Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Why is OKC letting him walk? He's a solid player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Mambold posted:

The tax?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

leftist heap posted:

lmfao, I totally forgot about that insane buzzer beater.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The wizards signed Jodie Meeks, with their exception, for two years/7m. Pretty good deal if he stays healthy, which is a large question for Jodie Meeks

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Mr. Mambold posted:

beyond the financial stuff, I think they want a power forward who can step out and shoot a 3. I suspect there's a mandate to open up the offense as much as possible while still playing Roberson and Adams a lot to maintain the defense. PG contributes to that, but they need another shooter, preferably a big.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Michael Corleone posted:

What am I missing as to why KD won't just take his full cap hold? Just to save the owner money?

If you could keep the GSW super team together by taking 4 million less dollars, that's a pretty easy decision. KD makes that back from his endorsements in a week

He's not David West ring chasing for the vet min. He's still pulling in 31 mil

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bashez posted:

It looks like the Spurs not only might not get any new pieces in free agency but might keep their second star that is incredibly unhappy playing with the franchise.

I think this off season is even worse than that one where everyone said there was no way Richard Jefferson was going to opt out and then he opts out and then the Spurs just sign him for longer.

I guess Pau is a repeat of that one, except Pau was actually good until the end of the year.
Yeah, I'd say I'm disappointed but deep down I'm pretty sure I expected this.
Maybe we'll still be able to unload LMA but if not on the bright side even if we go into training camp w/him maybe he'll understand his lowered value/absorb the nearly widespread media criticism, and realize he's in a contract year? You better play hard mafucka

At this point I don't even want us to take a shot at d rose or any PGs since with what's left I'd rather just give Dejounte more minutes. Maybe we'll still be able to sign Simmons and grab one of the good to decent free agent bigs no one cares about

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It has recently started bothering me that James Johnson looks a little too much like Enzo Amore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYH4UWMU4A

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
David West is making like 2.5 million from minimum vet which is kinda ridiculous.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tae posted:

David West is making like 2.5 million from minimum vet which is kinda ridiculous.

It's much less of a sacrifice now and going forward, it's all opportunity cost/marginal income cause it's still the kind of money you can live large and put away for life on

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Any news about how Hayward's Boston meeting went.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Strawberry Panda posted:

Still going on I think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Parziale_Here/status/881519023774728193

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Taj on a two year deal is fantastic. That defense is going to be very solid, Taj and KAT are very complementary defensively, Dieng can spend more time as a bench 5, and your starting lineup has multiple pick and pop/roll options.

I'd like them to find another ok bench wing, but at this point we're probably at 1 year or minimum contracts.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

"Apple. Coca-Cola. Vinnie Chase."

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, I'd say I'm disappointed but deep down I'm pretty sure I expected this.
Maybe we'll still be able to unload LMA but if not on the bright side even if we go into training camp w/him maybe he'll understand his lowered value/absorb the nearly widespread media criticism, and realize he's in a contract year? You better play hard mafucka

At this point I don't even want us to take a shot at d rose or any PGs since with what's left I'd rather just give Dejounte more minutes. Maybe we'll still be able to sign Simmons and grab one of the good to decent free agent bigs no one cares about

spurs don't need guards anymore. they've got like 7 or something silly.

spurs need bigs desperately. currently only have Gasol, LMA, and Bertans.

i think they're watching the market to see if they can get another deal on Dedmon, or potentially bring over Milutinov who would be a probably be a project

haven't heard anything about Lee, but i liked him last year, so the spurs are probably also wait to see what kind of offers he'd get.

remember, spurs don't have much wiggle room at all and if they can keep the current roster as is then that's still a ~60 win, WCF team that will have another year of playing in the system together. considering there were like 7 new players last year, another year of seasoning will do a world of good. spurs would still have the absolute best wing defense in the league and the probable MVP. perhaps murray has a break out year, that would be exciting.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

beyond the financial stuff, I think they want a power forward who can step out and shoot a 3. I suspect there's a mandate to open up the offense as much as possible while still playing Roberson and Adams a lot to maintain the defense. PG contributes to that, but they need another shooter, preferably a big.

Idk, unless there were chemistry issues (which I doubt) I think someone is over micro-managing this poo poo. They need to keep a somewhat same roster for a year or 3 ffs. I admit I don't get the nuances of the finances, but letting Gibson go and going after Rudy Gay with his injury don't make no sense to me.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/editor_dan/status/881332808714788864

It's time to have a serious discussion: Does Kawhi Leonard own any clothes that weren't given to him by his basketball team

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

xbilkis posted:

It's time to have a serious discussion: Does Kawhi Leonard own any clothes that weren't given to him by his basketball team

Kawhi seems like a guy who would rather diversify his investment portfolio than buy a pair of shoes.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

yes, this one shirt:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wtf Kawhi hair power up and he was at south coast plaza?!? just barely missed meeting the true MVP

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

haha suck it Lacob
https://twitter.com/aaronbruski/status/881564830091452416

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What if Taj just wanted to play for thibs and it doesn't have to do anything with the thunder at all

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Idk, unless there were chemistry issues (which I doubt) I think someone is over micro-managing this poo poo. They need to keep a somewhat same roster for a year or 3 ffs. I admit I don't get the nuances of the finances, but letting Gibson go and going after Rudy Gay with his injury don't make no sense to me.

