Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well at least he's not doing anything Star wars related. KOTOR was a fluke as far as I'm concerned and TOR is junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

NikkolasKing posted:

https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/880606301050421248

Couldn't care less about any of this apart from the part where he smashed the tiny light of hope in me for Jade Empire 2.

Why is Jade Empire the only one with a trademark symbol next to it? :tinfoil:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Why is Jade Empire the only one with a trademark symbol next to it? :tinfoil:

Because apparently his phone auto corrected?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Man, even Dragon Age 2 got DLC and a sequel that rebounded the image of the series. The Ryder family killed Mass Effect completely dead.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Bit of a shame. I thought Andromeda was merely an okay game - a hell of a letdown, but not literally Satan like this thread likes to go on about.

Then again, I was in the camp that thought Andromeda was a game that never needed to be made in the first place. The Mass Effect story is over, well done. Go do something new.

I don't think it's satan, but even accounting for management mistakes it's a game that is lazy and uninspired to its core that completely sqaunders its premise

I like to compare this to Final Fantasy XV because they're both ARPGs with very troubled development that was released in shambles at around the same time.

The big difference is that FFXV aimed high and fell way short because of time and money constraints. There are elements and set pieces of of the game that took my breath away and alot of things that were innovative and absolutely worked. If FFXV had a few more years to integrate all the plot and character development that was cut for time it could've easily been one of the best FFs ever.

MEA couldn't be good with the current story and setting with even 5 more years. Everything is either unimaginative, or a rehash, or extremely contrived.

I honestly put it down to complete creative cowardliness. They were so afraid of new ideas that it completely boned the game. A game air exploring the unknown.

I don't think I once felt a moment of awe playing MEA. Whereas I'll always remember the geography of FFXV and some of the setpiece fights because how well they were done.

MEA is not satan. It's a burger king whooper where they add liquid smoke to the patty so they don't have to actually flame grill it.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 1, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The Ryder family Mac Walters killed Mass Effect completely dead, twice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda amazing how they took the kind of 'audience is really eager to explore more of your IP!' success they had in 1 and 2 and decided the smart thing to do was blow the whole thing up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Night10194 posted:

It's kinda amazing how they took the kind of 'audience is really eager to explore more of your IP!' success they had in 1 and 2 and decided the smart thing to do was blow the whole thing up.

It was art, they're artists.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Paul Zuvella posted:

They literally cannot do that because it opens up the giant can of worms that the endings create, and picking a single ending alienates a ton of fans.
Honestly I think most fans would be fine with either Destroy or Control if it meant a quality game (Synthesis is dumb enough to be divisive still)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Arcsquad12 posted:

quote:

The Ryder family Mac Walters killed Mass Effect completely dead, twice.

Rule # 2. The Double Tap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

There's no picking the series up. It's not happening. Bioware is making Destiny games now. From the publisher perspective making Mass Effect would be a step back. There's a possibility for the franchise to be given to another studio but lol good luck with that, they wouldn't get Bioware budget.

This the undeniable truth but I'm sure the hardcore holdout fans living in denial will still argue black and blue there is another mass effect coming one day.

In 20 years time they'll still be arguing it long after the ghosts of Bioware and Bullfrog are singing and dancing around a campfire.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was art, they're artists.

High art. Anyone who disagreed was a philistine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

DancingShade posted:

This the undeniable truth but I'm sure the hardcore holdout fans living in denial will still argue black and blue there is another mass effect coming one day.

I mean, maybe there will be a Half-Life 3 some day, too.

If this game reinforced anything, it's that some legacies can't just be half-assed. If they are going to be failures, they should at least be interesting failures. Making it an extremely buggy and shoddily-written version of an open world with a mobile phone game's focus on meaningless tasks is actually kind of insulting, when I dwell on it. That I fell for it and preordered this game makes me a sucker, yes. But I'm glad EA is getting punished for it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

DancingShade posted:

They don't even believe that the plug has really been pulled on this game. The articles saying that the studio has been gutted and that there's nobody working on DLC or a sequel anymore are fake, and they're gonna drop a sick DLC out of nowhere that's going to save the game and Mass Effect's reputation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They don't even believe that the plug has really been pulled on this game. The articles saying that the studio has been gutted and that there's nobody working on DLC or a sequel anymore are fake, and they're gonna drop a sick DLC out of nowhere that's going to save the game and Mass Effect's reputation.

Mass Effect Andromeda 2 will be dropped off by a flying unicorn soaring on a rainbow as it constantly farts glitter.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I don't think I could be arsed to play any DLC for this even if they gave it away for free tbh.
Which they won't because this game killed Mass Effect and it's not coming back.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm used to seeing hyperbole in these forums and especially in this thread, but man, they sure did kill mass effect.

can't wait to see how bioware's next bad game will turn out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Helith posted:

I don't think I could be arsed to play any DLC for this even if they gave it away for free tbh.
Which they won't because this game killed Mass Effect and it's not coming back.

