Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never seen Teen Titans Go because I didn't like the animation style, but I have a hard time believing it could be any worse than Young Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
TTG is basically the weird but perfect Cartoon Network TV shows I used to grow up with like Cow & Chicken, Dexter's Lab, Freakazoid, I Am Weasel, Powerpuff Girls - in a DC Universe.

It's super zany and amazing, but they aren't good at putting out DVDs so it's next to impossible to keep up with.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ufarn posted:

TTG is basically the weird but perfect Cartoon Network TV shows I used to grow up with like Cow & Chicken, Dexter's Lab, Freakazoid, I Am Weasel, Powerpuff Girls - in a DC Universe.

It's super zany and amazing, but they aren't good at putting out DVDs so it's next to impossible to keep up with.

One of my favorite episodes is "The Best Robin" where Robin's VO Scott Menville voices Carrie Kelly, pre-Crisis Jason Todd, and Tim Drake in addition to Dick:

https://youtu.be/Xa_xNsTK-vE

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TwoPair posted:

One of the best and most well-regarded Looney Tunes ever is "Duck Amuck", a 7 minute short wherein Bugs Bunny tortures Daffy Duck by ripping his very reality asunder.

Daffy being a psychopath towards Porky for no damned reason is also a thing. Like when he worked at the hospital and kidnapped Porky off the street so he would have a patient. Or when they had to share a hotel room. There's also the well liked shorts where Daffy and Bugs both try to get Elmer Fudd to shoot the other repeatedly. Or the one where Daffy eventually tries to murder Bugs over a talent show before eventually literally killing himself.

That said, TTG has made me chuckle quite often. It's a 10 minute comedy cartoon that is not designed to be particularly narrative based. I am pretty sure the hatred is almost entirely derived from TT fans being sour over that shows cancellation and other people bandwagoning from there.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TTG's only failing is that a lot of people go in expecting the old Teen Titans or something wholesome or some dramatic superhero thing.

If it's not your type of comedy, fine, but it's a lot of other people's.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There a few episodes with gags that sexualize Starfire and Raven that are kind of weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't care about TTG in relation to the old show. It's a loud, ugly thing that's crass and every single joke insists on itself to the point it's no longer funny. I'm willing to admit that I've been off in regards to my description of Looney Tunes and the comedic trope of characters being awful to one another, but TTG commits it to such excess to the point its characters become tiresome. The only show it should really be compared to is the aforementioned DC Nation shorts, which take the same format and does it infinitely better.

That being said, wanting to be seen as its own thing didn't stop it from directly lifting the "Beast Boy gets a job working for a tofu alien" from the original and just regurgitating it. No jokes about doing so. No subverting any of the plot points or expectations for comedic purposes. It's just the same god drat story, only now in 11 minutes instead of thirty.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

There a few episodes with gags that sexualize Starfire and Raven that are kind of weird.
Yeah that's the one part I don't like about it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TFRazorsaw posted:

a loud, ugly thing that's crass

TFRazorsaw posted:

insists on itself

TFRazorsaw posted:

no longer funny.

TFRazorsaw posted:

insists on itself

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ToastyPotato posted:

Daffy being a psychopath towards Porky for no damned reason is also a thing. Like when he worked at the hospital and kidnapped Porky off the street so he would have a patient. Or when they had to share a hotel room. There's also the well liked shorts where Daffy and Bugs both try to get Elmer Fudd to shoot the other repeatedly. Or the one where Daffy eventually tries to murder Bugs over a talent show before eventually literally killing himself.

That said, TTG has made me chuckle quite often. It's a 10 minute comedy cartoon that is not designed to be particularly narrative based. I am pretty sure the hatred is almost entirely derived from TT fans being sour over that shows cancellation and other people bandwagoning from there.

I never understood that. The original Teen Titans is actually my favorite DC animated show, since it's a show that meant a lot to me while growing up, but Teen Titans had been over since 2006, and had actually ended how they wanted it to end. It's not like they cancelled TT and immediately replaced it with TTG.

I think there were ideas for a season 6, but the focus would have shifted from the main five characters, and been primarily about characters like Jericho and Pantha that were introduced in S5, and that just sounds worse than TTG to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What? You don't see how a show that constantly overdoes it's jokes, as if it were reminding the audience its trying to tell you one, insists upon itself? It's constantly reminding you what it's premise is, as if it were going "why aren't you laughing?" That's what "insisting upon itself" means.

