Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Barry posted:

Figure at least 30 minutes of eating/showering, you're getting a max of 5.5 hours of sleep a night. Could you imagine trying to do a 4.5 hour drive after 5.5 hours of sleep 5 days a week, and then again in the evening? It's a miracle they're still alive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6kglnm/fiance_has_been_paying_600_a_month_for_critical/

lol wtf

What lovely critical illness cover is this? Especially this weird "if you keep paying and don't die you get it all back!" nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

What lovely critical illness cover is this? Especially this weird "if you keep paying and don't die you get it all back!" nonsense.

It is obviously some form of whole life policy

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
In what literally defines "BWL" in pursuit of the most BWM of financial strategies (Youtube stardom) I give you this horrifying story:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/in-attempt-to-achieve-youtube-stardom-woman-accidentally-kills-her-boyfriend/

quote:

According to court documents, Monalisa Perez called 911 on June 26 at around 6:30pm local time to say that she had shot Pedro Ruiz III. The two had set up two video cameras to capture Perez firing the gun at Ruiz while he held a book in front of his chest. Ruiz apparently convinced Perez that the book would stop the bullet from a foot away. The gun, a Desert Eagle .50 caliber pistol, was not hindered by the book.

And a bit of gun-nut Counterstrike-ery on top.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Holy poo poo that crime scene must have been incredibly messy.

April
Jul 3, 2006

My music!!!!! :negative:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6kgvp4/i_have_760_to_my_name_right_now_and_am_unemployed/?st=j4k97gk4&sh=21cda43f

quote:

Hey there /r/personalfinance,
First thing, I'm not entirely unemployed. I am in grad school for music performance and have a Teaching Assistantship that comes with a stipend, but since we are not in the academic year right now that does me no good financially. I need to figure out how to get through the next two months until my stipend and student loans start coming to me.
Second, you may ask why I didn't get a Summer job. Well, that's because I have been busy doing great things with my music. One of the ensembles I play with was a finalist in a chamber music competition at the beginning of June. I was tied up for 10 days at that engagement. A different ensemble I play with was invited to perform at an international music festival, so I was out of the country for 10 days at the end of June, and the festival paid for all my meals and lodging. In short, I was almost unhire-able and also focused on other things this Summer, meaning a job hasn't really been an option. Neither of those events paid, but the benefits I received through them (meals/lodging/tuition) totaled $2500+.
Hopefully that's enough of a backstory, so let's get to the finances . . .
I have $0 I can take out of my savings, and $7.60 in my checking account. I have $50 of wiggle room on my $3000 limit credit card, and $50 free on my $500 reserve line of credit.
The driver's side power window broke on my car right before I left the country, so I paid $300 for a repair I wasn't expecting. I have a roommate who owes me $175 or so, and have $150 coming to me from one of my music ensembles. I'm also expecting my mom to deposit $100 into my checking account today, even though I HATED asking her for money. Never have been in this sort of a bind before.
Luckily my school offers a food pantry on a bi-weekly basis during the summer, so I can get loads of free food. But it probably won't cover every single one of my meals.
Sooo . . . Where do I go from here? Ideas to earn money, knowing I can't really be working a normal job during the school year that starts in a month and a half?
Thanks in advance for any advice, and feel free to ask more questions if that will help!

April
Jul 3, 2006

Rent is due EVERY MONTH, guys, help!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6kca8r/help_i_dont_know_how_to_save/?st=j4k9oydc&sh=3fffbb10

quote:

I haven't a clue how to save money, now it's more important than ever. I have a credit card that needs paying and rent due every month. My job can cover it, but I'm useless at saving money. I've tried leaving the card with my SO and only having set cash for the week. I tried to budget, but I'm useless at that too...any help would be amazing. Please help me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Eh, for a student that seems pretty typical, especially for a music performance major, finding paying music gigs is hard but you have to gain experience somehow. The maxed out credit cards are bad, though $3500 is not an unassailable mountain of debt by any means. You can make pretty good money teaching music in private lessons if you can get in to that, or just getting a part time minimum wage job would probably fix all of that in six months.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A musician having trouble paying bills? :monocle:
Now I've seen it all

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Donate plasma or start mowing lawns, it's less than two months.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

http://jalopnik.com/this-dealership-is-actually-offering-a-bad-credit-score-1796510782

Is you credit terrible?

