Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Messages are backed up in plain text iirc

Heh. Really? Kind of nerfs secure comms with WhatsApp unless whoever you're talking to has told you they aren't using Drive backup. I mean, from a zero-knowledge perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think it's to ensure that the backup can be restored no matter what.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I guess they could encrypt them with your public key but since we don't have direct access to it you'd still rely on them for the restore. Actually, this got me thinking, would it be possible for Signal to add that feature (user-provided public key)? From what I understand of their protocol it should be possible (unlike WhatsApp modified version) ? More hassle sure, but users who want to handle their public/private key themselves wouldn't mind I reckon.

Am I wrong (probably) ?

E:

apropos man posted:

Heh. Really? Kind of nerfs secure comms with WhatsApp unless whoever you're talking to has told you they aren't using Drive backup. I mean, from a zero-knowledge perspective.

WhatsApp isn't really designed for secure communications. Well not to paranoia levels. I'd go for for Wickr or Signal if I had something to hide, not WhatsApp.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could do something like a keyfile and OCR it off a piece of paper, maybe? Add passphrase to taste.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Furism posted:

WhatsApp isn't really designed for secure communications. Well not to paranoia levels. I'd go for for Wickr or Signal if I had something to hide, not WhatsApp.

Well it's mainstream, massive userbase stuff, but here in the UK our government have been recently calling for stuff like WhatsApp to be back-doored to them. Makes me wonder if they know that they can simply ask Google for the conversations for some of their intelligence targets. I mean, there must be a few terrorists out there with Google Drive backup turned on, oblivious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

What does Signal provide that WhatsApp doesn't, specifically? It would be good to know when making recommendations. I thought they were pretty similar, given that Moxie did the ratchet/protocol work for both. WhatsApp has some defaults that aren't as strong like around key update, but they can be easily changed.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

What does Signal provide that WhatsApp doesn't, specifically? It would be good to know when making recommendations. I thought they were pretty similar, given that Moxie did the ratchet/protocol work for both. WhatsApp has some defaults that aren't as strong like around key update, but they can be easily changed.

WhatsApp doesn't tell you if your contact key changed unless you go to the settings and turn it on. Signal does that by default. WhatsApp allows sending to multiple people by encrypting the message with the public key of each person. Facebook could add a, say, NSA key to the list with no knowledge of the user. WhatsApp preannounces a bunch of keys to encrypt with in case you are offline so messages can still be delivered to a central server until you get online again - you could add another NSA key there. Signal doesn't do that.

Whatsapp is fine and I use it all the time because I don't have the proverbial thing to hide and it's secure enough, I feel, for public or hotel Wifi and such but I wouldn't recommend it to an activist in a dictatorship country.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Also, I think you can't get back old messages by changing phone because with Signal the private key sticks to the phones ; not with Whatsapp.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I haven't gone digging in it but what's the protocol for whatsapp web?

Obviously their servers can steal your traffic if you use it because they're delivering the app in javascript and could modify it to give them your key trivially, but is it secure against third parties?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

WhatsApp doesn't tell you if your contact key changed unless you go to the settings and turn it on. Signal does that by default. WhatsApp allows sending to multiple people by encrypting the message with the public key of each person. Facebook could add a, say, NSA key to the list with no knowledge of the user. WhatsApp preannounces a bunch of keys to encrypt with in case you are offline so messages can still be delivered to a central server until you get online again - you could add another NSA key there. Signal doesn't do that.

Whatsapp is fine and I use it all the time because I don't have the proverbial thing to hide and it's secure enough, I feel, for public or hotel Wifi and such but I wouldn't recommend it to an activist in a dictatorship country.

Thanks, that's helpful. I've worked on projects to provide activist-grade security within a mobile app, and it's a depressing pursuit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/881304039669059585

:stonk:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/881365990113759232

:stonklol:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/greminal/status/881323609372991489

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The issue seems to be that the "User=" field is interpreting the value "0day" as a UID, because usernames are not allowed to begin with numbers. So "0day" runs as root, and "7oz" doesn't run because there's no user with UID 7. It's possible that some part of systemd relies on reading the UID in this manner, which would mean that it isn't a bug. It is unexpected behavior, but so is a username that begins with a number.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

anthonypants posted:

The issue seems to be that the "User=" field is interpreting the value "0day" as a UID, because usernames are not allowed to begin with numbers. So "0day" runs as root, and "7oz" doesn't run because there's no user with UID 7. It's possible that some part of systemd relies on reading the UID in this manner, which would mean that it isn't a bug. It is unexpected behavior, but so is a username that begins with a number.

