Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Exioce posted:

I'm thinking a headset with foveated rendering could do 4k with the current batch of graphics cards?

Yes because the current batch of graphics cards start to approach 4k rendering via the use of super sampling even if the output resolution is 1080p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

The fov is the thing I'd love to be improved, I can deal with the resolution (improvements are welcome though!) but I would adore a proper all encompassing fov

I think having a bunch of programmable multicolored LEDs surrounding the area outside of the vive's field of view that can be controlled by what's going on in the VR environment could potentially be a fantastic stop gap since we're talking about crude monocular peripheral vision here. I think this would be a great mod for existing Vives and potentially Rifts too.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 30, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone did some mod of a headset that put a bunch of LEDs around the outside, don't know how far that got.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I'm kinda skeptical and I have no idea what the product they're gonna sell later this year is if they don't have a headset design of their own

Of course your should be skeptical, but if they can get foveated rendering working then someone will buy them/license the tech for use in their headsets. It's a problem that many companies have been trying to solve, and this seems like a pretty horrible solution. I hate to think of physical moving parts on your head when we still commonly hit headsets into walls.

The most common idea is just eye tracking then rendering the screen only in high res at the focal area of the eye. Since they eye is only highly perceptive for about 3 degrees you could render everything else to a much lower level with no perceivable visual difference. In the Oculus connect talk Abrash said that he believed if you could get perfect eye tracking you would get about a 10x reduction in the required rendering effort. That would mean you could either do 10 times more complex scenes, or you'd be able to run on hardware 1/10th as powerful.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mechanical doesn't necessarily mean steampunk gears and driveshafts, it could be a DLP-like solid state device. Would still be bulkier than a panel if it involves reflection paths though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.oculus.com/blog/summer-of-rift-heats-up-esports-action-free-multiplayer-weekends-and-more/

Oh boy Echo Arena July 6-10

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think if anyone were going to be bought for their tech, it would have been the Fove people. I know that HTC already bought some eye tracking tech and I'm pretty sure Oculus is working with a company too. If their goal is to get bought up by a bigger company, I'd say that, like Sixsense Stem, that ship has already sailed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

iceaim posted:

I think having a bunch of programmable multicolored LEDs surrounding the area outside of the vive's field of view that can be controlled by what's going on in the VR environment could potentially be a fantastic stop gap since we're talking about crude monocular peripheral vision here. I think this would be a great mod for existing Vives and potentially Rifts too.

That sounds really interesting, I have a TV that projects the colours on screen behind it onto the wall to create an ambient effect, and can picture how that would work

I'm picturing this basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Q33FtNdgs&t=79s

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

iceaim posted:

The only problem with that is it loses its whole effect the moment you start looking anywhere but dead center. If you're looking at the edge of your screen your going to have these big blurry lights right there which might look really off.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

The only problem with that is it loses its whole effect the moment you start looking anywhere but dead center. If you're looking at the edge of your screen your going to have these big blurry lights right there which might look really off.

Yeah, really off the hook

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Ooh and a free weekend for The Unspoken, I always wanted to try that

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Also GORN is opening purchase for Early Access on the 10th, so lots of lovely VR fun to come!

I purchased To The Top and after the initial weirdness with the controls - this ain't no Climbey - I'm really enjoying it. I love the soundtrack and the feeling of vaulting through the air feels incredible. It's definitely not the same style of game as Climbey, it's more a freeform, fast-paced parkour game.

God bless STEAM summer sales, bringing VR games down to almost bearable prices!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=PN/8,212,859

HMD peripheral LEDs are patented by apple.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

That sounds really interesting, I have a TV that projects the colours on screen behind it onto the wall to create an ambient effect, and can picture how that would work

I'm picturing this basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Q33FtNdgs&t=79s

Exactly! You have the basic idea down. I think it could be a great pseudo increased FOV hack.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The new controllers look fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkD5aM3AwQ

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Lathe Safety Simulator

Well then.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tomorrow morning I am going to wake up, drink some coffee, get so god drat high, and then learn to lathe safely.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

The Walrus posted:

tomorrow morning I am going to wake up, drink some coffee, get so god drat high, and then learn to lathe safely.

I'm pretty sure you'll have already broken the first rule of safe lathing!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll have already broken the first rule of safe lathing!

You cannot lathe in your sleep please do not attempt as de gloving may occur

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Add my voice to the chorus: SUPERHOT VR Endless Mode is outrageously excellent. I keep convincing myself that I can do idiotic Wanted-style bullet curve motions with the Uzi AND IT JUST KEEPS WORKING.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The absolute boy Anton made a Westworld parody level for H3VR and holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_J9o-akJc

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Taintrunner posted:

The absolute boy Anton made a Westworld parody level for H3VR and holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_J9o-akJc

This guy is a delight in his production.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I heard a great one tonight

"If you exercise in VR... You exercise in real life"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

This is very true

After the first day of Echo Arena I learned I needed to have a big container of water and drink between every round or I'd get dehydrated

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Reminds me of https://i.imgur.com/eD0JGvE_d.jpg

Honestly I use audioshield/soundboxing as a workout routine. My dog would probably rather me go on a walk but damnit, I need to hit bubbles in cyberspace!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

honda whisperer posted:

Sup Honda, this was from me. Though to be fair I first heard it from a coworker after I told him I was sore from playing sound boxing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Reminds me of https://i.imgur.com/eD0JGvE_d.jpg

Honestly I use audioshield/soundboxing as a workout routine. My dog would probably rather me go on a walk but damnit, I need to hit bubbles in cyberspace!

