Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Turns out Reaper Ghoul Flesh is nearly identical to Vallejo Concrete Gray 🙃

Ghoul Flesh is slightly darker, but most importantly, I also got some Athonian Camoshade which gives it the tint I'm looking for.

Here's where I'm at on messing around with Nurgle boys.

I don't even play on playing those guys as an army, they're just such fun models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Jeeze those nurgle guys look soooo good I'm tempted to pick up a box of them myself but I REALLY SHOULD NOT pick up a new chaos faction when I have plenty of poo poo to paint right now already

Just gonna have to make myself admire the Nurgley bits from a distance over here while I keep painting Tzeentch and Tyranid stuff.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
All so gross/good. Grood. Especially that guy on the left, I think it's that outie belly button that freaks me out. Least that's what I hope it is.

Rough dry fit bits together with sticky tack. I got a handful of super cheap led flashlights from the dollar store for the Rick and Morty portal gun I'm making, but I only wanted the internals and lenses for that project. The light bezels fit perfectly over a cutoff of acrylic tubing I had.

Super glued together, and some bent rod for reactor guards.

Added more bendy piping, trying to fit hard bits onto a curved surface was getting tedious. I can't get a decent photo of this from the black plastic, but I added a bit more cowling. Initially I had large curved panels over it as guards, but it didn't look right. With the bracket it's all mounted on, it holds in there just by pressure fitting. Not glued on as that acrylic tube will glow, and I'll need access for adding the led and battery pack.

lovely photo trying to show how much the tube and lens on the back will glow. The acrylic tube is covered in tape to protect it during painting, and it's still bright as hell, so I think it should be bright enough. Not so concerned about lens colour, that can be changed as the whole assembly comes out really easily. I'm thinking red or maybe blue, but a green would work too get across the idea of radiation depends on what complements the final painting, which I also haven't figured out. (I'm considering a rusty streaked teal/turquoise for the main army, but on this inquisitor vehicle I'm thinking a grey/black/red scheme)

VolatileSky fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 2, 2017

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

You project is spiraling out of control in the best possible way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can't wait to post it somewhere outside of SA once you're done!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Where can I buy pin vice bits for cheap without having to buy a new pin vice to go with it? I checked Ebay and while there are some, its all from China and says it will take 1-2 months to ship. I have a 1mm and... 1.2mm? But I need something slightly smaller for drilling barrels.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Green Stuff Wolrd?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Geoff Zahn posted:

Where can I buy pin vice bits for cheap without having to buy a new pin vice to go with it? I checked Ebay and while there are some, its all from China and says it will take 1-2 months to ship. I have a 1mm and... 1.2mm? But I need something slightly smaller for drilling barrels.

I use a set of Dremel drill bits in my pin vise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...CXBL&ref=plSrch

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Finished my first Raven Guard Primaris Marine:

Model rules. Painting it was a ton of fun. 21 more to go!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Unf. That is hot AF.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Amazon? That's where I got mine.

Looks like most of them come with a vise now, but you can find a few by themselves, or these bundles of magnets and bits to match which is cool: https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-Drill-Bits-Combo-Pack/dp/B00CA58RJY/

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 2, 2017

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Just finished my Gaunt Summoner for AoS Skirmish

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my first Raven Guard Primaris Marine:

Model rules. Painting it was a ton of fun. 21 more to go!

How much time do you spend painting each week?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Helmet Lieutenant rules, I made the same.

MK III helmet is the other good option.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How much time do you spend painting each week?

Probably between 5-10 hours a week.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I'm doing some painting commission work (my first even) for some Space Wolves and they need to be on snowbases in this case.
I've seen SRM's recipe for them but I'm looking for some alternatives as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I decided to start painting my samurai dude because a friend and I have been wanting to get our samurai minis done for our historical samurai games. Been a while since I've painted yellow skirts, but does this look about right? I probably got the white placement wrong and will need to correct it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I decided to start painting my samurai dude because a friend and I have been wanting to get our samurai minis done for our historical samurai games. Been a while since I've painted yellow skirts, but does this look about right? I probably got the white placement wrong and will need to correct it.

That looks pretty natural to me. Judging from the placement of the white, i'm assuming the light source is in front of the miniature and to it's left as you look at it. Looks great, by the way! Great transition.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

Holy gently caress, this looks tight. I'd be very happy with it.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with the model.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So one of the few well adjusted humans at my FLGS is handing me down his old airbrush, minus the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Compressor/dp/B001TO578Q

Should I get a good compressor now, or just a lil' cheapo guy to get a feel for it?

He said it wasn't the best, but I'm not mad about a free airbrush. At the very least, it'll make priming easier.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So one of the few well adjusted humans at my FLGS is handing me down his old airbrush, minus the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Compressor/dp/B001TO578Q

Should I get a good compressor now, or just a lil' cheapo guy to get a feel for it?

He said it wasn't the best, but I'm not mad about a free airbrush. At the very least, it'll make priming easier.

Personally, I'm all for the cheapo compressor with a tank. You're using a basic brush, so there is no need to get a $300+ compressor. If you think it's something you'd like to continue with, then think about upgrading.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a go to Lightbox guide? Diy or at least a cheap kit

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a go to Lightbox guide? Diy or at least a cheap kit

1) Go on Amazon
2) Purchase Foldio 2
3) Glory in the fine pictures

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up my first squad of Intercessors. Did a quick n' dirty drybrush on these guys. Just wanted to get them up to table top standard.

With these done, I now have 1 more squad of Intercessors and a unit of Hell Blasters and I"ll be finished with my first half of the Dark Imperium set.

