin Emperor G and it is just the best goddamn thing.

The game definitely tanks in difficulty if you level up any of the cool mechs at all. Especially with how easy it is to make a unit take like five moves in one turn, counter every enemy with their best skill and then just refill their EN next turn.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought that going back to only being able to use seishins during my turn in FMW4 was going to give me trouble but I guess my brain hasn't completely gone soft from V.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

SRW3 is in English. You could play that. :twisted:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Disaster Report-like survive as a civilian during a giant robot/monster fight game Kyoei Toshi is going to have Patlabor in it. Not to pilot though of course, that's the whole point. Also the release date is 10/19. This could turn out to be a really special game.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/882162133399552005/photo/1

http://knst.bn-ent.net/

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 4, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Disaster Report-like survive as a civilian during a giant robot/monster fight game Kyoei Toshi is going to have Patlabor in it. Not to pilot though of course, that's the whole point. Also the release date is 10/19. This could turn out to be a really special game.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/882162133399552005/photo/1

http://knst.bn-ent.net/

Will one of the hazards be a berzerk Ohta running and gunning all over town? This is important to me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Do any of you lot know if any of the Japanese wikis for Z3.2 have the Ace conversations transcribed? I know one had a couple from Z3.1, but I can't even find that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In a moment of weakness I preordered Gundam Versus. The last one of these games I played for hours on end was Gundam vs Z-Gundam so maybe it was a mistake, we'll see.

• Locked thread