Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

trucutru posted:

"Commited to" is not a promise you cuntiflas, learn logic and English before you continue to spread FUD like the good Derek toadie you are. You're dismissed.
What will Chris be committed to in the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Natron posted:

Let's face it, the reason they want gravity to be a liquid that can be pumped around a ship isn't because of sound science or any thought out process. It allows Chris to add a bunch of pumps and pipes and greebles to all the ships to make them look more science fiction-y. Like all of his decisions, aesthetics are number one.

It gives CIG yet another excuse to refactor all of the ships.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Ten years but he'll probably be out in seven.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

If you think about it, "gravplating" is a really great way to explain the fact that they haven't modeled gravity at all and if you get a certain distance off the floor you're just in "zero g" for no discernable reason.

To be fair, that is perfectly fine for a game. If I were doing it I would just say that the floors and hull of the ship are made with a material that produces artificial gravity particles, and that those particles decay extremely quickly so that they only have a range of 5 meters or so.

No need to have full fidelity, otherwise the commoners ships would orbit around the Javelins of the chosen ones.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Im concerned

That when they eventually discover the graviton, it will not be containable by metal pipes

Hopefully im wrong

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

To give it his best try!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

To be fair, that is perfectly fine for a game. If I were doing it I would just say that the floors and hull of the ship are made with a material that produces artificial gravity particles, and that those particles decay extremely quickly so that they only have a range of 5 meters or so.

No need to have full fidelity, otherwise the commoners ships would orbit around the Javelins of the chosen ones.

Well sure, I mean that's sort of the point. In a game you find the thing that balances gameplay with the effect you're trying to achieve the best and go with it even if it doesn't actually make sense. If it's easier to just have gravity enabled by "room" you do that, or if it fits better you just make sure to make all your floors "magnetic" or whatever. But CIG is (like always) blending mechanics into a nonfunctional nightmare and then smearing a thick coating of extra complicated bullshit on top for "fidelity" reasons, and explaining it away with the laziest sci-fi writing I've seen since... well, Wing Commander: The Movie.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

benzine posted:

Shame he can't suck his own dick
The stretch goal to end them all.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Quavers posted:

The well of new pledgers and/or free accounts is drying up...
  • 1H2014: $11,838,147 pledged and 145,210 new Citizens (2014: $32,933,205 and 361,200)
  • 1H2015: $16,055,646 pledged and 210,197 new Citizens (2015: $35,961,202 and 433,453)
  • 1H2016: $12,400,064 pledged and 264,240 new Citizens (2016: $36,100,538 and 565,120)
  • 1H2017: $12,669,915 pledged and 129,036 new Citizens
(from the Funding Spreadsheet)

:ohdear:

I love how the yearly funding total is stable every year and has no relation to the number of accounts whatsoever.

The funding values are clearly not at all fake.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

No one mentioned this?

Flare guns. In Space!

Cause you know, it's a small universe out there.

The most damning thing about this to me is that I know what it took to create. I understand enough about Maya, solidworks and 3d design work to know how labor intensive this and the 400,000 images of ship components and guns and poo poo are and what it takes to create them, especially when you are being told to re-create them over and over.

I don't get how the backers going "What, are 400 people working on nothing you idiot?" don't see that yes, yes 400 people are working on nothing useful to the game.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mirificus posted:

RemindMe! June 30, 2017

There must be comments like this for every deadline Star Citizen has missed and they are all going to age like fine wine.

Two people commented on that thread a day ago and he is yet to respond.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Should be fine whine.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hobold posted:

Wow, is this a real cymelion meltdown going on? Seems like they are losing their minds over there in :reddit: land.

I think he may be coming to the conclusion that CIG isn't everything they say they are, and he's getting frustrated at the lies.

It's bound to happen (I assume) to probably most who aren't secretly an internet marketing company. Even the thickest of the thick should eventually be able to watch a CIG video of "gameplay" and "promises" and compare that with the same things said last year or the year before and start to go "hmm" in their head.

It's been slow though because CIG created a boogie man out of Derek Smart, and eventually they added in goons, so the "us vs them" war is still raging. The "is" side can't be wrong because then the "them" side would be right, and we obviously can't have that.

Unfortunately though there's not really any sort of war really going on. It's just two groups watching the same thing and having different conclusions.

When the promised 3.0 patch due a year ago isn't out:
Us: The more time the better, don't rush perfection!
Them: They've been saying this forever, nothing's changed and you're being lied to.

