Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hedningen posted:

On amps, to avoid making this Amplifiers: Dogs Are Basically Tube Amps When You Think About It, what's the recommended supplies for gigging with tube amps?

I just take another amp these days :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://www.seymourduncan.com/power-amp/powerstage-700

Thoughts on this? I've been thinking about putting together some kind of small form not real tube amp but not a modeler pedal based setup for a while. I love how that sounds.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thoughts on this? I've been thinking about putting together some kind of small form not real tube amp but not a modeler pedal based setup for a while. I love how that sounds.

Holy poo poo I've been looking for this.

Edit: I'd been planning on finding some cheap qsc but maybe this'll do the trick.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

At some point in the near future, I'm probably going to throw a Kemper/Axe and this in a rack and call it a day.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I bought a Verellen Meatsmoke preamp and they sell a separate 700w solid state/class D amp to pair with it. They are about the same price. Hmmm.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm consistently impressed by SD's non pickup hardware. It's all very underrated for obvious reasons.The prices are usually fair and from my shallow experience it's built to take a beating.

Every 4-5 months I go through this period where I realize I should put together a clean pedal platform ideal for low volume playing and simple recording. I love traditional amps more than anything but it's not like I ever crank mine anywhere near it ting that nice tube compression. It would make a lot more sense to have a perfect clean tone at any level and build my gain via pedals.

The Axe FX etc is completely uninteresting because I want a basic well tuned amp not a computer with menus so something like the PowerStsge would be great.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 2, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they make a 170 watt pedal version that's kinda meh but it would be pretty rad to stick that, my goofass amptweaker distortion, and something like an amt f1 for cleans on a small board and say gently caress it

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't think compression is the only reason to use a tube amp, but I'm weird and like clean EL34 amps. Seymour Duncan's pedals have impressed me, though. I have the Twin Tube Classic and Mayhem, and they're pretty good. I just got rid of most of my amps that do preamp distortion, so those pedals are getting used again.

In short, Duncan hardware good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

170 watt pedal version that's kinda meh

Any reason why? Just the wattage I guess? That one would probably be ideal for me. It should have all the headroom necessary.

fake edit ugh man a 2lb power amp on my pedalboard plugged into either my orange cab or a daw sounds sick as hell

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 2, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Any reason why? Just the wattage I guess? That one would probably be ideal for me. It should have all the headroom necessary.

every demo sounds like someone playing pedals through a roland cube

which is fine in a pinch but it's nothing amazing

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So V1 died and I noodled around and ordered a replacement. Yeah, I pretty much went for the snake-oil. The hype. I put in a JJ/Tesla ECC83S "Gold" tube. I'll mic it up and see if it survives a recording session.
In the meantime it's burning in.

I took a couple pictures because I like these tube pics.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

The sound. It cut out.

My amp... it was whispering. It stopped shouting and started whispering. All the knobs worked, but the thing was quiet as a mouse. "OMFG what have I done?!" is what I am thinking. I was so sure my work was clean and perfect and now my amp is dead, where did I go wrong?!?!

This became so common in my shop with JJ's last year that I stopped stocking them. Lots of JJ preamp tubes that tested low, intermittent, and or shorted right out of the box. Had a hellacious month of warranty work with amps that returned with low, or no output. The amp would work consistently before being cleared to leave and come back a couple weeks later. My supplier chalked it up as a normal event but it was something like 6 out of every 10 tubes affected in the 12ax7, at7, au7 etc family. Hadn't had a problem with JJ up until then but I've since moved onto Shuguang preamp tubes. Those have their own issues with increased likelihood of microphonics early on into use, but they consistently peg my tube tester with good emission ratings and have a similar mid-high tone to JJ's albeit a little grainier.

