Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm glad I don't go to gamestops anymore, I'm afraid of an employee looking me in the eyes and discovering my sadness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

here the gamespot employees won't take no for an answer and just repeat the script over and over until you buy something or walk out. the upsells are so important that they don't even think twice about losing a sale over it, i assume because of ultradickhead management.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
maybe they can tell youre a mark

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i've never traded anything in to gamestop because if i trade in a game i won't have that game anymore

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i've never traded anything in to gamestop because if i trade in a game i won't have that game anymore

you've never bought a lovely game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You should never be allowed to trade in lovely games as a lesson to your future self.

I've only ever sold games I could get a bunch of money for.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

yeah seriously i bought the switch from a gamestop and it was like a 5 minute spiel, even with my 'no thanks' again and again

HERES THE BOOK OF FUTURE GAMES TO PRE-ORDER, no please look at it

do you want a screen protector here's a bunch of accessories. want some accessories

how about a game. gotta get a game with your switch, look they're over there

what warranty would you like? we have multiple i guess

any other systems you want to buy?

like. it was loving neverending. i would never want to work at a place like that

I used to work at Staples once upon a time, and that's literally what happens when you sell a computer.

Basically; your numbers are tracked and heavily scrutinized. If you just sell a computer with no "attachments" your numbers got screwed which earned you a "talking to" from management. 3 warnings and you were done. Every week was a struggle to keep your lovely job, and it wasn't uncommon to have managers eavesdrop on your customer interactions to make sure you're peddling overpriced garbage and following the script.

Attachments were really just anything you could paste onto the sale. Printers, thumb drivers, software were common attachments, but anything the customer buys with the laptop counts. Above all else you were to push the "protection plans" and you were chastised for daring to call them wtf they were; Warranties. poo poo warranties that vanished the moment you went to use it. I was the "HEAD EASY TECH (tm)" of a store, my customer service skills were great and I was frequently asked for; but I was removed from my position because I was honest with customers in suggesting attachments based on the conversation I had with them during the sale and not a script.

I imagine selling just systems is a similar pitfall for these guys. Much like Laptops Gamestop probably loses money on selling systems alone, and needs to push pro memberships and attachments to keep their overlords happy.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Kid Icarus: Uprising owned super hard. They should make another one, and, hear me out, put it on... the switch!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kid Icarus Uprising Deluxe

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

katkillad2 posted:

Gamestop: "Would you be interested in our protection plan on your game for $3 dollars? If anything happens to it you can get a replacement."
Me: "No thanks."

Dizz posted:

"You sure? you never know when something bad happens and if you have this we have your back no matter what"

"nah dude im sure, also I don't have extra money for that"

"you wanna preorder the new madden game?"

This literally never happens and here's why.

Employee: And with the $3.00 protection plan, your total comes to $64.19! :D :D :D
You: Huh? Yeah, OK, sure. *swipes card*

Source: My 82% attach rate on our protection plan. Part of why I quit.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The only time i hosed up a disc was WWE 07 when,I moved the Xbox 360 from horizontal to vertical. It was a rental so we just returned that poo poo and claimed it was already broken.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Is anybody else frustrated the eShop doesn't have a shopping cart? I have ten games on my wishlist. I don't want to purchase them one by one. Then it seems like I'm spending less money and I might buy more at a time than I can afford.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Nintendo needs to Switch the eShop from bad to good

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

A new eshop would be Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. On the switch? ~Peerrfect~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Imagined posted:

Any time a media executive pitches something like "It's ________ but dark and edgy!" they should have a jumper cable hooked to their gonads* and be shocked until they swear to never do it again. See: Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Superman, Sonic the Hedgehog, James Bond, GI Joe, Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Snowboard Kids, Devil May Cry, et loving al.

*edit: must be fair to all genders

Counterpoint:

Bomberman (NES) plot posted:

Bomberman is a robot engaged in the production of bombs. Like his fellow robots, he had been put to work in an underground compound by evil forces. Bomberman found it to be an unbearably dreary existence. One day, he heard an encouraging rumor. According to the rumor, any robot that could escape the underground compound and make it to the surface could become human. Bomberman leaped at the opportunity, but escape proved to be no small task. Alerted to Bomberman's betrayal, large numbers of the enemy set out in pursuit. Bomberman can rely only on bombs of his own production for his defense. Will he ever make it up to the surface? Once there, will he really become human?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

GameStop can be pretty awful at times with their add-on protection plan but there's a really simple way to avoid that, and that's by going to Best Buy and having their geek squad come out to install your game professionally. Just look for the sticker, brought to you by the guy that used to work at Blockbuster putting 'be kind, rewind' stickers on the DVD cases.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night Blade posted:

I used to work at Staples once upon a time [...]

Oh god you're giving me bad job PTSD. I worked at a Staples too... for four months. Our store had the best attach rate and numbers in our region by a HUGE margin and the store manager still rode us about them like we were in the Kentucky loving Derby. Fuuuuuuuuuuck Staples.

Oh and this same peice-of-poo poo store manager made sure that the NES, sixteen games, and R.O.B. that some idiot brought in for "recycling" actually got destroyed. I loving hate that man.

I will say it was kinda cool knowing that the Nexus 7 was real because we had a dozen of them in the storeroom for two weeks before Google officially announced them. I only sold one after launch, though, and the guy came back the next day to return it for a Kindle Fire. gently caress Staples customers, too.

[Edit: I just remembered the time that I had clocked out and was literally walking out the door when the Store Manager called in for me.

"lelandjs, x employee is running late and I need you to stay for a few hours."

"...My shift ended ten minutes ago and I'm literally walking out the door."

"You don't understand, I'm telling you to stay late."

"You don't understand, I'm already clocked out and on my way out."

"You know, your attitude..."

"If you're gonna fire me, loving fire me." And I handed the phone back to my shocked coworker.

Assclown manger didn't fire me and I worked there for two more weeks before I decided that I hated it there enough to bail. Walked out mid-shift, haven't been inside a Staples since.]

[Edit edit: In those two weeks before I quit there was the Black Thursday that... wasn't. Assclown store manager made the entire staff be in at 2AM in the morning for a 4AM open. Four people were in line, and they were all people that had stopped in earlier in the week to check out computers and then asked if the computers would be in sale on Black Friday. None of them bought protection plans. Went home at 6AM and immediately started drinking. I ended up commenting on my estranged cousin's Facebook post about something or another while shitfaced and got myself invited to their Thanksgiving and reconnecting with my biological father. So that was good, I guess.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 1, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there any sort of Internet multi-player on the Switch?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there any sort of Internet multi-player on the Switch?

Yes and judging by ARMS it's surprisingly good.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

With the online mode, the $20 a year one, can you co-op with the classic games?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

My magic 8-ball says 'Maybe, I'm not sure, ask again in 2018'.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm getting a Switch today :getin:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mons Hubris posted:

W... eh... what?!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just to confirm, can I stream Super Mario World off my PC onto the Switch? :v:

Like.. this kinda does what I want with homebrewing the Switch.. except I'd have to be in my house to play emulators.. so.. that's kinda cool and not cool at the same time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Quest For Glory II posted:

yeah seriously i bought the switch from a gamestop and it was like a 5 minute spiel, even with my 'no thanks' again and again

HERES THE BOOK OF FUTURE GAMES TO PRE-ORDER, no please look at it

do you want a screen protector here's a bunch of accessories. want some accessories

how about a game. gotta get a game with your switch, look they're over there

what warranty would you like? we have multiple i guess

any other systems you want to buy?

like. it was loving neverending. i would never want to work at a place like that

Night Blade posted:

Basically; your numbers are tracked and heavily scrutinized. If you just sell a computer with no "attachments" your numbers got screwed which earned you a "talking to" from management. 3 warnings and you were done. Every week was a struggle to keep your lovely job, and it wasn't uncommon to have managers eavesdrop on your customer interactions to make sure you're peddling overpriced garbage and following the script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9qgEQdhQ0

The funny part is that this was pretty close to when I bought a new PS4 at a gamestop too.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

If only I had waited four months, I could've gotten a Neon Switch for €270 today.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

http://i.imgur.com/dYdZT2H.mp4

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Healbot posted:

If only I had waited four months, I could've gotten a Neon Switch for €270 today.

:eyepop: what how where

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

A local department store chain is having a 20% off on toys and games today in Germany. So you're probably out of luck.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Cute switch pitch images.

Peek here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whoooooooooooooooolllllllllleeeee buncha games coming on the 6th, according to the Aussie eShop

Implosion - $15.60AUD
Vaccine - $13.00
Shephy - $6.50
De Mambo - $15.99
I and Me - $13.00
Metal Slug 2 - $9.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q99OHM62Wwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnkSENkIP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXpteQKueghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-IBbD93TKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hULFVRqnUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bSg_yF78Uc

Implosion and Vaccine might be alright?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Infinitum posted:

Whoooooooooooooooolllllllllleeeee buncha games coming on the 6th, according to the Aussie eShop

Implosion - $15.60AUD
Vaccine - $13.00
Shephy - $6.50
De Mambo - $15.99
I and Me - $13.00
Metal Slug 2 - $9.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q99OHM62Wwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnkSENkIP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXpteQKueghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-IBbD93TKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hULFVRqnUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bSg_yF78Uc

Implosion and Vaccine might be alright?

And just like that, the age of shovelware descended upon the Switch, a perfect platform. Perfect.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9CfKba3gdQ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

And just like that, the age of shovelware descended upon the Switch, a perfect platform. Perfect.

PERFECT FOR SHOVELWARE BECAUSE IT'S A GARBAGE CONSOLE

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i got paid 10 dollars an hour to fix computers at staples when i was in high school and it was the loving worst

i quit when a friend that had a job at mcdonalds was getting paid more than me

thats my staple story. switch is good

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
$9.10 is a stupid price for anything

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey guys. Working retail blows. I also worked at staples in my youth. Retail is loving trash and I'm sorry anyone has to do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hi guys I love my Switch and I love playing both BOTW and Mario Kart on it. Those are the only games I have right now but I enjoy them both and want for naught.

Thanks for listening friends.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man Vaccine looks like it's literally using ripped off Resident Evil 1 assets. I might be interested if it wasn't yet another indie roguelite. I know that's easier than actually designing levels but c'mon guys seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
All of those games look incredibly bad.

• Locked thread