Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Back in the day" for me is Prime Time so uh

Prime Time

E: Old school favorite is definitely Birds of Paradise though

same, except wurmcoil engine instead

the 6th titan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

And colossus of sardia! I always liked Maro and the 8/8 trampler with GGGG upkeep cost for my little kid timmy beaters bc antiquities cards were hard to find.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PleasantDirge posted:

And colossus of sardia! I always liked Maro and the 8/8 trampler with GGGG upkeep cost for my little kid timmy beaters bc antiquities cards were hard to find.

Yeah, Leviathan, Colossus of Sardia, and Force of nature were definitely 3 of my 5 favorite creatures when I was little, along with Shivan Dragon and Royal Assassin.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Pre-Prerelease is on, up first is Marshall Deck building

https://www.twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
One of my very first decks with any sort of coherent strategy was a mono-black monstrosity with multiple "combos".

Lord of the Pit + Breeding Pit. Lord of the Pit was amazing back then and this way there was no drawback.
Nettling Imp/Norritt + Sorceress Queen + Sengir Vampire/Krovikan Vampire
Nettling Imp/Norritt + Royal Assassin.
Sengir Autocrat + Hecatomb
Icy Manipulator + Royal Assassin/Nettling Imp/Norritt.

It was probably an 80+ card deck but nobody knew any better back then in our casual playgroup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Speaking of "memorable" assassins and good ol'magic art, one of my friends always had this in their deck (and since we played multiplayer in a group of 5 or 6, it was there virtually every game)

Felt like it came out of a knock off or budget release.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
BUTCHER ORGG

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

PYF creature from "back in the day"

Spiritmonger
Mystic Enforcer
Terravore
Not my favorite but I remember a buddy of mine trading for a signed copy of Nantuko Shade back when it was in Standard and it being a big deal

I want to say Phyrexian Plaguelord in honor of Sol Malka but it's really Nightmare. The first deck I ever owned was a BR deck a friend gave me and the first change I remember making was to add a Blanket of Night to help out my singleton Nightmare. It was stupid but hey

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Avatar of Might - the precon with him was my first set of cards ever.

Dominating Licid - also a really cool creature I think came in a tempest precon.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of "memorable" assassins and good ol'magic art, one of my friends always had this in their deck (and since we played multiplayer in a group of 5 or 6, it was there virtually every game)

Felt like it came out of a knock off or budget release.
That is some amazing anti-synergy. It's a one card nonbo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Grifter posted:

That is some amazing anti-synergy. It's a one card nonbo.

Tap a guy on their turn, untap, destroy it?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Favorite creature from back in the day: Skyshroud Troll! How do you even kill it!?

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Palinchron
Scalpelexis
Every Urza's Saga bulk rare

I also remember being terrified of Craw Wurm when I was seven years old and all our decks were just 4th Ed tournament packs, out of the box. (Never mind that one of the rares in mine was Royal Assassin).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Back in the day, I was beating up on Jund decks with the likes of Goblin Guide and Ball Lightning while some of my opponents lamented that they wish they had old frame copies of Lightning Bolt instead.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Once the initial surprise wore off, Spiritmonger actually wasn't that oppressive because it was in an environment where Terminate, Wrath of God and Counterspell were still printable. Also you could just block it forever with a Nightscape Familiar, at least in theory.

Spiritmonger was an interesting experiment in that it showed that they could push the power level of creatures safely, as long as the answers/alternative gameplans were also good. Unfortunately fifteen years later they've forgotten the second half of that equation and here we are

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Speaking of answers not being good:

I assume we're going to get a Scorching Spear reprint in Ixalan, and that'll be our red burn. No, wait, it can target players, clearly it's too strong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zemyla posted:

I assume we're going to get a Scorching Spear reprint in Ixalan, and that'll be our red burn. No, wait, it can target players, clearly it's too strong.

lightening strike for 3 is dumb.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's not intended for constructed. It'll be one of the better red commons.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Zemyla posted:

Yeah I don't get what wotc has against Lightning Bolt, or even Lightning Strike, but they are determined to make red worse, and it's almost never been the best.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If Open Fire cost 2, we probably wouldn't have Abrade in the set. And as a Limited player, I'd rather have more removal than less.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
lol at Marshal on the pre-pre release opening up a Life Goes On

"If this wasn't a Wizard's stream I would rip this up"

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Tainen posted:

lol at Marshal on the pre-pre release opening up a Life Goes On

"If this wasn't a Wizard's stream I would rip this up"

basically a cornerstone for the set as a whole

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Would Solar Blast have been such a bad reprint? It even fits flavor-wise.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Spiritmonger
Mystic Enforcer
Terravore
Not my favorite but I remember a buddy of mine trading for a signed copy of Nantuko Shade back when it was in Standard and it being a big deal

The first ever deck I built was U/G counterspells and land destruction, building up to Gaea's Liege with Instill Energy. It also played Force of Nature and Island Fish Jasconius. Get on my level.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Some off the top of my head (bunch of different reasons)

Oh poo poo how'd I forget this one.

