Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No, Profiteur acts like he's full rat. There's a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Proprietress is a respectable NPC. She knows how the fetch quest trade goes. You gotta give to get.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Apparently someone doesn't realize the difference between "Mercenary" and, um..."Foreign Expeditionary Force?" If the Black Blades are a division of the Eternian Army, they aren't mercenaries, they're Eternian forces deployed to back up their Swordbearer allies.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe they've turned into "volunteer mercs" like little green men on a deniable operation to destabilize the area.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Patter Song posted:

Apparently someone doesn't realize the difference between "Mercenary" and, um..."Foreign Expeditionary Force?" If the Black Blades are a division of the Eternian Army, they aren't mercenaries, they're Eternian forces deployed to back up their Swordbearer allies.

I wouldn't put it past those assholes to be charging the Swordbearers anyway, just to empty the coffers and leave them vulnerable in the aftermath.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

I wouldn't put it past those assholes to be charging the Swordbearers anyway, just to empty the coffers and leave them vulnerable in the aftermath.
That's more Profiteur's style, I think.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Patter Song posted:

Theyre a PMC with deep eternian governmental ties.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, they were sent to back their sword bearer allies but maybe they also work as mercs or something?

Commander Keene posted:

No, Profiteur acts like he's full rat. There's a difference.

Fine.

Then they wanted to make Zatz super unique. So they did.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It's just weird that they went with that for his design. Because nothing says "trustworthy ally" like "literally looks like a rat".

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

It's just weird that they went with that for his design. Because nothing says "trustworthy ally" like "literally looks like a rat".

In the world of Bravely Default being evil is super obvious.

Zatz hasn't destroyed a nation via drugs, burned random houses and people down, robbed people blind and all.

I'm sure he's trustworthy

:v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So I've started playing Final Fantasy V for the first time in ages and this game is giving me major Bravely Default vibes.

I know BD is based on the earlier entries, but it seems to draw a lot of inspiration from this one in particular. The first six jobs of the game are the first five from this + Blue Mage.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So I've started playing Final Fantasy V for the first time in ages and this game is giving me major Bravely Default vibes.

I know BD is based on the earlier entries, but it seems to draw a lot of inspiration from this one in particular. The first six jobs of the game are the first five from this + Blue Mage.

Well, in 1 and 3, the early jobs of Bravely Default are all there.

2 did something different, and 4 was the Cecil game I think, which was also different.

And 5's jobs are similar to 1 and 3.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Other way around.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the Bravely series is basically a giant love letter to FF3 and 5 in particular.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 45: Journey to the West

No bikini babes and a promise of more Eternia shenanigans in our next destination. Far from Grandship being a break, the party's more tense than ever.

But who knows? Maybe these Eternians will be open to diplomatic talks.

Ha hahahahahahahaha. Well, one can hope. Edea's teacher is there, after all.

The party heads back to the Eschalot.

You'll see a little harbor when we hit land. We can go ashore there. The lads should be waiting for me in the area.

Don't even think about landing on the north coast. The Swordbearers hold sway up there, so it's dicey.

Tried that. The Swordbearers have a seemingly endless supply of cannonballs. Not sure why they didn't go with Cannonbearers, sounds way better.

A few hours out from Grandship, Ringabel realizes he forgot to buy hair gel.

They head back immediately.

Strange none of the party had heard of Grandship before, but I suppose Luxendarc's a large place.

May as well pick up dinner while we're here.

The glassware market has fallen and shattered. The fruits market is bruised beyond redemption. Etcetera.

There's a lot heavily implied but not outright stated about the proprietress. Despite Grandship's outward neutrality, she chose a side by giving shelter and aid to the Shieldbearer Zatz.

I'm working as the local chanteuse. I hope you'll enjoy your time here!

She seems nice! Maybe by this point Florem fashion's switched over to using artificial hairpins, perhaps courtesy of the item shopkeeper.

You would've made one pompadoured man very happy.

The markets are still busy at night.

I travel the world capturing its beauty in photographs. This is as fine a view as I've seen yet.

