Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Yes, Lootaz are solid anti vehicle options, including flyers. They will wound 'Talons on a 3 and deal 2 damage each. But he'll only be hitting on sixes...

He can only take 1 Klaw in the Stormboyz squad, regardless of size. But it can go up to a mob of 30 if he wanted to (or had the models).

Missing with all his Klaw attacks was certainly unfortunate; it's usually where like half the damage comes from against MEQ stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Felime posted:

Falling back: not just for shooty armies

What was he gonna do? Fall back so I can shoot him and assault him again?
To be fair, that was the only model left on that side of the board, and I basically had 2 chunky units of termagaunts. 1000 point list was:

1 Tervigon
1 Prime w/ swords
25 gaunts w/ 15 devourers
29 gaunts
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 VC
1 Exocrine

This is a tough 1000 point list.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hex Platformer is cheap and fun.

I e been looking at Pegasus. The chemical plant one is fantastic, only the scale is a little small.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

LordAba posted:

What was he gonna do? Fall back so I can shoot him and assault him again?
To be fair, that was the only model left on that side of the board, and I basically had 2 chunky units of termagaunts. 1000 point list was:

1 Tervigon
1 Prime w/ swords
25 gaunts w/ 15 devourers
29 gaunts
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 VC
1 Exocrine

This is a tough 1000 point list.

Oh. I thought you were the nurgle guy complaining about a cupola gaunts. Anything unsupported against gaunts is gonna be tarpitted forever.

That said, that list doesn't look too bad. Strong, but only armies with no plan for that sort of thing would have no chance.

Of course, I've been running a guard battalion at 1000 so that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Quick question regarding building a detachment- and while it seems obvious I'm really not sure anymore.

WRT faction keywords, the rule states, that in a restricted detachment all units in that detachment must share a faction keyword.

In the R&H list, all units have the [CHAOS] and [RENEGADES AND HERETICS] faction keywords.

In Index: Chaos, a Daemon Prince has the faction keywords [CHAOS] and [DAEMONS]

So with this info, if I wanted to fill out a battalion, I should be able to add a Daemon Prince within the same detachment, since it fills the [HQ] battlefield role, correct?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yes. When codexes eventually hit you'll have to pick between a broad variety from a wide keyword or a specific keyword with more sharply tailored abilities, but until then you have nothing to lose from super broad keywoard choices.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
They share the chaos keyword so you should be clear unless the R&H list specifies a specific unit list.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

I e been looking at Pegasus. The chemical plant one is fantastic, only the scale is a little small.

I love Pegasus and highly recommend them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Let me preface this by saying I don't know the Ork codex as well as I probably need to given that they seem like a perfectly viable army these days. I also had some issues during this particular game with my opponent not being clear with me on how things were armed or even what he took- on turn three he deepstruck a unit of Kommandos or something that I wasn't even aware were a part of his list since they were sitting with the rest of his models on a completely different table. I digress.

The Stormboyz looked like they were 10-15 models. The issue from what I remember was that he only had a single power klaw in the entire group, which fortunately managed to miss every attack he made with it. I'm not sure if he could have taken more in the squad or not, but given how the rest of his list looked I feel like if he could have he would. Buying a vehicle, even a relatively fragile one like a Stormtalon, under a simple volume of attacks seems like a losing proposition.

The single thing I was most afraid of killing my fliers all game was a large squad of lootas with some sort of weapon that got d3 shots but did 2 damage per. They were able to put out a pretty decent weight of fire and I think if he'd focused them on one of the Stormtalons I may have had issues.

15 Stormboyz is only 120 points, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do much. This edition seems to be all about getting massive squads. For example 30 Boyz and a PK Nob will cost 265 points and assuming none die before charging they will have 116 S4 attacks and another 4 S10, AP -3, D3 damage attacks.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
FAQ's for 8th ed are up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Stealth cross-post:

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my first Raven Guard Primaris Marine:

Model rules. Painting it was a ton of fun. 21 more to go!

This hobby is pretty fun right now.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's good for dissolving acrylic paint on a model without dissolving the plastic figure itself?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Sex Cannon posted:

Stealth cross-post:

That black armour is amazing, well done!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Explodes ruling is weird but kinda makes sense with how they're treating embarked models now.

Glad to see the clarification of Deep Strike etc. - so many people thought it was 8" charge when clearly it was 'over 9" away.'

Also the Berzerker ability is covered now which is good.