How much is Systemd paying you? :allears:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

What is the difference between a bug and "unexpected behavior"?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

What is the difference between a bug and "unexpected behavior"?
What would happen if you put a nul character in that username field? Would the result be a bug in systemd if something allowed you to create a username with a nul character in it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just realized that I had SMBv1 turned on in my PC, so I turned it off. Why do these idiots still install that by default, and why is it only THIS FALL that Windows 10 will have it disabled by default? :psyduck:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

What would happen if you put a nul character in that username field? Would the result be a bug in systemd if something allowed you to create a username with a nul character in it?

It would be a bug in the username parsing, yes. It should simply reject anything invalid, even if the user creation script allowed it.

Which is what i am pretty sure happens if you create a null user like that. Anything that relies on that user won't work.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

anthonypants posted:

If you look at the comment a bit down the page, the '7oz' user gets their thing run as root. Which is idiotic. If it fails to parse the username it should log a message saying so and then fail rather than defaulting to running it as root.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vOv posted:

If you look at the comment a bit down the page, the '7oz' user gets their thing run as root. Which is idiotic. If it fails to parse the username it should log a message saying so and then fail rather than defaulting to running it as root.
I just tried this on Fedora 24, and wasn't able to replicate it.

Created a user '7oz'
Created a test service that runs /usr/bin/whoami
Started the service
grep whoami /var/log/messages => 'Jul 1 22:29:47 hostname whoami[14664]: 7oz'

This is systemd 229 so maybe I need 232 or newer?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Does Fedora have m'ladyware?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

anthonypants posted:

I just tried this on Fedora 24, and wasn't able to replicate it.

Created a user '7oz'
Created a test service that runs /usr/bin/whoami
Started the service
grep whoami /var/log/messages => 'Jul 1 22:29:47 hostname whoami[14664]: 7oz'

This is systemd 229 so maybe I need 232 or newer?

It's possible. But either way the original bug is really stupid; if I want something to run as a given user, it should run as exactly that user or not at all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

anthonypants posted:

It's possible that some part of systemd relies on reading the UID in this manner, which would mean that it isn't a bug. It is unexpected behavior, but so is a username that begins with a number.

You're right, it's not a bug. The correct term is "failure." Error leads to fault leads to failure.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How is a failure not a bug?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

D. Ebdrup posted:

Bug report: I smashed my computer with a hammer, systemd no longer boots

Not that I think this qualifies under that example. Mainly, if systemd is supposed to be "init for the future" it should be aiming to go beyond posix standard usernames. For one thing, everybody outside the anglosphere wants characters other than a-z in usernames. So if you're working to have robust support for non-posix usernames, you might as well make sure they don't start things root as well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you believe that unexpected behavior is not a bug, unexpected behavior is the definition of a failure.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

whole lot of unexpected posts itt

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Except that users starting with numbers are actually valid under POSIX.

So uh, eh. Maybe allow them and default to nobody (or better yet, throw an error, but... systemd...) rather than root on any remaining validation failures.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just so everyone is clear:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/ posted:

3.437 User Name
A string that is used to identify a user; see also User Database. To be portable across systems conforming to POSIX.1-2008, the value is composed of characters from the portable filename character set. The <hyphen-minus> character should not be used as the first character of a portable user name.

3.282 Portable Filename Character Set
The set of characters from which portable filenames are constructed.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . _ -

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just realized that I had SMBv1 turned on in my PC, so I turned it off. Why do these idiots still install that by default, and why is it only THIS FALL that Windows 10 will have it disabled by default? :psyduck:

XP/2003 compatibility and a bunch of multifunction printer vendors who are lovely and still only support v1, not to mention all the terrible samba implementations that only have v1 enabled by default, Devil is in the details.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Chrome added this bullshit and turned it on by default, no obvious place to turn it off:

"Drop support for embedded credentials in subresource requests. We should block requests for subresources that contain embedded credentials (e.g. "http://ima_user:hunter2@example.com/yay.tiff"). Such resources would be handled as network errors."

