Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, it dawn on anyone else that there is a likely chance that DBS might go from "Freeza Returns From The Dead" to "Alternate Universe Freeza Is A Bit Villain In This Story Arc" to "Freeza Comes Back Again And Teams Up with AU Freeza" to "Another Freeza Specific Storyline."? Like, they're hinting at Freeza surviving this arc since that's his goal. If he makes it through, we might have another storyline with Freeza as the main villain. That just dawned on me and I don't know if I'm okay with that.

Anyhoo, I'm glad they finally establishing how a God of Destrustions "destroy" power works. Anything destroyed with their "Energy of Destruction" is utterly gone, not even sent to the Afterlife. Really does drive home what it means if Zen-Oh sama goes through with his poo poo, ya know? I mean, can the Super Dragon Balls unerase all those universe? I thought that might be where Goku is going with this, his big reverse to remind us he's a good guy and, hey, it's a story so it works, but it also makes it hyper grim if they don't somehow stop all those universes from vanishing. It wouldn't be normal DB death.

Also, this means Zamasu is the only villain to be ever, truly destroyed in the DB series so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kibito is the kindly racist grandpa who never ceased to be surprised by those dirty poo poo worthless ningen, makes him proud to kaio

Zamasu is columbine

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Covok posted:

So, it dawn on anyone else

can't speak for anyone else but it seems poo poo blatant obvious to me they're setting Freiza up for some kind of deicide or hakai'ing (giving, not getting) or some poo poo for the penultimate arc of the story, I assume

also remember he has 24 hours of life, the excuse of energy blah blah, meaning after an hour tournament he has 23 hours to do bullshit before a possible comedically timed pull back to hell or who knows

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How are people generally responding to DBS? Favorably or unfavorably?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm possibly the only person that would care about it in this thread but hey, DBS is getting a PT-BR dub with the original cast! The movies got one so it's not a MASSIVE surprise but it's cool news nevertheless. Also who knows maybe we could get a DBFZ dub too pleeeease?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Covok posted:

How are people generally responding to DBS? Favorably or unfavorably?

People who like Dragonball because it's pretty funny and not all serious fight times tend to like it. People who think DBZ is a bad-rear end fight manga, not as much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
People who like debating powerlevels have either dropped the show or weep tears of blood as they watch it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pureauthor posted:

People who like debating powerlevels have either dropped the show or weep tears of blood as they watch it.

Its seriously the best.

Also I will not abide people going 'Oh Cell wasn't that evil', dude loving drank people and openly boasted about his intent to destroy the earth if he won and tried to destroy it anyway when he lost because he's a whiny rear end in a top hat when things didn't go his way. When I was watching he felt more unpleasant than Frieza TBH.

If they did bring him back I'd only want it to be so that he can job to a more powerful villain or so that one of the androids gets the opportunity to kick his rear end.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

So, it dawn on anyone else that there is a likely chance that DBS might go from "Freeza Returns From The Dead" to "Alternate Universe Freeza Is A Bit Villain In This Story Arc" to "Freeza Comes Back Again And Teams Up with AU Freeza" to "Another Freeza Specific Storyline."? Like, they're hinting at Freeza surviving this arc since that's his goal. If he makes it through, we might have another storyline with Freeza as the main villain. That just dawned on me and I don't know if I'm okay with that.

I don't think that'll happen, even the guys in Super will probably agree that there's such a thing as too much Frieza. Personally, I suspect that Frieza might even get Hakai'd by the time the arc ends or if he survives he could even learn a bit of humility and stay the gently caress away from the Z fighters(the closest thing to a change of heart I think he's capable of, we won't see him babysitting Bulla anyway). Or he could just end up back in hell. In any event I doubt he'll be playing a significant villain role after the ToP again.