E: Ironclad launchers have a points cost now, and BA assault squads can take meltas again.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 2, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Thank god, my blood angels get their assault squad melta guns back.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I didn't even notice the Lord commisars power sword did 0 damage until now. I bet someone already used this to try and argue that his space Marines didn't take any damage.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Q. The Ork Battlewagon’s Mobile Fortress ability says the
Battlewagon ‘ignores the penalty for moving and firing Heavy
weapons’. Its Open-topped ability says that ‘restrictions and
modifiers that apply to this model also apply to its passengers’.
Does that mean that a unit embarked also ignores the penalty
for firing Heavy weapons if the battlewagon has moved?
A. No.

:(

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Nothing about using telelport homers to leave assault, but lots and lots of good stuff aside from that.

Making the Baal Predators Flamestorm Cannon heavy instead of Assault really makes the overcharged engines completely pointless now.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

I noticed something amusing. Skarbrand has a rule which forbids any units within 8" of him from falling back. This means if you pair him up with a bunch of Furies or other flying guys you can make any flyers with a minimum movement automatically crash by charging them and parking him within 8".

40k FAQ posted:

Q. If Skarbrand is within 8" of model that can Fly and has a minimum speed (such as a some Flyers), and that unit starts its Movement phase within 1" of an enemy unit, what happens? Is that unit destroyed because it cannot Fall Back and so cannot move its minimum speed?
A. Correct, the unit is destroyed.

Edit: OK this is bullshit. If you take multiple chainswords you get +1 attack for each, but if you take multiple sets of scything talons you only ever get +1 attack total.

At least GSC got some nice improvements though. Nid/GSC/AM detachment armies are legit, and purestrains got errata'd from 18 to 10 points per model

xtothez fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 2, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Weapon positions relative to their locations on vehicle hulls no longer matter, correct? There's no firing arcs or anything like that, and all vehicle weapons can "see" in every direction in 8th edition, correct? This includes flyers even though they have a fixed direction they have to fly in?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Weapon positions relative to their locations on vehicle hulls no longer matter, correct? There's no firing arcs or anything like that, and all vehicle weapons can "see" in every direction in 8th edition, correct? This includes flyers even though they have a fixed direction they have to fly in?

Yep. Feuer frei.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Page 76
– Sicarian Infiltrators
Change the Attacks value on the Sicarian Infiltrator
profile line to read ‘2’.
Change the Attacks value on the Sicarian Princeps
profile line to read ‘3’.

But.. Ruststalkers are also 3/4 attacks? Why did they also not get nerfed? I don't get it whatsoever

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

quote:

WARHAMMER 40,000 – INDEX: IMPERIUM 2
Page 122
– Acolytes
Change the Wounds characteristic to read ‘1’.
drat, guess that was weirdly high.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Oh, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing some crazy Inquisition lists

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Stormhawk Interceptors and Stormtalons both have a special rule called Interceptors ...Except the Stormhawk's gives it a bonus against units that fly and the Stormtalon's gives it a bonus against units that cannot fly.

I assume the distinction was intentional (one's better at shooting at flyers and one's better at shooting non-flyers) but was the confusion caused by naming both of the rules the same thing also intentional? :stare:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
lol at monstrous rending claws still being free on a Hive Tyrant.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Xenos 2 FAQ posted:

Q. Can I have a Battle-forged army that consists of one Detachment of Genestealer Cults, one Detachment of Astra Militarum (using the Brood Brothers rule) and one Detachment of Tyranids?
A. Yes.

Not a GSC player, but neat that that has been cleared up: let's see what terrifying combos can be made with that. . .

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Also, still no points modification to Thunder Hammers vs Power Fists on non-character units ...even though they're the same points cost and there's literally no reason whatsoever to take a Power Fist over a Thunder Hammer in the current rules... Sigh.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

lol at monstrous rending claws still being free on a Hive Tyrant.

What you gain in efficiency, you lose horribly in style.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Miruvor posted:

Page 76
– Sicarian Infiltrators

But.. Ruststalkers are also 3/4 attacks? Why did they also not get nerfed? I don't get it whatsoever

Ruststalkers can't deep strike and are missing pistol 3/5 ranged weapons. A basic rustalker is 20 points while an Infiltrator with a power sword, pistol 3 S4, deepstrike, and -1 leadership aura is only 24 points.

