Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Prismatics are pretty good and I've heard nice things about pacifier frags.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Been playing on PS4 for a couple days. Man did I forget how good the Cobra is. I think I'm gonna stick to small ships for a good while.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Prismatics are good for gimmick builds and PvP, in bog standard PvE I haven't been wowed enough to recommend them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Efexeye posted:

it's fun if you have another monitor to watch TV on; I mined in game exclusively for the first 8 months.

here's a good resource: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Miner

I've never mined, but it looks like the type 9 isn't a recommended mining vessel. I really don't want to retire my grape ape :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've never mined, but it looks like the type 9 isn't a recommended mining vessel. I really don't want to retire my grape ape :(

did all mine in a type 6. you can own multiple ships, you know :)

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Fly it anyway because you enjoy using that ship for that activity? If you care about ~*OPTIMAL EFFICIENCY*~ then fly something else. If you don't, fly what you find fun to fly.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Is there an up-to-date, well formatted guide to unlocking the Engineers that anyone recommends?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Is there an up-to-date, well formatted guide to unlocking the Engineers that anyone recommends?

Yes, this one!

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

The guide is written with a clueless idiot in mind. It's based primarily on my own experiences in getting max rank with everyone. It is factually correct as of this time. I am constantly updating it, adding poo poo that I come across that might be useful Give it a read and let me know if it helps.

If someone wants to help me convert it into a forum post I'd be down for that too.

Note: the ai got smarter about mines. :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

HJE-Cobra posted:

Also, a note for our new console friends, this fantastic flight stick works on a PS4:

The Thrustmaster HOTAS 4. If you can find it properly in stock somewhere reasonable, it can be as low as like 60-70 bucks. Just in case you guys weren't aware. These things are pretty sweet for the price. They're not the most amazing ones for sale, but they are the most affordable! AND they work on the PS4!

Note that the blue version here is the PS4 one, there's a similar Thrustmaster HOTAS X which is red works on the PS3. Don't get that one for a PS4, you'll probably be sad.

Both of them work on the PC, I've got the red one. It works pretty well, and you can't beat it for the price. Definitely A++++ would buy again.

I've been playing on pc with an xbox controller which I am pretty comfortable with, however have been thinking of picking up a flight stick. Any reason to pick this one up over the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick? Or should I save the $20 and get that one?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Harminoff posted:

I've been playing on pc with an xbox controller which I am pretty comfortable with, however have been thinking of picking up a flight stick. Any reason to pick this one up over the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick? Or should I save the $20 and get that one?

I got the Logitech version of the X-52 and it's :krad:

It is $150, but :homebrew:

To answer the question you actually asked, between those two I think it comes down to layout preference.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Harminoff posted:

They're identical it's just that one works on the pc/ps4 and the hotas x works on the pc/ps3.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I got the Logitech version of the X-52 and it's :krad:

It is $150, but :homebrew:

To answer the question you actually asked, between those two I think it comes down to layout preference.

I upgraded to an x-52, and all of the extra buttons and the over-all comfort are a nice upgrade. I do miss the HOTAS X though, for one simple reason: the throttle had a detente that clicked in the center of the range, which is amazing for this game obvs. I've been considering modding my x-52 to do the same instead of clicking at the two ends.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Every day, it's the bee's knees. Just big enough to fit my ergonomic keyboard (hangs off a bit on the left, but it's absurdly large) with room for my super-gel mouse pad. For elite I put the keyboard on the couch's arm rest, with the hotas and mouse on the lappad.
:parrot:

This is a good recommendation and I'm going to get one with the hotus but if they don't make a new Armored Core I can use it with I am going to blame you

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

I upgraded to an x-52, and all of the extra buttons and the over-all comfort are a nice upgrade. I do miss the HOTAS X though, for one simple reason: the throttle had a detente that clicked in the center of the range, which is amazing for this game obvs. I've been considering modding my x-52 to do the same instead of clicking at the two ends.