Marketing New Brain posted:

The first ever deck I built was U/G counterspells and land destruction, building up to Gaea's Liege with Instill Energy. It also played Force of Nature and Island Fish Jasconius. Get on my level.

The first deck I can remember really vetting and tuning was a RW Goblins deck around Onslaught, trying to get Skirk Fire Marshall equipped with Spirit Link to gain a shitload of life and win with Test of Endurance. I am was bad at the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Apparently netdecking existed back then because you stole my deck! It even had 1 copy of each Urza's land.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Afflict looks dumb.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

netcat posted:

I like most of the old Amy Weber stuff though I know people like to poo poo on her illustrations. Also best Homarid art :3:

I actually just bought some Amy Weber art to go by my other magic artists, they are being matted and frame right now along with my Melissa Benson sketches

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

OgreNoah posted:

Yeah I don't get what wotc has against Lightning Bolt, or even Lightning Strike, but they are determined to make red worse, and it's almost never been the best.

"Red's bad" they say, in a format with Temur Energy, Temurge, Mardu, and I guess Golgari.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Apparently netdecking existed back then because you stole my deck! It even had 1 copy of each Urza's land.

Glad to see someone updated my list. I say my list because Tron lands didn't exist when I made this deck, I actually stopped playing/buying cards after fallen empires for the most part. I had a few mirage packs which we all thought were neat but actual nobody understood phasing back then, it was like banding part 2.

My greatest achievement in this time period was opening Balduvian Horde in the ~3 Aliiances packs I had and instantly selling it for 20 dollars because gently caress playing red.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think my fav creatures through time:

Basking rootwalla
Wild mongrel
Thieving magpie
Hedron crab
Judges familiar

Edit - flickerwisp too now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Glad to see someone updated my list. I say my list because Tron lands didn't exist when I made this deck, I actually stopped playing/buying cards after fallen empires for the most part. I had a few mirage packs which we all thought were neat but actual nobody understood phasing back then, it was like banding part 2.

My greatest achievement in this time period was opening Balduvian Horde in the ~3 Aliiances packs I had and instantly selling it for 20 dollars because gently caress playing red.

Island Fish was Arabian Nights. Urza's lands were Antiquities. YOUR STORY IS FULL OF HOLES!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

uggy posted:

Thieving magpie

Yaassss

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zemyla posted:

Would Solar Blast have been such a bad reprint? It even fits flavor-wise.

They made something like that in Amonkhet already. Just doesn't hit players.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

MrBling posted:

One of my very first decks with any sort of coherent strategy was a mono-black monstrosity with multiple "combos".
Sengir Autocrat + Hecatomb

This was me, too. And Delraich! With Dark Ritual, you could get a 6/6 trampler (and a 2/2) on turn 2! Wow! It was so powerful, I actually decided to cut some other cards and put in... multiple copies of Dark Ritual. A daring move, abandoning the obvious strategy of all-1-ofs and diluting the all-important stat of "different cool things the deck can do", but it worked out okay.

I couldn't cut the Pit Imp, though. That lil' 0/1 buddy was the secret tech against everyone else at school. They'd all bought the Stronghold precons and were jamming ultra boring Ensnaring Bridge + Millstone nonsense.

... Actually, people are still doing exactly that in Modern, huh. Some things never change.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

C-Euro posted:

Spiritmonger
Mystic Enforcer
Terravore

The Best Fatty Ever Printed, of course.

Verdant Force for life.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

My favorite creature from back in the day is Denizen of the Deep like wtf how can you beat an 11/11? And when I started playing again it was definitely Krenko, that's still one of the coolest cards ever printed.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I kinda want to play some 93/94 sometimes, just to play a format where Serra Angel is an amazing creature once again.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
My favorites when I first played were Royal Assassin, Drudge Skeletons, and Tim.

In fact I remember writing Tim's ability and the Royal Assassin's ability on an extra Drudge Skeleton with a ballpoint pen and trying to use it at Magic Club. I later cut out other abilities from different cards and glue sticked them to a Drudge Skeleton to make a Drudge King. Never did it with a Royal Assassin though because I only had two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Mahamoti Djinn was my homeboy.

Edit: And Ali from Cairo / Old Man of the Sea