When the "gameplay" in 3.0 from a year ago is shown to be rigged and faked:
Us: It's probably not and it's real and I want to be in this universe.
Them: Did you watch the evidence???

Pupil to Planet:
Us: Wow! This is awesome and it's in the game so awesome!
Them: It's not in the game, it's not close to being in the game, they probably can't even do it in CryEngine.

MixMaster 3000:
Us: OMG I can't wait to serve drinks to my passengers while repairing servers and stoping epidemics!
Them: loving for real?

Constant ship sales:
Us: I'm going to buy everything to add to my fleet! I love the opportunity to donate to CIG!
Them: There's a new sale every other week, this doesn't appear to be suspicious to anybody?

The ongoing problem of over promising and hugely under delivering by literal years:
Us: We only know this because they are so open with the development, and because nobody else understands game development it's a tough thing to do. I forgive Chris Roberts for lying to my wallet about what I can expect to see because he's so lovable and I know he'd never release a bad product because he's a perfectionist.
Them: Game is massively over budget and behind schedule. Features are cut every time you blink. Crobberts is a horrible manager. Everything they show is a lie or sales pitch to buy the best ship of the week. How anybody can still have faith enough to give money to this project is beyond my comprehension.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

I think he may be coming to the conclusion that CIG isn't everything they say they are, and he's getting frustrated at the lies.

It's bound to happen (I assume) to probably most who aren't secretly an internet marketing company. Even the thickest of the thick should eventually be able to watch a CIG video of "gameplay" and "promises" and compare that with the same things said last year or the year before and start to go "hmm" in their head.

It's been slow though because CIG created a boogie man out of Derek Smart, and eventually they added in goons, so the "us vs them" war is still raging. The "is" side can't be wrong because then the "them" side would be right, and we obviously can't have that.

Unfortunately though there's not really any sort of war really going on. It's just two groups watching the same thing and having different conclusions.

Them: They've been saying this forever, nothing's changed and you're being lied to.

Pupil to Planet:
Them: It's not in the game, it's not close to being in the game, they probably can't even do it in CryEngine.

MixMaster 3000:
Us: OMG I can't wait to serve drinks to my passengers while repairing servers and stoping epidemics!

Constant ship sales:
Us: I'm going to buy everything to add to my fleet! I love the opportunity to donate to CIG!
Them: There's a new sale every other week, this doesn't appear to be suspicious to anybody?

The ongoing problem of over promising and hugely under delivering by literal years:
Us: We only know this because they are so open with the development, and because nobody else understands game development it's a tough thing to do. I forgive Chris Roberts for lying to my wallet about what I can expect to see because he's so lovable and I know he'd never release a bad product because he's a perfectionist.
Them: Game is massively over budget and behind schedule. Features are cut every time you blink. Crobberts is a horrible manager. Everything they show is a lie or sales pitch to buy the best ship of the week. How anybody can still have faith enough to give money to this project is beyond my comprehension.

18½ months ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

:getin:

:laffo:

edit: another one, that video's comments are gold

Quavers fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Quavers posted:

ConCitizens first wave of tickets sold out in 10 seconds

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15961-CitizenCon-Tickets-Announcement

"There will be snack food available for purchase at the venue, though attendees are encouraged to meet up and enjoy a meal together before the event."

"There is a bar at the venue for drinks, as well as snack food (sandwiches, wurst and pizza)."

"Can I bring my own food and drink? No, this is not allowed for the venue – Please stop by one of the traditional German restaurants nearby before the event, or purchase food and drinks at Capitol."

Hahahahaaaaaa
What a loving joke, jesus christ.
It's not that hard to get catering, or just put up a dude, a pot, and let him make a lot of Weißwürste.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Come along to see Chris Roberts’ live presentation."

"bring it (cosplay encouraged)"

"Each year, fans have kindly offered gifts for the team. Unfortunately, since many of us will be flying out the next day we are unable to accept anything at the event."
"Please only bring what you’ll need with you to the event, as well as your Star Citizen merchandise!"

"you would need to use the coat check once inside.
Is there a Coat Check?"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

phosdex posted:

Yeah, the guy private messaged me this image as proof, said he actively plays, called me derek smart and then blocked me. He's still on 2.5.1:

It's really funny that "Derek can't be right" is what glues people to Star Citizen. I hope CIG is giving Derek kickbacks for his services because I bet if they didn't have Derek to leverage as their straw man boogie monster they'd be needing to justify more of their actions.

At this point so long as CIG can poo poo out a YouTube video that is "progress".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a Coat Check?"

Plenty of Firefly fans

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Somebody needs to get in there with Ben and ask him the tough questions like "Do you love Sq42 as much as Wing Commander? Are there any particular favorite similarities or characters that share binds with their Wing Commander roots? Does Mark Hamills new character reminiscent of Blair from Wing Commander? How would you rate the story experience of Sq42 to Wing Commander?"

I say Ben because he's played through Sq42 already and can answer these basic questions without ruining the story line. Also leverage Wing Commander into it because it'll make him feel right at home.

Most likely you'll get jibberish bullshit and maybe that can help a few more people realize that Sq42 isn't anything more than a few frantically stapled together demos and for all intents and purposes is a non-thing. And that's a single player, space-level to story FPS-level game that doesn't have nearly the complexity of Star Citizen itself.

I'd just like to see CIG treated like other developers in that they need to actually produce stuff. Getting them to talk about the realities of their game seems like the best way to do that. Not dreams, but actual functional components and comparisons.

But that's just my opinion. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

I bet on Cymelion to become King of the Shills early on and if he gets banned now I'll be really disappointed.

Please - tell - him to - reel... it back...

Well he's not a paid marketing shill. Eventually most non-paid people are going to see a pile of poo poo for what it is. You can only pretend to love using poo poo mascara for so long before it dawns on you that it's got a very bad smell and doesn't work as advertised.

Hopefully he can just pop in here, so long as he doesn't act like a fool it's not like he'd get banned or his opinion shut down. Come on over, friend. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lladre posted:

No one mentioned this?

Flare guns. In Space!

Cause you know, it's a small universe out there.

This is the kind of stuff that should make a person realize that the guy coming up with these ideas doesn't understand the medium he or she is working in.

But for the sake of it all, I'm going to assume the flare gun is for if you crash on a planet and are trying to be rescued by the local search and rescue people.

Which of course brings into question of is there search and rescue, and what is the point of the flare gun in gameplay.

If it's for players to find players, the chat box is all the flare gun anybody would need to find anybody else.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

If you think about it, "gravplating" is a really great way to explain the fact that they haven't modeled gravity at all and if you get a certain distance off the floor you're just in "zero g" for no discernable reason.

Could just be metal plates and everybody's footwear has magnets in it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

They like to fantasize that he looks like this at all times.

As far as programmers and nerds in general go, I always thought he looked pretty good. :j:

This picture is probably 20 years old but he still looks good today from what few pictures I've seen.

And you've seen nerds and programmers. He could be a lot worse off. A lot.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Pupil to Planet:

MixMaster 3000:

Constant ship sales:

Cymelion is ready to snap and spread FUD if CIG ever makes a delta patcher but keeps Evocati.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6khzws/comment/djmeq0e

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Could just be metal plates and everybody's footwear has magnets in it.

It's not. We know that because "magboots" was a thing they tried to do to let commandos latch on to the outside of other people's ships (since, you know, they can't get docking to work) and it sucked and broke the game so they had to disable it lol.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

The Titanic posted:

I think I know what you want to say. But I can not quite put my thumb on it....

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Can I bring food and drink to a theater?" "No, of course not, you imbecile."

Imagine planning an event for people to whom you have to explain the basic rules of social behavior. Is "Wear pants" in the FAQ also?

Quavers posted:

ConCitizens first wave of tickets sold out in 10 seconds

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15961-CitizenCon-Tickets-Announcement

"There will be snack food available for purchase at the venue, though attendees are encouraged to meet up and enjoy a meal together before the event."

"There is a bar at the venue for drinks, as well as snack food (sandwiches, wurst and pizza)."

"Can I bring my own food and drink? No, this is not allowed for the venue – Please stop by one of the traditional German restaurants nearby before the event, or purchase food and drinks at Capitol."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BeefThief posted:

Not bankrupt, just fatally over-leveraged

e: I just realized again that if they pledged all their assets as collateral and got a <$10m loan, they've managed to turn $153m into <$10m with nothing but a pile of jpegs to show for it

why would they do this? what were they thinking??