It isn't half bad. It'd be better if this were on a system able to take better advantage of the graphics, but it'd be mean to say that to an old video game man just having a good time.

Darned inept governments. It'd be a shame to see Grandship go under, literally.

But Grandship isn't our concern at the moment. Hair newly gelled, Ringabel sets a course west.

Our destination is a house tucked inside a small, rocky bay -- one the party wouldn't have noticed without Zatz's guidance.

What's the plan?

The dock at the cottage we're heading to is too small to moor this ship. My mates'll ferry us over in a smaller boat. It'll take a couple of trips.

Got it...

A short time later:

Likewise, Datz! Looks like we're all here. Don't worry about the ship. This harbor is nice and sheltered, so it'll be fine.

The peninsula hides it from any prying eyes on the open sea, too.

I'm fine. Just a little sore back now. This body's tough as nails, as you can see.

I'm lucky to still be breathing after facing the blade of that swordmaster, though! Gah hah hah!

Swordmaster...?

What is it?

Oh, nothing.

Thanks for bringing Zatz back to us! We appreciate it.

Hey, after seeing you in action, I have a favor to ask. Would you meet with our leader?

What's this about, Zatz?

Listen, Datz. These guys are top-notch fighters. They were knocking the blocks off monsters like it was nothing!

I couldn't get Grandship on our side, but with these guys to back us up...

You want us to help you win the war?

The Swordbearers betrayed us, and they have the fire vestal's blood on their hands.

Don't think they'll stop when they conquer Eisenberg. They plan to plunder other regions next. We can't let them run rampant. They must be stopped. And for that we need you!

Unacceptable.

We cannot afford to get caught up in a conflict now. We must awaken the crystal at the Temple of Fire. That is my task as a vestal of the crystals. We have no time to wage war!

You're a vestal!? You!?

Wah! What's that scrawny little thing!?

A cryst-fairy, they say. Gave me a start the first time I saw it as well.

You don't say? I never imagined a vestal would be so young, or that she'd keep company with such an odd creature.

Hey, watch who you're calling odd!

I might forgive you if you'd tell us how to get to the Temple of Fire.

The Temple of Fire...? All the roads there were blocked by lava. Hmm...

Our commander might know something. The Shieldbearers have been trying to find a way through for a while.

Well, whether we join forces with the Shieldbearers or not, let's at least talk with their commander, Agnès.

This outpost may not be tidy, but it's undoubtedly a necessity to funnel support in to the Shieldbearers.

Zatz and Datz are willing to answer any questions the party has. Know what that means?

Exposition party! *cracks knuckles*

->About this realm

Thanks to all the volcanic activity, you can dig up precious metals and gems practically anywhere.

This is the one place in the world where orichalcum can be mined. Impressive, huh?

Our main industries are mining, smelting, and gem working... All are connected to the fire within the earth that sustains us. But mining has ground to a halt due to the civil war... So have trade that rely on it.

This realm was founded by the forces stationed here to protect the Temple of Fire and the fire vestal.

Powerful garrisons guarded the north, south, east, and west borders. There was no mightier force in all the world at the time. Despite that, we never moved to attack our neighbors. We took pride in our defensive stance.

That's how we built a nation in this barren land, while protecting generations of fire vestals. Everyone was a devout follower of Crystalism. Their faith was strong, and the fire vestal was honored above all others.

A couple odd notes here. First, if the land has such frequent and recent vulcanism, there would be a limited selection of rocks to mine. Gems take time to form and for most types their creation underground would be interrupted during the upheaval caused by volcanoes. Similarly, most metals are mined from area which has had no volcanic activity for millions of years. On the upside, Eisenberg would have all the basalt it could ever want. Orichalcum also gets a pass because it's fantasy so who knows, it could just be magic-infused obsidian or something.

The barren land situation implies the Fire Crystal is terrible even when it's under vestal control. Although recently volcanic land is barren, given time to settle the soil eventually becomes full of nutrients and fantastic for growing crops.

->About the factions

This militia came to rule the land, and over many years split into two factions serving different purposes. The Shieldbearers protected the Temple of Fire and the fire vestal, while the Swordbearers repelled any foreign invaders.