I took the detente out of mine and love it even more. It is a simple, if slightly nerve-wracking procedure. There are videos on YouTube with the play by play, if you're interested.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've mined a whole lot, because I'm a weirdo who cares way more about having a chill, immersive experience in a cool ship than min-maxing an Anaconda. The Type-9 is fine, IMO. If you have one and like it, just use it. It's got good cargo space, obviously, and if you're used to dragging its fat rear end around already, you won't have any trouble crashing into rocks.

That said, I've only tried mining in a Type-9 twice. The first was before collector limpets, IIRC, and fffffuck manually scooping that much ore. The second was when interdiction evasion got way harder/impossible for a patch or two, which resulted in me getting my rear end handed to me by pirates on the way home a little a little too often. These days neither of those problems should be an issue. Recently I spent some fun times mining in a stripped down, lightweight Cutter; seems like a Type-9 wouldn't offer that different of a mining experience...?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 1, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Really if the thrustmaster had just a few more buttons there would be no reason for other hotases.

By the way, how are people who use drainpipes as a hotas mount stopping them wobbling around? Just really thick pipes and shitloads of glue?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Surprise Giraffe posted:

By the way, how are people who use drainpipes as a hotas mount stopping them wobbling around? Just really thick pipes and shitloads of glue?

You know how cast material (for broken bones) can be wound flexibly around a limb, then dries rock hard?

Now imagine that but with grognard cum-socks

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 1, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Really if the thrustmaster had just a few more buttons there would be no reason for other hotases.

2" PVC cemented at all the joints is pretty rock solid.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

vorebane posted:

Yes, this one!

Note: the ai got smarter about mines. :(

Hot drat, this is perfect, thank you!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Enos Cabell posted:

2" PVC cemented at all the joints is pretty rock solid.

Could also fill the bottom section with sand or something for extra not-going-anywhere-ness.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I took the detente out of mine and love it even more. It is a simple, if slightly nerve-wracking procedure. There are videos on YouTube with the play by play, if you're interested.

I ripped mine out too when I ripped out the mouse thing, I've basically ripped the thing to bits ooops

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Trustworthy posted:

I've mined a whole lot, because I'm a weirdo who cares way more about having a chill, immersive experience in a cool ship than min-maxing an Anaconda. The Type-9 is fine, IMO. If you have one and like it, just use it. It's got good cargo space, obviously, and if you're used to dragging its fat rear end around already, you won't have any trouble crashing into rocks.

That said, I've only tried mining in a Type-9 twice. The first was before collector limpets, IIRC, and fffffuck manually scooping that much ore. The second was when interdiction evasion got way harder/impossible for a patch or two, which resulted in me getting my rear end handed to me by pirates on the way home a little a little too often. These days neither of those problems should be an issue. Recently I spent some fun times mining in a stripped down, lightweight Cutter; seems like a Type-9 wouldn't offer that different of a mining experience...?

Yeah, I was already planning on nosediving into random parts of rings to avoid pirates at the mining sites. Thanks guys!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I will also comment that the interdiction mini-game (and precision flying in general) was pretty much impossible for me until I upgraded my control scheme.

For those of you out there using that old joystick from 10 years ago: loving get Upgrayedd.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just grabbed this for PS4 and every time I approach the space station at the end of the docking tutorial and lower my landing gear as instructed my throttle gets stuck open and I end up fighting my engines with the lateral thrust stick all the way in. The instructions don't mention it, but am I supposed to come to a halt manually before dropping gear? I found a video in which the guy flies all the way to the pad before doing it but the game is very insistent that I do it in space outside.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

Just grabbed this for PS4 and every time I approach the space station at the end of the docking tutorial and lower my landing gear as instructed my throttle gets stuck open and I end up fighting my engines with the lateral thrust stick all the way in. The instructions don't mention it, but am I supposed to come to a halt manually before dropping gear? I found a video in which the guy flies all the way to the pad before doing it but the game is very insistent that I do it in space outside.

Drop gear whenever you want, you just can't land until they are deployed. I usually drop ~1km from landing to help slow me down.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
Bought the game on steam. An hour later I had to file a support ticket thanks to an email validation code loop. Thnx Frontier.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drop gear whenever you want, you just can't land until they are deployed. I usually drop ~1km from landing to help slow me down.

Yeah but the problem is, that doesn't actually slow me down. If I hit the button and put the controller down, my ship flies forward. If I pull back on the stick, my ship flies backward and returns to forward once I let go. I have to keep my finger on the stick to stay in the same place, but I need that finger for my vertical thrust bindings.

I was able to land better by binding something to zero throttle and hitting that after dropping the gear, just looking for confirmation that's the best way to do it (or confirmation that this is not normal and it glitched out or something).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

Yeah but the problem is, that doesn't actually slow me down. If I hit the button and put the controller down, my ship flies forward. If I pull back on the stick, my ship flies backward and returns to forward once I let go. I have to keep my finger on the stick to stay in the same place, but I need that finger for my vertical thrust bindings.

I was able to land better by binding something to zero throttle and hitting that after dropping the gear, just looking for confirmation that's the best way to do it (or confirmation that this is not normal and it glitched out or something).

Hmmmm...sounds like something wonky with the controller setup. Deploying landing gear should significantly reduce your thrust. Are you using the default ps4 controls? Did you perhaps accidentally bind some odd keys to the "alternate landing controls"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did change the bindings a bit. R1 and R2 now control throttle in space but roll during landings. Vertical thrust during landings is on dpad up and down. Alternate controls should not be enabled since I unbound the key to swap to them.

I can live with manual throttle cut (put it on R1 and R2 together) since I'm happy with the rest of the setup. Once the game is listening to me docking is not as hard as I was warned; all that time spent in KSP is paying off.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What do people mean when they talk about their home system?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Home is where the heart is

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
It probably sounds ridiculous, but it feels good (to me) to successfully land inside a space station. Took a bit of practice, but I can confidently not gently caress it up.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

I am having this same problem too: throttle is permanently stuck forward while landing. Which control scheme (e.g. Alternate? Default? Landing override?) and what button did you bind to zero thrust?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just map a button to kill all engines (this also helps with mining)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Put a docking computer in your spaceship and never worry about docking again.

Until it docks you into the side of a spacestation with a big ol' explosion.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

please note that killing all engines will not bring you to a stop, you still have to counteract momentum with reverse thrust at some point

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Trustworthy posted:

Where to look for mining info/locations? Is it mostly just chillin in space with not that much income?

Never tried mining and with limpets it seems alright to try out for the experience.

By the way, did they implement the module-selling money loss? I think it was being discussed at some point and now there's storage...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I am having this same problem too: throttle is permanently stuck forward while landing. Which control scheme (e.g. Alternate? Default? Landing override?) and what button did you bind to zero thrust?

I ended up binding kill throttle to R1+R2 (both at once). This is what all my bindings look like now:

Space (throttle/thrust/rotation sections):
Right stick: Pitch and yaw
Left stick: Vertical and lateral thrusters
R3/L3: Roll
R1/R2: Throttle

Landing (landing override section):
Right stick: Pitch and yaw
Left stick: Lateral and forward-backward thrusters
R1/R2: Roll
Dpad up/down: Vertical thrust

Alternate controls are disabled by unbinding the activation key (press X on the control, then press option when it asks you what button to use).

I also put motion headlook on R3+L3, which is great for looking around during the parts where you don't have to steer the ship and maintaining ~immersion~ by looking over at panels to use instead of pressing the go to panel button. Still wish this had shipped with PSVR support :(

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

It probably sounds ridiculous, but it feels good (to me) to successfully land inside a space station. Took a bit of practice, but I can confidently not gently caress it up.

No it sounds reasonable to me, I rather enjoy a good landing even after my hundreds of hours of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Wait until you get an Anaconda or an Orca

• Locked thread