Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I love this show so much, and really resent having to miss a week because of the holiday (which I couldn't celebrate even if I felt like doing so as I have to work).

I'm wondering if the Harry Dean Stanton character at some point was one of the dark hobo squad. He kind of looks like them, and there was that weird bit in FWWM when he says something about not wanting to go back (haven't seen it in a while so I'm fuzzy on details). Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm wondering if the Harry Dean Stanton character at some point was one of the dark hobo squad. He kind of looks like them, and there was that weird bit in FWWM when he says something about not wanting to go back (haven't seen it in a while so I'm fuzzy on details). Just a thought.

He's a childhood friend of The Log Lady and gets abducted in the woods with her according to what I remember from the Mark Frost book

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Watching the first episodes again, I realized that the guy who calls himself Jeffries sounds like the Woodsman when he talks through the black box Mr. C uses. Might be important, or just a coincidence.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

This is fun...going through one of Lynch's art books tonight (The Air is on Fire) and found what looks like a drawing of the frograoch. It's not dated, but it obviously long predates the little guy's first appearance on screen.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Phi230 posted:

The more I listen to the NiN song the more I believe it has something directly to do with Twin Peaks

I definitely think so too. You could see it as a song that's about the state of Twin Peaks in general, or as a song that's specifically about Cooper.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

How was MIKE created?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Mike

-------------------------
So I just watched Lost Highway the other day and spent the last two days reading some good essays about and its possible interpretations and meanings and such, and while I'll probably rewatch Mulholland Drive soon too, I want to finish off Lynch's "people living in LA have mental breakowns and at least half of the movie is their hallucinations" trilogy, by watching Inland Empire.

Can someone give me some words of warning or advice before I do though? Becuase you see...I'm scared. Horror movies do not scare me, but David Lynch works? Those can, and do. With his expertise on ominous droning noises, and weird, "simple" things like Laura staring at a ceiling fan as she slowly twists into an insane rictus grin, or someone briefly wearing white makeup and black lipstick. Even a completely normal dude in a jean jacket making a silly face becomes genuinely terrifying! I've been non-jumpscare scared by a piece of media for the first time in years by stuff in this season of Twin Peaks, mostly involving every appearance of a Woodsman or the finding of Major Briggs' corpse and the woman's head.

And I hear that Inland Empire is like, the "most David Lynch" of all of his works. I'm GOING to watch it, but I'm irrationally nervous about this, and I feel like it's going to profoundly horrify me even as it entertains and amazes me.

Maybe someone could say what it's essentially about beyond just "a woman in trouble," or "a person in LA has an identity crisis?"

After this I'd only need to see Elephant Man, Wild At Heart, and I'll probably skip that G rated disney movie about a tractor.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 1, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Maybe someone could say what it's essentially about beyond just "a woman in trouble," or "a person in LA has an identity crisis?"

After this I'd only need to see Elephant Man, Wild At Heart, and I'll probably skip that G rated disney movie about a tractor.

It's basically Laura Dern in a bunch of vignettes that are loosely strung together, and some really horrifying things happen. There is no straightforward storyline. Like, it's technically about an actress starring in an unofficial remake of a German film. That won't really prepare you for the film, though.

You're seriously gonna skip the Straight Story? Why?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Whatever you do, do NOT skip the Straight Story. It's really the missing link between Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, and for some reason it seems to me that everything Lynch has made since the Straight Story, while sparse, has been exceptionally good. I strongly believe that David Lynch tends to learn a great deal about how to make "his" films when he works on something like The Elephant Man or The Straight Story where he is telling someone else's story and putting his own ego and interests to the side.

It's just a really lovely, exceptionally well-made film. There is NO reason to skip and like I said, I highly recommend watching it between Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. As an added note, in my opinion The Straight Story has THE BEST soundtrack work that Angelo Badalameti ever did in his entire career, and his music for this film is still up there with my favorite quiet intrumental/film music. I still keep around in my iphone music collection, probably the only thing by a film composer in there.

Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek both are remarkable in this film. It's an extremely sad and profound film on a number of levels, and has as much going on beneath the series as any given Lynch film if you look hard enough. It was well-known even when he started production that Farnsworth was slowly dying, and that he was probably (and in fact) making his last film after about 60 years or so in the industry, and what he does with his face in this movie, how he acts and the way he is both dignified yet vulnerable, it really blows me the gently caress away. Words don't do any justice A T ALL to his performance. Any year other than 1999 and he would have won Best Actor - he still *should* have won it over Kevin Spacey that's for drat sure, Farnsworth WAS nominated. And it's loving sad. Wasn't but a few months his later that his cancer took a turn for the worse and he put a shotgun in his mouth, pulled the trigger.

If you've got any doubt of the quality of the movie, watch this scene (which is sort of a vignette) about two old men drinking in a bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87mWUoKhNyA

Farnsworth really was a WW2 veteran, of course..

Anyway, if you are reading this post in this thread, do NOT do yourself a huge disservice by skipping this incredible film. I'd go so far as to say it's a much better film than other more well-known weird/scary Lynch films - it's a much better film overall than Lost Highway, and it's almost amazing to think they were made so close together, along with Mulholland Drive coming just after Straight Story.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 1, 2017

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Mike

-------------------------
So I just watched Lost Highway the other day and spent the last two days reading some good essays about and its possible interpretations and meanings and such, and while I'll probably rewatch Mulholland Drive soon too, I want to finish off Lynch's "people living in LA have mental breakowns and at least half of the movie is their hallucinations" trilogy, by watching Inland Empire.

Can someone give me some words of warning or advice before I do though? Becuase you see...I'm scared. Horror movies do not scare me, but David Lynch works? Those can, and do. With his expertise on ominous droning noises, and weird, "simple" things like Laura staring at a ceiling fan as she slowly twists into an insane rictus grin, or someone briefly wearing white makeup and black lipstick. Even a completely normal dude in a jean jacket making a silly face becomes genuinely terrifying! I've been non-jumpscare scared by a piece of media for the first time in years by stuff in this season of Twin Peaks, mostly involving every appearance of a Woodsman or the finding of Major Briggs' corpse and the woman's head.

And I hear that Inland Empire is like, the "most David Lynch" of all of his works. I'm GOING to watch it, but I'm irrationally nervous about this, and I feel like it's going to profoundly horrify me even as it entertains and amazes me.

just watch it

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Each time a nuclear explosion happens it allows reality to thin and let lodge spirits through?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
For some reason Inland Empire scared me more than anything else David Lynch with that Laura Dern clownlike smile thing. . I don't even know why I find it so scary.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Inland Empire is about an old story with a curse on it that envelops and consumes whoever tries to tell the story. Laura Dern and Justin Thoreaux play actors who get cast in a movie, not knowing that the movie is based on this story and is thus cursed. The curse is sort of hard to explain, but it's based around the idea of men controlling women like they are trained animals, and when the woman tries to break free, expressed often through infidelity against her "handler," it leads to violence and murder.

The movie that Laura Dern and Justin Thoreaux are making turns out to be a remake of a Polish movie that was never finished because the curse took hold. Inland Empire is a complex web of scenes that can be difficult to parse, because at any given time you may be seeing the movie, the actors, the actors making the movie, or the ripple effects of the curse on the people involved. This includes the Hollywood movie and the Polish movie.

Good luck.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Okay thanks for the tips about The Straight Story. I'll be sure to see it.

And now Inland Empire's premise sounds very slightly like the initial premise of Marble Hornets, which while obviously not amazing or anything, I stayed with throughout the whole series because the creators were really good at making creepy audiovisual distortion when supernatural bullshit was afoot.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Each time a nuclear explosion happens it allows reality to thin and let lodge spirits through?
:iiam: . Probably not? But this past Monday, when he was halfway through season 2 and completely unspoiled about this season, my high-functioning schizophrenic friend theorized that Bob was connected to Robert Oppenheimer, and therefore Mike is also connected to nuclear bombs because of this IVY MIKE nuke and the fact that possessed Leland was singing a song with Ivy in the lyrics.
And if I know one thing for sure about David Lynch, it's that he'd put a lot of credence into the random tangential connections made by a crazy person.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 1, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Inland Empire is defintly the most scary of all. But Eraserhead is the most uncomfortable to watch

edit: also, Ive watched Inland Empire at the movie theater and I remember several people leaving before the end of the movie. It's a great movie, though

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 1, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Annabel Pee posted:

For some reason Inland Empire scared me more than anything else David Lynch with that Laura Dern clownlike smile thing. . I don't even know why I find it so scary.