This was... How long ago would it have been? Centuries, at least. It was an age of peace for Eisenberg, with Crystalism as the official religion, and the fire vestal revered by all.

Over time, the Shieldbearers and Swordbearers changed into something akin to ideological groups.

The Shieldbearers fought only to protect the peace. Most people fell into this group. We may not act like it, but we have proper ranks, too. I'm a corporal, as is Zatz here.

The Swordbearers sought to invade other realms and expand our territory. Of course, few harbor such radical ideas. Most turned a deaf ear to them.

No one expected them to take up arms against their countrymen... And now these rebels have the upper hand against the Shieldbearers.

Historically, if the Swordbearers were doing their job, the Shieldbearers would never have had to fight a day in their lives. If we were hearing this from the Swordbearer side, there'd probably be talk of underlying resentment about the Swordbearers risking their lives while the Shieldbearers metaphorically chilled out with the fire vestal. Not that that justifies war, but it would lend some grey to the current black vs. white scenario.

->About the war

That triggered the civil war that still drags on now. The Swordbearers slaughtered their own brethren. Their forces couldn't hold a candle to our own, but they hired scores of formidable mercenaries...

These mercenaries were skilled and disciplined, and they fought with astonishing ferocity. The Shieldbearers still had a big edge in numbers, but we were no match for them...

That's not all. The mercenaries also taught the Swordbearers a despicable practice. Use of a vile, inhumane weapon--toxic mist.

They used it to eradicate our forces in the East City. In one night, we lost one hundred thousand soldiers. Deadly fumes hung over the entire battlefield. The land was rendered uninhabitable. But the Swordbearers didn't stop there. They raided the Temple of Fire, and the fire vestal fell prey to them...

Without the vestal, the Fire Crystal could not be controlled, causing Mount Karka to erupt violently.

Since then, the Shieldbearers have been struggling just to defend our positions. At that point, things looked grim... So we headed to Grandship to seek reinforcements.

But we ran into the mercenary leader, and our squad was wiped out. We're all that's left...

Now the Swordbearers and Shieldbearers are locked in battle at Eisen Bridge. If they break our lines, the Shieldbearers will be routed. Until now, the sea routes were closed, so neither Shieldbearers nor Swordbearers could be reinforced from outside. That's the only reason we've held out so long. Now that ships are running again, our future hangs by a thread...

Eternia uses a different method for every country. Despite the shortsightedness of their individual leaders, they're successful at what they do, at least until the party rolls into town. So far.

I would have, for sure, if Corporal Datz hadn't broken through their line and rescued me. He's my hero, he is. I owe him my life.

Speaking of, let's see what Datz has to say.

Datz can take us back to the Eschalot.

We've also got a couple questions we can ask him.

->About Datz and Zatz

In Eisenberg, everyone gets conscripted when they turn eighteen. Men and women. The civil war started just after we were called to muster. You want to know why we were picked to go to Grandship? I'm not really sure, but it's probably because we know this area so well. And it's not like the Shieldbearers have many options these days. There wasn't anyone better, I guess. This pirate getup is just so we could slip onto Grandship without the Swordbearers cottoning on.

Well, that and the fact that my uniform doesn't fit. Gah hah hah!

So, going by what Zatz said earlier, Datz and Zatz's area must be one of the only Shieldbearer-held coasts. Considering that, the Swordbearers still should have noticed the suspicious ship activity in the area...

->About their injuries

But I healed up while we were waiting for Zatz to get back. Still get the odd ache, but that's it.

When heading to this old house on the way to Grandship, we bumped into a band of mercenaries. And of course, one has to be the head of them. A swordmaster, no less. We didn't stand a chance. It was a slaughter-fest. Those of us that survived were covered in wounds... I was bedridden for ages.

Zatz got off the lightest, so he went on to Grandship by himself. Not long after he set sail, the sea started turning bad. It was an ill omen. I'm so glad he made it back safe. I guess I have you to thank for that.

Having familiarized with Zatz and Datz, Edea finally relaxes.

Something funny about my name? What, I amuse you, girly? Huh?