I can see the reason, because bookmarks (probably) aren't encrypted but I hate that it's handled as a network error (it's not a network error) and that their ticket doesn't list a workaround for users who understand the risk but accept it. Also hate that there's any obvious way to comment, ask a question or provide feedback in any way besides opening a new bug.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

XP/2003 compatibility and a bunch of multifunction printer vendors who are lovely and still only support v1, not to mention all the terrible samba implementations that only have v1 enabled by default, Devil is in the details.

I'm having to move from SMBv1 to loving FTP on a 2 year old Dell multifunction. At least Dell stopped making printers, they were poo poo at it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm having to move from SMBv1 to loving FTP on a 2 year old Dell multifunction. At least Dell stopped making printers, they were poo poo at it.

What's wrong with ftp?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

I can see the reason, because bookmarks (probably) aren't encrypted but I hate that it's handled as a network error (it's not a network error) and that their ticket doesn't list a workaround for users who understand the risk but accept it. Also hate that there's any obvious way to comment, ask a question or provide feedback in any way besides opening a new bug.

Why would bookmarks matter for subresources?

E: I think they have google groups for discussion somewhere

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 3, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

What's wrong with ftp?

Just seems like a step backwards - it requires a new service to be turned on and tested on our file server(s), and in a world where Samba can happily work with SMB3 it's a bit crazy that a printer released years after SMB2 became common doesn't support it. But that's printers all over I suppose.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

Why would bookmarks matter for subresources?

E: I think they have google groups for discussion somewhere

I think it's not just from bookmarks, it's also from URI. So you can't fetch say http://someone:somepass@somewhere.some/lolilol.css. If your resources use relative paths, the browser will automatically prepend the domain (including credentials) to the request. I suppose because the credentials are exposed on the network it's a potential problem, but TLS doesn't seem to make a difference: it's blocked just the same. And it's really not a network error, that's a very wrong characterization of the issue on their part ; it's a subjective design decision based on a usage that could lead to information disclosure ; but it's not a network error because the network is fine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Just seems like a step backwards - it requires a new service to be turned on and tested on our file server(s), and in a world where Samba can happily work with SMB3 it's a bit crazy that a printer released years after SMB2 became common doesn't support it. But that's printers all over I suppose.

Newer is not always better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

I think it's not just from bookmarks, it's also from URI. So you can't fetch say http://someone:somepass@somewhere.some/lolilol.css. If your resources use relative paths, the browser will automatically prepend the domain (including credentials) to the request. I suppose because the credentials are exposed on the network it's a potential problem, but TLS doesn't seem to make a difference: it's blocked just the same. And it's really not a network error, that's a very wrong characterization of the issue on their part ; it's a subjective design decision based on a usage that could lead to information disclosure ; but it's not a network error because the network is fine.

It's a network error like a malformed URI is, or an incorrect domain name, or a botched TLS handshake. Have you actually seen the thread wherever that led to the change, or are you mind-reading? They wouldn't have said subresource if they didn't mean it, in my browser-making experience. I also don't know what "from URI" means in your first sentence, since bookmarks store URIs.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
There's no network error. The browser can reach the resources just fine, the devs apparently just decided to block "subresource" downloads if the origin URI has credentials in it. I wish I had a thread but they don't provide one. Just a warning in the console with a link to a bug page. I don't care enough to look for one since I can just switch to Firefox to access the page, I simply find their handling of that change a little bit lacking.

Edit: added screenshot and link

Furism fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the refusal to load is just like mixed content stuff, which I think has always been a network error.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/m/#!topic/blink-dev/lx-U_JR2BF0 is the thread. Of note: IE hasn't supported inline credentials since 2011; the things they're trying to defend against manifest in the query over Google's web brain. (See Mike West's Feb 7 message.)