Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gently caress! I remember when that first came out and people were amazed what you could do with prosumer tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Me too, and that's 17 years ago.

I think you had to actually download it, there was no youtube or anything.

People were also much more amazed about how you'd get a shot of an empty 405 than a shot of an airliner landing on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know what's really cool? Some twerp in his matte rustoleum wrx and his buddy in his hellaflush miata driving side by side on a two lane road, 15 miles under the speed limit and blipping their stupid fart can exhaust constantly.

I guess that's better than speeding and swerving but loving hell, quit being a rolling roadblock.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
All these people on bicycles looking at their smartphones instead of the road. Swerving into the oncoming lane. Rear-ending me when I'm waiting to yield to other traffic. (These are cyclist-only roads, which is probably why these people haven't died yet :geert:)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
wear your leathers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNwQK_HIHRU&feature=youtu.be

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Gray jeep, silver plane, white car...

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

oh come on

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

PCOS Bill posted:

It keeps happening

Shut up with the eye rolling schtick. It's getting old.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was going straight at a light and had a guy pull up next to me in the left turn lane, and when the light turned green he tried to cut me off and go straight... I didn't think my XJ could make its tires make that sound.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

totalnewbie posted:

Not a rider - what causes that and what are you supposed to do about/to avoid it?

Bigger / faster motorcycles have dampers on the steering for this. I had one save my rear end on a freeway turn, over a tabletop section. Steering wobbles get worse and dampers counteract it by tightening up until the steering is locked down.

Smaller bikes might not have them from the factory, like in the 600cc range. I knew someone who lost their life to an interchange guard rail from steering wobble.

In other news I find myself being more careful based on some advice from this thread. That accidents are more commonly due to speed differentials. My spidey senses tingle when the flow of traffic is uneven.

I'm getting my Class A license in a couple months, mostly because the better listings for heavy equipment mechanics want a Class A. I might end up doing Over The Road (OTR) driving in the future for work, but in the meantime I hope I don't have to. I've had a couple experiences (my only accidents in 15 years) where it could only be avoided if I stayed behind someone in the next lane in case they were unfathomably bad drivers. They were not-at-fault accidents for me, but even that's bad for a commercial driver, right? Is it possible to drive cautious and defensive enough to stay accident-free in a Semi?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
This is probably the most :stonk: video of bad old people driving I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyhfKWd0pY

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tarantula posted:

This is probably the most :stonk: video of bad old people driving I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyhfKWd0pY

Just like the Energiser bunny the elderly driver just keeps on going

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Looks like they confused the pedals and kept pushing on the gas wondering why the brakes weren't working

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Get all olds off the roads.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Craptacular posted:

Looks like they confused the pedals and kept pushing on the gas wondering why the brakes weren't working
gently caress I hope I don't get that stupid when I'm old

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Craptacular posted:

From the number of stops/starts and body-slamming jolts, it looks like their feet came off the pedals and then they pushed down on the wrong one again.

The first time it happens, though not excusable, is understandable. The follow-ups are just terrifying.

EDIT: I have just realised that it reminds me of one of those GTA missions where the target car is supposed to move too fast for you to catch, but you whip out a sniper rifle and pop a tire, so the game mechanics insist on giving it full acceleration, despite the lack of steering.

spog fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 3, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Maybe there was a water bottle stuck down there, and when they tried to press the brake pedal, the gas pedal was way easier to activate.

My jaw dropped at the second camera view

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

NoWake posted:

Get all olds off the roads.

This but unironically - when someone gets that old, confused, and dangerous, they shouldn't have a license or even be allowed to vote. That level of carelessness, stubbornness and stupidity is inexcusable.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
mandatory periodic driving tests would save countless lives but this is a hill the first politician will absolutely die on because old people

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BOOTY-ADE posted:

or even be allowed to vote.

Hell, anyone too dumb to agree with me politically should be banned from voting, if we're just stripping rights from people arbitrarily.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
My mom is 83, and has been a terrible driver for the last couple of years. We've been trying to get her off the road, but she says "I drive just fine!" I reported her to the dmv, but she managed to pass her test somehow. I just hope she doesn't hurt anyone due to her lovely driving. An 83yo woman who can barely walk or see has no business driving a 2008 Jag convertible.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hermaphrodite posted:

My mom is 83, and has been a terrible driver for the last couple of years. We've been trying to get her off the road, but she says "I drive just fine!" I reported her to the dmv, but she managed to pass her test somehow. I just hope she doesn't hurt anyone due to her lovely driving. An 83yo woman who can barely walk or see has no business driving a 2008 Jag convertible.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

mandatory periodic driving tests would save countless lives but this is a hill the first politician will absolutely die on because old people

So we need to periodically test people but when they pass the test at an advanced age it somehow isn't good enough... huh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What ever happened to that thing they tried in the 70s where they got rid of anybody over 30?