Oh, er--N-no, I just... It's a lovely name. Very unusual! Ha ha ha... I'm sorry. I meant no offense.

Bah ha ha! Just kidding! Did I lay it on a little thick?

I haven't got mad at people making fun of my name since I signed up. Eh, Zatz?

Not since you flattened two squads worth of jokers and got tossed in the brig.

Yeesh...

Ha ha, all four of us wound up there on the day we enlisted.

Guess time mellows out even the rowdiest of us, huh?

All four of you?

Yeah, it's been the four of us together, for better or worse, ever since that first brawl.

Been awhile since I've seen Steiner and Neuer... You figure they're alright?

Sure, they're with the commander. Why don't we show the vestal around and drop by?

Aside from talking to Datz, we can also just use this boat ourselves.

Airy's still upset by Datz's comments.

We've done all we can at the house for now.

We'll need to go south a bit first. Once we're through, head back northward.

Keep your eyes peeled as well. We could be set upon at any time!

Next: Hey look guys, we found the Eternians!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Zatz Leads the Way
The House by the Sea
Meeting Datz
The Shieldbearer Command

Sub-Scenario:
Details from Zatz
Details from Datz

Party Chat:
Datz's Name

D's Journal: Zatz posted:

D's Journal: Datz posted:

D's Journal: Eisen Region posted:

D's Journal: House by the Sea posted:

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 4, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well that's something. I forgot this was a generic NPC model.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Maybe the volcano produces plenty of magic fantasy stuff for mining. Or maybe the fire crystal has something to do with the mining part.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Both of those seem more Earth Crystal to me. The only explanation I can think of is that the Fire Crystal somehow enables the gemification process bypassing the normally centuries of formation such crystals require. Eisenberg must have also been mineral-rich on its own without the action of the Fire Crystal, and the locals decided to accept the risks associated with volcano mining because they have the Crystal rendering the land barren (or simply rain shadow effect preventing proper rainfall or whatnot) and can't really do much else with it.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Regalingualius posted:

I still have no idea how the hell Zatz looks like he does, considering he's the only NPC in the game that looks like he's half-rat.

It's a pun. :ssh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ouch. Inhospitable mountain continent. They must have been really hurting for food and supplies before the oceans came back.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone think Eisenberg is intended as an homage to Saronia, the Civil War Town from Final Fantasy III?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

All I remember of that place is that they were the jerks who blew up my airship as soon as I got within city limits. :argh:

Really, though, from what I vaguely remember of that place, their conflict was surprisingly actually civil (if a tense stalemate before the heroes arrived). Whereas here... It's, uh, kind of hard to walk back from apparently slaughtering a hundred thousand people in the opening salvos of the war.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Two hundred thousand. The initial attack by the Swordbearers and the Black Blades killed 100k, then the poison gas attack killed another 100k.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 46: Enigma-sensei

As the party leaves the house by the sea, Edea catches sight of something.

Oh, that's steam from a natural hot spring. A vein of magma empties into the sea there, heating the water.

Wow, a real hot spring.

They say the waters work wonders on cuts and scrapes. Even burns.

And, uh... See that cape out there? That one's a mixed bath. Everybody in one big tub.

Ngh!?

Wow, he's nearly out of sight. Heck of a pair of legs on that guy.

Is it alright to let him go? We'll be hearing screams from the cape in no time.

Naw, it's fine. Nothing to worry about.

Around this time...ah, that's right. The mix oughtta be mostly valtoras in the bath right now. Bah ha ha!

Hey, now he's sprinting back this way. He's shouting something...

Sounds like, "I'll...get...you...Datz." Ah ha ha, and he's crying!

Ah ha...ha...

For reference, here's a valtora:

They aren't very friendly.

This is not at all how Ringabel imagined his hot springs episode.

No kidding. The party has to go half the continent's length south, then come all the way back north on the other side of the mountain range.

Once they turn inland, the terrain quickly grows inhospitable.

All are on guard as they walk one of the twisting canyon roads.

From somewhere nearby comes a barely perceptible metallic noise...

Everyone pauses.

I sense danger...

Watch out!

*CLANG*

Master...

