Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Or reverse selective color where the chair is the only thing that is black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does the D3400 have bracketing? Because as a D3300 that's my biggest complaint-- it's frankly pathetic that my 13-year old D70 has software features that the D3300/D3400 don't have.

They're always going to stagger features out between the various models in the range, or people wouldn't buy the more expensive ones. Stripping the 2nd SD slot out of the D7300 recently is worse as the model it replaces had it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tater_salad posted:

Or reverse selective color where the chair is the only thing that is black and white.

What if the chair IS white? Eh, what about then?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

torgeaux posted:

Especially then.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nmfree posted:

Especially then.

drat. Well played.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

torgeaux posted:

Makes you think and definitely the basis for some ART

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I just picked up a DSLR and i'm trying to learn all the cool things about exposures etc....that said, is it worth my money to get CameraSim Pro to tool about? Right now i've been reading understandign exposure and basically anything that author wrote and i'm getting better but I wish I had some real practical uh practice?

Thanks

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey guys I just picked up a DSLR and i'm trying to learn all the cool things about exposures etc....that said, is it worth my money to get CameraSim Pro to tool about? Right now i've been reading understandign exposure and basically anything that author wrote and i'm getting better but I wish I had some real practical uh practice?

Thanks

You're a troll right?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know, I found CameraSim Pro from the link to regular camerasim and I was just wondering if its worth the upgrade just to tool around and learn :shrug:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

I don't know, I found CameraSim Pro from the link to regular camerasim and I was just wondering if its worth the upgrade just to tool around and learn :shrug:

Turn off computer. Go outside. Take pictures. Learn.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thanks

If you're new to DSLR photography, it's helpful to read a few guides that address things like "wtf is an f-stop" and "literally what does shutter speed even do" but you just have to take pictures and practice. Try the same shot with different settings, try different shots with the same settings, compare, learn, it's all a part of it and pretty fun to boot.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's what i've been trying, okay. I just wasn't sure if it was good to get that program to like mess around with stuff that I wouldn't be able to get like rural farm lands etc; but I imagine most of that is self explanabtory after a while of tinkering.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah that's what i've been trying, okay. I just wasn't sure if it was good to get that program to like mess around with stuff that I wouldn't be able to get like rural farm lands etc; but I imagine most of that is self explanabtory after a while of tinkering.

Simulations make sense for things that are overly expensive, difficult, or something that has to be done right the first time. Great for pilots, ATC, astronauts, military. For photography you don't have to go far and mistakes cost nothing but time. Making mistakes and learning by doing is how you learn to become a photographer; the more you shoot, the better you'll be.

I think books and videos are great for learning, but try to spend more time shooting.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah im going to make a habit of doing that. I tried to photograph some lightning last night and it came out bad but hey I learned.

This thread is also super valuable because none of the books i've read so far have said why all my photos where really grainy until I read this post and realized I was doing ISO like 3000 lol.

Next thing I need to figure out is how to stop pictures being too orangey :( .

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah critique and feed back helps a lot too.

Orangey sounds like your white balance. It's a simple slider fix in lightroom. If you want to post, I can tell you for sure.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Do I get achievements or points for Dutch angles and selective color in camerasim pro? Is there any pvp? Tia

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haggins posted:

Yeah critique and feed back helps a lot too.

Orangey sounds like your white balance. It's a simple slider fix in lightroom. If you want to post, I can tell you for sure.

Sure. I'm not proud of this shot because i messed up the DoF, but for some reason it ended up being really green and orangey... and thats what i run into with most of my photos now :(

http://imgur.com/ZI2LiHQ

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Sure. I'm not proud of this shot because i messed up the DoF, but for some reason it ended up being really green and orangey... and thats what i run into with most of my photos now :(

http://imgur.com/ZI2LiHQ

Are you using Lightroom? Try fooling around with the colour temp slider, there are a ton of colour saturation/tint/brightness settings but the WB is a really good start.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I downloaded Affinity Photo, should I use Lightroom instead? I tried messing around with Affinity but was kind of lost; haven't had the time to really sit down and learn it though to be fair.

edit: I messed around a bit with lightroom holy cow you can do some good stuff with that. Affinity has nothing on it. I wish Adobe didn't move to monthly payments though :(

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 7, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dig up an old copy on eBay, whatever the last version was that was standalone. Version 5 I think.

Will work fine as long as it supports your camera's raw format.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lightroom is pretty much the gold standard of photo editing software, and imo worth it considering it includes photoshop. Sure, there plugins and actions and things you can add to it, but with just those two pieces of software, there is little you can't do. There is quiet a bit to learn with it, but once you understand it, editing is quick and easy.