Stanley Tucheetos fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 2, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Oh, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing some crazy Inquisition lists

Still going to build a squad of them because they're a cool thing to have but sad they wont be quite as effective meatshields.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
One thing that I omitted from my pseudo-batrep: I can't tell if this is some echo chamber effect or not, but it really did seem like people were more excited for 8th and 40k in general than I've seen in 6th or 7th. There were two other games going on at the same time at the store, one of which was someone who hadn't played 40k in a while and seemed really jazzed about trying out the new version. Before, you might have seen one game of 40k and the rest would be Malifaux or Dark Age (or, in prior years, Warmahordes), but yesterday everyone was playing, watching, or talking about 40k.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

Stealth cross-post:

Awesome. I wish my version of this guy was that good:

You motivated me to paint more Raven Guard biglys

Were are the transfers from? Are those Forgeworld?

Ayn Marx fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 2, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PantsOptional posted:

One thing that I omitted from my pseudo-batrep: I can't tell if this is some echo chamber effect or not, but it really did seem like people were more excited for 8th and 40k in general than I've seen in 6th or 7th. There were two other games going on at the same time at the store, one of which was someone who hadn't played 40k in a while and seemed really jazzed about trying out the new version. Before, you might have seen one game of 40k and the rest would be Malifaux or Dark Age (or, in prior years, Warmahordes), but yesterday everyone was playing, watching, or talking about 40k.

8th edition was the first of New Games Workshop TM. I sound sarcastic but im not, unlike previous editions they actually engaged customers and discussed rule changes leading up to it, rather than handling it behind closed doors then dumping it on our laps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Different size marines look so terrible next to each other. Simply have no desire to mix the forces right now. Just looks so bad.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Different size marines look so terrible next to each other. Simply have no desire to mix the forces right now. Just looks so bad.

Couldn't agree more. I really can't imagine squatmarines being played that much when the bigly range has been expanded...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Only change of real note for Imperial Guard was that the 'take shitloads of command squads' army idea was immediately scotched. I really hope some salty grognard had already bought £500 worth of Scion boxes. Although to be fair, they're still pretty good as ordinary squads + officers and command squads.

Also noted you can't make your Officers the 'Militarum Auxilia' Regiment in order to give orders to Ogryns and Ratlings. Can't believe some people would try that after reading in the book that you can't make your officers 'Militarum Tempestus'. Surely the implication was already clear?

xtothez posted:

Edit: OK this is bullshit. If you take multiple chainswords you get +1 attack for each, but if you take multiple sets of scything talons you only ever get +1 attack total.

At least GSC got some nice improvements though. Nid/GSC/AM detachment armies are legit, and purestrains got errata'd from 18 to 10 points per model

Saw the Genestealer Cult purestrain change. I would of expected them to be reduced to the same cost as for Tyranids (12 ppm) since the units are AFAIK identical - I wonder they they're even cheaper? Terrifying in either case, Genestealers are loving awesome.

Miruvor posted:

Page 76
– Sicarian Infiltrators

Interestingly, there is no such thing as a 'Sicarian Princeps' - only Infiltrator and Ruststalker Princeps. I guess another FAQ is required (I know it's perfectly clear what they meant, before anyone gets sarcastic).

I view this as sweet, sweet justice - played yesterday and watched a squad of 5 infiltrators delete a 10-man IG Infantry squad in a turn of pistol shooting, before running through to murder my warlord and another squad.

Artum posted:

The thing is, Inquisitorial Acolytes have got to be close to the worst unit in the game in this case. You're getting Imperial Guardsmen with an inbuilt re-rolling ability, great, but for more than double the cost, with weapons (which they do have great access to) also far more expensive. For a small, tailor-made squad, they sure do have absolutely nothing special about them. You'd think Inquisitors would find the really good imperial henchmen to give them a hand, not the bog-standard rank & file!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

8th edition was the first of New Games Workshop TM. I sound sarcastic but im not, unlike previous editions they actually engaged customers and discussed rule changes leading up to it, rather than handling it behind closed doors then dumping it on our laps.

I mean poo poo, it's been two weeks or something and we already have a really solid FAQ. Things are looking really promising for 8th

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ayn Marx posted:

Couldn't agree more. I really can't imagine squatmarines being played that much when the bigly range has been expanded...

I'm more irritated that GW is trying to down play this than just come out and say the new range is replacing the old range deal with it and enjoy better models. . It's already the most popular range with so many sub-ranges. Yes, they needed an update and yes the models are great. This whole parallel development is so dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm more irritated that GW is trying to down play this than just come out and say the new range is replacing the old range deal with it and enjoy better models. . It's already the most popular range with so many sub-ranges. Yes, they needed an update and yes the models are great. This whole parallel development is so dishonest.

You are weirdly obsessed by this.