As with Victoria and Victor, safe bet we are not prepared for this fight.

I wish it weren't so. I wanted to believe you were not capable of such a thing!

Tell me, Master! What business have you aiding the Swordbearers in their rebellion!? Was it your intention to plunge this peaceful country into war!?

I hear you have taken up with a vestal, and now you have released two crystals to run out of control. Foolish.

You always did have a habit of running with your emotions, and not seeing the big picture. You've not changed a bit.

What big picture!? You cannot be so deluded as to think starting wars can be justified!

You are still a child if you are only able to see war as right or wrong. You are yet naive.

Though you are my disciple, and the beloved daughter of a dear friend...

I will cut you down with my own blade if you continue this folly and expose the world to danger.

Hey Kamiizumi, maybe you could try actually explaining what you're talking about?

No? Too much effort?

In the nick of time, a minion runs onscreen.

What? Can they not understand such basic tactics? We have the vestal within our grasp... But we cannot let our allies be run down like dogs.

Yes, sir!

The minion exits, and Kamiizumi makes to follow.

Edea, are you ready to face the consequences of your decision? If you still insist on defying me the next we meet, I shall slay you where you stand!

Is this how you do tactics? No wonder your allies bailed on you.

What

no

Just... just tell Edea what's going on. She asked you straight out and you're just spouting poetic bull back at her.

Disciple of the blade, no more of your insubordination will be tolerated. Understood?

And Kamiizumi strides away.

First Einheria, now this.

Writing a failure of communication is hard. Realistically, it makes sense why the Eternians aren't bothering to explain things to Edea: they're always in a hostile situation, and even if the Eternian has the upper hand, they aren't exactly going to be able relax for half an hour to explain details with their sworn enemies. Doubly so since said Eternians are usually accompanied by underlings awaiting orders, have direct orders themselves to kill/apprehend the vestal and Edea, and have been flooded with propaganda about the vestal being a mind-controlling witch (with bloodthirsty companions -- wave hi, Tiz!).

On the other hand, making the player/viewer/reader sit through scene after scene of vague threats with no context is frustrating and ultimately adds nothing to the characters aside from making them look uncooperative and often downright stupid for perpetuating a dramatic problem when given the opportunity to solve it, especially since talking is so often a free action in overdramatic fiction.

With no clue why the Eternians are against them and a whole lot of concrete evidence showing the vestal's path is righteous while the Eternians commit human rights abuses, Edea isn't about to change her mind anytime soon.

For now, we leave the party to their journey and turn instead to a new location...

Where, a short time later, Edea's master has just arrived. Oh boy, what weirdos are we going to meet this time?

Commander, the ship thought to be harboring the wind vestal has been sighted in the waters near Grandship.

The wind vestal has already arrived in these lands. I spoke with her myself a while ago, Barbarossa.

No, we did not get the chance. Some of our forces were retreating, so we opted to aid our allies as they withdrew.

This will not do! If we leave the wind vestal to her devices, we shall only repeat out failures in Caldisla and Ancheim!

The wind vestal is here for the crystal. She is no threat while the way to the temple is closed. Given the state of the war, preventing losses is crucial. The vestal can wait.

And how does your task progress, Qada? I hear the cleansing of the East City is not yet even half complete.

I-I am doing all that I can. Things are going as...well as can be expected...

Very well, then. Moving on... What is the situation at the Eisen Bridge, Praline?

Oh, me? Um, nothing's really changed there, I guess.

Those Shieldbearers just don't know when to quit. They won't let us cross the bridge. I put on a smile and sang my best, but nothing. They're a bunch of sourpusses.

Oh well, if they can't appreciate my golden voice, it's their loss. Those poor, miserable Shieldbearers.

If you can keep the main contingent of the Shieldbearers pinned down, all shall go as planned.

More importantly, have we found a way into the Temple of Fire?

He's talking to you, Konoe.

Speak up for a change, Konoe! Your moping is starting to get me down!

It is your killing of the fire vestal that blocked off the way to the temple, after all.

Ugh. I cannot fathom how one so imprudent came to lead a covert force...

Thatisall.

