Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The LGBT and Jewish community are forever intertwined together because of one of the greatest atrocities committed by man. It was supporters of the Jewish people who not only helped Jews escape the Nazis but targeted homosexuals as well. We as a community have a shared trauma with the Jewish people. To not recognize that and to say that you can't fly the Jewish Star of David is not only anti semitic , but insulting to the thousands of homosexuals who died alongside the Jewish people in the Holocaust.

It's loving bullshit and absofuckinglutely outrageous that someone using the Jewish Star of David on a Rainbow Flag would be asked to take that down.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigRed0427 posted:

Welp, this won't end well.

quote:

The annual Dyke March is billed as a more inclusive event

I don't think that word means what they think it means.

Also, the Supreme Court tells Arkansas to stop dicking around with the birth certificates of kids with lesbian moms.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-992_868c.pdf

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hollismason posted:

The LGBT and Jewish community are forever intertwined together because of one of the greatest atrocities committed by man. It was supporters of the Jewish people who not only helped Jews escape the Nazis but targeted homosexuals as well. We as a community have a shared trauma with the Jewish people. To not recognize that and to say that you can't fly the Jewish Star of David is not only anti semitic , but insulting to the thousands of homosexuals who died alongside the Jewish people in the Holocaust.

It's loving bullshit and absofuckinglutely outrageous that someone using the Jewish Star of David on a Rainbow Flag would be asked to take that down.

Also if you read the LGB thread in GBS, according to a couple of people who were there, everyone at that march who was using a star of david on a rainbow flag to express being gay and jewish was thrown out, not just the one pro-Israel person.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I could see it as making sense if someone was straight up carrying the actual Israel flag with no changes. But nobody seems to have done that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The only photos I've seen of the actual flags in question (as opposed to stock photos from other Jewish LGBT events) clearly have a blue Star of David.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Barry Convex posted:

The only photos I've seen of the actual flags in question (as opposed to stock photos from other Jewish LGBT events) clearly have a blue Star of David.

Just a blue star of david on its own or on a flag isn't the flag of Israel.

Just like having some stripes and some stars doesn't mean you got a flag of the US.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
If only these dipshits had been kicked out:

https://twitter.com/benjamindichter/status/879697283499085824

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What is this lovely "because it's the current year" meme I see occasionally attached to conservative internet things?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least their acronym is honest about their trans erasure. :catstare:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

The Shortest Path posted:

What is this lovely "because it's the current year" meme I see occasionally attached to conservative internet things?

it started as them identifying (correctly, i personally feel), that "it's 2017" isn't a good argument point for anything, since liberals/SJWs (one of which I am) tend to say it a lot, now they rebut like a child with "BECAUSE iT'S CURRENT YEAR"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

landgrabber posted:

it started as them identifying (correctly, i personally feel), that "it's 2017" isn't a good argument point for anything, since liberals/SJWs (one of which I am) tend to say it a lot, now they rebut like a child with "BECAUSE iT'S CURRENT YEAR"

I also see it a lot as "Come on, it's 2017, homophobia and racism are over, you won, stop getting worked up about [insert racist or homophobic issue here]!"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Also, HOLY poo poo. How are Pride events not about identity politics?

Now i'm sad because all of CT's Pride events aren't till September.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigRed0427 posted:

really? that's weird. is it more of a college area thing? cause you'd think they'd have SOMETHING for pride month

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Shortest Path posted:

In this case it's a specific reference to Justin Trudeau saying "It's 2015" in response to questions about his policy to make half his cabinet women.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

really? that's weird. is it more of a college area thing? cause you'd think they'd have SOMETHING for pride month

I don't know, Maybe they don't wanna compete with New York or Boston Pride Events but also don't wanna hold them in the dead of summer? Hartford Pride starts on the 6th (http://www.hartfordpride.com/) and New Haven Pride doesn't even have a set date yet. Mainly because its a much smaller thing that's only been going for a couple of years. A fer of the other towns also hold their own Pride things but their small scale as well.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't know, Maybe they don't wanna compete with New York or Boston Pride Events but also don't wanna hold them in the dead of summer? Hartford Pride starts on the 6th (http://www.hartfordpride.com/) and New Haven Pride doesn't even have a set date yet. Mainly because its a much smaller thing that's only been going for a couple of years. A fer of the other towns also hold their own Pride things but their small scale as well.