For the non-tiny version

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

honda whisperer posted:

Gladius is in the summer sale, and I tried it out last night. Not very polished, but well done. I played for a little bit and got all riled up cutting dudes and had to stop because my mouth got extremely dry and I realized it was the first time I exersized in weeks.

God bless VR for keeping us healthy

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Welp gonna add that to my VR workout routine of Gorn/Soundboxing/Thrill of the Fight, so this headset is definitely hosed (I already get IMU issues when I get too hot and sweaty)

Also can you really not change the grip angle in Arizona Sunshine?

The first thing I did when the main character started talking was try to shoot myself so I think this is gonna be a refund

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Rift + touch is finally in the mail!

I bought sound boxing. What else do I need outside of the bundled freebies during the steam and oculus sale? Almost bought quiver and thrill of the fight, but lost my nerve.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd say Pavlov and Climbey, but you might want to get a bit more used to VR before you start throwing artificial locomotion in the mix.

Thumper is awesome, and you probably owe it to yourself to get some kind of car game (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Dirt Rally).

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Agreed. I've got project cars and dirt rally and I'm holding out hope that they will be awesome.

Also have elite, DCS, war thunder.

Thought about job simulator too but the price is a bit steep for what it is from where I'm standing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SuperHot VR is a must buy, come to think of it. Get it wherever it is cheapest.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, apparently the Steam version has issues when using a Rift, so get it on the Oculus store.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SwissCM posted:

SuperHot VR is a must buy, come to think of it. Get it wherever it is cheapest.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, apparently the Steam version has issues when using a Rift, so get it on the Oculus store.

Best to grab it on Steam and refund it if it doesn't work well since Steam Refunds are that simple.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SwissCM posted:

I'd say Pavlov

Pavlov and Soundboxing are the only 2 things I find myself coming back to over and over again. I don't have Onward so I can't compare but Pavlov at $7 I think it a pretty no brainer. Although I'd suggest waiting a bit since it is touchpad locomotion and pretty fast when you're sprinting with no weapons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safetyland posted:

Agreed. I've got project cars and dirt rally and I'm holding out hope that they will be awesome.

Also have elite, DCS, war thunder.

Thought about job simulator too but the price is a bit steep for what it is from where I'm standing.

War Thunder is great now, as is Elite (if you have the computer to drive it)

Job Simulator was my favorite VR experience for the longest time, so I think its worth it. Its the IDEAL game for demoing VR to your friends, if anybody comes over and wants to play with VR for 10 minutes and see what only VR can do, have them play Job Sim. Any other game they'll be fiddling around with learning the game stuff for a long time and the VR will just sorta be there, but with Job Sim its instant and immediate that you're in VR and doing things you couldn't do outside of VR. Its also genuinely funny and does have some replay value as there are hidden easter eggs and things you can do that you aren't told you can do. Its not the biggest game but I find by the time I beat all the missions, I'd forgotten what the earlier ones were like and enjoyed playing through them again.

Rick & Morty is Job Sim 2 and is more of the same, well, maybe "less of the same" is more accurate. Its got even better humor but its slightly shorter.

Subnautica would be really brilliant in VR but I keep having different major issues with it so I can't recommend it right now. Hopefully it gets all fixed up and then when its "done" it'll be amazing.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I really enjoyed the Solus Project and can't recommend it enough.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I just picked up Rick & Morty the other day and it's definitely a step up from Job Simulator. I enjoyed Job Simulator on release, but everything just felt a bit too straight forward and in the case of the mechanic job, went on too long. While Rick & Morty is still task oriented, it feels a little less hand-holdy and I think it makes you think a little more for some of the puzzles. I think Job Simulator (or a sequel) could be more interesting with a randomized mode with pass/fail conditions and multi-tasking to keep you on your toes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GI_Clutch posted:

I just picked up Rick & Morty the other day and it's definitely a step up from Job Simulator. I enjoyed Job Simulator on release, but everything just felt a bit too straight forward and in the case of the mechanic job, went on too long. While Rick & Morty is still task oriented, it feels a little less hand-holdy and I think it makes you think a little more for some of the puzzles. I think Job Simulator (or a sequel) could be more interesting with a randomized mode with pass/fail conditions and multi-tasking to keep you on your toes.

Yeah just adding a randomized mode and some upgrades would give it tons more depth.

You could turn the cooking segment of Job Sim into something like Cook, Serve, Delicious really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I start everybody out in the lab, on the long named landscape to get acclimated to VR and how to move.