It's all about the buildup and atmosphere. I saw a screencap of it sans context and thought it was laughable but then when I actually watched it I was physically squirming in my seat.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
GOTTA LIGHT?

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

https://twitter.com/civil__centrist/status/880952204323979266

the wobble
May 22, 2005

Bryter Layter
Doctor Rope
Just give the man a light already!
he's obviously a heavy smoker.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

TWIN PEAKS...

WAS ALWAYS...

COOl POLITICAL

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Has anyone come up with the theory that James' motorcycle accident was prior to the original series? That's what I'm going with.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

crowoutofcontext posted:

TWIN PEAKS...

WAS ALWAYS...

COOl POLITICAL

Lol you make a good point, but I think the omniscient view of the camera capturing the atomic bomb opening the door to pure, cosmic evil can be read as a more explicit political view of the show than just observing the characters airing their personal picadillios about society. But I don't really think "America is evil" is necassarily the point of all that anyway, I just thought the tweet was funny

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

*lives in america*

*somehow thinks anything they do or consume can be non-political*

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

kaworu posted:

If you've got any doubt of the quality of the movie, watch this scene (which is sort of a vignette) about two old men drinking in a bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87mWUoKhNyA

Farnsworth really was a WW2 veteran, of course..

Anyway, if you are reading this post in this thread, do NOT do yourself a huge disservice by skipping this incredible film. I'd go so far as to say it's a much better film than other more well-known weird/scary Lynch films - it's a much better film overall than Lost Highway, and it's almost amazing to think they were made so close together, along with Mulholland Drive coming just after Straight Story.

That clip just killed me, oh my god. I've never seen The Straight Story, I just remember it being described as sweet and quirky by tv reviewers and didn't sound at all interesting. Thanks for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Straight Story is probably the most heartbreaking G-rated movie I've ever seen in my life, for what it's worth.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

*lives in america*

*somehow thinks anything they do or consume can be non-political*

No, I'm pretty in tune with the fact that everything carries a political significance, and that American cultural output has a reverberating effect given our hegemonic status. I just don't think the show's ever, as a matter of authorial intent, tried to make any explicit commentary about - and maybe this is where I went wrong - issues along partisan lines in any didactic way.

For sure all of the issues raised by the show have political weight, but it's never tried to offer any ideologically motivated answers to them that would compel you to, say, vote one way or another, or subscribe to a particular stance. It engages with issues, but it doesn't really tell you how to view them. That's just from the lens of authorial intent, there's plenty of politcal material there to comment on how it's portrayed, but I never got a sense that Lynch necessarily wanted me to feel any particular way about Tibet.

I mean, he probably does, but purely from watching the show, it just seems like a personal quirk of Cooper's.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 2, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

One of the biggest themes of the first two seasons and a whole lot of Lynch's work is that the Americana sweetness is disgusting and rotten underneath. The third season has him stare into the camera and announce "change your hearts or die." It's not subtle.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Alright, yeah. I think I take the disgustingness underneath aspect so much for granted that I'm being too narrow with how I interpret the show as political. I'll concede I'm off base.

And I completely forgot about FIX YOUR HEARTS OR DIE, so basically I'm a huge idiot

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 2, 2017

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

kaworu posted:

... it's a much better film overall than Lost Highway, and it's almost amazing to think they were made so close together ...

Fight me IRL

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Stato-Masochist posted:

Alright, yeah. I think I take the disgustingness underneath aspect so much for granted that I'm being too narrow with how I interpret the show as political. I'll concede I'm off base.

And I completely forgot about FIX YOUR HEARTS OR DIE, so basically I'm a huge idiot

Ehh, I think your right in saying its sometimes hard to grasp any sort of coherent or super-familiar political ideology being communicated or evenly distributed throughout Lynch's work. Mostly because he doesn't seem to have one.

Wikipedia posted:

Lynch has said that he is "not a political person". However, he has expressed admiration for former US President Ronald Reagan.[151] Describing his political philosophy, he stated, "at that time, I thought of myself as a libertarian. I believed in next to zero government. And I still would lean toward no government and not so many rules, except for traffic lights and things like this. I really believe in traffic regulations."[152] Lynch continued to state that "I don't know if there even is a Libertarian party. They wouldn't have a prayer of getting anywhere. So I'm a Democrat now. And I've always been a Democrat, really. But I don't like the Democrats a lot, either, because I'm a smoker, and I think a lot of the Democrats have come up with these rules for non-smoking."[152]

I mean maybe he just wants to say that terrible, terrible things happen when traffic laws are broken or smoker's are prohibited from their light:(

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 2, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I'd say "Fix your heart or die" is a pretty political statement (and one I approve of).