Remember when CRobs was doing a power point of all the different in-game orgs there could be (there could be different types with different mechanics ofc) and one of them was "cult"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Imagine planning an event for people to whom you have to explain the basic rules of social behavior. Is "Wear pants" in the FAQ also?

Same. Except the theater also does not sell food or drink.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

As far as programmers and nerds in general go, I always thought he looked pretty good. :j:

This picture is probably 20 years old but he still looks good today from what few pictures I've seen.

Derek was a pimp

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Surprised they didn't include basic hygiene rules like they did with dashcon

Sorry citizens it seems the latest build is taking longer than expected to compile (cut to a feed of 2 developers sweating profusely and plugging/unplugging a usb stick over and over trying to get it to recognize) , so everyone in attendance gets an extra hour in the ball pit with Ben

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 1, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not. We know that because "magboots" was a thing they tried to do to let commandos latch on to the outside of other people's ships (since, you know, they can't get docking to work) and it sucked and broke the game so they had to disable it lol.

Yes, unfortunately. We know that anything that requires programming talent is probably beyond the capacity for CIG to get right.

But barring the ability to stick to any surface, they could just say the floors are magical metal.

Kind of like how the windows are magical windows that are like transparent titanium or something.

At this point them writing "it's magic" is probably more realistic than anything else they dream up. They can even make it magic from Britannia so they can both cash in on the "is it British?" tax credit as well as a nod to fellow their fellow scam artists at Shroud of the Avatar.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 1, 2017

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Remember when CRobs was doing a power point of all the different in-game orgs there could be (there could be different types with different mechanics ofc) and one of them was "cult"

Speaking of, did they ever implement orgs 2.0, or is that pencilled in for 3.0 3.1 3.2 4.0 fall of 2024?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

Cymelion is ready to snap and spread FUD if CIG ever makes a delta patcher but keeps Evocati.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6khzws/comment/djmeq0e

He probably should.

Is there any single aspect of CIG that doesn't honestly meet the basic requirements for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt?

FUD campaigns are generally conducted by other corporate entities. Like if Frontier was doing a smear campaign 4-5 years ago, that could be a FUD campaign to rally against.

But Frontier is not doing this, and they don't need to because their product is already released.

For individuals or groups who have a vested interest in understanding how a project is going when it is doing nothing but failing at every step, this isn't FUD. This is alarm because poo poo is failing.

It's super good for CIG to have stopped people asking questions about progress because they have nothing good to show. It's unfortunate that other groups have picked up on this tactic though.

The very basic groundwork for any crowd funded project is going to be addressing FUD. Usually this is addressed by showing forward progress. And believe it or not this tactic tends to work, and instead of having to shut down FUD campaigns, your proof of progress means you DON'T have FUD campaigns.

CIG lies. Nobody, not a backer, not an employee, can say they don't. This isn't a made up falsehood. This isn't something you can twist into a "well he really meant..." no. They lie. They blatantly lie often.

To counter the fact they've loaded their deck with lies, they silence people who speak up, and have given it negative "FUD" campaign aesthetics. They even went so far as to hide their entire customer forums from the general internet because they want to very blatantly mislead people about the real condition of their game.

CIG has major problems with development and they've villainized Derek and goons to help act like their lack of progress and lies are "oh it's goons looking for dirt".

gently caress no it's not. You can go back just a page or less in this very thread and see Chris loving Roberts standing in front of a PowerPoint presentation with 2015 dates for product releases.

There's a word for that. It's not "oh his lack of ability to estimate is cute/endearing".

It's called lying.

That's not FUD talk. That's CIGs business method in action. If they were half as good at making a game as they are at shutting down people with questions, you'd probably be looking at a Star Citizen expansion pack this year instead of loving alpha 3.0 that has virtually none of the promised features 3.0 was supposed to have. It's more of that lying thing CIG excels at.

If Cymelion is tired of this poo poo, good. He's been a patsy for a long time, he's probably anticipated all these promises only to be endlessly let down, and he's probably already getting upset that Citizen Con is going to show Gameplay from 4.0 that is "weeks away" that looks like nothing he's seen so far. He's probably tired of being lied to by a company he's donated a lot of money into, and has gotten precious little out of.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think I know what you want to say. But I can not quite put my thumb on it....

I think you are a handsome poster. :)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/881253297666969600

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Subscriber Flash Sale!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Do people actually use Mixer

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
pls buy ship

pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What does the creepy guy mean when he says get the sub button dropped?