Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You haven't truly arrived until you finish the Tower though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How come there's no Berserk Abridged with Griffith voiced as a valley girl?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Verizian posted:

Griffith isn't like Vegeta and Frieza where you can give him funny lines and a silly voice and suddenly he's funny, I mean yes sure you can right until The Eclipse but the problem is The Eclipse, there is no way you can dress what Griffith does in there up as funny, there's really no space in there for comedy.

Like the only way you could do an Abridged version and have it be enjoyable (the eclipse is not and can never be enjoyable to read) is to do an abrupt cut from griffith in the water accidentally grabbing the behelith, to 'NOTE: The Band of the Hawk died on the way to their home planet', to Guts waking up in a cave.

Even if you did that you would still have to deal with the fact that post-eclipse Caska exists and any attempt to make her a funny character is an extremely sensitive subject.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 2, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Bisse posted:

Griffith isn't like Vegeta and Frieza where you can give him funny lines and a silly voice and suddenly he's funny, I mean yes sure you can right until The Eclipse but the problem is The Eclipse, there is no way you can dress what Griffith does in there up as funny or redeemable, there's no space in there for comedy.

Like the only way you could do an Abridged version and have it be enjoyable (the eclipse is not and can never be enjoyable to read) is to do an abrupt cut from griffith in the water accidentally grabbing the behelith, to 'NOTE: The Band of the Hawk died on the way to their home planet', to Guts waking up in a cave.

Even if you did that you would still have to deal with the fact that post-eclipse Caska exists and any attempt to make her a funny character is an extremely sensitive subject.

IIRC the old Abridged series had Griffith refuse, then get healed with magic elf dust. Like specifically because he couldn't make fun of the Eclipse and its aftermath. So obviously the rest of the series can't happen, but hey at least it's a happy ending?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I woke up still super bummed out and now I kind of wish Casca had died so the world has nothing else to tear away from Guts.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Verizian posted:

I'm pretty cool with the actual dub VA for Griffith just singing the BDSM version of Under the Sea and other Disney hits, tbh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I woke up still super bummed out and now I kind of wish Casca had died so the world has nothing else to tear away from Guts.

A big pert of what you just read was about Griffith thinking of Casca as a weapon against/conduit to Guts rather than a person in her own right.

Don't be like Griffith.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

A big pert of what you just read was about Griffith thinking of Casca as a weapon against/conduit to Guts rather than a person in her own right.

Don't be like Griffith.

You're totally right

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Rodyle posted:

You haven't truly arrived until you finish the Tower though

This. Good times ahead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rodyle posted:

You haven't truly arrived until you finish the Tower though experience your first hiatus

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The next arc is my favorite.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I followed Hunter X Hunter when it went on a year long hiatuses at various climaxes during the Chimera Ant arc. I enter the breach free of both desire and fear.

I really like that in the opening chapters The Godhand were like "wow this dude would be the dopest demon ever ayy lmao"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh poo poo wait, Emmy, now that you've finished the Golden Age, very important:

Watch the old dub bloopers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Oh poo poo wait, Emmy, now that you've finished the Golden Age, very important:

Watch the old dub bloopers.

Okay!

Speaking of the old anime I heard that it was weird and the ending made no sense if you hadn't read the manga orginally, am I past the point the old anime covers?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Okay!

Speaking of the old anime I heard that it was weird and the ending made no sense if you hadn't read the manga orginally, am I past the point the old anime covers?

Yeah it just kinda stops mid-Eclipse and then features Black Swordsman guys walking into the ether as a stinger, it's about the weirdest way you COULD handle it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

Okay!

The old anime starts with one episode of Black Swordsman stuff (he kills the slug count but doesn't meet the God Hand, iirc), and then at the end cuts off the eclipse just before Guts and Casca get rescued. It just shows black swordsman Guts alive somehow, walking off after his season-long flashback.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Begemot posted:

The old anime starts with one episode of Black Swordsman stuff (he kills the slug count but doesn't meet the God Hand, iirc), and then at the end cuts off the eclipse just before Guts and Casca get rescued. It just shows black swordsman Guts alive somehow, walking off after his season-long flashback.

But that whole flashback is amazing BECAUSE we meet The Godhand with Griffith!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yup, no mention of behilits either, so there's actually very little foreshadowing about the Eclipse

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

EmmyOk posted:

But that whole flashback is amazing BECAUSE we meet The Godhand with Griffith!

They have a weird dream sequence that ends with Guts yelling "Griffith!" at Femto but it's not as good.

