Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SirPhoebos posted:

What is the explanation for why Earth stopped rotating, and how this hasn't turned the sun-locked side into a scorching desert?

It's answered in the original Nier but I can't remember exactly why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

...! posted:

And that's because the machines have the capability to completely annihilate the androids at any time but they choose not to. The machine network was designed to fight the androids and has discovered that it values the fight itself more than it values victory. It would lose its sense of purpose if the androids were wiped out.

Plus it's obsessed with studying and emulating humanity. Emil's the only living human and the network eventually realizes that he's not exactly normal. So, besides Emil, the androids are the only living remnants of humanity for it to study. So it cycles between bringing the androids to the brink of extinction and then holding back so they could rebuild. Thus the androids can't possibly lose. The machine network isn't actually trying to win. The android higher-ups eventually discover this and choose to hide it from the other androids. Thus Jackass being pissed when she finds out.

Of course, Eve derails the network's plan when he actually does try to drive the androids to extinction in his grief. So by killing Eve, 2B/9S actually cause the network to be relieved.

so if the machines are just tinpot 40K Orks, what's up with building a space cannon? My first thought when I got to the D ending was "oh goodie, we're going to inflict this bullshit on a whole new alien race :v:"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

...! posted:

And that's because the machines have the capability to completely annihilate the androids at any time but they choose not to. The machine network was designed to fight the androids and has discovered that it values the fight itself more than it values victory. It would lose its sense of purpose if the androids were wiped out.

Plus it's obsessed with studying and emulating humanity. Emil's the only living human and the network eventually realizes that he's not exactly normal. So, besides Emil, the androids are the only living remnants of humanity for it to study. So it cycles between bringing the androids to the brink of extinction and then holding back so they could rebuild. Thus the androids can't possibly lose. The machine network isn't actually trying to win. The android higher-ups eventually discover this and choose to hide it from the other androids. Thus Jackass being pissed when she finds out.

Of course, Eve derails the network's plan when he actually does try to drive the androids to extinction in his grief. So by killing Eve, 2B/9S actually cause the network to be relieved.

I'd think Jackass is also pissed, very pissed because

The Commander died for nothing.

See, Commander White and Jackass, they go way back. Unlike the rest of YoRHa, White was a resistance soldier first, and left to give the androids hope of victory.

Having the best, kindest person she knew get killed just to amuse some machine... yeah. I can see why she'd take it badly.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Bug Squash posted:

If you're willing to pick it up on PC the Mouse and Keyboard controls make it much easier and it feels tons better than using a controller. You'll be headshotting robots in slowmo all the time.

Since I no longer use my PC for gaming (my disability causes me a lot of pain when sitting in a chair for too long), I haven't kept its graphic card up to date. Thus even using a Steam Link wouldn't be a good experience.

I agree that FPS games are easier with mouse/keyboard (it took me a loooooooooong time to get used to using a controller for them) but I've always found third person action games to be easier with a controller, even on my PC.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

SirPhoebos posted:

What is the explanation for why Earth stopped rotating, and how this hasn't turned the sun-locked side into a scorching desert?

A wizard dead goddess did it, I think.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh that's an easy one: magic.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SirPhoebos posted:

so if the machines are just tinpot 40K Orks, what's up with building a space cannon? My first thought when I got to the D ending was "oh goodie, we're going to inflict this bullshit on a whole new alien race :v:"

The original plan was to blow up the moon server to cause the androids to lose hope and make them easier to manage, but the events of A/B/C end up convincing the network that what they were doing to the androids was wrong, so they turn the payload into an ark to leave and forge their own existence. I think actually the moment of realization here is after A2 causes the terminal personalities to start fighting each other. It takes them down from their high horse of thinking themselves superior because of the network.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
With only the two original perspectives in the Red Girls, there's not much wiggle room for alternative theories. With the extra copies they spawned while A2 fought them, the more and more slightly different each copy had until there was too much difference for them to agree on the original path. Hence the in-fighting until a new consensus was born with the ark project.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm having some difficulty getting a handle on 9S's combos. With 2B I was all about the small sword, but nothing really feels right to me with 9S. What weapons do people use with him?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm having some difficulty getting a handle on 9S's combos. With 2B I was all about the small sword, but nothing really feels right to me with 9S. What weapons do people use with him?

The hacking function. 9S isn't a combat model, and arguably to a fault, that's reflected in how much worse he feels to play than 2B.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Use spear or combat bracers and just use throw attack you do when you hold light attack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

...! posted:

It's more like idiotic phrasing of orders by the aliens who ordered the machines to fight the androids, not to defeat the androids

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It took me forever to realize to use the right stick on the controls for hacking mode. Not until the hacking dungeon of playthrough C did I realize that. Once I learned that, hacking actually became a lot of fun and not a huge pain in the rear end.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

It took me forever to realize to use the right stick on the controls for hacking mode. Not until the hacking dungeon of playthrough C did I realize that. Once I learned that, hacking actually became a lot of fun and not a huge pain in the rear end.

:prepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Similarly, I spent the entirety of Route A not realizing that the flight unit has a melee button that clears away bullets.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Similarly, I spent the entirety of Route A not realizing that the flight unit has a melee button that clears away bullets.

I finished route e.

I didnt know this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Push all the buttons when you play video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure it tells you about the melee attack during the tutorial, I didn't realise changing your pod changed your bullets during the shumup bits until halfway through route B though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 1, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It tells you about light/heavy attacks in the first tutorial, yeah. It doesn't say that they can both break all orbs, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just discovered that you can use the pod switch buttons during flight mode segments to shoot lasers/missiles.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah when I played as 9S I used Spears mostly, because I figured they fit the best and have the most useful throw attack. Also there's a specific spear that I like a lot for it's bonus effect, Spear of the Usurper feels right for him

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's more like idiotic phrasing of orders by the aliens who ordered the machines to fight the androids, not to defeat the androids
This isn't the case:
The Machines' orders WERE to defeat the enemy, but if they defeat the enemy, they have no more purpose to exist, despite already becoming self-aware and overthrowing their creators. Fulfilling their programming would also present a contradiction, as they could no longer defeat an enemy that was dead. So they extend their crusade into infinity, so that they can never violate their prime directive. This is basically the same thing the androids are doing - their prime directive is to care for humanity, which is now impossible, so it's caused a catastrophic existential logic loop.
It's seriously some Asimov poo poo. Nier is legit quality sci-fi.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like the irony of the whole situation. It gives a real good sense of existential dread.
The androids' entire MO is "we're different from the machines" but the game demolishes that bit by bit and by the end it's revealed to you that actually the only difference including the parts they are made of is that the machines don't look like humans.

Basically everything you're told about them is revealed to be a mistruth told to androids by other androids. You're told they don't think, but they do. You're told they don't have free will, but they do. You're told they don't feel, and they don't, but they're programmed to just like the androids are.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 1, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Automata is really at its best when it's an exploration on the psyche of a sentient being designed for a specific purpose facing the inherent purposelessness of life. I feel the individual story beats are just props for driving the themes and it's actually nice that it went that route to stand on its own compared to the first game that focused on exploring the characters first and foremost

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like that the androids are totally unable to grasp the concept of not having an explicit purpose. I think a lot of people feel that way, the encroaching dread of having to shrug and say "well, now what". Yoko Taro is good at touching on some very base human properties in his games, OG Nier was good about that too regarding exploring the sense of self. Drakengard also is very good at making you sympathize with totally unlikable people.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

CJacobs posted:

I really like the irony of the whole situation. It gives a real good sense of existential dread.
The androids' entire MO is "we're different from the machines" but the game demolishes that bit by bit and by the end it's revealed to you that actually the only difference including the parts they are made of is that the machines don't look like humans.

Basically everything you're told about them is revealed to be a mistruth told to androids by other androids. You're told they don't think, but they do. You're told they don't have free will, but they do. You're told they don't feel, and they don't, but they're programmed to just like the androids are.

Hell, the Machines not looking like humans might not even be relevant. The last remaining human is Emil, and the Machines look more like him - either because the aliens based them on him, or they're actually reverse-engineered Emil clones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reveal that android black boxes are made out of machine cores was pretty brutal because being made of different stuff really was the last remaining difference between the two factions at that point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The reveal that android black boxes are made out of machine cores was pretty brutal because being made of different stuff really was the last remaining difference between the two factions at that point.
You mean that YoRHa black boxes are made out of them. Non-YoRHa androids don't have black boxes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well, to be fair...

Those are only YoRHa black boxes. Regular androids don't have them. Which makes it worse for Nines.

There are Androids, the children of humanity, built as caretakers and protectors by a species that, for all its faults and foibles, was quite remarkable. And there are Machines, creations of idiot-savants from beyond the stars designed only to kill.

His whole life was built on the assumption that he and the rest of YoRHa were androids, humanity's most enduring triumph and a monument to its final failures. Only it turned out he was one of the machines he hated, built so that real androids wouldn't die in his place.

Slightly different.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zereth posted:

You mean that YoRHa black boxes are made out of them. Non-YoRHa androids don't have black boxes.

YoRHa and the machines are the two main factions. The resistance exists but is never really super important to the overall story outside of Anemone and her relationship with A2.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

CJacobs posted:

I thought this plus the part where the red girl starts fighting herself after multiplying too much were really interesting. The machines (and yorha since they are the same) spend all their time trying to be more human, and little do they know that they succeeded in a lot of ways; one being our tendency to divide ourselves and demonize the "other" side.

It's also funny that 9S is extremely certain that he is superior to (and so more human than) a machine, which is itself very human-like behavior. And then you have the red girl who thinks the same way: that she is a highly evolved superior being. So is it the more human you are, the more arrogant you become? Or is it the more arrogant you are, the more human you become? It's like a positive feedback loop. I like to think that the pods gradually gained free will through a loop like this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm annoyed that I missed the Type 4-0 sword and now can't get it until the end of the game. It's cool looking.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Saagonsa posted:

YoRHa and the machines are the two main factions. The resistance exists but is never really super important to the overall story outside of Anemone and her relationship with A2.

That's not the point Zereth is making, at all.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Saagonsa posted:

It doesn't change the fact that 9S thinks that him and other YoRHa androids are fundamentally the same as the resistance androids, except for special combat features like the black box. The reality is that Adam's cliched "we're not so different, you and I" line was pretty much the truth. 9S is just a machine that was built to fight and die just to perpetuate a lie for the sake of the real androids.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The machine core item icon is a sphere with a chunk blasted off.

Inside is a cube.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Ending E question: So I got to the shooter section of ending E and couldn't beat it, and had to put the game down for like two months. As far as I know though, you get the option to delete your save, but there are sidequests that I haven't figured out how to get. Can you actually do everything before doing ending E?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Ending E answer: the save thing happens just after ending E. You can say no after getting E.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Ending E discussion: You miss out on a small bit of the ending if you don't delete the save file iirc

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
More E spoilers: There aren't any additional story cutscenes if you make the sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Nier Atomato is a good game