Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Anyone have tips for remote play? I got a 60mb connection, ps4 wired up, and yet the lag makes it unplayable from 5 feet away. This is the only thing I can't stream satisfactorally and that fact alone is triggering me.

Wire the laptop i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

Did anybody play Kholat? Kind of tempted to grab it on sale since I usually like those games.

It's dumb and bad and the Wikipedia page about Dyatlov Pass is spookier than the game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh christ the motorcycle in Crash 3 remake is just as difficult to handle as the jetski.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

incorporeal posted:

Sorry there is women in your video game

what? It's nohing to do with women in video games (who have been in video games since the industrys inception) I hope the next WW2 depicts the Nazis as being equal opportunity facists lead by a black woman and the allied forces were made up of transsexual Asian men. Because going through diversity checklists are more important than the truth right?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
There's a very strong argument to be made for beating Crash 2 and 3 before going back and doing 1, although you'll miss the slide jump and bodyslam.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr President posted:

what? It's nohing to do with women in video games (who have been in video games since the industrys inception) I hope the next WW2 depicts the Nazis as being equal opportunity facists lead by a black woman and the allied forces were made up of transsexual Asian men. Because going through diversity checklists are more important than the truth right?
Did you go out of your way to describe a game that would completely rule?

Myself, I'm expecting CoD to not be historically accurate but in the most boring ways possible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr President posted:

Finally an actually interesting WW2 game

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Star Man posted:

Oh christ the motorcycle in Crash 3 remake is just as difficult to handle as the jetski.

I'm a huge Crash 3 apologist but those vehicle sections just bite a big one. I don't suppose you can play as Coco during the bike sections to see her sporting a leather jacket? That would be beyond ill.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FauxLeather posted:

I'm a huge Crash 3 apologist but those vehicle sections just bite a big one. I don't suppose you can play as Coco during the bike sections to see her sporting a leather jacket? That would be beyond ill.

Nope. Even if you play as Coco, vehicle stages are done with their default character.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Mr President posted:

It's a video game so yes

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Mr President posted:

I hope the next WW2 depicts the Nazis as being equal opportunity facists lead by a black woman and the allied forces were made up of transsexual Asian men. Because going through diversity checklists are more important than the truth right?

That's so absurd it sounds pretty fun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr President posted:

I'd actually play this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Midjack posted:

I'd actually play this.

No you want to play operation market garden for the 50th time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

No you want to play operation market garden for the 50th time

:goatdrugs:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mr President posted:

He, yes the truth that WW2 was won by one single guy who mowed down more enemies than the rest of the army put together. COD has nothing to so with the truth and never has been.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr President posted:

On a scale of 1 to making the decision to become a MGTOW how upset were you by the Ghostbusters remake

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Midjack posted:

I'd actually play this.

In my experience, when somebody try to write a outlandish version of a game has "nobody would play this", the result is to amazing that everyone turns to want to play it.

I want to play a Pirates in the Caribean game with modern settings. Where the Caribean sea is infested with pirates with modern ships sinking USA ships and stealing their cargo. Maybe even attacking coast cities asking for a ransom in gold.

What about a World War 2 that continue from a alternative ending of "Indiana Jons and the Lost Ark" where the Nazis actually get a hand on the Ark, and succesfully use it to request miracles from God. USA is forced to do a pact with the demon, with the actual satan, and create demon soldiers to fight against german super-soldiers with angelic powers. That sounds absolutelly friking awesome.

What It would be crush boring is the actual WW2, again.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Wow, Crash 2 feels way better! There's still some lil problems, but they don't make me want to stop playing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr President posted:

Yes

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tei posted:

In my experience, when somebody try to write a outlandish version of a game has "nobody would play this", the result is to amazing that everyone turns to want to play it.

I want to play a Pirates in the Caribean game with modern settings. Where the Caribean sea is infested with pirates with modern ships sinking USA ships and stealing their cargo. Maybe even attacking coast cities asking for a ransom in gold.

What about a World War 2 that continue from a alternative ending of "Indiana Jons and the Lost Ark" where the Nazis actually get a hand on the Ark, and succesfully use it to request miracles from God. USA is forced to do a pact with the demon, with the actual satan, and create demon soldiers to fight against german super-soldiers with angelic powers. That sounds absolutelly friking awesome.

What It would be crush boring is the actual WW2, again.

Off the top of my head, the only game I can think of that's done something like that was Command and Conquer: Red Alert. There's certainly more, but I can't recall any at the moment.

The real irony of Call of Duty WWII is that ten or so years ago, WWII was getting really stale between Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, and Brothers in Arms. There's other wars and periods of history that haven't really been explored too much. I think the Meiji Restoration would make for a really interesting setting for video games, but aside from the Fall of the Samurai expansions for Total War: Shogun 2, Way of the Samurai 4, and The Last Blade (which is actually set in the Bakamatsu era), it seems to be pretty much ignored.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 2, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Montalvo posted:

On a scale of 1 to making the decision to become a MGTOW how upset were you by the Ghostbusters remake

I thought it sucked rear end and completely missed the point of the first 2 films (felt more like a spoof of Ghostbusters) and it flopped hard as it rightfully should have.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Renoistic posted:

He, yes the truth that WW2 was won by one single guy who mowed down more enemies than the rest of the army put together. COD has nothing to so with the truth and never has been.

In no WW2 Call of Duty game did a single guy win WW2. Have you ever actually played one of them or just talking out the rear end?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you play as Run The Jewels in COD WW2?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mr President posted:

In no WW2 Call of Duty game did a single guy win WW2. Have you ever actually played one of them or just talking out the rear end?

You know what I mean. You're expected to do 99% of the killing by yourself. It's one big power fantasy that has never been about "the truth" or whatever. Copy/pasting quotes on the loading screen doesn't make it more than a game, even if the devs would like you to think that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If there is one thing I'm looking for in a COD game, it's definitely the truth

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Andrast posted:

If there is one thing I'm looking for in a COD game, it's definitely the truth

What do the numbers mean

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Off the top of my head, the only game I can think of that's done something like that was Command and Conquer: Red Alert. There's certainly more, but I can't recall any at the moment.

The real irony of Call of Duty WWII is that ten or so years ago, WWII was getting really stale between Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, and Brothers in Arms. There's other wars and periods of history that haven't really been explored too much. I think the Meiji Restoration would make for a really interesting setting for video games, but aside from the Fall of the Samurai expansions for Total War: Shogun 2, Way of the Samurai 4, and The Last Blade (which is actually set in the Bakamatsu era), it seems to be pretty much ignored.

I think the problem is finding good story periods where USA fought.

Could be:
- Korean war.
- Vietnam war.
- Irak War, but more the vehicle warfare in the desert than infantry combat.
- USA civil war

Theres a lot of wars that you can't have a videogame because nobody care about.
Like.... Spain vs USA war. One of the reasons Spain lost that war is because they never took USA seriusly. You can't have a videogame about it now because USA don't take Spain seriusly has a enemy. For a story to work the protagonist antagonist must be credible.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 2, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my goodness the save icon in Crash is a little memory card. Had to awkwardly explain to my partner why I found the loading screen so hilarious. :allears:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my goodness the save icon in Crash is a little memory card. Had to awkwardly explain to my partner why I found the loading screen so hilarious. :allears:

they've never heard of memory cards huh, well don't I feel old!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is the drowning death animation new in Crash Bandicoot? I swear blind in the original it just popped the generic Angel animation.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Mr President posted:

I too would like to trivialize the role of women in all stages of history and imagine that is only me who matters.

You are ignoring truth for a more popularized version of heroic man war. Women weren't commonly in uniforms on the front lines at the time, they were just on the front lines as underground agents, smugglers, spies, nurses, combat medics, snipers, saboteurs, and activists, let alone you know fueling the whole nosediving war-economy from collapsing with their physical labor which led it's own revolution.

But cool for you hating asians and blacks and trans people publicly because momentarily the spotlight wasn't on your micropenis.

revolther
May 27, 2008
My online avatar needs to be an amorphous military blob with a dick, because that's REAL. Otherwise I would of course choose a purple amorphous military elf with a huge rack because FANTASY

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That reminds me that Medal of Honour Underground was a real good game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tei posted:

I think the problem is finding good story periods where USA fought.

Could be:
- Korean war.
- Vietnam war.
- Irak War, but more the vehicle warfare in the desert than infantry combat.
- USA civil war

Theres a lot of wars that you can't have a videogame because nobody care about.
Like.... Spain vs USA war. One of the reasons Spain lost that war is because they never took USA seriusly. You can't have a videogame about it now because USA don't take Spain seriusly has a enemy. For a story to work the protagonist antagonist must be credible.

I thought it had more to do with gameplay. I was surprised that Battlefield 1 was set during WWI, because I was always under the assumption that making shooter based around World War 1 (or any of the wars before then) wouldn't really be viable since firearms were still pretty clunky and unreliable. From what I remember hearing, though, Battlefield 1 was pretty loose in terms of historical accuracy to the firearms and tech.

revolther posted:

You are ignoring truth for a more popularized version of heroic man war. Women weren't commonly in uniforms on the front lines at the time, they were just on the front lines as underground agents, smugglers, spies, nurses, combat medics, snipers, saboteurs, and activists, let alone you know fueling the whole nosediving war-economy from collapsing with their physical labor which led it's own revolution.

There actually have been a couple of games in that vein, like Medal of Honor: Underground and Velvet Assassin (though I remember the latter not being very well received).