I also think there's a possibility that Frost might get some redemption and loving over Frieza might be how he gets there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

for a while I thought it was funny that 3 members of the universe 7 team have killed other members of the team, but then I realized that vegeta never actually killed any of goku's friends

nappa blew up a city and killed a bunch of earthlings but vegeta just kills nappa and maybe some saibamen. on namek he only kills freeza's henchmen and in the buu saga he kills some civilians. outside of that he's never in contention with goku or the other protagonists. really thought he did more damage than that.
wait vegeta kills himself doesn't he lmao

fake edit: tho all of them but roshi have actively tried to kill another member of their team (tien gave up on it pretty quick and the androids didn't really seem to care about goku on a personal level, but it was still a thing)

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 1, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Anyhoo, I'm glad they finally establishing how a God of Destrustions "destroy" power works. Anything destroyed with their "Energy of Destruction" is utterly gone, not even sent to the Afterlife. Really does drive home what it means if Zen-Oh sama goes through with his poo poo, ya know? I mean, can the Super Dragon Balls unerase all those universe? I thought that might be where Goku is going with this, his big reverse to remind us he's a good guy and, hey, it's a story so it works, but it also makes it hyper grim if they don't somehow stop all those universes from vanishing. It wouldn't be normal DB death.

Also, this means Zamasu is the only villain to be ever, truly destroyed in the DB series so far.

I noticed this with Zamasu himself. When Beerus Destroys him, he just disappears entirely, there's nothing left behind. We know that's not how a Kaioshin in their own realm should die, when the Elder killed himself to grant Goku life, he just got a halo. If Zamasu didn't go through the same it had to mean that Beerus didn't even leave the soul behind. And then he uses it on a ghost, as if to prove the point. Sidra was only the proper confirmation of something the series had made clear without outright stating.

I don't think a Destroyed person can be revived though. We've seen how reviving people works, it brings the soul back to the body (the original pre-Freeza, rebuilt post-Freeza). Without the soul, that's probably it for that person, there's no way whatsoever to come back. Zen-oh is not allowing the Super Dragon Balls to serve as a way to undo his erasing, probably.

Dias posted:

I'm possibly the only person that would care about it in this thread but hey, DBS is getting a PT-BR dub with the original cast! The movies got one so it's not a MASSIVE surprise but it's cool news nevertheless. Also who knows maybe we could get a DBFZ dub too pleeeease?

That's asking for too much. We'll never get game dubs, at least not official ones. Fans took the effort to translate Budokai Tenkaichi 3 to Latin American Spanish and goddamn that was awesome, but I can't imagine it ever happening for the actual games despite the importance of the fandoms here.

Saint Seiya's last game got that and it was amazing but it won't ever happen again and it saddens me.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think a Destroyed person can be revived though. We've seen how reviving people works, it brings the soul back to the body (the original pre-Freeza, rebuilt post-Freeza). Without the soul, that's probably it for that person, there's no way whatsoever to come back. Zen-oh is not allowing the Super Dragon Balls to serve as a way to undo his erasing, probably.

I actually come down on the other side of this one. Any wish implies any wish. There is a lot of interesting analysis to be done on the narrative inevitibilities of having wish granting in your story.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's asking for too much. We'll never get game dubs, at least not official ones. Fans took the effort to translate Budokai Tenkaichi 3 to Latin American Spanish and goddamn that was awesome, but I can't imagine it ever happening for the actual games despite the importance of the fandoms here.

Saint Seiya's last game got that and it was amazing but it won't ever happen again and it saddens me.

I think the Naruto games also have Latino/PT-BR dubs, but yeah, DBZ stuff never does localized voices even though people would eat it up in an instant. On the other hand, this IS a new developer and a new game type. On a third hand every time they do a PT-BR localization for a game, it seems to come from a Miami studio, and seeing that our Goku VA has his own studio...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My buddy is at some anime con in LA and he gets to interview the Dragonball VAs as part of his assignment for work

I'm super jealous

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Covok posted:

If he makes it through, we might have another storyline with Freeza as the main villain. That just dawned on me and I don't know if I'm okay with that.

I actually enjoy Freeza in this arc because it forces him in a role different from his usual one. The biggest flaw of Resurrection F, I feel, is that it just rehashed his evil space dictator role from his original appearance so it all felt very tired and done-already, and if they bring Freeza back as an antagonist again that's probably gonna be the case for a second time.

Also yeah, Super seems pretty divisive but that's not really surprising when it has to compete with the childhood nostalgia version of Dragon Ball Z lots of people got in their mind.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

People who like Dragonball because it's pretty funny and not all serious fight times tend to like it. People who think DBZ is a bad-rear end fight manga, not as much.

Pureauthor posted:

The funny thing is that means this is probably the only place on the internet where people overall like the series. Most other places on the internet that have places to talk about the series are full of the type of people who hate it.