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Well, yeah, I just don't have the patience to argue it further in the face of the valid objections I've already had. It's as multi-layered as the show itself, and I'm just not motivated enough to press it. But I do think I was wrong, at least in so far as I didn't define what lines demarcated ideologically motivated television. Like, my mindset was interpreting Blue Bloods, and that show's politics are immensely more transparent and surface level.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I just want to add season 3 has casually dropped in other things like veterans' issues. It's definitely ventured into political territory. There's some commentary on the male gaze (maybe?) but then Lynch will have other scenes that backtrack any potential commentary, so I dunno really. The veteran stuff might just be related to his work with providing vets with transcendental meditation and he feels passionate about it, so he threw it in. It's like the unrelated music videos in the middle of the episode. It's just because he likes filming it.

I've had an epiphany mid-post. Season 3 is really just Lynch living out his dream of hosting the Late show. Political monologues, inviting all his friends for appearances, musical guests and some skits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He actually was speaking backwards there, what he really was saying if you reverse the audio was "fix your c o u n t r y or die"

edit: And I really like that Lynch has characters that contradict the messages the show sometimes puts forward, it makes them feel more like real people instead of walking mouthpieces for his own opinions like most shows with an underlying agenda.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Ehh, I think your right in saying its sometimes hard to grasp any sort of coherent or super-familiar political ideology being communicated or evenly distributed throughout Lynch's work. Mostly because he doesn't seem to have one.

Agreed. He's not an academic who uses film to argue incisive, specific viewpoints.

I don't see the argument that "America is evil" in his work, at all. If anything, that feels way too facile for whatever ethical viewpoint it seems to have...it'd make it some specific indictment of the military-industrial complex, or nationalism, or whatever. Twin Peaks seems to take place in the same ethical universe as Blue Velvet, where the dilemma is really, "why are there men like Frank?" Not because he's American or poisoned by some sociopolitical reality, but because he chose Evil. Human nature kind of stuff. I view the Trinity Test as more of a case-in-point for man's capacity to choose destruction and violence. It could easily have been about Auschwitz or some not-specifically-American example, but he chose nukes. That is to say, it's not because America built them, but because humanity did.

So, yeah, he goes deep into the dark, evil poo poo under the surface of all the quaint Americana, but I think he also earnestly likes the quaint Americana. Love and community are a moral good in this series, just as cruelty and violence are a moral bad. Kindness and decency vs. "the evil that men do."

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Full disclosure, David Lynch once did personally tell me that Hitler did nothing wrong and that the Holomodor never happened over drinks at Bohemian Grove

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Zmej posted:

I just want to add season 3 has casually dropped in other things like veterans' issues. It's definitely ventured into political territory. There's some commentary on the male gaze (maybe?) but then Lynch will have other scenes that backtrack any potential commentary, so I dunno really. The veteran stuff might just be related to his work with providing vets with transcendental meditation and he feels passionate about it, so he threw it in. It's like the unrelated music videos in the middle of the episode. It's just because he likes filming it.

I've had an epiphany mid-post. Season 3 is really just Lynch living out his dream of hosting the Late show. Political monologues, inviting all his friends for appearances, musical guests and some skits.

This is kind of what I was getting at. Sure, the show beats you over the head now and then, but in other instances it doesn't really tell you how to feel on a political level. It just presents you with the current reality. Like, it shows a psychotically strung-out mother, but it doesn't make you infer any policy initiatives from that picture. Anything you might assume is pure projection. It invokes an issue that is surely intwined with politics, but there's no suggested remedy in the depiction.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

You ever hear the old saying "Stop cramming your politically correct frogroach down my literal throat".

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Don't forget the beak! It's a hummingbird-frogroach demon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zmej posted:

Ever since his guest appearance on Louis C.K's show, I have desperately wanted to see The Late Show with David Lynch :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

poo poo I would be happy just to have the David Lynch daily weather report back :(