Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

hhbomberguy made a 2 hour video about dark souls 2 being good. thats all the evidence anyone needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
welp that's it, pack it in guys ~bash the fash~

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Armoured Skeptic has a history of being "mistakenly" associated with other shitheads and then being outraged by it, there was a whole Contrapoints video about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GulagDolls posted:

hhbomberguy made a 2 hour video about dark souls 2 being good. thats all the evidence anyone needs

I refuse to watch this video. I spit on your video. I have never even heard of this clown. got any other evidence, buster? you must endlessly feed my demands for proof and attention I mean uh discussion

Symbolic Butt posted:

Armoured Skeptic has a history of being "mistakenly" associated with other shitheads and then being outraged by it, there was a whole Contrapoints video about it.

can you describe this video to me in such a way that I can refute it based on your testimony tia

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

boner confessor posted:

I refuse to watch this video. I spit on your video. I have never even heard of this clown. got any other evidence, buster? you must endlessly feed my demands for proof and attention I mean uh discussion

you could at least try not treating the obvious joke posts as opportunity to project more vitriol

and i'd like to see that video, got a link? e: nvm found it and listening now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

He's right.

I mean not necessarily for the reasons in the video but it is the best souls game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

no.....no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know those times where someone is really obnoxiously grandstanding on a rebuttal becuase they are so certain they are right and the thing they are addressing is absurd to the point of open ridicule, except, what they dont realize is they are actually wrong. it's.... not pretty........

why is there a trend amongst CERTAIN intellectual PEOPLE making videos that are just............way...way too long. a two hour dark souls video... jordan peterson just rambles on and on for 30 minutes to make a single stupid point and it ends up sounding like a manzai act translated literally. whats the DEAL

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GulagDolls posted:

why is there a trend amongst CERTAIN intellectual PEOPLE making videos that are just............way...way too long. a two hour dark souls video... jordan peterson just rambles on and on for 30 minutes to make a single stupid point and it ends up sounding like a manzai act translated literally. whats the DEAL

imagine if your beer money depended on how long you could ramble about nonsense garbage into a camera. that's basically youtube monetization

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like two hours is an appropriate amount of time to talk about how good dark souls 2 is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was more put off by his hating Fallout 3.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Fallout 3 was genuinely garbo though.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

can you describe this video to me in such a way that I can refute it based on your testimony tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLqi2t-oHc

lmao the video is better than I remembered it. 3:15 has some foreshadowing to the vidcon picture

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it was fun but New Vegas put it to shame rather badly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fallout 3 had both severe tech and writing problems, though the environment, setting and greater number of interiors was very cool. NV had better writing crippled by cut content and implementation issues, plus the universal dumb fallou inevitable final conflict. And the setting wasn't quite as cool.

His dark souls 2 video is a colossal stretch, though. There's a lot of vaguely Stockholm syndrome-esque rationalization of broken or janky mechanics there.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

lmao the video is better than I remembered it. 3:15 has some foreshadowing to the vidcon picture

yeah, having listened to it, it's a good video and raises good points

Symbolic Butt posted:

the video goes into this a bit, that armoured skeptic was saying that the anti-sjw thing wasn't a community when to outsiders, it kinda was developing into one

that being said, i hated both contrapoints's editing and the editing in the clips of the armoured skeptic videos that he included for reference, though i'm betting contrapoints has gotten better during the year that's passed since then

edit: or maybe not, having looked at one of his most recent videos

a lot of that is just me having gotten used to sargon, e.g. just talking with no facecam or music or gimmicks or poo poo

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 2, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dark souls 2 has a few redeeming qualities that were fleetingly there and gone and never seen in the series again but he doesn't really touch on any of them. 3 effectively ending the series broke a lot of people's minds WRT 2's legacy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

most people don't conflate "made some videos calling me a dumbass" with "trying to actively destroy all that is good and holy in the world" and don't treat somebody who did the former as if they're doing the latter

But what if I am all that is good and holy in this world?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3 has some nice mechanics in it but I don't like the enemy design particularly and I think the SOTFS edition integrating the DLC content makes DS2 better because you have shitloads of areas, weapons, bosses, which is basically why I play the games.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I know of 2 other people who think Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game, and AFAIK they always thought that. They're also strongly progressive. I guess what I'm saying is, either Dark Souls 2 is great or progressivism is wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ds3 is the best game with the souls name and hbomb's ds2 video wasn't particularly good because he defended some bad things (life gems) and passed over some really good bits (like how the last giant freaks out upon seeing you because he's the giant lord you defeated in the past, except for some loving reason in sots they made that explicit instead of implicit). 2 was also the game that got me into the series as i had a number of false starts with 1. bloodborne is their best game (since it's the best game ever made) and harold's video on it is very good.