Better than the movies though, which just jump straight into the Golden Age. I made my friends watch episode 1 of the anime before we watched the third movie to give some context. Then I said they should read it. They really liked the movies - unsurprisingly, they felt they got better over time and after the third one they just really wanted to know what happened next.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

Yup, no mention of behilits either, so there's actually very little foreshadowing about the Eclipse

Except Void talking about causality at the star of each episode.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The opening doesn't tell you poo poo about what activating a behilit entails

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Begemot posted:

I thought he killed the snake guy in that episode and the slug count didn't appear in the anime.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yep, it's just snakeman. Which is a pity really, the slug count and Escher godhand lair is one of the first things I think of when I think of Berserk.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

skasion posted:

Yep, it's just snakeman. Which is a pity really, the slug count and Escher godhand lair is one of the first things I think of when I think of Berserk.

Yeah, plus the count's backstory showed how he went from mortal -> demon, but couldn't sacrifice his daughter even when he was dying. It showed a greater depth to the Apostles than just the snakeman, who was a literal cannibal bogeyman.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope those religious guys show up and give Guts some holy artifacts to help in his slaughter of these bugs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I hope those religious guys show up and give Guts some holy artifacts to help in his slaughter of these bugs

ah....hm.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

... oh god I thought you were the guy who watched the anime and didn't know what Griffith did wrong

... oh my god keep posting :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This whole "he's scarier than the baddies" thing shows up a lot and heck I approve, I hope this is the last thing Femto/Griffith sees before being beheaded

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

morcant posted:

Yeah, plus the count's backstory showed how he went from mortal -> demon, but couldn't sacrifice his daughter even when he was dying. It showed a greater depth to the Apostles than just the snakeman, who was a literal cannibal bogeyman.

I'm still annoyed none of the animated adaptations bothered to do this part for some reason.

EmmyOk posted:

This whole "he's scarier than the baddies" thing shows up a lot and heck I approve, I hope this is the last thing Femto/Griffith sees before being beheaded

It seems like the only possible outcome right now, doesn't it? :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh flip these demons are all turning back into human corpses now, that looks pretty bad for Guts! I like the guy who realised it was the work of one man not an army of canons.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

EmmyOk posted:

Oh flip these demons are all turning back into human corpses now, that looks pretty bad for Guts! I like the guy who realised it was the work of one man not an army of canons.

It kind of reminds me of the "one man, six guns" scene in Boondock Saints.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

this arc is gonna hurt again

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The IOE doesn't like the meddlesome greedy lustful Godhand around running the show and is manipulating things to ensure the ascendence of the one true god, Guts.

skasion posted:

Well at least they left out Wyald. :rolleyes:

Bisse posted:

there's really no space in there for comedy... (the eclipse is not and can never be enjoyable to read)
Instead of the Hawks, make them the Chocolate Chips, and the Eclipse apostles are this great host of cookie monsters! :buddy:

You just have to look at this from their point of view, a bit of empathy, you know. Some of those apostles are quite pleased with the munchy treats. Apostles gotta eat. Next you'll be saying it was Griffith's fault.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Well at least they left out Wyald. :rolleyes:

"Left out" is exactly right. There's a lot of ways one can criticize Wyald but I have to say, as much as I love the show its replacement for Wyald is fuckin' nothing. Its just some dude who shows up to accomplish the simplest possible version of Wyald's role in the plot and then fucks off out of the show with no ceremony whatsoever. Like say what you will about Wyald, he's hosed up and in terrible taste even by the extremely trashy standards of this comic and there's no way they could have rendered him faithfully on TV, but he's sure a memorable character and he creates a memorable scene. The corresponding scene in the show is perfunctory, and that's too bad imo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They left out Silat, which is bad because SIlat is great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I totally don't like Wyald but they should have included him because he's good" is a way too frequently expressed view

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

"I totally don't like Wyald but they should have included him because he's good" is a way too frequently expressed view

I think he serves narrative purpose but I think his really bad parts could be excised really easily and still have him feature? Am I mistaken?

I don't know who I need Guts to kill most this arc but probably the Inquisitor. I'm telling myself I don't recognise those eyes appearing in the sky over the tower and I gotta say it's working wonders for my soul.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think it is Griffith actually because his eyes are slimmer and sexier and I feel like I saw this guy's face around recently

The one on the left, Conrad.

e: Also Skull Man showed up and said a leader would be around probably so that's what I mean by who i think it is

e: lmao never mind they just said it was Griff and he's gonna appear soon!!! fucccccck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think he serves narrative purpose but I think his really bad parts could be excised really easily and still have him feature? Am I mistaken?

This is my opinion, pretty much. Like, just remove the explicit rape scenes and it's immediately better while not really affecting anything*. He'd still end up being a grandstanding showboating wannabe rockstar.

*Actually you could say that about Berserk as a whole, really.