Richmond does the same thing for some weird reason. I think like Connecticut it's to avoid conflict with major big-time Pride events, in our case DC Pride.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Atlanta does pride in. ...Sept or Oct, I forget, but that's to make sure the entire parade doesn't drop dead from heat stroke.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thalantos posted:

Atlanta does pride in. ...Sept or Oct, I forget, but that's to make sure the entire parade doesn't drop dead from heat stroke.

Also something to do with drought in the park.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

there wolf posted:

Also something to do with drought in the park.

Same related topic, I mean, it is hot as balls out right now, I'm drenched in sweat from just standing outside for a few minutes.

Actual physical exertion? Lol, nope.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Thalantos posted:

Same related topic, I mean, it is hot as balls out right now, I'm drenched in sweat from just standing outside for a few minutes.

Actual physical exertion? Lol, nope.

I asked a close acquaintance of mine whose on Atlanta pride committee, she said they moved it to October because it's just too hot right now, and attendance slipped in the past

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thalantos posted:

I asked a close acquaintance of mine whose on Atlanta pride committee, she said they moved it to October because it's just too hot right now, and attendance slipped in the past

Pride events in Florida are typically scheduled for winter, and for the same reason. Too drat hot and it rains almost every day between May and September. The town I grew up in had Pride in February.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

BigRed0427 posted:

Just more proof that CT is the worst state in New England :smuggo:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cythereal posted:

Pride events in Florida are typically scheduled for winter, and for the same reason. Too drat hot and it rains almost every day between May and September. The town I grew up in had Pride in February.

Maybe in the lovely parts, Tampa has ours in March and St. Pete had theirs last weekend.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Germany legalises same sex marriage
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40441712

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ite_sex_couples

Texas Supreme Court has rejected ruling that same sex couples are entitles to the same benefits as hetero couples.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Texas Supreme Court has rejected ruling that same sex couples are entitles to the same benefits as hetero couples.

That seems like it's a nearly mandatory Supreme Court case now.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

That seems like it's a nearly mandatory Supreme Court case now.

The question now is will the SCOTUS just kill marriage equality going forward or will they retroactively void existing marriages, and even if they allow marriages to stand will they allow the government to ignore them re: benefits.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Glazier posted:

The question now is will the SCOTUS just kill marriage equality going forward or will they retroactively void existing marriages, and even if they allow marriages to stand will they allow the government to ignore them re: benefits.

The Supreme Court is presently constituted in precisely the same ideological manner as it was when Obergefell was decided.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

The Supreme Court is presently constituted in precisely the same ideological manner as it was when Obergefell was decided.

Except we now have a Republican President and Congress for the foreseeable future, so Kennedy might want to burnish his legacy with conservatives.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Glazier posted:

Except we now have a Republican President and Congress for the foreseeable future, so Kennedy might want to burnish his legacy with conservatives.

Kennedy is absolutely not going to burnish his legacy with conservatives by overturning himself, Jesus Christ. I understand that this is your thing but nothing that you have suggested is in anyway how the Supreme Court works. You should start worrying when one of the liberal justices or Kennedy dies, or retires, and is successfully replaced by a Republican president. Not before.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Even then, you have to look at precedent. The SCOTUS does not trivially overturn its own rulings.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The only legacy Kennedy cares about burmishing is what he thinks history books will say about him anyway.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Liquid Communism posted:

Even then, you have to look at precedent. The SCOTUS does not trivially overturn its own rulings.

I hope so, but my well is starting to run dry.🤞🏾

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Gorsuch implicitly accepted Obergefell as state decisis in his dissent to the Arkansas smackdown earlier this week.
And to second Quorum, as a judge appointed for life who has and will continue to make is own history, Kennedy doesn't give a rat's rear end about what some congressman in 2017 could say (but who couldn't actually do diddly-squat to Kennedy)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Digging into this a bit, it appears the Texas court received a whole bunch of postcards, emails, etc. from shithead bigots, which they decided to treat as amicus briefs. Totally-not-coincidentally, Texas elects its Supreme Court justices instead of appointing them, and their re-election comes up shortly.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So basically Gay marriage now means loving nothing because the Texas Supreme Court are a bunch of ducking cowards.

gently caress this country

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah it's the ultimate semantic legal argument. " The Supreme Court said they could have marriage licenses not any of the benefits of marriage".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BigRed0427 posted:

So basically Gay marriage now means loving nothing because the Texas Supreme Court are a bunch of ducking cowards.

gently caress this country

Well, not in the whole country. And its going to be more showboating ending in being told to shut up.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing this end any other way besides the Supreme Court going "you know what we goddamn meant, quit being idiots!".

• Locked thread