All that being said I still stock JJ power tubes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

no dad im not gay! posted:

This became so common in my shop with JJ's last year that I stopped stocking them. Lots of JJ preamp tubes that tested low, intermittent, and or shorted right out of the box. Had a hellacious month of warranty work with amps that returned with low, or no output. The amp would work consistently before being cleared to leave and come back a couple weeks later. My supplier chalked it up as a normal event but it was something like 6 out of every 10 tubes affected in the 12ax7, at7, au7 etc family. Hadn't had a problem with JJ up until then but I've since moved onto Shuguang preamp tubes. Those have their own issues with increased likelihood of microphonics early on into use, but they consistently peg my tube tester with good emission ratings and have a similar mid-high tone to JJ's albeit a little grainier.

All that being said I still stock JJ power tubes.
Thanks for the input. I've only recently tried to become a tube snob so I'll keep it in mind. My friends who are JJ devotees will not want to hear any of this so I'll keep it to myself just to avoid anecdotal arguments.

I kinda doubt my amp is eating V1 tubes (why would it? The mods I performed don't affect them AFAIK?) but I'll be sharing clips and talking tubes after this purchase/installation. I've never heard of Shuguang preamp tubes but like I said, I just came back to tubes.

I recall buying Groove Tubes in the mid 90's and they were supposedly great if they were not Chinese. So much FUD, and that was over twenty years ago.

The amp is full on and still burning in. The next demos I record will be full-preamp gain. You guys will be the first to know.

I think my hang-up is that the V1 was fine for over a month, then went half-dead and scared the hell out of me. Then again, it was an $11 Slovenian JJ ECC83S. Maybe the others will croak, too?

I'll report my results.

Thanks again for your perspective. Things change.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Early Chinese production tubes were garbage, yea. They have come a LONG way though and clearly are serious about producing good product where others in the Chinese market is happy to copy American goods with inferior quality. Evidence: 5-6 years ago Shuguang bought old tooling used by RCA in the '50s-'60s to remake their famous "blackplate" 6L6GC tube. That later was marketed by Groove Tubes as the GT-6L6CHP, a fantastic new production tube.

I believe the majority of Groove Tubes circa 90's were Yugoslavian (Ei) and Russia (Reflektor, later Sovtek) though. Chinese production vaccum tubes really hadn't entered the market quite yet, at least as manufacturer OEM. Now it's uncommon to find a new mass-produced amp that doesn't come with Chinese tubes. A hot tip is to study old Groove Tubes promotional literature and learn to spot their old packaging and silk-screening in the wild. You can still find NOS 90's Groove Tubes stuff sold for cheap and often it's NOS mil-spec Soviet military surplus. Sometimes even American NOS. Tube snobbery was a nascent thing then. Once the internet hit its stride and people started comparing notes is when prices started going up.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE JJ's. It seems though they're in another rough patch as far as QC goes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got Tung Sol pre amp tubes and Mullard reissue power tubes, I know tubes get re labelled and made in various places but they have been really good, just throwing that in there

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I've got Tung Sol pre amp tubes and Mullard reissue power tubes, I know tubes get re labelled and made in various places but they have been really good, just throwing that in there

Yea, those are both made by New Sensor in Russia, along with the Sovteks. "Mullard" reissues are the top mid-price tier product from them but don't share much resemblance visually or sonically to the originals, but they beat the Sovteks handily. The only thing I like about the Sovteks, especially the 12ax7's and EL84's, is their glass envelope is thick like the old Reflektor factory tubes. Those were made to keep radios and radar in Soviet T-72 battle tanks working as they (hypothetically) rolled across Eastern Europe. A thicker enclosure makes the tubes less susceptible to gradual breakdown from heat during use and transit. Those Sovtek 12ax7's are wayyy too dark and gain-y though, but great if you do the hi-gain ERG thing or want to tame a reissue Fender with ceramic Jensens -- those things are icepick city.

