Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SubNat posted:

Nah, because the primary reason they evolved to do so was because they were bred in an enviroment that had a decent concentration of it in it. The moment they were let loose into a different, non-controlled enviroment, they'd adjust to fit that(Or more likely be outcompeted by bacteria from the same batch that never got around to mutating the ability to eat citrate.). The ability to process citrate would quickly get sorted away when it's not specifically helping them survive/thrive in their current enviroment.

It might even be hampering them in a non citrate-rich enviroment, as it's not like genes + the mechanisms to process citrate are free.

Nice try, citrate-eating e.coli monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's Mr Escherichia coli to you, don't be rude.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Slime posted:

Also they seem to expect a monkey to turn into a human before their very eyes, or at least give birth to a human. To them evolution is just one species going POOF and then it's another species, rather than an incredibly slow series of tiny little incremental changes.

I was reading somewhere that the image of evolution as a slow series of small changes is kind of false. Environmental upheavals can force rapid change in genes in order to hone whatever trait/s are best for survival in the new environment. It's evolution in fits and starts instead of steady adaption over long periods.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

Also they seem to expect a monkey to turn into a human before their very eyes, or at least give birth to a human. To them evolution is just one species going POOF and then it's another species, rather than an incredibly slow series of tiny little incremental changes.

Uh actually you just need to get the creature to a specific level then it'll evolve after combat. :smugbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUd5v6Jo7K4

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

there wolf posted:

I was reading somewhere that the image of evolution as a slow series of small changes is kind of false. Environmental upheavals can force rapid change in genes in order to hone whatever trait/s are best for survival in the new environment. It's evolution in fits and starts instead of steady adaption over long periods.

Isn't "rapid" change still like thousands of years though?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RatHat posted:

Isn't "rapid" change still like thousands of years though?

Not necessarily; the peppered moth population in England is one example of more rapid selection pressure.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Isn't sickle cell in humans an evolutionary counter to malaria?

It's most prevalent in malaria infested regions and people who have the non-disease version are almost immune to malaria.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Catberry posted:

Isn't sickle cell in humans an evolutionary counter to malaria?

Yes. But evolution has no agency. So its not a 'counter' like someone played on your magic card stack.

Sickle cell is a mutation that is still around because it let humans in malaria zones survive long enough to fuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkk.

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Jul 2, 2017

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The concept of "species" is pretty nebulous and hard to define in any case. For organisms that reproduce sexually, biologists typically use a definition of "can and do they interbreed," except that's not always so clear cut. Two animals might be closely enough related that fertile hybrids are possible if you combine sperm and ova in a petri dish, but in real life they might have obstacles preventing interbreeding, such as one being diurnal and the other nocturnal, or coming into season at different times in the year, or a purely mechanical difficulty. You're not going to see too many crosses between chihuahuas and great danes, after all, so are those two breeds of dogs different species? From a certain perspective, yes they are.

There's also the phenomenon of ring species. The herring gull is the most cited example of them, though there's others. There are seven species of herring gull, all very closely related, living in various points around the arctic circle. It seems that the species started at one point and migrated around the globe over a period of time, developing differences to suit the new environment they found themselves in. Each is capable of hybridizing successfully with the species east and west of it, but the first and last species in the ring can't reproduce together at all. Ring species are rare and often challenged, but they do show how fuzzy these lines we like to draw are.

With things like bacteria and other asexually-reproducing organisms, it's even more arbitrary, often coming down to a lot of "well, this E. coli is sufficiently different from that E. coli, because we say so."

Humans just like to categorize poo poo, but that doesn't mean the category is a real thing.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Fathis Munk posted:

The only thing evolving are these goalposts!

:v: :v: :v:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

AlbieQuirky posted:

Not necessarily; the peppered moth population in England is one example of more rapid selection pressure.

It's also an example of scientists not using proper scientific method to demonstrate something and isn't given as proof.

There's a theory called punctuated equilibrium in which one of the way evolution may show itself is many rapid changes before cooling off, so to speak, but it is not the only theory

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SubNat posted:

Nah, because the primary reason they evolved to do so was because they were bred in an enviroment that had a decent concentration of it in it. The moment they were let loose into a different, non-controlled enviroment, they'd adjust to fit that(Or more likely be outcompeted by bacteria from the same batch that never got around to mutating the ability to eat citrate.). The ability to process citrate would quickly get sorted away when it's not specifically helping them survive/thrive in their current enviroment.

It might even be hampering them in a non citrate-rich enviroment, as it's not like genes + the mechanisms to process citrate are free.

Also climate change is going to kill a lot of great crops or giant monoculture farms will finally get unlucky with the disease lottery and get wiped out.