NikkolasKing posted:

it was ok at the time but new vegas is one of the better games ever made so it looks so loving bad in comparison. 4 deserves way more hate than 3 tho.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

As someone who really likes Hbomb and Dark Souls II I was really disappointed with his video on the game. He made a whole bunch of weak arguments (some of which were flat-out untrue) and was also enormously smug throughout. Oh well, that same attitude worked for Sherlock so who am I to talk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was ok at the time but new vegas is one of the better games ever made so it looks so loving bad in comparison. 4 deserves way more hate than 3 tho.

I can't remember off-hand since I played Fallout and TES3-5 all around the same time but I think FO3 was my first ever Bethesda game. It was quite the experience.

New Vegas is better overall but in terms of "fun" I think I prefer 3. I love the wasteland and I love the fact death awaits around every corner. NV was just kind of boring by comparison. Just walk along the road and you'll be fine. There is no safe place in FO3. I quickly learned to save compulsively.

I also just found NV to be an easier game overall, although I did not play with Hardcore Mode. I'm also not one of those people who thinks easy games make them bad games, I'm just noting that I barely beat FO3's DLC ending while with NV I didn't even really do anything. Cass and ED-E won for me.

But yeah, in terms of actual story and characters and writing? NV tapdances all over 3 and 4.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 2, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

New Vegas is better overall but in terms of "fun" I think I prefer 3. I love the wasteland and I love the fact death awaits around every corner. NV was just kind of boring by comparison. Just walk along the road and you'll be fine. There is no safe place in FO3. I quickly learned to save compulsively.

Please lend me your magical copy of Fallout 3 where this happens, because that game actually sounds fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Please lend me your magical copy of Fallout 3 where this happens, because that game actually sounds fun.

Well, as far as I know, a lot of it is random. Like, wandering around and oops, I just stumbled upon my first Yao Guai. That was fun.

Or how about my first encounter with an Enclave encampment which also included my first encounter with a Deathclaw and just for good measure, a Giant Radscorpion wandered into the scene. That was awesome. I'm very grateful the game gives you that free Fat Man or else I would have been so screwed there since none of my guns could do real damage to the Dathclaw and while I was busy with it the Encalve were there shooting at me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's really interesting, the pseudo-leftist position you see when the 'skeptics' are trying to address a general audience, a vague notion that they're on the left but then stand against anything the left ever stood for, but when they're among their own they talk about how the west is under cultural attack and property owners need to have more influence in society, and that Muslims will destroy everything in the West.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

You can google davis aurini and watch his poo poo if you want but I'm not doing it for you.

Aurini is shunned by the skeptic community fyi

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Power Stance alone justifies Dark Souls 2.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Nothing justifies Dark Souls 2.

You all should be ashamed. This place and like Neogaf were like the only two sites talking about Demons Souls when it dropped. I want to say that the first Games megathread on that game predated all the major media sites actually reviewing it because it was initially obscure.

And yet here you people are...For shame.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nothing justifies Dark Souls 2.

You all should be ashamed. This place and like Neogaf were like the only two sites talking about Demons Souls when it dropped. I want to say that the first Games megathread on that game predated all the major media sites actually reviewing it because it was initially obscure.

And yet here you people are...For shame.

Yeah it wasnt like 4chan didnt have Demon/Dark Souls threads everyday for months at a time or anything....

also

neoGAF

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

New Vegas is the only true Fallout 3.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
East Coast fallouts don't count

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Nonstop Dark Souls discussion is why the alt-right exists. Thanks Goons.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GulagDolls posted:

It'd be better if he talked about any of the good things in the game during it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Symbolic Butt posted:

behind the scenes spoilers: 90% of the reason this happened was to satisfy this prediction

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

hhbomberguy

was this intentional?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

somekindofguy posted:

Nonstop Dark Souls discussion is why the alt-right exists. Thanks Goons.

dark souls has a trans person in it though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Dark Souls 2 was fun and infinitely better than 99% of the other Triple-A titles released around it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Dark Souls good, Internet Nazis bad.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Now hold on, you can't prove they are Nazis. Unless you can post video evidence of them literally goose-stepping through Berlin in full Nazi regalia while loudly shouting "We are actual for real Nazis!" in the next six seconds then you need to take it back!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Reading the comments on channels related to the Green brothers people seem really mad about them and Anita Sarkeesian, what the hell's going on?

• Locked thread