We should follow up on Konoe's report. Was there any way into the temple by sea?

We looked at a number of landing points, but it doesn't look possible. The coastline there is sheer palisades.

All the low ground where a landing might have been possible was covered by lava. Not even I could bring a ship in safely there.

If we just sit idly by, the wind vestal will get there before us. Hm hm hm.

We must avoid that at all costs. Our objective at this time is to focus on finding a way into the temple.

I wish all of you good luck in your endeavors. That will be all. You can return to your duties.

Eternia: villainous anti-Crystalists or misunderstood Halloween costume enthusiasts?

We return to the party wiser to the eccentricities of our future opponents.

As the party continues their journey to save the world, they destroy more native species.

At this point we've seen most of the enemy models in the game, so here on out'll be a lot of recolors.

This would make more sense anywhere but the purportedly barren soil of Eisenberg. I'm beginning to suspect Eisenberg's soil is actually the most fertile in the world, and the natives refuse to admit they have zero idea how to farm.

Meet the sexiest scorpion.

It summons a harem.

DeRosa probably studied these.

When night rolls around, we meet undead.

Eisenberg has a lot of dead, and many with good reason to hold a grudge.

Thinking back on it, we probably only survived because he let us. He seems all calm and peaceful, but as soon as he draws that sword, he's a hurricane.

Just talking about it has all the wounds he gave me throbbing...

And that same swordmaster and commander of the mercenary Black Blades is our Edea's teacher.

I'm sorry. I guess that's another secret I kept from you... But I didn't want to believe the stories.

If it is too painful for you, you are free to walk away, you know.

No one is forcing you to join us in this journey.

What?

Agnès, you don't have to say it like that.

I fear I haven't the time to hesitate or the leisure to doubt. We must press forward.

Harsh. Then again, so far as Agnès knows, if she relaxes and gets herself killed, everyone's screwed.

On the other hand, Edea just saved Agnès's life yet again. No matter what her origin, Edea's a pretty drat effective bodyguard.

Next: War is terribly inconvenient.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Master and Disciple Reunited
The Disciple's Queries
The Black Blades

Party Chat:
The Shoreline Baths
The Swordmaster's Sting

D's Journal: Edea Lee posted:

We left the house by the sea, but en route to the Shieldbearer headquarters we encountered Swordmaster Kamiizumi. If Edea had not sensed danger and pushed Agnès to the ground, her life may have been forfeit. The master and his former disciple exchanged heated words, ending only with news that the Swordbearers' attack had failed...

D's Journal: Datz posted:

A 26-year-old man from the Eisen region. He is a corporal in the Shieldbearers, and grew up with Zatz in a village near the old house. Despite his large frame, he has great manual dexterity, and is very attentive and friendly.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Small animals

D's Journal: Zatz posted:

A 26-year-old man from the Eisen region. A corporal in the Shieldbearers, he is as nimble and dexterous as he appears. He grew up with Datz in a village near the house by the sea, and they both went on to join the Shieldbearers.
Dislikes: Cats, big animals

D's Journal: Swordmaster Kamiizumi posted:

A 45-year-old man from Eternia. His full name is Nobutsuna Kamiizumi, and he holds the swordmaster asterisk. He is known far and wide as a formidable warrior and a great leader.
Dislikes: Cowardice, all forms of alcohol

We left the house by the sea, and Datz led us toward Eisen Bridge where the Shieldbearers have their headquarters. Then, the swordmaster attacked us out of nowhere. It appears we ran into his force by chance while they were on another mission. After exchanging a few words with Edea, he withdrew hastily to save the Swordbearer troops from being routed.

D's Journal: Never-ending Civil War posted:

Shieldbearers and Swordbearers: Both groups are said to have originated as militias organized to protect the fire vestal, but in time, they came to rule Eisenberg. The Shieldbearers maintained their traditional role as defenders of the Fire Temple and its vestal, while the Swordbearers evolved into a force for vanquishing enemies attacking from beyond their borders.

