Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In the marvel cinematic universe Norway was razed to the ground by frost giants in like 1100 AD so I dont even know what the gently caress theyre going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

darkwasthenight posted:

The Christian God isn't really in Marvel much (apart from a Stan Lee cameo in... I want to say Fantastic Four?)

That was Jack Kirby, you heathen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

darkwasthenight posted:

The Christian God isn't really in Marvel much (apart from a Stan Lee cameo in... I want to say Fantastic Four?) but at one point Punisher is a warrior for the angels and it's been shown there's an afterlife at various points.

In DC the Spectre is explicitly the embodiment of the angel of vengeance who destroyed Egypt, and Zauriel is an angel of the host who carries the spear of Michael gifted to him by Metatron on orders of The Prescence itself. For the Vertigo universe Lucifer is the Lord of Hell until he quits and is replaced by the angels Duma and Remiel and goes off to run a bar and star in his own series.

There are various minor gods and Asgardians and things in both universes, but God itself is usually the Christian version. They usually just say "oh, these guys are just mega advanced aliens who may as well be gods".

Wrong. It was Jack Kirby who was god

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah Stan Lee is unarguably Satan in marvel theology

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

darkwasthenight posted:

The Christian God isn't really in Marvel much (apart from a Stan Lee cameo in... I want to say Fantastic Four?)

That was Jack Kirby.

Edit: I had just refreshed... :psyduck:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was irritated that in John Wick 1 they had silencers that made noise kinda like they should have, but in John Wick 2 they went for the dumb lovely psh psh kind.

They got so much right regarding guns and realism and reloading and whatnot but then just hosed up that so bad...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The 'silencer' in A SCanner Darkly was an amazing gag:

"What are you doing?"
"*Downey Jr taping a bottle to his gun barrel* I'm making a home...made... silencer..."*Fires the gun*

Everyone is deafened as it amplifies the sound due to the bottle exploding.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was irritated that in John Wick 1 they had silencers that made noise kinda like they should have, but in John Wick 2 they went for the dumb lovely psh psh kind.

They got so much right regarding guns and realism and reloading and whatnot but then just hosed up that so bad...

They also had Iron Man-grade body armor stitched into regular suits. Come to think of it, John Wick would have been hosed had his enemies thought of wearing ski masks made of that armor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I've never understood how other religions exist in the Marvelverse (comics, movies, whatever) when Thor is wandering around and helping Captain America beat up baddies. In the Marvel Ultimate Alliance videogame, a chunk of it is set in Asgard with the heroes base of operations in Valhalla. That seems to pretty conclusively settle which religion is correct.

On the other hand, I love how ridiculous and far-reaching the Marvelverse is. While DareDevil's spin kicking ninjas, the Punisher is in Riverdale helping Archie track down a drug dealer and then later on fight a Predator.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

On the other hand, I love how ridiculous and far-reaching the Marvelverse is. While DareDevil's spin kicking ninjas, the Punisher is in Riverdale helping Archie track down a drug dealer and then later on fight a Predator.

And Blade's hunting down vampires, which no other superhero seems to care about. You'd think they'd be a higher priority than bank robbers. :shrug:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sunswipe posted:

And Blade's hunting down vampires, which no other superhero seems to care about. You'd think they'd be a higher priority than bank robbers. :shrug:

Jubilee's a vampire though! (at least, last time I checked)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It's a union thing. If others started hunting vampires, Blade's union would raise hell about it.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Grendels Dad posted:

They also had Iron Man-grade body armor stitched into regular suits. Come to think of it, John Wick would have been hosed had his enemies thought of wearing ski masks made of that armor.

That kind of armor doesn't absorb all the force of the bullet; wouldn't they just be choosing to die of massive blunt-force trauma rather than the gunshot?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I meant more from JW1 to JW2, but yea. There was a throwaway line about how you'd still feel the impact but the bullet wouldn't penetrate, so I'd imagine if you got shot in the noggin with something at the very least you'd have your bell rung and a cracked skull.

John seems the kinda rear end in a top hat who'd just shoot you repeatedly in the skull even if the bullets don't go through, until you forget what math is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

At least in JW2 they make an effort to show that the armor of his suit is basically magic AND it still knocks him around a good deal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I love how he ran while covering his head with the jacket. It may look dumb as poo poo but dammit it was in the realm of the movie's logic.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

At least in JW2 they make an effort to show that the armor of his suit is basically magic AND it still knocks him around a good deal.

You also saw him covered in giant bruises after the whole gianna incident when he takes his shirt off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Garrison Besoke makes a custom bulletproof suit that stops handgun rounds pretty effectively. I didn't think the suit was that out there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I would watch a series of crossovers with John Wick walking into other movie universes and just wrecking poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

it's been years but I have to wonder, since Cobb in Inception has his dead wife haunting his brain, doesn't that make him the worst person to delve into people's dreams because his personal baggage makes him a complete liability?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

it's been years but I have to wonder, since Cobb in Inception has his dead wife haunting his brain, doesn't that make him the worst person to delve into people's dreams because his personal baggage makes him a complete liability?

That's kind of one of the biggest plot points of the movie

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

That's kind of one of the biggest plot points of the movie

for a second I thought I was reading the Subtle Movie Moments thread

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did your hair get messed up when the point flew over your head?

