Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/unsuiii/status/880952558604439553

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

ugh two bad snipes in a row.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Trig Discipline posted:

actually there's a strong argument to be made (and it is currently gaining ground) that parameter estimates and confidence intervals are a much more appropriate way to do most of what people currently do with frequentist stats, so you kinda know the good bit

i haven't read this book about it but i've heard it highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-New-Statistics-Meta-Analysis-Multivariate/dp/041587968X

basically the idea is that null hypothesis rejection is a pretty poo poo way to do statistics, and even within the frequentist paradigm we can do way better.

big scary monsters posted:

obviously a lot has been written since, but there are two classic papers on the subject by jacob cohen (who was a psychologist, so he really knew bad stats) that are easy to read and explain the problems of null hypothesis testing really well

Things I Have Learned (So Far), 1990 is an informal discussion of problems with common statistical methods, while The Earth is Round (p < .05), 1994 is a very nice and clear criticism of NHST with examples, and should be required reading for anyone doing science imo

Loving the stats chat, with the lads :cheers:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

he'd thrash around a lot unless you had him well pinned

also ugh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SATURDAY NIGHT MOTHER FUCKERS

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

vodkat posted:

Loving the stats chat, with the lads :cheers:
Cracking open a textbook with the boys.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

Cracking open a textbook with the boys.

studying arctic with the boys

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

holy poo poo I've never seen this in an arcade before

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

holy poo poo i haven't either.

not that i have gone looking for it or anything, but you know

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
http://i.imgur.com/cTsFwuI.mp4

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
$10K per game but what a game

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's too bad pinball machines are so expensive and prone to breakage, I wouldn't mind owning one.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There used to be a pretty old pinball machine at work, but it kept breaking so they donated it to the pinball museum :(. I never got to max out the score

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this guy rules.

he just calls the audience bigots and says they should have gone to college.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i can think of three bars with ~10 good pinball tables each in chicago alone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

holy poo poo I've never seen this in an arcade before

If you're ever up in Rochester, go to the Strong Museum of Play. My company did work for them a couple years ago, and I made sure when my wife and I were in the area that we took a trip there. There's a room on the lower floor set aside specifically for Pinball machines - they have a couple old electro-mechanical only machines, plus some really good unique machines. They have Johnny Mnemonic, as well as Hercules (world's biggest pinball machine), Banzai Run (Has a vertical play field at the back), Haunted House (3 playfields, loving nuts), and Revenge From Mars (uses the glass to reflect a video screen, making an overlay at the back of the field).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a slightly diff lol if you do this today
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/banknote150/

i tried a couple days ago and noticed the falling cash notes were broken. guess they were migrating to this which is why

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

this is a pretty masterful troll because i honestly can't tell which group he trolls harder, the american left or the american right

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I got mad when I saw the picture, because I assumed he's making fun of me. Maybe conservatives feel the same way. Like a reverse Stephen Colbert?

Although it's kinda lame that the best thing they could think of was to plaster him in Hillary pictures.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
he needs to do a match against someone like a Ted DiBiase or Irwin R Schyster and then take all of their money and shower the crowd with singles. that is his face turn right there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TOOT BOOT posted:

I got mad when I saw the picture, because I assumed he's making fun of me. Maybe conservatives feel the same way. Like a reverse Stephen Colbert?

Although it's kinda lame that the best thing they could think of was to plaster him in Hillary pictures.
source your quotes

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sapozhnik posted:

this is a pretty masterful troll because i honestly can't tell which group he trolls harder, the american left or the american right

the he wapo article I read quoted him saying that he has no trouble playing the part because it is "close to his own actual politics"

he just actually believes what he says and doesn't have to act. he's just an angry and unapologetic version of the left, acting the way angry right wingers act, but saying left wing things.

it's fantastic. I want to go to a match and root for him.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
here is the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.76d88aa1aae5

quote:

“I understand now why you all identify with country music. It’s slow and it’s simple and it’s boring, just like each and every one of you.”

As the crowd grew increasing hostile, the wrestler’s remarks became more politically tinged.

“You know what, I think Bernie Sanders would make a great secretary of state.”

“I want to exchange your bullets for bullet points. Bullet points of knowledge.”

this man is a god drat genius

quote:

Part of the trick is that his character’s politics are “not much of a stretch” from his own, as he told Deadspin.

“It’s not like I’m pretending to be something I’m not,” he told Sports Illustrated. “I’m just turning it up. I hear Trump chants everywhere I go now, as soon as I walk out.”

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dedication to performance art is not worth taking a bullet to the face which seems like a very real possibility when playing that character

also actual left wingers by and large are not big fans of hillary clinton

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

dedication to performance art is not worth taking a bullet to the face which seems like a very real possibility when playing that character

also actual left wingers by and large are not big fans of hillary clinton

is there evidence of a Wrestler ever being murdered over a gimmick?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

man what is up w/ that yard is that phoenix

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
He is trying to stick it in the wrong hole.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just flip upside down

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

via how to do nothing

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

is there evidence of a Wrestler ever being murdered over a gimmick?

idk but the drag queens from drag race get death threats all the time when they just say something shady about one of the fan favorites so i'm thinking it's just a matter of time

people are mad stupid about their entertainment

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Hopefully someone Tonya Harding's Phi Phi O'Hara one day

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

idk but the drag queens from drag race get death threats all the time when they just say something shady about one of the fan favorites so i'm thinking it's just a matter of time

I don't know a queen violent enough to actually follow through on those petty death threats, though.
https://i.imgur.com/ronQfDg.gifv

f e: American Appetites, spotted at ribfest.

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

C.H.O.M.E posted:

here is the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.76d88aa1aae5

this man is a god drat genius

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bayou bolshevik
country comrade
muddin marx