A lot of people operate under the assumption Groove Tubes make tubes. At best they contract builders to make special tubes to their specifications. Aspen Pittman, GT's founder, sold the name to FMIC almost two decades ago now. Great guy. If you're in the Los Angeles area he still owns the original Groove Tubes warehouse in San Fernando and sells stuff by appointment. Lots and lots of old stock Groove Tubes mics, preamps, NOS vintage tubes, amps, the whole lot.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There is something wonderfully cold war about valves that I love. It ignites my inner urbexer and fascination with things like the Russian Woodpecker.
They have an air of mystery about them that makes them seem like little glass marvels of a by gone era made in number stations by nameless communist industrial workers.
Wow that was quite a post

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Q: what makes sunn concert leads sound so good?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi.

I spent a large portion of my day off today playing with mic placement and setting the tone-stack on my modded Blues Jr.

I relied on my new Mackie monitors to dial in the sound, but I'm still not sure if what I am hearing in the recording is what the amp is putting out.

Details:
I'm using a large diaphragm condenser mic and a ribbon mic to mic the combo. I've noticed that when I set them facing the speaker in certain ways, they actually capture very similar sounds (although the mic preamp gain settings are wildly different.)
Today I moved both the ribbon and condenser mics closer to the speaker center because I just wasn't hearing the highs I thought I should. It wasn't ear fatigue. It might have been the new monitors, though. They seem very bassy (this may be due to their placement near walls) and the highs might be muted. You'll have to let me know.

Procedural:
I put the mics in front of the combo and cranked the preamp gain to full. Treble and Presence nearly maxed out to achieve that brightness and pick-attack. The "Fat circuit" is engaged (this adds lows and also gain.)
You can see the bass is about 1/2 and this mids are way down. Why? Because this amp after modding seems to ride a fine line between a Boogie/Carvin "woofy/wooly/loose" low-end and a more British tight low-end, specifically based on what I do with the bass and mid controls. Reminder that Bill Machrone stated his surprise at how low the mid tone knob frequency was. The "Twin-Stack" mod allows me to dial that out completely if I choose, but I left some in to avoid a very mid-scooped sound. Now, whether that worked or not depends on what you hear. It sounds very full and bright on my Mackies, it has less lows and more highs on my Sony speakers, and sounds thin and bad in my Sony headphones. So I am at a loss.

Here I present to you a new clip of the amp, with the tone stack as pictured. It's a bit of "Sombody Get Me a Doctor (Faustus)" from Van Halen II.
No pedals. Just the JEM77FP (That's an original DiMarzio FRED pickup) and the amp, with the reverb added in Reaper. No EQ or post-processing such as normalization or additional EQ at all.
This is all mic-placement and the guitar and the amp.

My question is about the monitor mix I hear and especially the EQ. Are you hearing what I hear: It sounds full and bright and surprisingly bassy on my setup. How about on your end?

Pictured: the mic placement and tone-stack settings:

The recorded clip:

Can I trust these monitors? Is it too shrill? Mids lacking or over-represented? Decent bass, too much bass, or no bass at all?

If this sounds to you the way it does to me, I can go full-steam ahead next weekend, and begin to wrap up the modding project and start making music with my new amp.
If not I'll need to evaluate how to compensate for the differences between what I am hearing and what I think I am recording.

If you take the time to respond, you have my sincere thanks.

P.S. - This is the same amp with the new V1 installed as posted above. It played for hours with no issues.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kinda wanna hear that though a larger cab

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah.
Me, too.

I thought I was clear enough, but I guess not.
I'm trying to see and hear what I can accomplish with this 1x12" open-back combo. In my post I even asked for thoughtful input on what frequencies you heard or missed, given the recording setup.

"kinda wanna hear that though a larger cab" does nothing to help me decide if I can record it better with different mic-placement or tone-stack settings.

quote:

Can I trust these monitors? Is it too shrill? Mids lacking or over-represented? Decent bass, too much bass, or no bass at all?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Here's what I hear: Not shrill, in fact I'd ask for more presence. Lots of mids, more low mids than high. No bass to speak of. Sounds like what I'd expect a little amp at full gain to sound like.