We're literally deep in the tax and up against the hard cap right now with Roberson still to re-sign and figuring how to fit Gay in with the MLE. Team construction goals aside, if that's the deal Taj was looking for money-wise we literally couldn't pay that without abandoning Gay AND Roberson. He was always a rental, not a long-term core piece.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think of the Ibaka signing?

Metapod posted:

What if Taj just wanted to play for thibs and it doesn't have to do anything with the thunder at all

He has a cold weather oriented wardrobe and didn't want to have to buy all new clothes

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/881551342770192386
Somebody gon get some kinda deal on some ting

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 2, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lmao

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mandrel posted:

We're literally deep in the tax and up against the hard cap right now with Roberson still to re-sign and figuring how to fit Gay in with the MLE. Team construction goals aside, if that's the deal Taj was looking for money-wise we literally couldn't pay that without abandoning Gay AND Roberson. He was always a rental, not a long-term core piece.

We are neither in the tax nor in a hard cap

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Golden State being so deep into the tax potentially for a long time is pretty interesting because Lacob for all his talk is probably one of the least wealthy owners in the league. He's barely richer than Michael Jordan. And unlike the other Just Billionaire owners in the league his net worth is almost certainly driven by a ton of inflated tech bubble crap (unlike other guys who get their wealth from blue chip poo poo and commodities). Who knows what his entire portfolio is like but his most recent high profile investments are some trumped up Fitbit thing aimed at athletes (for which he is personally invested) and a company that makes this thing:

He also personally invested in imoji, a company founded by his son. GSW is almost certainly the biggest driver of his net worth at this point.

I know this is all bullshit and meaningless because when you're that wealthy you literally can't fail, but it's interesting to me 'cause richer owners balk at smaller luxury tax bills. NBA teams almost literally pay for themselves because of the structure of the league, but luxury penalties are the one thing that actually eat into the bottom line for the owners. A few seasons of a high tax bill for Lacob will definitely be noticeable for him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/881578186764541953

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Details on PJ Tucker contract:
17-18: $7.59M
18-19: $7.97M
19-20: $8.35M
20-21: $7.97M (only $2.57M g'teed)

Not too bad, especially with the 4th year partial. I don't think that would be a hard contract to move at all in 2-3 years if needed.

Also

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/881584292777910272

Yeah, I'd say so

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Metapod posted:

We are neither in the tax nor in a hard cap

I meant after those signings that's the area you're in. We're going to be in the luxury after the Roberson signing (presumably) and then you've still got to get Gay somehow with like 8-10ish million. I don't know if there's a reason we don't stretch Singler if we can't dump him, but I'm not sure how much that frees up. And there's still no backup PG.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder/cap/

Edit: re-reading my original post I worded that pretty poorly so womp

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 2, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah, I'm still thinking about Ibaka tweeting out how disappointed he is in the world for not implicitly trusting the reputation of the civil registry and administration of Brazzaville ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index )

I didn't remember that Ibaka's cousin got busted lying about his age
https://deadspin.com/junior-etou-age-unknown-transfers-to-tulsa-1700640724

I rewatched Son Of The Congo and the french folks who discovered him cite his u18 playing as like watching "a professional athlete playing a bunch of boys" and they give an unsure range of ages (10, 11, 12, whatever) he could possibly be when telling the story :xd:

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 2, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings are probably going to whiff and anything and everything and I'm ok with that

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

This is poignant and a metaphor for the Trail Blazers' season somehow. I'm not smart enough to tie it all together but I know a metaphor when I see one.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

"Apple. Coca-Cola. Vinnie Chase."

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/881562414482948096

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings are probably going to whiff and anything and everything and I'm ok with that

*points to wise temple* Can't make any bad moves if you don't make any moves

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yes I do remember that CP3 got traded to the Rockets thanks bleacher report

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

lol every time i click an NBA Twitter link nowadays the first reply in the chain is that loving photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I know it makes zero sense in light of the point guard glut and big man deficit in San Antonio right now but bring back Handsome George Hill please

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think of the Ibaka signing?

The Raptors are going to pay a lot of money to keep together a core that won't make it back to the ECF without a lot of injury luck

Honestly depending on your opinion they're anywhere from the third to sixth best team in the East and of those six teams their future is the darkest both in the short and long term. They're stupidly profitable but they're essentially stuck in the same position that the Nuggets were in their post-Melo heyday: 45-52 wins, decent playoff showings, dead free agent periods, the beat goes on. Do you blow it up? Idk, if the Knicks manage to get Ujiri I guess you do so that the new pres can start things off right but otherwise the team is profitable and Toronto mostly seems to love them so why

I wouldn't sign Ibaka but I don't know what else they're doing with that money and they gave up assets sorta to get him so I guess roll the dicd

• Locked thread