A IMM I saw today with Agents of Shield:

Season 4 Simmons is, perhaps, one of the most intelligent people on the planet. She's impossibly gifted in the sciences and technology.
So, she's been looking for a new apartment for her and Fitz with little luck.
Suddenly she is emailed a listing on a perfect fit by an anonymous source and she just... shows up.
Granted she had enough sense to bring her sidearm but nothing about this to her screamed TRAP TRAP TRAP, which it was.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Inzombiac posted:

Did your hair get messed up when the point flew over your head?

A IMM I saw today with Agents of Shield:

Season 4 Simmons is, perhaps, one of the most intelligent people on the planet. She's impossibly gifted in the sciences and technology.
So, she's been looking for a new apartment for her and Fitz with little luck.
Suddenly she is emailed a listing on a perfect fit by an anonymous source and she just... shows up.
Granted she had enough sense to bring her sidearm but nothing about this to her screamed TRAP TRAP TRAP, which it was.

Both Fitz and Simmons have always been dumb about non-science-related stuff though

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Piell posted:

Both Fitz and Simmons have always been dumb about non-science-related stuff though

Yeah, I've never seen the show myself and thus don't know how the character is usually portrayed, but "book-smart, not street-smart" is a very common chacter type.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would watch a series of crossovers with John Wick walking into other movie universes and just wrecking poo poo.

I really want an Avengers team-up style movie with John Wick, Atomic Blonde, Ethan Hawke from the upcoming John Wick ripoff movie he's in, the guy from The Raid, and Liam Neeson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iko Uwais (the guy from The Raid) is pretty awesome. He has another American movie coming out sometime this year where he beats up aliens alongside Frank Grillo.

Fuuuuck, he has a movie coming out sometime this year with Michael Jai White, Tony Jaa, Scott Adkins and Tiger Chen.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jul 5, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Piell posted:

They work for a spy agency!
This is IT security 101.

They should have learned, though a poorly designed PowerPoint, about the common types of Phishing tactics.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

muscles like this! posted:

Iko Uwais (the guy from The Raid) is pretty awesome. He has another American movie coming out sometime this year where he beats up aliens alongside Frank Grillo.

Fuuuuck, he has a movie coming out sometime this year with Michael Jai White, Tony Jaa, Scott Adkins and Tiger Chen.

Amazing, it's like the C-grade Expendables, only it actually sounds way cooler than the Expendables ever did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Saw The Forest but this IIMM is pretty prolific:

"Hi this is Bob, I'm currently not available but you can leave a message after the beep" *beep*

*caller hangs up*

Motherfucker, why do you hang up after the beep? That's something my grandma does, I have countless messages of hers on my phone that consist of the sound of her hanging up. Also, why do they always listen to the full "I'm not here" text? I'm pretty sure the audience would be familiar with the concept of answering machines by now and would recognize them after a few words, so why does everyone always listen to all of the message like they've never heard it before?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grendels Dad posted:

Saw The Forest but this IIMM is pretty prolific:

"Hi this is Bob, I'm currently not available but you can leave a message after the beep" *beep*

*caller hangs up*

Motherfucker, why do you hang up after the beep? That's something my grandma does, I have countless messages of hers on my phone that consist of the sound of her hanging up. Also, why do they always listen to the full "I'm not here" text? I'm pretty sure the audience would be familiar with the concept of answering machines by now and would recognize them after a few words, so why does everyone always listen to all of the message like they've never heard it before?

I do that pretty much constantly at work, but I'm also reading emails and typing reports or otherwise multitasking, and rarely paying attention to the answering machine, especially given the number of automated phone systems I typically have to make my way through during a given day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Vampires are a problem. A vampire Hulk is a catastrophe.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Vampires are a problem. A vampire Hulk is a catastrophe.

Just have Thor punch him into space, the sun will do the rest.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MrJacobs posted:

Just have Thor punch him into space, the sun will do the rest.

Vampire Hulk would kill the sun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

I do that pretty much constantly at work, but I'm also reading emails and typing reports or otherwise multitasking, and rarely paying attention to the answering machine, especially given the number of automated phone systems I typically have to make my way through during a given day.

Are you my grandma?

MariusLecter posted:

Vampire Hulk would kill the sun.

He would do that thing where he claps really hard and the resulting shockwave would extinguish the sun.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Throw him into a black hole and let some other dimension deal with him.

Like they were GOING to do with Ultimate Galactus, until someone thought it was too much of a dick move for Reed Richards to intentionally condemn another dimension to death via giant robot-locusts and instead they just shot a giant laser at them instead. (Apparently)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A vampire Hulk would give people vampiric radiation poisoning. Kinda like FOXDIE.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

Throw him into a black hole and let some other dimension deal with him.

Like they were GOING to do with Ultimate Galactus, until someone thought it was too much of a dick move for Reed Richards to intentionally condemn another dimension to death via giant robot-locusts and instead they just shot a giant laser at them instead. (Apparently)

I hate that I'm a big enough nerd to respond to this, but here we are.

Wasn't that laser the big bang of another dimension, and Reed Richards was all conflicted because he basically committed a universe-sized abortion?

Or am I remembering that wrong?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
A vampire hulk is a lovely vampire, if he bites you there's nothing left, and he'd be a really heavy bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

A vampire hulk is a lovely vampire, if he bites you there's nothing left, and he'd be a really heavy bat.

Sleeping in a coffin filled with radioactive dirt, someone tries to stake him. Banner hulks out and all his clothes rip except the shorts and a vampire cloak.

"Hulk not drink wine!", etc. Practically writes itself.