Then I have to start on my second half. :suicide:

I might go back and fix the splits, but we'll see how I feel after finishing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

1) Go on Amazon
2) Purchase Foldio 2
3) Glory in the fine pictures

He said cheap. The Foldio is too expensive for what you get.

Here's a 16" x 16" alternative for $38.

Or a 10" x 10" version for $18.

A big one for all those shiny new Primaris Marines - only $56.

Got lights? $20 will get you a good 24" x 24" cube.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I've got these chaos knights. 2 or 3 of the horses I want to do a brownish or tan color, the others black. Here are my options, which ones should I use to basecoat?

Umbral Umber

Battlefield Brown

Bootstrap Leather

Beast Hide

Bloodtracker Brown

Bloodstone

A sample of one of the knights I'm painting:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zuul the Cat posted:

That looks pretty natural to me. Judging from the placement of the white, i'm assuming the light source is in front of the miniature and to it's left as you look at it. Looks great, by the way! Great transition.

Thanks. I went for the obvious choice with red into orange but dialed back on the typical 80s colors I enjoy. Is there a way to incorporate more purples into a shadow color for orange? I feel like it's possible with color theory but I never look up color charts. This would be for his twin who I will make totally 80s

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Well, this was interesting. I had some minis that I airbrushed a bit wrong and needed to strip. I used concentrated pinesol, since the store didn't have simple green. I left 'em overnight. This morning, the paint had mostly fallen off.

I grabbed 'em, rinsed them off, shook them in a paper towel, then tossed them in a plastic bag for transport. There was still some water in the crevices and a slight smell of pinesol, but I didn't think much of it.

I left them in my car for about an hour while I was eating. It is pretty warm out, about 102 F, but I've left minis in the car in much warmer weather than this with no real issues.

Something about this combination of factors caused the minis to melt into each other, the plastic "glued' together and slightly gooey where the models had touched, similar to the effects of plastic glue.

Now, happily, these are some Death Guard minis from the new 40K box, so nothing really bad happened. But I'm probably going to go with a different mini stripper in the future.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
For anyone reading the thread and wanting to strip metal models, I cannot recommend dichloromethane highly enough.

Makes eBay rescues a piece of cake

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's the best thing for doing metals but it's horrendous poo poo that will burn and poison you and the environment :ohdear: everyone please try something else first

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You can get more or less the same result just using Biostrip.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is brilliant! Thanks

E: need some advice on skin tone:

Wondering about what color/technique I should use that would compliment the color scheme I've thrown together so far. Other than that, anything else I should be doing to finish up these AI dirtbags?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also thanks. Was curious about this but the Foldio is more than I wanna spend on a box for taking fancy pictures of my space barbies. I could buy more space barbies for the cost of a Foldio!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
edit: ^^^ Taken with a Foldio 2 ^^^

xpostin'

Old One Eye:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

chutche2 posted:

So I've got these chaos knights. 2 or 3 of the horses I want to do a brownish or tan color, the others black. Here are my options, which ones should I use to basecoat?

Umbral Umber

Battlefield Brown

Bootstrap Leather

Beast Hide

Bloodtracker Brown

Bloodstone

A sample of one of the knights I'm painting:

I really like the look of that Umbral Umber, it'll give the horses a nice deep chestnut brown base to highlight up from with the Battlefield Brown. That and a darker mane will make for a horse that's dark and menacing-looking without resorting to a pure black.
For a much lighter horse, P3 makes Rucksack Tan, which is a warm medium khaki comparable to Beast Hide. I've always liked that color, especially as a base for hair and some wood tones.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah when I went to check if I still had rucksack tan earlier I found out the pot was a solid chunk of rubber

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Just a heads up, this post is sorta vent-y. I'm not sure, but I think I'm in a bit of a rut.

Is it normal to feel like I might be trying to paint better than my abilities allow? I've watched tons of videos from Duncan, Mig, MWG Chris and Janine, etc, and I feel like I'm trying too hard on the fine detail work or something

I get the basic base, wash, layer, highlight thing, but I think I'm overcompensating for fuckups that might not be there.

People seem to like my dudes when they see them, (a few people even asked me to do commission work for them today :ohdear: ) but I can't get past almost wanting to strip everything and start over.

This is the best picture I can take for now, since my phone is crap. There's about 3 shades of pink on this thing:

A dude I was talking to earlier today said it was good that I push myself beyond my abilities, which made sense. I guess I just wanted to know if others have felt this way, or went through a similar experience during their years of painting minis.

Maybe I'm being too critical of myself, but I need to figure out how to reel it back in some areas like base colors and layers, and be more conservative with highlights. I also need to learn some small area dry brush techniques.

Edit: the lovely quality of the phone pic is blending the pink gradient, and making it look way better than it does in reality.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 4, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
By and large, nothing is really beyond your abilities, especially if you're still young. No one is born a great painter. Keep practicing and growing. I don't think any painter ever thinks that they're done learning and can stop pushing themselves.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

For a bit of context, my chosen are the first thing I've ever painted that isn't Tau, so I don't really know how to deal with so much model detail and stuff.

If 38 is young, then I'll take it! :v: I realize pushing myself is necessary to get better, I just didn't think that's what I was doing. Or maybe it didn't feel like that's what I was doing. I just wanted to do the best job I could with what little experience I have, and I can't really tell when to simply stop and say "This model is finished." How do you decide when to push your abilities, and when to just be done with a model?

Edit: it's like I'm accidentally taking things further than I had intended with every new unit, rather than just being comfortable at a certain level for a bit just to get poo poo done.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

At least it's not a mousepad and crocodile clips :shrug: