Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Jeremy Renner made more than Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle

loving lol, you could have replaced him with a potato and nobody would've cared. Nobody is watching that movie for Hawkeye.

If you want to tilt at windmills about casting you should be crying ageism over the fact that they cast a woman in her early 20s to play a character that was supposed to be middle aged. Renner was perfectly fine in his role, she looked like a kid playing dress-up and overacted the hell out of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

If you want to tilt at windmills about casting you should be crying ageism over the fact that they cast a woman in her early 20s to play a character that was supposed to be middle aged. Renner was perfectly fine in his role, she looked like a kid playing dress-up and overacted the hell out of everything.
David O. Russell gonna David O. Russell.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
BroScienceLife teamed up with The Rock's production company to make a web show.

It's as good as Ballers, I guess

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've said it before and I say it again: The Rock is not a star. He is a false god.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Josh Lyman posted:

Jeremy Renner made more than Jennifer Lawrence for American Hustle

loving lol, you could have replaced him with a potato and nobody would've cared. Nobody is watching that movie for Hawkeye.

Eh. That movie is a trickier issue and I guess Renner was coming off two Oscar nominations as well. Everyone took paycuts with back end deals to make the movie and then when Lawrence joined they agreed to take even less up front. Renner just got a back end deal that matched Cooper and Bale. If anyone got screwed on that movie it was Amy Adams.

Then again, trying to figure out Hollywood pay is a fool's errand anyway. Lawrence worked half the days on that movie than her male co-stars and isn't the lead, so should she get paid the same? On the other hand, does Lawrence deserve more as a 'hot' property? I'd argue TV pay is a little different than that, given that work is done more consistantly and the stars are more likely to be on equal footing (For example, there's no reason that Duchovny and Gillian Anderson shouldn't get the same pay).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Based on their career trajectories lately I'd say Anderson should get more. Californication and Aquarius vs. Hannibal, The Fall and American Gods? Forget about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Did the movie ever say how old she's supposed to be, or are you just assuming that the characters have to be the same age as their inspirations?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

Based on their career trajectories lately I'd say Anderson should get more. Californication

Please stop putting this song in my head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

Based on their career trajectories lately I'd say Anderson should get more. Californication and Aquarius vs. Hannibal, The Fall and American Gods? Forget about it.

I'm pretty sure Californication was vastly more successful than Hannibal or The Fall and quite a bit more than American Gods, and that's what drives actor paychecks, not quality of their work (and that's before you consider the male/female difference).

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've said it before and I say it again: The Rock is not a star. He is a false god.

I hear about how charming and charismatic The Rock is a lot more than I see it in action

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure Californication was vastly more successful than Hannibal or The Fall and quite a bit more than American Gods, and that's what drives actor paychecks, not quality of their work (and that's before you consider the male/female difference).

Yeah I should've thrown "in a perfect world" in there.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Did the movie ever say how old she's supposed to be, or are you just assuming that the characters have to be the same age as their inspirations?

I mean, on the slightly abstract level where we agree that "a 25 y/o woman playing a 40 y/o character" is emblematic of a societal problem (not saying that that's unambiguously true, just that's the assumption we're working with ere), "book-to-movie adaptation randomly decides to make characters, particularly female characters younger because you can see them on camera" is arguably emblematic of the same problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

The Rock is my religion. I'm allowed to kill you for your blasphemous words.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I should've thrown "in a perfect world" in there.

Well, in a perfect world I'd hope they get paid the same :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dancer posted:

I mean, on the slightly abstract level where we agree that "a 25 y/o woman playing a 40 y/o character" is emblematic of a societal problem (not saying that that's unambiguously true, just that's the assumption we're working with ere), "book-to-movie adaptation randomly decides to make characters, particularly female characters younger because you can see them on camera" is arguably emblematic of the same problem.

American Hustle isn't based on a book. It's an original screenplay, but based on some actual events.

The real wife of the guy Bale's character is mostly based on wasn't interesting enough for the movie, Lawrence's character is mostly original.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 2, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

American Hustle isn't based on a book. It's an original screenplay, but based on some actual events.

The real wife of the guy Bale's character is mostly based on wasn't interesting enough for the movie, Lawrence's character is mostly original.

But in making the character more interesting, is it necessary to take two decades off her age? Is a woman in her mid-forties inherently less interesting than a woman in her mid-twenties?

It's a pattern in a lot of movies that women stop existing past the age of forty, so it's important to question the assumptions that lead to the majority of roles for women being as nubile 20-something gently caress-objects (not that I'm saying that's what Lawrence was in this film specifically, but it's a general problem).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Necessary? No, but the direction they chose was a young frustrated trophy wife. And that's fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Christian Bale also had the same concerns about her age. He claims he got over it after seeing her performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bpFpBAByg

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ah, gently caress. I have to watch The Missing Pieces with my friends before we all start catching up on S3 of Twin Peaks. But I really want to just dive in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Leftovers soundtrack has to be TV Top 5 of all time. I'd be hard pressed to think of a recent show that was even remotely close to having it's music give so much weight to scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0Z51-BiBY

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 2, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Has anyone tried Gypsy on Netflix yet? It popped up after I finished Glow and it's got Naomi Watts and looks intriguing but its directed by the guy who did 50 Shades of Grey so I'm unsure.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rarity posted:

Has anyone tried Gypsy on Netflix yet? It popped up after I finished Glow and it's got Naomi Watts and looks intriguing but its directed by the guy who did 50 Shades of Grey so I'm unsure.

No thank you

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

AUDIENCE SCORE

67%
liked it

ok then

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

It's this very confusing show about this therapist who wants to cheat on her husband for reasons that are never explained who she suspects on cheating on her because his assistant is really hot and oh also their daugther is trans (maybe???) and she is a therapist who's clients all are coincidentally related to this one girl who she wants to bone to cheat on her husband but she doesn't and instead stalks here and-.

You know I could structure this sentence properly but that wouldn't give the full immersive Gypsy experience. I'm 4 episodes in by the way. I might also have a dozed off at some points because nothing makes any sense.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, gently caress. I have to watch The Missing Pieces with my friends before we all start catching up on S3 of Twin Peaks. But I really want to just dive in.

Eh. So far there's not really been a lot to The Missing Pieces that have seemed impoortant to the show. It at least confirms that Diane is a real person but the bulk of the important stuff has been in FWWM.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I haven't seen Missing Pieces and it has been fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not worried that I'm missing out on crucial information, we just wanna watch it together.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

I remember a bunch of people posted and enjoyed Hmbomberguy's big takedown of Sherlock (which I didn't really like but whatever) so I feel obligated to post a new series he's started about discussing and criticizing the critics of Bill Nye Saves the World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dklVypazQsA

I wasn't really into BNStW but I enjoyed his discussion of it.

More about some weirdo that had crazy person issues with the show than about the problems the show itself has, but an entertaining takedown of crazy person opinions nevertheless. Ice cream slut shaming was hilarious.

Actually watching a few videos on his channel the ones tearing apart crazy gamergate people are a lot more entertaining and less long winded than the Sherlock one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Midway through s4 of PoI, I think it's hilarious that Fusco still has no idea what's going on, even though he's in every episode helping with ever play.

Edit: a computer virus that "stabilizes the stock market in real time"...

That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

Edit 2: don't care anymore, this episode's amazing.

Edit again: god loving damnit, this is like a reality show where every season, they vote the best character off the show.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 3, 2017

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

The Leftovers soundtrack has to be TV Top 5 of all time. I'd be hard pressed to think of a recent show that was even remotely close to having it's music give so much weight to scenes.

This is on my playlist for when I'm running.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrVenkman posted:

I mean at the very least, Scott Caan is recognisable as being one of the guys from the OCEANS' movies. But who the gently caress knows anything of Alex O'Loughlin other than an ill-advised stint on the THE SHIELD when it was rumoured that FX forced him into the show. But when that show started, Dae Kim and Park were easily the most recognisable members of the cast.

I haven't watched it regularly since the second season or so when it weirdly started becoming little more than an hour of breathless military worship, but catching the odd episode since then, it seems to be a way to keep the Lost cast members who never left Hawaii employed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
and all the others are employed on Once Upon A Time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

less laughter posted:

and all the others are employed on Once Upon A Time

The showrunners of OUAT were part of the Lost writers room. There's a lot of Lost in OUAT, particularly on the flashbacks and the making poo poo up as they go along fronts. It's what you'd get if you put Lost and The 13th Kingdom in a blender.

(But seriously, I like OUAT.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

I JUST started watching Leftovers and I could have sworn the piano refrain they play (at least the first two episodes) was Helen's Theme from Candyman.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
New season of Killjoys has started! If you liked Lost Girl it has the same creator. It's like Firefly's flamboyantly gay big brother. Or Lost Girl in fabulous space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In complete and total bummer news, Donal Logue's 16 year old daughter has gone missing.
https://twitter.com/donallogue/status/881550678166056961

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

In complete and total bummer news, Donal Logue's 16 year old daughter has gone missing.
https://twitter.com/donallogue/status/881550678166056961

She's been missing for a while now and my heart breaks for him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The AVClub says they aren't doing recaps for I'm Dying Up Here anymore because the show sucks. I've never seen this before. Even if they don't like it they usually finish the season at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've been getting pretty picky about what exactly they'll cover, dropping shows that either are really bad (but not in an entertaining way) or shows that the reviews just don't do very much traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Univision have kinda tightened the screws since taking over- especially as clickbait and Trump news bites get more traffic than the in depth stuff.

The race to the bottom in action.

• Locked thread