TBF the DLC for ME3 was pretty solid. Omega wasn't great but it certainly wasn't awful. I doubt they are sitting on something the caliber of Lair of the Shadow Broker or Citadel, but even something up to Leviathan or even Overlord standards would at least give some hope that they've learned something from this mess.

Dragon Age 2 was well-hated and they managed to salvage the franchise with Inquisition which is a pretty solid game as long as you aren't a completionist, in which case you'll be hating life playing Witcher 3 anyway as you traverse the oceans of Skellige for all those sunken treasures and have an Excel sheet to make sure you didn't miss some obscure quest trigger.

While I haven't played ME:A, I think they tried to do something similar to DA:I where they threw in way, way more quests than would be humanly expected of you to complete, and figured you'd do them while they were fun and then just jump back on the main quest once you got tired of them. In DA:I you can pick side story missions, dungeon crawls, attacking the rifts, or do boring fetch quests and still be way overleveled, they clearly didn't expect people to do the whole thing. Is ME:A better if you avoid the side content you don't like?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The issue with ignoring the side quests is the main story is pretty poo poo too.

Filler aside, at least the main story in DA:I was pretty solid and had much better characters to work with.

Imagine the main quest of DA:I having the same low polish and forgettable everything as the side quests. That's Andromeda.

Boy is Anthem sounding promising. They're on the record as phoning in any efforts at lore :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JW16MpNS0

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Bit of a shame. I thought Andromeda was merely an okay game - a hell of a letdown, but not literally Satan like this thread likes to go on about.

People like you don't understand that the biggest sin is wasted potential. We all wanted this game to be amazing, the hints of the possibility are still there in the final product, but mediocrity is not something to be celebrated when the previous installments were great.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DancingShade posted:

Boy is Anthem sounding promising. They're on the record as phoning in any efforts at lore :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JW16MpNS0

Someone described it as looking like the prettiest boring game of 2018 and I'd be shocked if it doesn't turn out that way

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

Someone described it as looking like the prettiest boring game of 2018 and I'd be shocked if it doesn't turn out that way

I think the comparisons to Destiny are obvious but wrong - bear with me a moment.

It's actually Bioware's version of Defiance by Trion Worlds, whether they realize it or not.

No? It's a third person open world shooter with poo poo lore, looks vaguely pretty but nothing to do but endless bland shootmans where every combat encounter is basically identical.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
why is bioware making a Destiny clone?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DancingShade posted:

I think the comparisons to Destiny are obvious but wrong - bear with me a moment.

It's actually Bioware's version of Defiance by Trion Worlds, whether they realize it or not.

No? It's a third person open world shooter with poo poo lore, looks vaguely pretty but nothing to do but endless bland shootmans where every combat encounter is basically identical.

As opposed to Destiny being first person.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

As opposed to Destiny being first person.

I actually never played Destiny and just assumed it was first person because it was made by "those Halo people".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

People like you don't understand that the biggest sin is wasted potential. We all wanted this game to be amazing, the hints of the possibility are still there in the final product, but mediocrity is not something to be celebrated when the previous installments were great.

I'm not celebrating Andromeda. I'm saying it's an okay game that's a massive disappointment but this thread tends to act like it personally killed their dog.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Moola posted:

why is bioware making a Destiny clone?

GAMES AS SERVICES are the big money makers atm.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
no but why are BIOWARE making it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DancingShade posted:

I actually never played Destiny and just assumed it was first person because it was made by "those Halo people".

It is, I was saying the only difference is Destiny is first person, Anthem will be third person.

Also, Anthem might use words other than 'amazing', 'incredible' and 'The Proper Noun', maybe. Jury's out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Moola posted:

They're the natural candidates at EA. Experience in world building, in increasingly action oriented RPGs, in increasingly bigger worlds. Experience in creating an actual MMO.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Moola posted:

Chasing trends a couple years too late seems to be their thing lately.

My guess is Anthem will drop at the same time as a new Destiny 2 expansion and just get crushed, Battleborne style

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Let's not forget that wasn't Andromeda at one point chasing No Man's Sky? And then No Man's Sky happened.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Let's not forget that wasn't Andromeda at one point chasing No Man's Sky? And then No Man's Sky happened.

They were pursuing the same idea as No Man's Sky before either game was announced, and Andromeda dropped it before No Man's Sky was released because they realized they couldn't make it fun.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
get tthis, heheehaha;.... rear end EFFECT ahhaha hahehehe

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

They were pursuing the same idea as No Man's Sky before either game was announced, and Andromeda dropped it before No Man's Sky was released because they realized they couldn't make it fun.

turns out they couldnt make anything fun! :haw:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drack belongs in a better game

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Drack will never be in another game

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's go back to arguing about sausage.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I got a sausage you can argue about

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

WampaLord posted:

Actually a lot of them were bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
your bad