Need a $55,000 truck?

Nows the time to get in!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
[California] Landlord stopped cashing our checks 10 years ago. We are interested in buying the property, what should we do?

quote:

So my parents have been renting this place for 28 years and going. We recently became interested in completely purchasing the property outright but there are weird circumstances.

About 10 or 11 years ago, the landlord stopped cashing our rent payment. We couldn't contact him at all but eventually received mail from the city government saying that the landlord owed money and that we were to pay the government directly. We instead send the checks to the landlord because we didn't know whether or not it was a scam. Absolutely nothing happened for two or three years so we eventually stop sending checks completely.

To this very day, we are still unable to contact the landlord and we also haven't send any checks for eight years now. How do we begin negotiations to buy the property out right? Will there be any sort of repercussion?

I'm now disabled so we remodeled the garage for accessibility. We were unable to contact the landlord but had no other choice than to do so. The house is becoming pretty rundown and we have made many repairs over the years like replacing carpets, water heaters, piping, paint, insulation etc.

If we express our interest in buying the property, will we be sent to collections for 10+ years of rent? Will we be sued? We are completely unfamiliar with the process.

The landlord is most likely in his 70s by now if he is still alive that is. A management company also seems to be paying the property tax every year but we don't know the name of that company. We acquired that information by asking the city.

Edit: I have been googling adverse possession laws but none seem to apply to this situation. We are completely unable to contact the landlord or his next of kin if there are any.

Edit 2: this is located in San Francisco County. The rent amount was negotiated quite a long time ago so the rough amount for 10 years would be only a little bit over $100,000. The current value on the property in this area is roughly 800 or 900,000. The house itself is in pretty below average condition. It's still livable but would need quite a lot of work if the landlord hypothetically wanted to put it on the market for sale.

Edit 3: since I seem to be getting a lot of hate and death threats, I just want to clarify. We have tried everything in our power back then to find the landlord. The old number was disconnected and the address we were mailing rent to was occupied by a new family who did not know anything about the previous resident. We went to this Old address about four months after the landlord stopped cashing our checks. We continued mailing the checks to the landlord for three years after he stopped depositing them. Afterwards there was simply no point because the new family contacted us telling us to stop. We have even contacted the police almost a decade ago regarding filing a missing persons report but after the initial contact from the police, nothing happened.

Please don't automatically assume we are the devils spawn. We are not.
BWM: Living in San Francisco rent-free and deciding you want to buy the house. BWL: Doing everything in your power to pay the landlord except giving money to the government agency that told you to.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ixian posted:

In what literally defines "BWL" in pursuit of the most BWM of financial strategies (Youtube stardom) I give you this horrifying story:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/in-attempt-to-achieve-youtube-stardom-woman-accidentally-kills-her-boyfriend/

It's like the gift of the magi.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I mean a bunch of dumb rich kids doing stupid poo poo with guns was like half of youtubes early success. It's not exactly unexpected that "omg 30k subs~~111! the dream can u imagine!!!" would lead to stupid stunts right? Google is fine making billions off of guns, just only as hilarious content!

I'm not even trying to make a coherent point, if that's not obvious. Just everyone is dumb.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Haifisch posted:

[California] Landlord stopped cashing our checks 10 years ago. We are interested in buying the property, what should we do?

BWM: Living in San Francisco rent-free and deciding you want to buy the house. BWL: Doing everything in your power to pay the landlord except giving money to the government agency that told you to.

What the hell??? It's so obvious. You don't tell anyone, you don't pay anyone, and you sure as poo poo don't call attention to it on the internet.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Haifisch posted:

Would they have squatter's rights over the property at this point?

Kind of insane to call attention to the situation though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I mean I get that the uncertainty would be pretty obnoxious for them, but talk about your unbelivable windfalls. Just save the balance somewhere generating (even modest) interest and keep your loving mouth shut.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think that taking advantage of your landlord becoming too senile to cash your checks is pretty clearly unethical. Or they are just best buds whatever.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think that taking advantage of your landlord becoming too senile to cash your checks is pretty clearly unethical. Or they are just best buds whatever.

From the post they have tried reaching the landlord and are unable to track him down.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Enfys posted:

Would they have squatter's rights over the property at this point?

Kind of insane to call attention to the situation though.

They're not squatters, they have a lease (which is probably month to month now since that is what happens with most leases if you don't do anything with them after the year-to-year ones expire.) They just haven't paid.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I dunno, doesn't that lease become void without any consideration, though?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Ixian posted:

I can't stop googling and reading every article about this. It's so nuts.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I can't stop googling and reading every article about this. It's so nuts.

I don't think "my favorite part" is appropriate to say about a story where someone lost their life, even if it was in the service of Darwin, but the many comments to the affect of "you assholes didn't print the whole story! The guy convinced her because he shot a test book first and it didn't go through!" as though it somehow mitigates anything that followed has me scratching my head for sure. That and weeping for humanity.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

They've gone way above and beyond trying to reach him. It's not all that clear that he is even alive. Him and his heirs would be strictly worse off in every sense if they "did the right thing" in your eyes and moved out and let the property rot.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Link to the Reddit post

when OP is asked about where the money saved on rent is, that they're supposedly going to use to put an offer on the house posted:

We have the money available. It's not as cash but still a very liquid form of investment. If needed we can liquidate that investment and get cash within 24 hours.

I'm getting more than a whiff of bitcoin here.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 1, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean a bunch of dumb rich kids doing stupid poo poo with guns was like half of youtubes early success. It's not exactly unexpected that "omg 30k subs~~111! the dream can u imagine!!!" would lead to stupid stunts right? Google is fine making billions off of guns, just only as hilarious content!

I'm not even trying to make a coherent point, if that's not obvious. Just everyone is dumb.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as part of the dumb or just ironic, but unless they quietly reversed it, YouTube disabled monetisation of channels about guns. I remember it got attention because it also demonetised some FPS streamer channels. So even if that idiotic poo poo worked, even if YouTube didn't take it down, they would never have made money off of it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ixian posted:

I don't think "my favorite part" is appropriate to say about a story where someone lost their life, even if it was in the service of Darwin, but the many comments to the affect of "you assholes didn't print the whole story! The guy convinced her because he shot a test book first and it didn't go through!" as though it somehow mitigates anything that followed has me scratching my head for sure. That and weeping for humanity.

I don't know, I mean if she was totally, completely clueless about guns and he had her convinced that a book could stop a bullet, it is still monumentally stupid but I could see someone with a cognitive delay or someone who was just really dumb and unable to assess risk doing it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ixian posted:

That's horrific on multiple levels.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Haifisch posted:

Wanna know what happened to that landlord.

Someone hire a private investigator.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Link to the Reddit post

It's prob gold or something. Some people keep tens of thousands of gold just because.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

So serious question here. How many people would be interested in doing a sort of BWM themed "Advice" book where we all take a specific chapter (investing, day trading, mortgages, etc) and write just the worst ideas we have about them and try to get it published by a reputable publisher under a pen name?

I think we are now at Chapter 4?

Chapter 4: Risk = Reward. Mining cryptocurrencies and asteroids.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Ixian posted:

The YouTube channel comments are amazing now. A mixture of cruel puns like "aim high you two!" and "really gunning for success with this YouTube channel" and poo poo, and people, amazingly, saying she was a good mom.

Maybe she was a caring mom, but doesn't really seem fit for parenthood.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Link to the Reddit post

I struggle to think of something else that fits the description besides cryptocurrency. Come to think of it I don't even think I could get cash out of my savings account in under 24 hours without going to a physical location.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Virtue posted:

I struggle to think of something else that fits the description besides cryptocurrency. Come to think of it I don't even think I could get cash out of my savings account in under 24 hours without going to a physical location.

It could be a CD, or or a money market mutual fund. But I bet it is iTunes gift cards.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Virtue posted:

Drugs. Probably faster to cash out than Bitcoin a lot of the time, tbh.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

NancyPants posted:

I dunno, doesn't that lease become void without any consideration, though?

No. They're in default of the lease by not paying each month. The consideration is paying rent. Failing to pay rent doesn't void the lease, but they could be evicted.

They've got a pretty good excuse though. They tried to perform under the lease. If they were my client I'd advise to pour each months rent into a savings account and be prepared to pay or move at any time once someone realizes the situation. I'd also hire a title company to do a title search and see who owns the property now.

It's a really interesting situation and I wish they weren't dumb internet people so I could find out the truth.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No. They're in default of the lease by not paying each month. The consideration is paying rent. Failing to pay rent doesn't void the lease, but they could be evicted.

They've got a pretty good excuse though. They tried to perform under the lease. If they were my client I'd advise to pour each months rent into a savings account and be prepared to pay or move at any time once someone realizes the situation. I'd also hire a title company to do a title search and see who owns the property now.

It's a really interesting situation and I wish they weren't dumb internet people so I could find out the truth.

If that post is to be taken at face value they have zero proof they've tried to do anything. "Mailed off checks and no one ever cashed them". They just disappeared into the ether according to them. Other that check carbons (which will be worthless) the only thing they have to show they tried to perform according to the original lease is their word that they did so.

Weird loving situation that is for sure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There has to be a statue of limitations on some of the rent owed. I'm not sure if the IRS can come back on 10 year old debt, so Johnny Beneficiary isn't going to collect on at least half of this rent.

If they really have been banking this money, they may be able settle for pennies on the dollar. Especially if the beneficiary finds out back taxes are owed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Virtue posted:

Like, shares of index funds or any stock or whatever? I'm sure some brokers issue atm cards so you can get cash out quickly but I doubt all of them do.

Like, not everyone is lying about everything, dismissing the possibility that the "very liquid investment" is indeed a very liquid investment is a little hasty.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 1, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Like, not everyone is lying about everything, dismissing the possibility that the "very liquid investment" is indeed a very liquid investment is a little hasty.

Nobody here has said everyone. But you take these things in context: people in this situation who also post about it on the interwebs while being cagy about details......that's where my and several other poster's seemingly logical suspicion comes from. That suspicion includes the whole post being a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Underage nephew used my mother's card to buy $3,000 worth of stuff on Amazon.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6kg58s/tx_underage_nephew_used_my_mothers_card_to_buy/ posted:

Hi! A couple weeks ago my mom noticed money going to amazon on her bank statements. The bank and Amazon were notified and she proved that it wasn't her making false claims so she was refunded the money. Well yesterday I got on Amazon on my work computer (family business) noticed that my nephew logged in sometime this month into his account. Nephew spawn is fourteen with no credit/bank card so absolutely no need for him to have a prime account. I started looking at his purchase history and of course it was him using my mom's card. Spawn has his real name, phone number, used my brother's, his mother's and maternal grandparents address for delivery. Now my family doesn't think anything is going to happened to him because she was already refunded the money but my understanding is Amazon still has a open investigation. He was buying ridiculously expensive toys with the most expensive being $937 for a phone which makes me think Amazon is not just going to let this go.

Will he have legal consequences even if my mom refuses to file a police report?

Turns out the family all knew about the toys he bought and let him play with them.

The pro-reply:

quote:

Hi! I'm a former VISA debit/credit card fraud specialist. You are correct. OPs mom is currently within the provisional credit period which under Reg E is 45 days. During this time the bank will be working with Amazon to find out if this is a true fraud or not. Amazon is super awesome with their responses to fraud claims and will provide just about every shred of info (originating IP, billing/sending addresses on file etc. ). We had a similar case where mom was aware the daughter had committed the fraud, had ordered the items, received the items, and had no intentions of returning the items. She refused to file a police report or file charges. When we explained what we had learned (and what she admitted to in interviews) we took back the provisional credit, returned credits to Amazon, closed her replacement card, and have her 30 day notice we were closing all her accounts affiliated with us due to defrauding the institution. This also includes notes on her in the federal banking systems that shows she attempted to defraud our institution so whenever she attempts to open another account it will show when the CSR at that institution checks her name in the systems. That can prevent her from being able to open another bank account at numerous places around the country. We reported our findings to Amazon who in turn closed her accounts and all accounts related to hers. So, there's that, too.