It has an entire episode that's just two characters going "waffles waffles waffles". It incessantly reminds you of its premise and its single joke. That's insisting upon itself by definition.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TFRazorsaw posted:

What? You don't see how a show that constantly overdoes it's jokes, as if it were reminding the audience its trying to tell you one, insists upon itself? It's constantly reminding you what it's premise is, as if it were going "why aren't you laughing?" That's what "insisting upon itself" means.

It has an entire episode that's just two characters going "waffles waffles waffles". It incessantly reminds you of its premise and its single joke. That's insisting upon itself by definition.

"Insisting upon itself" is a nonsense phrase invented by Seth Rogen for Family Guy, "a loud, ugly thing that's crass" and "no longer funny."

I had hoped you were doing some sort of meta joke, but apparently not.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Roth posted:

I think there were ideas for a season 6, but the focus would have shifted from the main five characters, and been primarily about characters like Jericho and Pantha that were introduced in S5, and that just sounds worse than TTG to me.

Actually, Teen Titans Unlimited sounds awesome

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Toshimo posted:

"Insisting upon itself" is a nonsense phrase invented by Seth Rogen for Family Guy, "a loud, ugly thing that's crass" and "no longer funny."

I had hoped you were doing some sort of meta joke, but apparently not.

I have no memory of where I heard it before, only that it entered my vocabulary at one point and it seemed to make sense.

Also Seth Rogen doesn't work on that show as far as I know.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I have no memory of where I heard it before, only that it entered my vocabulary at one point and it seemed to make sense.

Also Seth Rogen doesn't work on that show as far as I know.

Todd McFarland?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

You know a show that shares similarities to TTG but is at least sometimes funny? Sonic Boom.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Toshimo posted:

Todd McFarland?

YOU'RE NOT FUNNY

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why is this argument continuing. You aren't going to convince people who liked a show that you don't that it's always bad and their enjoyment was a delusion

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Autism Sneaks posted:

Actually, Teen Titans Unlimited sounds awesome

Maybe if those characters were interesting, but the likes of Jericho and Pantha are really bottom of the barrel.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

TFRazorsaw posted:

The joke in that episode is the other characters either being annoyed by or trying to get in on their in-joke until they defeat a villain by refusing to let go of the joke even under the most horrific torture from a robot that is designed to experience and create nothing but pain. Then they decide the joke is played out after what is, in our time, 10 minutes, because now everyone's in on the joke and ruined it.

That's a great episode.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If your premise is to beat something into the ground only for the punchline to be "you ruined it" when by some miracle finally accepts it, in the end you still spent 10 minutes beating something into the ground.

But really, the issues with TTG's approach to comedy can be summed up in the words from Mark Twain:

quote:

The humorous story is told gravely; the teller does his best to conceal the fact that he even dimly suspects that there is anything funny about it; but the teller of the comic story tells you beforehand that it is one of the funniest things he has ever heard, then tells it with eager delight, and is the first person to laugh when he gets through. And sometimes, if he has had good success, he is so glad and happy that he will repeat the "nub" of it and glance around from face to face, collecting applause, and then repeat it again. It is a pathetic thing to see.

Very often, of course, the rambling and disjointed humorous story finishes with a nub, point, snapper, or whatever you like to call it. Then the listener must be alert, for in many cases the teller will divert attention from that nub by dropping it in a carefully casual and indifferent way, with the pretense that he does not know it is a nub.

But the teller of the comic story does not slur the nub; he shouts at you--every time. And when he prints it, in England, France, Germany and Italy, he italicises it, puts some whooping exclamation-points after it, and sometimes explains it in a parenthesis. All of which is very depressing, and makes one want to renounce joking and lead a better life.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just wanted to say that Sonic Boom has some fantastic jokes and I don't think believing that has to be at odds with finding TTG entertaining at times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Teen Titans Go is definitely better than the Teen Titans DTV movie that just came out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Teen Titans Go is definitely better than the Teen Titans DTV movie that just came out.

To be fair, it's better than most of the DTV DC movies as of late.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, they're just really joyless and unfun in a way that's really hard for me to put my finger on (which really bugs me: usually I can zero in on stuff like that but I can hardly even retain the DTV movies. There's a sort of relentlessness to them that reminds me of the reason I loved Marvel cartoon shows as a kid in the late 90's and got really confused at how incredibly boring and overwrought the comics were).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

To be fair chemical castration is better than most DTV DC movies as of late.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

That's like, the lowest bar to clear.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TwoPair posted:

That's like, the lowest bar to clear.