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I don't know if people have talked much about Rime ITT, but I think in the last guardian thread one or two people said Rime was awful or not worth playing, but I just picked it up from GameStop on a whim and now that I've beat it I'm happy I did. I'd rather take a mediocre Ico/Journey type game than most other games really (and imo it's not mediocre), but I'm picky and a Fumito Ueda fanboy. I just beat it late last night and it probably took ~8 hours and while it's no Journey or Ico it's still really good and worth at least renting if you're even remotely into those sorts of games. It controls really nicely (unlike Ico!) and has lots and lots of cool secrets/collectibles which are really well hidden and make exploring the beautiful environments even more fun to spend time in, but they're all also completely optional which is nice because it adds a lot of replay value for those who want to play it again, or people who just want to complete the main story. All the footage I saw before I played it looked way more jolly and colorful than it really is and as you progress through the game the environments get way darker and sinister than the trailers make it seem, it's a pretty sad story that I didn't expect, and gets particularly darker in the later levels.

I feel like games like this get unfair criticism because of the very few obvious influences and lack of other similar games, when other popular genre games don't get the same sort of critique for some reason I don't understand. Like I said before, I'd much rather play a game that's heavily inspired by unique games like Ico or Journey than a critically acclaimed game that doesn't try to push boundaries and try new things or rely on tropes that've been done countless times.

I do agree with some people who've said the game feels maudlin at times or the emotional story telling feel forced or over the top, but it's also ambiguous enough in other ways that I didn't really care. Also the puzzles are solid aside from some that feel like a slog and sometimes they feel repetitive but it's a minor gripe, because the environments are really varied. Also the platforming and controls are great, so it rarely felt like a burden or filler and when you die from the few things that can kill you you basically instantly respawn right before the spot you died.

Sorry for the long defense of this game, but I feel like it's unfair and I also heard that one of the developers read a Neogaf thread that was making GBS threads on the game before it came out I think and apparently cried for two days, so I felt bad because the team clearly put a poo poo ton of work into this game. Also it came with a nice cloth map of the island which is neat, but doesn't help with the game at all really.

Have they announced the PS Plus games this month? I need to renew my subscription but it's not really worth it if there aren't good games because I don't really have any games that I would want to play online yet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Max Wilco posted:

From what I remember hearing, though, Battlefield 1 was pretty loose in terms of historical accuracy to the firearms and tech.

Yeah BF1 is basically a WW2 shooter except with gas grenades (and a bit jankier tanks/planes) but they play close enough to WW2 that if you just reskinned and renamed everything to WW2-equivalent that all but the die-hard mil-history spergs wouldn't be able to tell the difference really.

Still was a p fun game and their decisions were for the best gameplay wise, I don't really give one iota of as hit about historical accuracy in video games and having most people run around with automatic guns, uber shotguns, and fast firing accurate machineguns instead of everyone using lovely bolts is for the best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Imhotep posted:

Have they announced the PS Plus games this month? I need to renew my subscription but it's not really worth it if there aren't good games because I don't really have any games that I would want to play online yet.

They have; Game of Thrones Telltale season 1, Until Dawn, Thats You (A social game type thing) and crossplay Dont Die, Mr Robot.

Not a great month for me to be honest, I've tried a telltale game before and I bounced off it hard, its just not my kind of game. A lot of people really like Until Dawn, but similar to the telltale games its just not something that particularly appeals to me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Xaris posted:

Yeah BF1 is basically a WW2 shooter except with gas grenades (and a bit jankier tanks/planes) but they play close enough to WW2 that if you just reskinned and renamed everything to WW2-equivalent that all but the die-hard mil-history spergs wouldn't be able to tell the difference really.

Still was a p fun game and their decisions were for the best gameplay wise, I don't really give one iota of as hit about historical accuracy in video games and having most people run around with automatic guns, uber shotguns, and fast firing accurate machineguns instead of everyone using lovely bolts is for the best.

I actually want to try Battlefield 1, but don't know how active the online community at this point. Ideally, I'd like to get it for PC, but EA doesn't seem to put their PC stuff on sale very often (at least not to my knowledge), and it means having to deal with Origin. I'm also a bit miffed at the fact that the Red Baron was DLC/pre-order content

How does the PS4 version fare? Does the performance get a boost on the PS4 Pro?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Origin is pretty decent these days and has sales very often.

I dunno if it got a pro patch but I know at launch it had a dynamic resolution that was generally between 900-1000p on a standard so it'd keep framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Max Wilco posted:

I actually want to try Battlefield 1, but don't know how active the online community at this point. Ideally, I'd like to get it for PC, but EA doesn't seem to put their PC stuff on sale very often (at least not to my knowledge), and it means having to deal with Origin. I'm also a bit miffed at the fact that the Red Baron was DLC/pre-order content

How does the PS4 version fare? Does the performance get a boost on the PS4 Pro?

Ive actually only played it on the PC, sorry. I haven't played it for a few months after DICE started doing increasingly stupid changes, but the best mode, Operations was basically dead (as is Rush). But there's still Conquest and Frontlines which is pretty populated and it just got another map update so it's pretty healthy.

That said, you really want to play BF games when they are first released when everyone is noob and stupid and no one has figured out every nook and best weapon and most of the ez-new blood noobs are still around to make yourself feel good going 3+:1 kdr.