For what it's worth, I'm listening to it on a QSC K12/KSub system.

For pick attack, I would try reducing the gain on the amp and putting a treble boost sort of pedal in front, anything that'll add a little dirt before the amp and accentuate the highs. But that's up to you; I realize the question is about how this clip sounds.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Gorgar posted:

Here's what I hear: Not shrill, in fact I'd ask for more presence. Lots of mids, more low mids than high. No bass to speak of. Sounds like what I'd expect a little amp at full gain to sound like.

Same, I'm using Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones if that helps. Not much bass in it, but you probably won't need that in a mix anyway. I think the treble is pleasant and good, a there's a good chunk of mids, even though it's hella low in your picture. Lots of lower mids as said.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like the look of it but they missed a trick in having a single stock cab emulation. Should have let you load your own IR's when using a modeller having your own library of favoured IR's makes sooo much difference.

Also theres a 170 watt pedal version but its 4x more expensive than the EHX 44. caliber so it better be 4x better. I'd need to hear it in the flesh to decide.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Q: what makes sunn concert leads sound so good?

Germanium transistors have more sag than silicon, which works better to simulate the distorted response of vaccum tubes in a solid state design. A robust power transformer and heavy filtering in the power section also helps with the integrity of the low end.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, guys! That's exactly the kind of feedback I needed.

I have a Tube Driver (back when Korg was making them) which I love, but more recently I bought an OCD (v4) with the 18V power supply and it's like magic. It's the best "more" pedal I've ever played. Right now I'm demoing the amp solo, but just wait until you hear it with the OCD in front, just as a clean boost. It's awesome.

Surprised by the lack of bass. I must be getting a lot of bass reinforcement from my rear-ported monitors reflecting bass off the walls. I need to move them (and maybe move that condenser mic.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The OCD basically kicked the Tube Screamer off my board. While I still rent them out or use them with my JCM800, the OCD is basically what I take on local gigs. If I had to make a comparison, the Tube Screamer is like a crazy dude who's always sporting a poo poo-eating grin, whereas the OCD is the guy who's all calm and stuff... until he flashes you a "You have no idea who you're loving with" grin and boom! Knocks you on your rear end.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Hm. Err.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

The OCD basically kicked the Tube Screamer off my board. While I still rent them out or use them with my JCM800, the OCD is basically what I take on local gigs. If I had to make a comparison, the Tube Screamer is like a crazy dude who's always sporting a poo poo-eating grin, whereas the OCD is the guy who's all calm and stuff... until he flashes you a "You have no idea who you're loving with" grin and boom! Knocks you on your rear end.
I was complaining to my bassist in the prog rock back that as much as I loved my TS9 Re-issue, it just seemed to rob me of some of the really bright presence that I enjoyed when I wasn't using it. He came to rehearsal one day with that Korg Tube Driver and that was the end of my TS9. I sold it. Obviously there are certain tones you won't get wihtout one, but the Tube Driver was just so much more useful for me.
I played a few songs with his band a few years back. His guitarist had the same Classic 50 that I had used forever, and he asked me if I wanted extra gain. I said, yeah, a little. He said, boost or distortion. "Boost, please." He reached down, pointed out the OCD, and said, kick that on when you need it.
I started the song and the dude rushes in, tweaks a couple knobs, and rushes back out. The sound out of the monitor was blowing my hair back and the tone was just fantastic. That was when I knew I had to have one. It's so versatile and it can be very transparent if you need it to be, or it can give you very useable brightness if you like, and the drive goes much higher than I can ever see myself needing. I love the drat thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I must now own an OCD

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There's a newish one that came out sometime early this year too. The V2 (yeah seriously, the real 2.0). Seems neat. I always liked their approach to overdrive. A base of transparency can go a long way with an OD melding properly with an amp.

I'm on a Wampler kick though and that Tumnus sounds real good.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I picked up a Diezel VH4 pedal, and despite looking ridiculous, it actually sounds pretty great if you're after that high gain sound. With my old Ampeg Tele tuned to drop Bb it sounds colossal.

quote:

Those Sovtek 12ax7's are wayyy too dark and gain-y though, but great if you do the hi-gain ERG thing or want to tame a reissue Fender with ceramic Jensens -- those things are icepick city.

I always found Sovtek 12AX7s to be unadulterated garbage. Give me Chinese tubes any day of the week over the Sovteks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just ordered a Weber Mass attenuator to dick around with for the Bluesbreaker. I am hoping to ditch most drive pedals but it is very much an experiment. I'll probably end up using it to take the amp to break up then use a boost still

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

I've just ordered a Weber Mass attenuator to dick around with for the Bluesbreaker. I am hoping to ditch most drive pedals but it is very much an experiment. I'll probably end up using it to take the amp to break up then use a boost still

Post a little review when you have some time to get used to it! I need an attenuator but it's like the volume pedal I just bought. Necessary if you need it but not very exciting to spend money on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

Post a little review when you have some time to get used to it! I need an attenuator but it's like the volume pedal I just bought. Necessary if you need it but not very exciting to spend money on.

I will, I have read up on them a lot and these seem good for the money, they have a silent speaker in them rather than just huge resistors which is a Good Thing so I read - I only need it to tame the Bluesbreaker maybe 30% or so, I have heard stories of people wanting MAX GAIN at whisper volumes and not being happy, but for what I need it should be spot on, fingers crossed!

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
I have a Fender Champ 600 that has been eating power tubes, and I'm wondering why- I was experimenting with recording, while diming the amp, with a distortion pedal in front, and also with a 4x12 cab. The cab matches the amp's required 4 ohm minimum (was 8 ohms). Was it my fault somehow? Both tubes that blew, one after the other, resulted in some smoke. The first lasted quite a while at high volumes before it blew, while the second one popped quickly at the same volumes. The third one I put in has been working fine (I'm only using sensible volumes and the Weber speaker I bought it with, though). I'm guessing the smoke was just some PCB board or something, as I couldn't see ANY damage when opening the thing up (impressive, I thought). So do you guys think it was just coincidence that two 6L6's popped, or should I get the amp looked at, perhaps?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm no amp tech but an amp blowing power tubes is seriously worrisome. When power tubes blow they often take entire portions of the power section with them, which can get expensive quickly.

I'd recommend taking it to an amp tech before doing anything else with it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Diming the amp puts maximum wear on tubes. Doing that into a cab with more resistance than expected adds more wear and stress. On replacement tubes: does it bias them for you?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loco posted:

I have a Fender Champ 600 that has been eating power tubes, and I'm wondering why- I was experimenting with recording, while diming the amp, with a distortion pedal in front, and also with a 4x12 cab. The cab matches the amp's required 4 ohm minimum (was 8 ohms). Was it my fault somehow? Both tubes that blew, one after the other, resulted in some smoke. The first lasted quite a while at high volumes before it blew, while the second one popped quickly at the same volumes. The third one I put in has been working fine (I'm only using sensible volumes and the Weber speaker I bought it with, though). I'm guessing the smoke was just some PCB board or something, as I couldn't see ANY damage when opening the thing up (impressive, I thought). So do you guys think it was just coincidence that two 6L6's popped, or should I get the amp looked at, perhaps?

My first question would be, are you using proper speaker cables to the cab or an instrument cable? What you describe could well be the result of using an instrument cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also, I know you addressed the 4-Ohm minimum but power sections don't like to see lower impedance than they are designed for.

The saying I was taught was "Low into High will fly, High into Low won't go." Are you sure the power section is cool with seeing a 4-Ohm load?

Either way, if it's blown power tubes I'd still let a tech test it out to make sure the rest of the power section survived.