That seemed to work okay.

Or maybe just replace everybody with monkeys.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PCOS Bill posted:

So we need to periodically test people but when they pass the test at an advanced age it somehow isn't good enough... huh.

I got told a "funny" story by a Driving teacher a while back. He had to test someone for his driving ability (an old person). Because he hosed up in traffic. Instead of following a turn, he just went straight ahead and ended in a garden.
Turns out he drove very good in the first test drive, there wasn't a single thing to complain about. On the second drive the older person was tested outside his usual routes. On his usual routes he knew every traffic sign, corner etc. When they left those routes, his lack of eye sight and bad reactions came to light. Turned out that he memorized how he had to drive on those routes. When he left them he was insecure and his detoriated skills were to bad to compensate.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
She got some coaching/instruction before her test, so she improved enough to pass, but I doubt it will last. Seems they allow up to 15 "minor mistakes" but zero major ones in order to pass. What they didn't have is my experience with her driving, which includes stopping about 15 feet behind the line at a stop sign (where other traffic doesn't see her until she goes), turning right but on the left side of the island (into oncoming lanes), taking 20 minutes to back out of her own driveway (50 feet), and turning without checking cross traffic (Russian style). She has plenty of money, she could just Uber or taxi wherever she needs to go and not have to worry about it. Her husband is extremely concerned but won't be the one to take her car away.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine that, someone doesn't want to give up freedom.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Let's see how long you hold this opinion after some motorcyclist gets run over at a red light by some old timer who renewed their driver's license through the mail and then confused the brake and gas pedals...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Let's see how long you hold this opinion after some motorcyclist gets run over at a red light by some old timer who renewed their driver's license through the mail and then confused the brake and gas pedals...

Depends on who's on the bike.

If it's you, well..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The issue I have with retesting people isn't the basic idea, it's the implementation. For starters, the cost and logistics involved, but also the question of whose interpretation of "good driving" applies. I really don't give a poo poo if someone crosses their arms while steering, or has their hand on the gearknob unnecessarily, or commits a multitude of other "not official best practice" sins as long as they are broadly safe.

Powershift posted:

What ever happened to that thing they tried in the 70s where they got rid of anybody over 30?
Depends whether "mid-20s Jenny Agutter" is part of the deal.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
It's easy in Germany. There is a whole rule complex about what kind of stuff you can do right/wrong. Though the whole driver education in the USA does need an overhaul (at least from a foreigners perspective).

Taking the right to drive away, can be a brutal reduction in personal mobility in some cases. There is just a point when the right of other people to use the public roads safely comes before someone else right to drive. Even a small cars are heavier than 2k lbs. That's a lot of force at even 30 mph. I mean you wouldn't allow people to use guns without proper training either? ... Oh well nevermind.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Taking the right to drive away, can be a brutal reduction in personal mobility in some cases.

Nah, just ask all those who drive in the US after their license is revoked for minor drug offences how it goes.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Taking the right to drive away, can be a brutal reduction in personal mobility in some cases. There is just a point when the right of other people to use the public roads safely comes before someone else right to drive. Even a small cars are heavier than 2k lbs. That's a lot of force at even 30 mph. I mean you wouldn't allow people to use guns without proper training either? ... Oh well nevermind.

Freedom means accepting that sometimes bad things happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It took years to get my wife's grandmother to give up driving. Like, her kids took away her keys a few times and that just made her massively angry. So they badgered her into going to her doctor and he was basically "holy gently caress you've got serious dementia lady" and finally convinced her to stop driving.

Though I think that's more because she was getting so physically weak she just didn't care to drive anymore.

The system is hosed and no one gives enough of a poo poo to do anything about it so it's a lovely rite of passage every child has to suffer through.

My idealist proposal is that prior to getting their permanent license every kid has to spend 6 months taking elderly people out on errands but it's kind of pointless to suggest until there's political willpower to do something about it. I suspect that self driving cars will sidestep the issue entirely in a couple decades.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone arguing with PCOS Bill is going to get a day off. PCOS Bill will then get 3 days off to give his eyes some rest, because I like arbitrarily stripping people of their rights.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

^^^^
It's easy in Germany. There is a whole rule complex about what kind of stuff you can do right/wrong.
Well, of course there is.

What I mean is that the standard you need to drive to to pass your test involves a certain amount of semantic bollocks, and what should really matter is a simple question of "are they a danger to other road users?"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Depends on who's on the bike.

If it's you, well..

OH MAN I totally missed this one until I saw the report.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

OH MAN I totally missed this one until I saw the report.

Have you even read half the poo poo he says to me non-stop?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sure have. I'm creepin in this thread quite a lot recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

Sure have. I'm creepin in this thread quite a lot recently.

It's not just this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)