Also some stupids have said that micro evolution is real but not macro.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Welcome to Earth!

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Slime posted:

I knew a Jehovah's Witness years ago, and her understanding of evolution was that a monkey decides it wants to fly, goes to sleep, and in the morning it has wings. She thought that was clearly absurd and so did not believe in evolution.
People who object to evolution generally have no idea about what it actually is.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/881432086795608064

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Where is this from?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Jippa posted:

Where is this from?

Here. Which is really more regular media but a take this hot is IoSM stupid.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mak0rz posted:

I'm going to go with stdh because she said she "felt dizzy."

How long does it take for an idling car to fill up a garage with enough CO anyway? I assume it takes a while.

A while back a discussion dissing some murder mystery show said modern cars aren't very good at killing people with CO. They produce some CO, but way more CO2, so the CO2 would make you feel like you were choking long before there was enough CO to kill you. It could still kill you eventually of course, but not the easy, relatively painless why that high CO does. You couldn't secretly kill someone with modern car exhaust, they would know they weren't getting enough air.

I don't know if it's true, but it sounds plausible. Having cars produce an undetectable fatal gas seems like a fault really.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Here. Which is really more regular media but a take this hot is IoSM stupid.

Cheers.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ugh, gently caress all of these assholes.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
where is a condom called a "johnny"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

They are called "jimmy hats".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A condrum.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Facebook Aunt posted:

A while back a discussion dissing some murder mystery show said modern cars aren't very good at killing people with CO. They produce some CO, but way more CO2, so the CO2 would make you feel like you were choking long before there was enough CO to kill you. It could still kill you eventually of course, but not the easy, relatively painless why that high CO does. You couldn't secretly kill someone with modern car exhaust, they would know they weren't getting enough air.

I don't know if it's true, but it sounds plausible. Having cars produce an undetectable fatal gas seems like a fault really.

It's really difficult to kill yourself with car exhaust on any car made in the past 30 years, and the results of trying are unpredictable at best. You will most likely just sit there feeling absolutely nothing until you give up, but with an old or poorly manufactured car (especially one not sold in US, EU, AU etc), you could possibly still kill yourself, or you could just end up giving yourself memory impairment, Parkinsons, or some other vague brain and nerve damage.

Now people generally use something to generate carbon monoxide, like a grill or a generator, but these have a good chance of making you feel like you're suffocating because the CO levels will be high enough to kill you eventually but not high enough to make you just fall asleep. A trial started a few weeks ago for the girl who texted her boyfriend to kill himself like this and to get back in the car when he started feeling like he was suffocating and got out.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The UK.
Also, "Mr Happy Hats", "Swimming Caps", "Seedbags", "Spinning Jenny" and "Bungles".

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

Enfys posted:

A trial started a few weeks ago for the girl who texted her boyfriend to kill himself like this and to get back in the car when he started feeling like he was suffocating and got out.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/michelle-carter-found-guilty-in-boyfriends-texting-suicide/ar-BBCH3Fo

She was convicted of involuntary manslaughter

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Britain. Particularly in the 90s. My sex-ed class featured a giant condom called Johnny singing country and western song about STDs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HAPJDvTcLE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

The UK.
Also, "Mr Happy Hats", "Swimming Caps", "Seedbags", "Spinning Jenny" and "Bungles".

Party hats, according to Madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufBJo8-AvUk

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Stoatbringer posted:

The UK.

The most famous "Rubber Johnny".. May be slightly :nms: for those not acclimated to Aphex Twin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-ZPTW4_IU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Fathis Munk posted:

But that's still not a 100% effective form of birth control on its own. Seepage happens.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Slime posted:

I live Pokemon

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

I think if they were being hosed they wouldn't be such assholes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I don't usually get anything noteworthy on my Facebook feed, but then this happened and it's so :psyduck: I had to share it.

It got 30 likes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
IoSM: You will be tried for your Facebook crime by your peers

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Thank god for the Facebill of Rights, is all I can say.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

About half of all the reviews on Amazon are like this. Why? Do you get fake internet points for saying 'I don't know'? Who has the time to answer questions that they don't know the answer to?!

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Nigel Tufnel posted:

About half of all the reviews on Amazon are like this. Why? Do you get fake internet points for saying 'I don't know'? Who has the time to answer questions that they don't know the answer to?!

I've started ignoring ratings for the most part because of idiots saying "Great product, and cheap! No complaints." Then they give it 3 or fewer stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I will occasionally get a Amazon email saying "can you answer this question about that widget you bought?"

I can imagine an unsavy old just clicking it and replying "sorry cant help"