But that's probably for the best that those types of people hate it. They already got their sequel. Dragonball GT fits a lot more into the mold of what they want. Especially since the American version skipped all the episodes that were more like the original Dragon Ball.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Covok posted:

The funny thing is that means this is probably the only place on the internet where people overall like the series. Most other places on the internet that have places to talk about the series are full of the type of people who hate it.

But that's probably for the best that those types of people hate it. They already got their sequel. Dragonball GT fits a lot more into the mold of what they want. Especially since the American version skipped all the episodes that were more like the original Dragon Ball.

wait, there were episodes of GT that were more lighthearted or something??

i tried watching it so many times in college, and couldnt get into it, the original Z just held up better and GT felt sooooo sluggish.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Watching GT in Japanese is tolerable, the US dub is hot garbage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lupus Rufus posted:

wait, there were episodes of GT that were more lighthearted or something??

i tried watching it so many times in college, and couldnt get into it, the original Z just held up better and GT felt sooooo sluggish.

Yeah the first mini arcs that proceed them going to the planet of the robots are more lighthearted like the original Dragonball. Once they go to the planet of the robots then it starts to get like Dragonball Z.

Super Saiyan 4 looks like absolute loving garbage and when I was young and looking up the series on the internet because it hadn't come out yet I couldn't tell the fanfiction Super Saiyan forms from the official one. Because it already looks like fanfiction bullshit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dr.acula posted:

Welcome to The Grand Tour Grand Tour Grand Tour Welcome to The Grand Tour Dragon Ball GT

It was really bad rap. Like glow levels of bad rap. You know like that you know that wrestling show from like the 80s.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dr.acula posted:

The Canadian dub is fine and also kept the original music which was pretty solid

Even had a theme song which kept the same general melody of the original

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

Eh, its not that bad really, I often make fun of power level fans on reddit but overall people seem to like the show these days and are excited for this arc at least. I thought it was interesting that everybody apart from me it seemed hated the recent Frieza twist until it actually happened and suddenly nobody heard of Majin Buu and bringing back Frieza was the most awesome thing ever. Whoever's writing the anime seems to know how to give people what they want without them necessarily knowing they wanted it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm trying to watch GT on Hulu and I'm up to the before Goku goes SS4. It's a real slog of a series. Some humor falls flat, the fighting is a bunch of standing, ki blasts, and speed lines, nothing really interesting. I'm watching dubbed so there dialog is tolerable but they repeat themselves alot. The whole thing just moves so slowly. For an anime without a manga to follow it sure does take its time with everything.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Canadian dub is fine and also kept the original music which was pretty solid

Same with the Latin American dub. The dub is pretty faithful and good and they kept the lighthearted earlier episodes, which in my opinion were really good and the show should have kept that course for a bit longer before going "Nah, it's DBZ time again"

Hell, I can't even listen to the GT opening theme without feeling nostalgic and getting watery eyes.

edit: Holy poo poo! THIS is the original english GT opening? For the longest time I thought this was it

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 1, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

lezard_valeth posted:

Same with the Latin American dub. The dub is pretty faithful and good and they kept the lighthearted earlier episodes, which in my opinion were really good and the show should have kept that course for a bit longer before going "Nah, it's DBZ time again"

Hell, I can't even listen to the GT opening theme without feeling nostalgic and getting watery eyes.

edit: Holy poo poo! THIS is the original english GT opening? For the longest time I thought this was it

Man I never even watched GT and the original Japanese opening gives me goosebumps somehow.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

lezard_valeth posted:

Thanks for sharing that. I'd never seen the english opening, it's hilariously bad. Reminds me of a really, really lovely version of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force intro or something. WTF was with the hysterical CG dragon at the end of it??

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

lezard_valeth posted:

The latter looks like it's from a completely different show and it's almost uncomfortable to see. Like, who the hell is that girl?? She looks important. The only parts of GT I remember are the stuff in the original English opening, and it all sucked.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
That second video I think had an alternate dub and lyrics to it?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If you boil it down to "what if they made an early arc of Dragonball had all the power-ups and space travel of late DBZ" it seems fairly sound. It just turned out really fanfic-y in a way where it just feels... off.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Jedah posted:

Their version of Trunks was terrible, he looked like a teen who just walked out of Abercrombie & Fitch, and was on their way to the country club to take some golf lessons. Nothing about him was badass or cool.