Shieldbearers: Drawn primarily from the ranks of devout Crystalists, the Shieldbearers are Eisenberg's official military force. They suffered a bitter defeat in the Swordbearer's sudden, bloody uprising, which was aided by a powerful mercenary force, arms from foreign lands, and the use of a toxic mist weapon. The group is now commanded by Daniel Goodman, who is barely holding back the Swordbearers' advance across the Eisen Bridge.

Swordbearers: The group whose bloody uprising four years ago sparked Eisenberg's civil war. With the aid of a foreign military group, they quickly took control of half of Eisenberg. Commanded by Yewmire Astrae, their ranks include many Anticrystalists. This has caused some to view Eisenberg's internal strife as more of a religious war pitting the mostly Anticrystalist Swordbearers against the Shieldbearers, whose ranks include many devout Crystalists.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Greyarc posted:

Eternia: villainous anti-Crystalists or misunderstood Halloween costume enthusiasts?
Can't they be both? Halloween episode reveal: we are the real monsters!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Eternians never explaining what they're talking about is one of the most frustrating parts of the narrative. You're already talking. Spend a few more words explaining WHY!

Also, it's amazing how the Black Blades manage to stand out as the most cartoonish of factions in appearance just at first glance. A samurai and a ninja, okay. Then you've got Captain Hook over there, and a clown dresses up in a lab coat. And then there's Praline. :allears:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Greyarc posted:

At this point, it looks like they've started scraping the bottom of the job class barrel.

But then you look at other games and realize you ain't seen nothing yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the asterisks end up slowly driving you mad, unless you like, tie them to a sword or something? The sword guys we've found have both been less wantonly murderous.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Praline and her class are an odd update of the classic Bard, but I still prefer her to Edward from FFIV.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

I wonder if the asterisks end up slowly driving you mad, unless you like, tie them to a sword or something? The sword guys we've found have both been less wantonly murderous.

Which sword guy? Heinkel killed all of Caldisla's knights and planned on crashing its king in an airship as a casualty, Khint was willing to kill anyone if the price was right, and Kamiizumi apparently prefers murder over a conversation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Eternians never explaining what they're talking about is one of the most frustrating parts of the narrative. You're already talking. Spend a few more words explaining WHY!

That's what really makes it annoying. If they showed up, said a few words (emphasis on few, like, a sentence or two at most) and then peaced out it'd be ok. But nope! You get a paragraph and some change and that's more than enough to drop some substantial hints to what the Eternian forces are actually after.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's a comic I wanna post that details this frustrating antic, but it's a spoiler till later on. So, I gotta wait.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Awkward Zombie one?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This one however is spoiler free and funny

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Looking forward to Barbarossa, the guy seems straight up jollier than other asterisk holders so far

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Not explaining why is one of the worst things this story does.

For if we explain, we will have no plot... or a vastly different one.

I mean, they sound like they have a reason to do what they do (Edea's father, and her teacher), but nope, not gonna tell us at all.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Not explaining why is one of the worst things this story does.

For if we explain, we will have no plot... or a vastly different one.

I mean, they sound like they have a reason to do what they do (Edea's father, and her teacher), but nope, not gonna tell us at all.
I could live with that if they weren't drawing attention to it by berating Edea for not knowing the things they refuse to tell her.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Quantum Toast posted:

I could live with that if they weren't drawing attention to it by berating Edea for not knowing the things they refuse to tell her.

Whatever reasons the Eternians and their allies had, some of them definitely needed to take a dirt nap. Like the rat and the red creeper.

But now we finally have not evil Eternians! ...except they refuse to explain.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And are also still evil although it's more 'they're on the other side of this war we've been dragged into and they're using weapons of mass destruction without much care' evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, this is about the part where the Grand Narrative starts to fall down. A lot of the individual story beats are still very strong but we're hitting the point where people who could and should start an open dialog with the party don't only because the plot of the rest of the game (very obviously at this point) could not happen if anybody with a clue about what's going on with the Eternians and their actions actually got a word in edgewise.

Well, that, and their continued employment of Obviously Evil Murder Monsters like Crowe, Profiteur, Stein, and DeRosa. A little public image cultivation by NOT keeping these folks around and on payroll could have gone a long way.