And yet Assault on Arkham was better than Suicide Squad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And yet Assault on Arkham was better than Suicide Squad.

You mean Oscar™-winning Suicide Squad? No way :rolleyes:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

If your premise is to beat something into the ground only for the punchline to be "you ruined it" when by some miracle finally accepts it, in the end you still spent 10 minutes beating something into the ground.

But really, the issues with TTG's approach to comedy can be summed up in the words from Mark Twain:

Holy poo poo we get it, you're autistic, leave Samuel Clemens out of it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh boy. Here we go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You know, speaking of funny shows, that TMNT CG cartoon is also really funny and also has cool fights and interesting takes on classic villains. Except Bebop and Rocksteady, their version sucks. The only real cricitism I can level at it is that they had a really neat romantic subplot going and then at some point it just kind of froze up at the "will-they won't-they" stage, which I find weird.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

You know, speaking of funny shows, that TMNT CG cartoon is also really funny and also has cool fights and interesting takes on classic villains. Except Bebop and Rocksteady, their version sucks. The only real cricitism I can level at it is that they had a really neat romantic subplot going and then at some point it just kind of froze up at the "will-they won't-they" stage, which I find weird.

Well, that's the trouble with a running romantic subplot in an open-ended series, it happens all the time. Just look at almost any sitcom. Once they get told they have one season left they'll wrap it up. Anyway, what I've seen of the show is pretty good, but I haven't see much of it. Probably more than I have of any TMNT series though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I heard that it starts getting bad after the first season or two but I guess I'll give it a shot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lurdiak posted:

Well, that would mean a human girl being in a relationship with an anthropomorphic turtle, which would be rather awkward.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought the first season was great, second season was okay, third season was when I stopped watching.
There's a lot of promise in the first season that does not get followed up on, and some of their reinvention ideas get worse as time goes on. See Rocksteady and Bebop, which would've been fine as new characters - and about that time both the comics and live action movie introduced the characters in a more faithful manner.

Though... I have heard they're bringing Usagi Yojimbo on... tempting to catch up and see that.

Cannot compare it to the 2003 series, missed that and don't have time to watch right now. And if I'm going to watch a western animated superhero show it's lower priority than that CG green lantern series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, that would mean a human girl being in a relationship with an anthropomorphic turtle, which would be rather awkward.

Then why even set it up? Like, they spent an entire season building it up, then just kinda stopped. Usually when characters are stuck in will-they-won't-they hell it's established in like 5 episodes or less and becomes very obvious that this is going to be how it is, I've never seen it progress naturally and then just stop before.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I thought the first season was great, second season was okay, third season was when I stopped watching.
There's a lot of promise in the first season that does not get followed up on, and some of their reinvention ideas get worse as time goes on. See Rocksteady and Bebop, which would've been fine as new characters - and about that time both the comics and live action movie introduced the characters in a more faithful manner.

Though... I have heard they're bringing Usagi Yojimbo on... tempting to catch up and see that.

Cannot compare it to the 2003 series, missed that and don't have time to watch right now. And if I'm going to watch a western animated superhero show it's lower priority than that CG green lantern series.

The 2003 series is some dull poo poo. If there's one thing the old 80s cartoon could do, no matter how loving bad their stories were and how lame their conflict resolution was once they stopped being allowed to show the turtles using martial arts, it was land a joke. I don't think the 2003 cartoon made me laugh once. And that's just sad.

I mean it's got other problems but if a cartoon's gonna have lame fights and stupid plots it should at least be funny.

I did like Turtles Forever, though. Although I think it's impossible not to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Aquaman's design in that Flashpoint Parabox movie is so gross

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Calaveron posted:

Man Aquaman's design in that Flashpoint Parabox movie is so gross

edit: I watched Flashpoint Paradox and War on the same day and felt like War was a palate cleanser, that's how dire Flashpoint is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Samuringa posted:

edit: I watched Flashpoint Paradox and War on the same day and felt like War was a palate cleanser, that's how dire Flashpoint is

I'm actually kinda enjoying it, at least for grumpier Batman
But man it sure has a whole lot of blood