I kinda liked the implication that in a future that didn't suck Trunks turned out to be a wimp, kinda like a Future Gohan vs Dad Gohan kind of thing. The only problem, as on par with GT's M.O, the idea was good but the execution was terrible.

Most of the non-Goku characters in GT were really bland. GT Gohan was the blandest and lamest of all Gohans. And GT Goten...oh god...GT Goten was supposed to go on an epic journey with his space dad and best friend and got shafted at the last second for definitelynotPan.

Goten. The unfavorite son even in non-canon material.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also it's just not very funny and the characterization is weak as hell and Pan's potential as a character is squandered entirely and the animation is like cardboard

btw I just remembered the tournament of power starts tonight! I am so down for some cool punching!!!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My fan wish is that by the end of Super Goku wishes every universe into U7, which then leads to a better executed remake of GT where they set off to explore all the new worlds, with TruePan in it.

Of course by then world hunger and discrimantion would have been eradicated and world peace would have been long instaured, so whose gonna watch anime then?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

lezard_valeth posted:

I kinda liked the implication that in a future that didn't suck Trunks turned out to be a wimp, kinda like a Future Gohan vs Dad Gohan kind of thing. The only problem, as on par with GT's M.O, the idea was good but the execution was terrible.

Most of the non-Goku characters in GT were really bland. GT Gohan was the blandest and lamest of all Gohans. And GT Goten...oh god...GT Goten was supposed to go on an epic journey with his space dad and best friend and got shafted at the last second for definitelynotPan.

Goten. The unfavorite son even in non-canon material.

Remember when goten, uh. went on a date? And immediately lost?

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Augus posted:

Pan's potential as a character is squandered entirely

I still haven't got over the fact that she never went super saiyan. Those lovely Goku and Vegeta lookalikes in the future with like .001% saiyan DNA can do it but she can't?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I kind of hope the later arcs of Super more or less remake GT. Mine the good ideas from that show but execute them well.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh right I forgot about that. I never stuck it out to Baby though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I kind of hope the later arcs of Super more or less remake GT. Mine the good ideas from that show but execute them well.
That's fine as long as they don't de-age Goku to jam him in. It would be kinda nice to have Super step back a little from the current theme and be silly for a bit again. I think it has actually proven to be really solid at world building and a team touring the universes to collect something ball shaped would be cool.

I'd also be interested in seeing some alternate transformations, like have other individuals go a better designed ssj4. Like have that be the end result of U6 or something, without the obvious problem.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

lezard_valeth posted:

GT is an awful series and no dub can ever fix it, but goddammit Mi Corazón Encantado is one of my favourite songs ever and I can listen to it at any point without feeling any sort of shame in knowing where it came from. The original Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku is great too, but Mi Corazón Encantado just has the perfect mix of being a genuinely great song and having all that nostalgia. I need to link to it and listen to it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omTC2DrY1yw

What an amazing song for an amazingly terrible series.

Raxivace posted:

I don't think there's any chance of it beyond taking GT concepts and redoing them in an entirely different context, Kale-style, but I'd like that as well. Having the Shadow Dragons but actually well-used would be amazing, I still think it's the best idea in all of Dragon Ball...that, sadly, came from GT, so the execution was terrible in every way.

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd also be interested in seeing some alternate transformations, like have other individuals go a better designed ssj4. Like have that be the end result of U6 or something, without the obvious problem.

I can see this happening. We have three forms that seem to have the exact same amount of power but created from different circumstances (Blue for Saiyans who surpass God, Rosé for Gods who took Saiyan bodies and did the same, and Rage for NINGEN who just completely loving lose it in sheer rage) plus Gohan's Ultimate Form was shown to be at around SSB level in his fight against Goku (until he used the Kaio-ken, anyways). I wouldn't be surprised if Super kept going with that, having different forms that aren't neccesarily better but simply born from different situations.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
GT is one of those shows filled to the brim with great ideas with terrible executions and it fills me with sadness whenever I remember it. As an overarching, broad plot strokes nothing in GT is bad, all of it is actually pretty loving exciting and sounds good. But the actual context and actions just....just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We got "Goku/Vegeta fusion clowns on villain nut defuses at the worst time" already in Super.

• Locked thread