There are a couple other professional alternatives to lightroom that people are fond of (haven't used them myself), which I'm sure are just as suitable. Lightroom is by far the most popular.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I downloaded Affinity Photo, should I use Lightroom instead? I tried messing around with Affinity but was kind of lost; haven't had the time to really sit down and learn it though to be fair.

edit: I messed around a bit with lightroom holy cow you can do some good stuff with that. Affinity has nothing on it. I wish Adobe didn't move to monthly payments though :(

Affinity is supposed to compete with Photoshop, so it should be a lot more powerful than Lightroom for editing. However I'm sure Lightroom is a lot more user-friendly. Most of the time LR can do 80% of what you need, then the remaining 20% needs to be taken into Photoshop/Affinity to fix.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Thanks

There's a good series of books called "<Camera Model> - From Snapshots to Great Shots". Have a look on Amazon and see if they have one for your camera.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also it can be worth getting a Flickr account and uploading your finished, edited pics there. Not only does it make it easier to share them to places like here or Fb, it also provides a convenient way to keep track of your progress as a photographer. If you organise your uploads into sensible albums, you can see the difference over time as you get better at composing, editing and experimenting with new techniques.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All AMAZING help thank you all so much. I just started a Flickr also looks like a cool service

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I link this site every few pages it seems, but it is a really cool way to visualise the exposure triangle and to see what the different settings do to a final image.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That site and the one in the OP are soo cool, that's why I initially inquired about the software. Thanks for this one too.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I took the plunge into professional amateur photography with that cheap D3400 on Adorama and got to play around with it a bit today. I read some guides and watched some youtubes and I'm trying to jump straight into the manual controls because that's kinda why I bought a DSLR. Some washed out photos of bunnies, some blurry shots of birds, dozens of nearly identical cat photos but I'm slowly figuring out what the settings do. Since I just bought the camera software is something I have to cheap out on for now. I took a picture in raw format and eventually I was able to find a free program that would open it but I took a quick look at all the sliders and closed it. That's something to learn on a different day.

Really glad I got the two lens kit because I haven't used the 18-55 since the initial tutorial phase. Not sure I'm ready to take it out into the wild yet but I guess the best way to learn is just to do.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Lightroom plus Photoshop is free for 2 weeks and then :10bux: a month thereafter - less if you can qualify for the educational discount.

Also 'professional amateur photography'?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

BrainMeats posted:

I took the plunge into professional amateur photography with that cheap D3400 on Adorama and got to play around with it a bit today. I read some guides and watched some youtubes and I'm trying to jump straight into the manual controls because that's kinda why I bought a DSLR. Some washed out photos of bunnies, some blurry shots of birds, dozens of nearly identical cat photos but I'm slowly figuring out what the settings do. Since I just bought the camera software is something I have to cheap out on for now. I took a picture in raw format and eventually I was able to find a free program that would open it but I took a quick look at all the sliders and closed it. That's something to learn on a different day.

Really glad I got the two lens kit because I haven't used the 18-55 since the initial tutorial phase. Not sure I'm ready to take it out into the wild yet but I guess the best way to learn is just to do.

Most people generally don't shoot manual on the regular. I'd suggest starting with aperture priority and shutter priority. Manual is definitely a good thing to know but there are too many unknowns to jump in right away. Also you'll probably end up shooting aperture priority 95% of the time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

well depends on what you are shooting.. I generally shoot in Shutter priority if anything because I take lots of pictures of my kids running around, or animals so I need to make sure My shutter is at least 250 or higher or I'm going to get blurry kids.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Shutter and aperture priorities were what I was referring to. Semi-manual I guess. Just getting away from the entirely automatic settings.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been going entirely manual and it's a mixture of fun and frustrating. I should try those other modes I was just keeping away as to not learn bad habits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like to shoot controllable things in Manual with Auto ISO and exposure compensation. Apparently that doesn't work on some Canon models but on Nikons it should for all models. Anything that needs shutter speeds faster than my set minimums I use S priority. Don't tend to use A priority so much as I can handle that in M easily enough.

This is on a D7200 mind where I have the two command dials, which makes things much easier imo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

2 command dials is a minimum requirement for me.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's coming up on August, so time to start poking for advice on eclipse photography! I'm heading out to the Oregon coast and am planning on taking my camera, both to enjoy the scenery, and to capture images of the end of the world! Or at least I expect people to be acting like it, considering the eclipse rolling in at the place I'm staying. I'm already ordering some glasses so I can physically watch it happen, but I'd welcome any advice or experience taking pictures at such an event.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want a guide on where to be to take your shot, look up PhotoPills for iPhone (and I think Android too, now?). The latest video on their YouTube channel is specifically about the eclipse as they've built in new functionality to the app especially for it so give that a watch. It's a great app regardless for planning, as well as having useful things like DoF tables etc. It's about $10 or so, but worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The advice I've dug up is that if this is your first total eclipse, just watch it. If you must take pictures, use software to automate the whole thing so you don't spend the whole two minutes fussing with settings. Astrophotographers are very meticulous people so it's pretty easy to dig up recommended exposure settings.

If you have a mac, download Eclipse Masetro. It is by far the best eclipse planner out there, and is donationware so you don't have to pay to try it. It does camera automation too, which is nice. If you have a PC, install virtualbox and run Eclipse Meastro in a VM because it's just that good.

Browse https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/ too, there's a lot of interesting articles there about actually getting to a viewing site.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tater_salad posted:

2 command dials and a joystick is a minimum requirement for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I'm curious as to what are some goons reasons for making the jump to full frame? I enjoy shooting landscape and notice limitations of using a low-end DSLR with cheaper glass. Would I be a good case for upgrading to a full frame?

• Locked thread